Fargo Season 3

Options
lazypakman
lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Lights, Camera, Action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm-5HwIR7hM
And here's the official synopsis for season three, which showrunner Noah Hawley has juggled this year along with the Dan Stevens-starring X-Men show Legion. It'll be set in the year 2010:

"Emmit Stussy (McGregor), the Parking Lot King of Minnesota, sees himself as an American success story, whereas his slightly younger brother Ray (also McGregor) is more of a cautionary tale. Forever living in his brother’s shadow, Ray is a balding and ? -bellied parole officer with a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he’s been dealt – and he blames his brother. Their sibling rivalry follows a twisted path that begins with petty theft but soon leads to murder, mobsters and cutthroat competitive bridge.

"? plays Gloria Burgle, the steady chief of the local police department. A newly divorced mother, she is trying to understand the new world around her, where people connect more intimately with their phones than with the folks around them. Winstead stars as Ray’s girlfriend Nikki Swango, a crafty and alluring recent parolee with a passion for competitive bridge. Thewlis plays V.M. Vargas, a mysterious loner and true capitalist whose bosses plan to partner with Emmit — whether the Parking Lot King likes it or not."

Fargo season 3's cast is shaping up to be another great one. Ewan McGregor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Carrie ? , comedian Jim Gaffigan and David Thewlis have major roles this time around, with McGregor of course playing twins(!).

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT TV show. Hope they keep up the good work.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    GOAT TV show. Hope they keep up the good work.

• Will Munny
    Options
    This season is gonna be in Eden Valley and St Cloud, MN, that's a trip lol. Both towns in super familiar with. This is hilarious. I bet basically none of it was filmed out there but it will be cool to see if I recognize any of the random shots.

I know for fact last season was filmed in Canada and not Luvurne, MN.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So glad this show is back on. solid opener imo. one of the show's highlights is the cinematography. and in this episode it didn't disappoint. so many memorable shots and camera angles. like with the red color filter experimentation. and the piece of paper ray gave the ex-con that had the address on it. when you look at the picture above it, its subtle quirks and oddities like that, that lets you know your in fargo universe

in this season, there's no storyline or character that connects it to the previous seasons at all so far. so at times this may give the episode an aloof type of feeling. but I think there's still some interesting things going on

I thought ewan McGregor got the feuding brothers roles right for the most part. if I had to choose which character I enjoyed more, it would be ray. he has a more interesting storyline. him blackmailing one of the parolees also set one of the major events in motion

I wonder how the opening scene in east berlin, Germany ties into all of this. maybe Hawley's intention of including it was to hammer home the overarching narrative of mistaken identity. like how the man told the officer they have the wrong name and he isn't the person.

I also wonder what the contents in the hidden box underneath the floor of the murdered stepfather's house was about. they appeared to be sci-fi novels. will there be another sci-fi related theme like season 2?

Despite my admiration for the 1st episode, I will say that I did get a bit of a "been there done that" feeling as the tone and conflicts are very similar to the previous 2 seasons. that's not to say that the novelty is wearing off. as there's currently no other show on tv like this one. but maybe I'm looking for a left-field surprise type of plotline or something to throw me off-balance. still, ill be faithfully tuning in every Wednesday
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? totally forgot good look i thought i had the series recorded
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I'm gonna have to watchthe 1st episode on-demand I forgot about this show..

First 2"season's were Great
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just starting the series. So far so good. Gotta catch up
  • marc123
    Options
    Ep 1 was goat. Classic Fargo....alil wierd, alil awkward, alil funny, alil confusing.

Different seemingly random af stories coming together.

Jus like season 1 n 2 this season gone be goat. Cant wait!
  • Ounceman
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lol @ Emmit attempting to hide behind a glass wall

lol @ Gloria saying she has an aversion to technology and the automatic doors not opening for her earlier

I love the deadpan, off-kilter humor in this show

Ray certainly has a ride or die. I can see why he wants to put a ring on it

Was Thaddeus Mobley Ennis's real name at one time? or was it an alias he went by as a writer?

I liked how this episode fleshed out the secondary characters more. next week looks pretty enthralling
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Massive fan of the movie but never saw the show despite my cuz telling me to watch it for like 2 years now. It's the only TV show he watches and he felt Billy Bob in season 1 and season 2 in general were both legendary.

