Is Hip Hop The Only Genre Where The Artists Get Shot At, Go To Jail and Get Killed?

Options

Comments

• Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Country singer Tracy Lawrence was also shot in the early 90's...didn't die though.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shooting people and going to prison is cool though. If it wasn't we wouldn't watch gangster flicks or buy listen to gangster rap
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Country music has the highest rate of suicide.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Shooting people and going to prison is cool though. If it wasn't we wouldn't watch gangster flicks or buy listen to gangster rap

I wouldn't say its "cool". It might be entertaining to watch somebody else live the "thug life" but when you're the one serving that 25-life sentence its not so cool, or entertaining.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Remember when slick Rick made that positive song about going g to school and stop hanging around bad people...

Then he went to prison for murder

Well, it wasn't murder but he shot at somebody and lead the police on a car chase. Then when they finally arrested him he had guns in the trunk of his car.

He served 8-10 years and had to fight the immigration/deportation issue because he committed a violent felony and wasn't an American citizen
  • Rampage12
    edited February 2017
    Options

Completely false. I can't think of one notable country artist that has killed themselves besides Mindy McCready who was the same girl that got turned out by Roger Clemens when she was like 13.

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone who comes from a harsh environment experiences unnecessary levels of violence. This has nothing to do with a genre of music.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never knew ODB was shot.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    most of those guys would have probably got shot, stabbed or went to jail if there was no rap.

don't blame the music for the environment the musicians are describing. that's ungodly.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    most of those guys would have probably got shot, stabbed or went to jail if there was no rap.

don't blame the music for the environment the musicians are describing. that's ungodly.

How about that guy Gravy? Remember he shot himself in the leg right before he went up to Hot 97 to do an interview. He thought it would give him "street creed" to walk into the interview after getting shot. How ridiculous is that?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Completely false. I can't think of one notable country artist that has killed themselves besides Mindy McCready who was the same girl that got turned out by Roger Clemens when she was like 13.

You about to get schooled fam.

Abstract
    This article assesses the link between country music and metropolitan suicide rates. Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work. The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate. The effect is independent of divorce, southernness, poverty, and gun availability. The existence of a country music subculture is thought to reinforce the link between country music and suicide. Our model explains 51% of the variance in urban white suicide rates.

https://academic.oup.com/sf/article-abstract/71/1/211/2232710/The-Effect-of-Country-Music-on-Suicide

You're statistically way more likely to commit suicide listening to country than any other genre. By a huge margin, too.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Remember when slick Rick made that positive song about going g to school and stop hanging around bad people...

Then he went to prison for murder

Well, it wasn't murder but he shot at somebody and lead the police on a car chase. Then when they finally arrested him he had guns in the trunk of his car.

He served 8-10 years and had to fight the immigration/deportation issue because he committed a violent felony and wasn't an American citizen

So he wasn't lyin about that spankin shotgun.
  • Rampage12
    Options

Abstract
    This article assesses the link between country music and metropolitan suicide rates. Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work. The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate. The effect is independent of divorce, southernness, poverty, and gun availability. The existence of a country music subculture is thought to reinforce the link between country music and suicide. Our model explains 51% of the variance in urban white suicide rates.

https://academic.oup.com/sf/article-abstract/71/1/211/2232710/The-Effect-of-Country-Music-on-Suicide

You're statistically way more likely to commit suicide listening to country than any other genre. By a huge margin, too.

My point still stands no real notable country stars have offed themselves and you dig up an old article from the early '90's about people that listen to country music.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Abstract

My point still stands no real notable country stars have offed themselves and you dig up an old article from the early '90's about people that listen to country music.

There's a ton of research on the topic. Listening to country increases your likelihood of committing suicide. I never said musicians, I said music so your refutation is moot
  • Rampage12
    edited March 2017
    Options

Abstract

There's a ton of research on the topic. Listening to country increases your likelihood of committing suicide. I never said musicians, I said music so your refutation is moot

But you still "made" a point that no one was stating or arguing, and you still posted an article that's 25 years old to prove your so called point. Also living in Seattle increases your chance of suicide so what's the point...see how annoying and useless that is when I bring up a point that literally had nothing to do with what you said.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Abstract

But you still "made" a point that no one was stating or arguing, and you still posted an article that's 25 years old to prove your so called point. Also living in Seattle increases your chance of suicide so what's the point...see how annoying and useless that is when I bring up a point that literally had nothing to do with what you said.

The age of the article doesn't make it false. The researchers won a Nobel Prize for the finding. Is Einstein's theory of relativity wrong now too because of age? Oh ? son, Darwin's natural selection is more than 50 years old, I guess that's wrong now too.

Come back when you're more logical fam.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap is destructive. I can admit that.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Rap is destructive. I can admit that.

And the ironic thing is that when Hip Hop started it was a way to stop the gang violence that was going on in The Bronx. Nowadays to be a top notch rapper you have to get arrested, go to jail or get shot.

It seems like the rappers that have run ins with the law get more publicity than the rappers who are law abiding citizens.
  • Rampage12
    edited March 2017
    Options

Abstract

The age of the article doesn't make it false. The researchers won a Nobel Prize for the finding. Is Einstein's theory of relativity wrong now too because of age? Oh ? son, Darwin's natural selection is more than 50 years old, I guess that's wrong now too.

Come back when you actually have an argument for what I actually said. My initial statement had nothing to do with people that listen to country music but the actual artists like you know what the threads actually about. But I'm sure you'll respond by continuing to hammer home your point that literally no one else was arguing or even brought up.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No. Corridos musicians often suffer similar fates.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Styles P said the listener will get kidnapped, ? , and thrown off a roof.....

His music probably qualifies as abuse....but I keep listening to it....lol
  • LUClEN
    Options

Abstract

Come back when you actually have an argument for what I actually said. My initial statement had nothing to do with people that listen to country music but the actual artists like you know what the threads actually about. But I'm sure you'll respond by continuing to hammer home your point that literally no one else was arguing or even brought up.

You did not have an argument. You said I was wrong and I proved otherwise
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    SneakDZA wrote: »

How about that guy Gravy? Remember he shot himself in the leg right before he went up to Hot 97 to do an interview. He thought it would give him "street creed" to walk into the interview after getting shot. How ridiculous is that?

Lmaooo isn't that the dude who they had play big in Notorious?