Welp Looks Like Lyft is About To Take All of Uber's Customers

Options

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh rarely use either

This. But I'll be using lyft from now on.

TRUE
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't shop at Walmart or drink Pepsi, I am a minimalist
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmaooo @ thinking the creator of Lyft is some freedom fighter

Politics as usual
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Politics as usual

Chill. If you don't like a business' politics why can't you stop using them?
  • R.D.
    Options

Politics as usual

No doubt

But there's a whole lot more you going have to stop using. Dude from Uber just aired out a lot of people, you prepared to stop using all of their brands? Wal mart, Safeway, Exxon? Lyft trying to stand on their moral high horse right now, you think they actually give a ? . They playing the game. All the big business rep the same side

What does the fake care accomplish? It's reactive and does nothing. Who cares if Uber miracously went out of business behind this. Who benefits but their competitors. Don't change ? . ? just don't matter

This news had to come for it to even be revealed to a bigger audience he was a Trump supporter

"There you go giving a ? when it ain't your turn to"
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Politics as usual

No doubt

But there's a whole lot more you going have to stop using. Dude from Uber just aired out a lot of people, you prepared to stop using all of their brands? Wal mart, Safeway, Exxon? Lyft trying to stand on their moral high horse right now, you think they actually give a ? . They playing the game. All the big business rep the same side

What does the fake care accomplish? It's reactive and does nothing. Who cares if Uber miracously went out of business behind this. Who benefits but their competitors. Don't change ? . ? just don't matter

This news had to come for it to even be revealed to a bigger audience he was a Trump supporter

So because it's something you don't give a ? about you're trying to get other people to not give a ? either ??

I don't use Uber or LYFT,
    I'd rather drive so I can come and go as I please..

However, I can understand why people would want to boycott Uber, cause they attached themselves to something that had nothing to do with them..

They didn't have to send out a tweet in the middle of a protest, Uber is a billion dollar company they'll get their money regardless ..
  • R.D.
    Options
    illedout wrote: »

Politics as usual

No doubt

So because it's something you don't give a ? about you're trying to get other people to not give a ? either ??

I don't use Uber or LYFT,
    I'd rather drive so I can come and go as I please..

However, I can understand why people would want to boycott Uber, cause they attached themselves to something that had nothing to do with them..

They didn't have to send out a tweet in the middle of a protest, Uber is a billion dollar company they'll get their money regardless ..

You missed the point

It ain't about me, it's about us
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ? is dumb. From what I understand. A lot of the Uber passengers at the time were people trying to get to the protest. If the cabs weren't available, many of those people would have been assed out. That's why these new wave movements never go anywhere. How are you going to attack a company, when its actions are in part serving your cause. The people know how to make noise, but they aren't very intelligent about the things they say and do. They get props for the passion and the conviction, but at some point, someone has to step up and bring some sense to it all.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is dumb. From what I understand. A lot of the Uber passengers at the time were people trying to get to the protest. If the cabs weren't available, many of those people would have been assed out. That's why these new wave movements never go anywhere. How are you going to attack a company, when its actions are in part serving your cause. The people know how to make noise, but they aren't very intelligent about the things they say and do. They get props for the passion and the conviction, but at some point, someone has to step up and bring some sense to it all.

One of the main reasons I don't take much of it seriously.

Anger and passion........but with no direction or common sense.

Wouldn't be surprised if most of these types were people buying into all of the hype about Hillary not being any better than Trump and voting for Gary Johnson of Jill Stein just because they felt they were "going against the grain" or "woke."

wdli2oc10q7j.gif

Well, if there's no difference between Trump and Hillary.........it shouldn't be anything to complain about right?

Glad they seem to be coming to their senses, but it might be too little too late.

If all those people were as "woke" as they thought they were.........none of this would even be happening.

But yeah, Hillary would've been much worse right?

giphy.gif

yk4vru6yadr9.gif

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MTA Train for the win. ? y'all. That 45 min ride home at 1:30am sobers a muhfucker up.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

Politics as usual

No doubt

I can't speak for nobody else but there's several companies I've stopped using (for one, I've said plenty of times over the years here that I avoid walmart like the plague) because I don't like their business or things they represent. And I don't mind adding more to that list provided I have a better/more convenient alternative.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll over estimating consumer vigillance. Most people flock to whats convinient, not what's right. Uber gon do they numbers.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/31/lyft-scores-first-ever-app-store-win-over-uber/
    In Trump backlash, Lyft ends up on top

Ride-hailing startup Lyft tends to drive in the shadows of much-larger rival Uber, but this week Lyft got a taste of what it’s like to be on top — and some experts say that’s where Lyft may one day stay.

