Fresh Produce Beat Battle 1: Swiffness! v. tommyj56304 (Winner: Swiffness!)

Options
2»

Comments

• scotty b
    scotty b Members Posts: 216
    edited August 2010
    Options
    first beat was better neither was all that good though
  • tommyj56304
    tommyj56304 Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Nice remix swiif. i'll concede this round. I had some trouble with mine. Lets get to the final round
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The hi-hats on the first half were ? is a sad attempt to compliment the ? up acapella flow.

The 2nd half is the best beat in the thread.

Both halves & the hook is from "New York Times" by Cat Stevens. I just went through all the songs in the "N" section here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_New_York_City

went through maybe 30 songs before finding Yusef Islam's joint
  • tommyj56304
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Where do you get your songs from then? I just sample from cds and records I have, but if I downloaded songs I could increase my options. i never even thought of that.
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Where do you get your songs from then? I just sample from cds and records I have, but if I downloaded songs I could increase my options. i never even thought of that.

are you serious bruh? i got terabytes of music just to sample, all courtesy of the net. i know you don't think ? is diggin like that wit all this free ? ouchea.
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    drematic wrote: »
    are you serious bruh? i got terabytes of music just to sample, all courtesy of the net. i know you don't think ? is diggin like that wit all this free ? ouchea.

word, i be downloadin ? like "Every Miles Davis recording ever" that's like 100+ albums deep....i've barely scratched the surface of them giant-ass discographies.....

you can find super-rare ? on the net too. and i mean SUPER-RARE...the best is when you check back on the site you got it from and see that the site shut down. like "YESSSSSS MINE ALL MINE" lol

u just gotta learn to look where other producers don't
  • tommyj56304
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You don't have to tell me what sites you use but what types of sites do you find free music like that?
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited August 2010
    Options
    check out some of the blogs i got listed under "blogs i ? wit" on my blog http://krookedkingdom.blogspot.com -- there should be plenty to keep you busy. you might want to invest in an external hard drive or two too buddy.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tell 'em - blogspots are your FRIEND - LOL; like gorilla grodd said, get you a external drive and a rapidshare account wouldn't hurt either...........
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    While the judges chime in on the victor of Rounds 1 and 2..........

Tha Killa wrote:
    Round 3 is the K.O. round, and it will consist of me giving both producers an old Soul, Rock, Jazz, Blues, Swing, Folk or Reggae song to sample and the person who best flips the sample wins the Round.

Round 3 begins with both producers sampling THIS song to the best of their ability. And whoever wins this Round will be awarded 3 points.

So make it count! I expect your submissions by Friday evening. Let's say 5:00 P.M. PST?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    HI :)

Tommy J :(
    Swiffness :)

Tommy J the beat is lacking fullness of sound. It isnt polished at all ( are you using fruity loops? you can get a more polished sound with that program).
    You are a half beat late on the beat because you didnt drop the beat on the down beat which created a difficult syncopation of the melody and the rhythm.
    You tried to cover the mistake with that grrrr sound in the background which was not working because that background sound created a distraction for me because
    it did not bring anything new or surprising rhythmically for your beat. It was truly an annoyance. I wanted to know why that buzzing or grrr sound was there.
    Also, this beat doesnt give the listener a view point of who you are as a person. I would suggestion taking music 101 to learn how rhythm actually work or I can
    teach you the basics ( no diss). Also , the beat wasnt rock/rap it was more of a si fi feel. It was wack real talk. I would suggest listening to some african music
    and you can hear the how the beat lays down and when it is time to kick the rhythm.

Swiffness! hands ? down this is dope. I could hear this on the radio. It's a clean beat. It's on rhythm and you have this sick EAR on blending beats. I want to have it
    on my black berry. No need to divulge on way this beat is dope. It just is. Everything makes sense and it goes along with the theme. loves u..
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

Tommy J the beat is lacking fullness of sound. It isnt polished at all ( are you using fruity loops? you can get a more polished sound with that program).
    You are a half beat late on the beat because you didnt drop the beat on the down beat which created a difficult syncopation of the melody and the rhythm.
    You tried to cover the mistake with that grrrr sound in the background which was not working because that background sound created a distraction for me because
    it did not bring anything new or surprising rhythmically for your beat. It was truly an annoyance. I wanted to know why that buzzing or grrr sound was there.
    Also, this beat doesnt give the listener a view point of who you are as a person. I would suggestion taking music 101 to learn how rhythm actually work or I can
    teach you the basics ( no diss). Also , the beat wasnt rock/rap it was more of a si fi feel. It was wack real talk. I would suggest listening to some african music
    and you can hear the how the beat lays down and when it is time to kick the rhythm.

Swiffness! hands ? down this is dope. I could hear this on the radio. It's a clean beat. It's on rhythm and you have this sick EAR on blending beats. I want to have it
    on my black berry. No need to divulge on way this beat is dope. It just is. Everything makes sense and it goes along with the theme. loves u..

well, dayum - an in-depth (and etherous) analysis; I'm almost afraid to ask you to check the others out LOL........thank you, ma'am
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options

song was hard to find, I did a Google video search and found it on a site with some weird video player, just recorded the sound into the mixer setup and, voilà.
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options

Most appreciated, Ms. Danger. Soon as I saw "you didnt drop the beat on the down beat " I knew ISH WAS REAL.
  • tommyj56304
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'll get a beat in by Sunday night. I've been working.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'll get a beat in by Sunday night. I've been working.

You also gotta submit a remix for Round 2.
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was gonna post mine tonight but then my ? POWER WENT OUT before I saved the new changes. Tried to pick up where I left off before I went to work and it happened AGAIN. Stayed on for like another 2 minutes, then went out for good.

? the world, stick my ? in the dirt.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Swiff, your joint is decent, to me, it has some added extras im sure people would like, the drums seem appropriate tho for the track, but this was prolly a bad round for me to judge, i hate sped up rock samples, but it does indeed fit the criteria, so u knocked that out.

Tommy, your track fit the criteria, granted those were guitar stabs or sample that u used, but as far as that rock-type energy, it lacked, the drums were so-so, really didnt move me, but im not sayn it wasnt a good track however. get somebody to rock it right, then u got somethn.

Round 1: Swiffness

I dont know if im missin somethn but i dont think Tommy submitted a second round beat. Swiff ur NY State of Mind beat, I really have to say it did too much, or u tried to hard, i know it can be hard to match themes with lyrics, I woulda just went with a gutter ass beat, as long as the ? was phat, but i digress, becuz as far conecpt and matching criteria, u did ur thing, so now we just gotta wait for Tommy. and both of yall for round three.

Good luck fellas
  • Tha Killa
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It looks like Tommy dropped out so Swiffness takes this battle by default. See you in the Semis man.