Mississippi Bill Would Strip Accreditation From Schools That Don’t Fly State’s Confederate Flag

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mississippi-state-flag-flying-in-front-of-capitol-building-in-Jackson-Shutterstock1-800x430.jpg

A proposed law in the Mississippi state legislature would strip accreditation from any school in the state that refuses to fly the state’s flag, which includes the Confederate stars-and-bars in its upper-left-hand corner.

The Mississippi Business Journal reports that the bill, which is working its way through the Mississippi House of Representatives, is a broad initiative to get state schools to comply with all rules and regulations, including one that mandates all K-12 schools fly the state flag.

Schools in majority black neighborhoods — including the Jackson school system, which is the second-largest in the state — have often flaunted this particular rule because they see the flag’s Confederate imagery as a symbol of racism, the Business Journal notes.

Bill sponsor Mark Formby (R – Picayune) explains that while the flag requirement is included in his bill, getting all schools to fly the flag isn’t the legislation’s primary objective. Rather, he said, it’s to address complaints he regularly gets from constituents about schools not upholding state laws, including regulations on hiring and purchasing.

“This says a person could call them on the carpet if you don’t enforce the laws,” he tells the Business Journal.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/new-mississippi-bill-would-strip-accreditation-from-schools-that-dont-fly-states-confederate-themed-flag/

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure this has nothing do with race.. It's all about state white pride...
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Its not even that the country is necessarily going in this direction as a whole, but US has pathetically low voter participation compared to other Nations. So when people "sit out" and let others choose the direction of things for them, it goes in whatever direction they want it too. If we have a vote and people dont show up, then the ones who do get to decide. This is a general statement on current events in the country.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its not even that the country is necessarily going in this direction as a whole, but US has pathetically low voter participation compared to other Nations. So when people "sit out" and let others choose the direction of things for them, it goes in whatever direction they want it too. If we have a vote and people dont show up, then the ones who do get to decide. This is a general statement on current events in the country.

True just like in Florida with the stand your ground laws. And just like in Ferguson when you have a racist police force yet folks not voting out the sheriff and ?

? MS. I won't ever spend a dime in that state
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    And ? still fly to Ole Miss to go to school.

This ain't a valid excuse, but Ole Miss pays top dollar to them ? to commit
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm from South Carolina and even I say there's no way in hell you'd catch me in Mississippi

Im born n raised in the south...and ive never been.
    Why would anyone go there?
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    I'm from South Carolina and even I say there's no way in hell you'd catch me in Mississippi

To gamble
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    And ? still fly to Ole Miss to go to school.

This ain't a valid excuse, but Ole Miss pays top dollar to them ? to commit
    Yeah, especially since ? have been playing on the teams there for years. They're just paying top dollar now because they're actually good.
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went to Moss Point for my Broad Family gathering, got hemmed up. Had 6 ? cop cars and 10 cops all in my ? . I love the people from the Sipp, but ? the state and it's ? population.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Every time I feel ? about MN weather, I need to remind myself that atleast I don't live in Mississippi.

That's the one hope I cling to living in Louisiana.

At least I don't live in Mississippi.
  • Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is it with the southern states. SMH whether it's Texas calling slaves completely happy day workers. Louisiana with their blue lives matter law and now making resisting arrest a hate crime against cops.

I was in Orlando last week and I was drinking bottled water all week. If it wasn't for the weather I wonder why most of you negros would live down there, this ? crazy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »
    Went to Moss Point for my Broad Family gathering, got hemmed up. Had 6 ? cop cars and 10 cops all in my ? . I love the people from the Sipp, but ? the state and it's ? population.

I grew up 10/15 miles from Moss Point. Reading how you got hemmed up there doesn't surprise me. White folk on the coast always talk about how MP is drug and crime infested, when in reality neighboring city Ocean Springs is where all the drugs are. That's the city where the cops should be stopping folks. They don't want to believe that tho because OS is where all the wealthy white folks live.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

To gamble

? that entire state. Cant wait till my mom move.

The ? was she thinking.

My mom and dad still live there. I can't wait until I can move them from there and back to NC.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »

? , you was the most excitement them cops had in weeks. I use to work right next door in Pascagoula, that ? boring as ? .

They got a ? shop with an awesome gun selection, though.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The schools should fly a RBG just as a matter of principle.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Who even thinks of some ? like this
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went to Indianola once....
    Trillfate wrote: »