In a first in the history of the two companies’ contentious fight for market share, Lyft surpassed Uber in daily downloads from the Apple App Store this week. The boost for Lyft came as Uber was swept up in a backlash against President Donald Trump’s controversial Friday immigration order, prompting the #DeleteUber hashtag to take off on Twitter. The jump in downloads follows a year of explosive growth largely devoid of the massive publicity blunders that have plagued Uber.

“This adds much needed fuel to the momentum that Lyft has been building,” Mobile Action, a San Francisco-based app data intelligence company, wrote in a blog post.

Downloads of the Lyft app peaked on Monday, hitting 191,400, compared to Uber’s 85,400 according to Mobile Action. Negative reviews of the Uber app also spiked on Sunday.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lyft was still ahead. The Lyft app was ranked number eight among the most popular free iOS apps, while Uber trailed at number 17.

While it’s unlikely Lyft, worth $5.5 billion, could surpass $68 billion behemoth Uber anytime soon, experts say the smaller startup is looking more and more attractive in the long run.

“Lyft has been growing at an astronomical level within the U.S.,” said Evan Danckwerth, an analyst with PrivCo, which compiles data on private companies. “And they’re growing at a much faster rate than Uber is.”

This week’s App Store flip came as Uber faces criticism from some quarters for CEO Travis Kalanick’s ties to Trump — the executive sits on the president’s business advisory council, along with other tech executives including Tesla’s Elon Musk. Activists blockaded Uber’s San Francisco headquarters during Trump’s inauguration, protesting Kalanick’s ties to the administration.

For some Uber users, the ride-hailing company’s actions during a protest Saturday night were the final straw. While taxi drivers at New York’s JFK International Airport called a strike in protest of Trump’s Friday order temporarily barring refugees from entering the country, Uber deactivated its surge pricing in the area, allowing passengers traveling to and from the airport to get a ride at a lower cost. Uber — which has faced backlash in the past for using surge pricing during natural disasters and other crises — says it disabled surge pricing after the airport protest ended.

But some critics felt Uber was attempting to undermine the protest, and soon a #DeleteUber hashtag was trending on Twitter. While angry Uber drivers and customers often threaten to boycott the ride-hailing service to little effect — a promised strike during last year’s Super Bowl at Levi’s Stadium caused few headaches — it seems this time, Uber may be feeling the heat.

Bob Barrett, a 26-year-old software engineer from San Jose, was one of the users who deleted his Uber account this week. Barrett, who thinks Trump’s executive order on immigration was an overreach of his power, said he’s uncomfortable with tech executives becoming involved in the administration.

“I think their cooperation is a sort of tacit endorsement of what the administration does,” he said.

Uber didn’t say how many users have canceled their accounts since the weekend, or comment directly on the #DeleteUber hashtag. But on Sunday both Lyft and Uber released statements condemning Trump’s refugee ban. Lyft pledged $1 million to the ACLU, and Uber set aside $3 million to help U.S. Uber drivers who left the country and are unable to return under the ban.

Last week Lyft announced it’s planning to increase its coverage area by 50 percent this year, and the company also reportedly is planning to expand internationally. The company’s losses are shrinking and it plans to be profitable by 2018.

That means Lyft could make a profit before Uber, and some experts say it’s likely the smaller company will go public first.

Uber has some self-driving vehicle policy headaches to work out before it can go public, said Danckwerth, especially after its failed attempt to launch its autonomous cars in San Francisco. And whichever startup makes it to the public market first will have the advantage of being the first ride-hailing company open to investors.

“I don’t think you’re going to see Lyft take over Uber in the next three to five years,” Danckwert said. “But maybe the next decade.”
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol This country is so funny. You can't make this ? up. These fools out here making Trump's crony richer in their protest against a company for not protesting against Trump.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's why I don't participate in boycott culture.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we've been duped
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First page is hilarious after the latest news about Lyft
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    First page is hilarious after the latest news about Lyft

Hahaha
  • stringer bell
    edited February 2017
    Options

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/uber-ceo-resigns-trump-council
    Uber CEO Steps Down From Trump Economic Advisory Council

The CEO of Uber has announced to his employees that he will step down from President Donald Trump’s economic advisory council, according to an email obtained by TPM Thursday.

The New York Times first reported Thursday afternoon that Travis Kalanick sent an email to Uber employees announcing his resignation from the council.

“Earlier today I spoke briefly with the president about the immigration executive order and its issues for our community,” Kalanick wrote. “I also let him know that I would not be able to participate on his economic council. Joining the group was not meant to be an endorsement of the president or his agenda but unfortunately it has been misinterpreted to be exactly that.”

