Oscar Nominations for 2017 announced

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Because further emasculation of the black man on screen and interracial relationships is a very pro black agenda right?

is there a definitive "pro black" agenda, i always assumes the idea was to be free to express yourself without inward or outward judgement ?

Last time i checked some consequential pro-black leaders came from interracial relationships, you could argue a good percentage of African Americans are descendant from interracial relationships, And is Loving vs. Virginia not an important story on Civil Rights in America just as much as a Hidden Figures ?

As for Moonlight it dont get more "problack" than a Black dude writing,directing, producing and casting black actors IMO, moreover telling stories that quite frankly do exist in black communities but are seldom told.

Why cant we celebrate story diversity in black cinema

Fair points.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Star Wars? No Captain America - Civil War? I only seen Hidden Figures due to seeing Black women as scientists and mathematicians.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    No Star Wars? No Captain America - Civil War? I only seen Hidden Figures due to seeing Black women as scientists and mathematicians.
    29-Camron-NP.gif
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gonna go see La La Land with my sister tonight, it's my birthday. Normally I wouldn't watch movies like this but I wanna see what the hype's about

14 Oscar noms?!?! Phew... and the director is just 31 years of age

The Black themed movies (Fences, Moonlight, Hidden Figures..) do not reach cinemas here in the UK till February
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    An of course The Birth Of A Nation got snubbed... for obvious reasons =)
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Gonna go see La La Land with my sister tonight, it's my birthday. Normally I wouldn't watch movies like this but I wanna see what the hype's about

The Black themed movies (Fences, Moonlight, Hidden Figures..) do not reach cinemas here in the UK till February
    how_to_download_specto_kodi_2016_addon_extension_main.png

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    An of course The Birth Of A Nation got snubbed... for obvious reasons =)

No disrespect but Birth of a Nation was mediocre
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I thought Nate gave a great performance and could have even got a directors nod.

Did anyobe see Captain Fantastic? I see Vigo got a best actor nod for that but never heard of it
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Did anyobe see Captain Fantastic? I see Vigo got a best actor nod for that but never heard of it

Great film.
  • fortyacres
    Options
    I thought Nate gave a great performance and could have even got a directors nod.

nah , it would have been suited for an HBO TV movie and maybe would have got emmy and golden globe nods. It tried too much to be like other historical/rebellion movies than stand on its own.
  • rip.dilla
    Options

I got that but I like the experience of watching movies sometimes on the big screen...
  • TheGOAT
    Options

I got that but I like the experience of watching movies sometimes on the big screen...
    Me too but with kids i cant catch em all at the theater.
    Drop your 2 cents about what u think about La La Land after u see it.
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So I've seen La La Land finally and...

It's a decent movie but not worth the hype (I think) it's generated for some reason

I like how it blended the old Hollywood with modernity... and it shows Los Angeles in a quite golden beautiful light

And the director seems to be a jazz fan with his first movie Whiplash and now this one...

Real good chemistry between the two leads who have acted together in two movies previously. ...

Long story short best part of this movie was the last 15-20 minutes...

4/5
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Watched Hacksaw Ridge last night.

Seemed like Andrew Garfield was doing his best Forrest Gump impression the whole film.

His performance in Silence >>> this

Vince Vaughn played his role real well. Some real good battle scenes but movie wasnt all that. It was basically Forrest Gump/Letters From Iwo Jima mashup film
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    @fortyacres did u see all the movies?
  • fortyacres
    Options

no

havent watched manchester by the sea and Lion, ive seen the rest even the documentaries.
  • TheGOAT
    Options

no

havent watched manchester by the sea and Lion, ive seen the rest even the documentaries.
    Ive seen almost all them by now too. But i cant do La La Land. Florence Foster Jenkins looks like some ? as well.

How is Jackie, Elle, & Loving? Those are the final 3 i have been putting off. Jackie & Loving looked boring. I never even heard of Elle before this thread.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has anyone seen any of those docs?
    (Besides oj)

I've seen 13th and I am not your ? . They are both pretty good and on netflix.
  • fortyacres
    Options

no

Ive seen almost all them by now too. But i cant do La La Land. Florence Foster Jenkins looks like some ? as well.

How is Jackie, Elle, & Loving? Those are the final 3 i have been putting off. Jackie & Loving looked boring. I never even heard of Elle before this thread.

sorry for the late reply

Lalaland was okay but overrated it hollywood being nostalgic and writing a love letter to itself. B -

Loving was great nuanced in it performance from both Neega and Joel Edgerton ( who should have been nominated for an oscar). A -

Jackie was aight its only worth seeing only if you care for the kennedys history. Natalie Portman did her thing. B -

aint seen Elle but the trailer is intriguing.

aint seen foster florene jenkins tho.
  • fortyacres
    Options
  • fortyacres
    Options
    after watching Manchester by the Sea i still think Denzel best win that best actor Oscar his performance was better imo.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    My Picks
    Best Picture:
    -Arrival

Best Director:
    Denis Villeneuve - Arrival

Best Actress:
    -didnt watch any of those movies

Best Actor:
    Denzel Washington - Fences

Best Supporting Actress:
    Naomie Harris - Moonlight

Best Supporting Actor:
    Mahershala Ali - Moonlight

Best Original Screenplay:
    Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester By the Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    Eric Heisserer - Arrival
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Im sure LaLa Land will be cleaning up sunday.

Would also be funny to see Mel Gibson win just to see the response and his speech