Uber came under fire after it lifted surge pricing for customers at JFK Airport on Saturday, while the New York Taxi Workers Alliance was on strike from the airport in protest of Trump’s immigration executive order. An angry trend–#DeleteUber–took off in response.

Read Uber CEO Travis Kalanick's full email to employees below:

Dear Team,

Earlier today I spoke briefly with the President about the immigration executive order and its issues for our community. I also let him know that I would not be able to participate on his economic council. Joining the group was not meant to be an endorsement of the President or his agenda but unfortunately it has been misinterpreted to be exactly that.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this and mapping it to our values. There are a couple that are particularly relevant:
    Inside Out - The implicit assumption that Uber (or I) was somehow endorsing the Administration’s agenda has created a perception-reality gap between who people think we are, and who we actually are.

Just Change - We must believe that the actions we take ultimately move the ball forward. There are many ways we will continue to advocate for just change on immigration but staying on the council was going to get in the way of that. The executive order is hurting many people in communities all across America. Families are being separated, people are stranded overseas and there’s a growing fear the U.S. is no longer a place that welcomes immigrants.

Immigration and openness to refugees is an important part of our country’s success and quite honestly to Uber’s. I am incredibly proud to work directly with people like Thuan and Emil, both of whom were refugees who came here to build a better life for themselves. I know it has been a tough week for many of you and your families, as well as many thousands of drivers whose stories are heartfelt and heart-wrenching.

Please know, your questions and stories on Tuesday, along with what I heard from drivers, have kept me resilient and reminded me of one of our most essential cultural values, Be Yourself. We will fight for the rights of immigrants in our communities so that each of us can be who we are with optimism and hope for the future.

Smh @ him getting in his cornerback backpedal technique after he snitched on those other CEOs…

fd6.gif
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.businessinsider.com/over-200000-people-deleted-uber-after-deleteuber-2017-2
    Over 200,000 people deleted Uber after the company operated its service at JFK airport during the Trump strike

More than 200,000 people deleted their Uber accounts after a weekend of outrage aimed at the ride-hailing company, according to The New York Times.

Furious Uber riders had deleted the app after the company continued operating its service at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Saturday, creating the perception that it was undermining a taxi strike in protest of President Trump's immigration ban.

To make matters worse, Uber even announced that it was switching off surge pricing halfway through the strike, making it seem it sought to capitalize on the situation.

The company was seen as both profiting off the taxi strike and supporting the executive order since its CEO, Travis Kalanick, served on an economic council for the president.

The outrage was swift. Despite also seeing a spike in downloads for its app, the hundreds of thousands of deletions of the Uber app was unprecedented for the company. Uber quickly had to implement a new automatic system to handle the onslaught of requests.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-white-house-to-uber-f-you-2017-2
    Uber's CEO and Trump apparently had a disastrous phone call

You're either with the Trump administration or you're against it.

After Uber CEO Travis Kalanick's call with President Donald Trump on Thursday and decision to quit his business-advisory council, the sentiment within the White House, according to Mike Allen of Axios, is, "If you want to cut off your access to the White House, f--- you."

That quote came to Allen from "some in Trump's inner circle," he reported. (Allen is deeply sourced within the Trump administration.)

Kalanick told Uber staff in a memo Thursday that he wouldn't attend Trump's closed-door council meeting on Friday and had quit the council after pressure from employees, drivers, and the public.

"Joining the group was not meant to be an endorsement of the president or his agenda but unfortunately it has been misinterpreted to be exactly that," Kalanick wrote in the memo, which was obtained by Business Insider.

To be clear, Kalanick likely wasn't literally told "f--- you" during his call with Trump. But that's apparently how the White House feels about Kalanick's decision to distance himself and Uber from the administration after Trump signed an executive order last Friday temporarily barring citizens from seven predominately Muslim countries from entering the US.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/uber-buying-plane-fare-drivers-stranded-trump-ban-45267663
    Uber Buying Plane Fare for Drivers Stranded by Trump Ban

Uber CEO Travis Kalanick says his company is buying plane tickets for stranded drivers now that a federal judge has put a hold on President Donald Trump's ban on travel to the United States by people from seven Muslim-majority countries.

Kalanick tweeted Friday night that the head of litigation for the San Francisco-based ride-hailing company is "buying a whole bunch of airline tickets ASAP!"

He added, "#homecoming #fingerscrossed."

U.S. District Judge James Robart in Seattle put a nationwide hold Friday night on Trump's executive order. And the State Department said Saturday it has reinstated the visas of the thousands of travelers who were affected by the ban.

Meanwhile, Trump tweeted Saturday that the judge's ruling "is ridiculous and will be overturned!"

Kalanick quit Trump's council of business advisers on Thursday.