I do like anthology shows and appreciate that it keeps that Coen Bros. tone whike expanding the movie's mythology so I'm jumping aboard this season. McGregor one of my favorite actors and Mary Winstead one of my favorite white girls.
  • VanguardBLK
    VanguardBLK Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Options
    Episode 1 was highly entertaining, great cast, great camera angles and lots of questions!
  • kingofbama205
    Options
    This is shaping up to be Great just like the last 2 season's
  • marc123
    Options
    This is shaping up to be Great just like the last 2 season's

• marc123
    Options
    lol homie ? up dudes corvette jus cuz
  • Broddie
    Options
    There has to be more to Yuri than we are led to think. He the same dude mentioned in the beginning of episode 1.
  • marc123
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LMAO...Mac from Its Always Sunny.

Episode felt like i was reading a novel
  • Broddie
    Options
    Lmao he acted exactly like Mac still. "Am I gonna get laid or not?"

This episode was so dope to me. Felt like Twin Peaks meets Barton Fink. Very Coen Brothers like.
  • Ounceman
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

This episode was so dope to me. Felt like Twin Peaks meets Barton Fink. Very Coen Brothers like.

I got a sense of Barton Fink from this episode as well (my 2nd favorite Coen brothers movie by the way). the entire "writer goes to l.a. and tries his hand at screenwriting before things go south" scenario drew a strong parallel to that.

While i'll concede to the notion that this episode will have strong dividing opinions of people who will either absolutely love it or hate it, me personally you can count me among the group of people who love it. and honestly, it just might be my favorite episode of the season yet. I stated during the critique of the first episode that I wanted Hawley to throw me, the viewer, a curveball in the storyline. something I wouldn't see coming. as the typical neo-noir crime drama like atmosphere of prior episodes, while good, was getting a bit formulaic and monotonous. well this time he did just that. and the divergence was executed imaginatively

The insane thing about this however, is if one would've just read the synopsis of this episode on paper, it would come off as sounding absurd, nonsensical and a waste of time. to the point of you questioning whether the writers are trolling with you or not. because essentially the entire hour was dedicating to Gloria traveling to L.A. in an attempt to find leads in Eninis's death and what his life was like as Thaddeus Mobley. yet not only does she not find any substantial evidence, the biggest lead and the major advancement of the plot occurred when she was away. and it was uncovered by someone else. a sequence of futility indeed. Yet its this pointlessness that actually starts to become the point. Gloria is noticing a disconnect from the vapid, urban, wasteland that's L.A. around her. similar to the robot in the cartoon (another dope excerpt in the story). and its just like when the man Zimmerman who conned her stepfather told her in the hospital as it relates to quantum physics. something along the lines of "we're all just particles. nobody knows where we are. and then, bang, we collide. and suddenly we're real. and then we float off as if we don't exist."

So then it begs to ask the question: If the end result is largely inconsequential, does it make the journey in getting there equally worthless as well? for Gloria I don't think so. because even though the brief moment of collision didn't ultimately amount to anything, the experience along the way helped her realize her purpose and direction. that's just my take. i had to watch it a 2nd time to see everything fall in place so brilliantly
  • marc123
    Options
    That episode kinda felt like the RDJ movie kiss kiss bang bang
  • Broddie
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »

I got a sense of Barton Fink from this episode as well (my 2nd favorite Coen brothers movie by the way). the entire "writer goes to l.a. and tries his hand at screenwriting before things go south" scenario drew a strong parallel to that.

While i'll concede to the notion that this episode will have strong dividing opinions of people who will either absolutely love it or hate it, me personally you can count me among the group of people who love it. and honestly, it just might be my favorite episode of the season yet. I stated during the critique of the first episode that I wanted Hawley to throw me, the viewer, a curveball in the storyline. something I wouldn't see coming. as the typical neo-noir crime drama like atmosphere of prior episodes, while good, was getting a bit formulaic and monotonous. well this time he did just that. and the divergence was executed imaginatively

The insane thing about this however, is if one would've just read the synopsis of this episode on paper, it would come off as sounding absurd, nonsensical and a waste of time. to the point of you questioning whether the writers are trolling with you or not. because essentially the entire hour was dedicating to Gloria traveling to L.A. in an attempt to find leads in Eninis's death and what his life was like as Thaddeus Mobley. yet not only does she not find any substantial evidence, the biggest lead and the major advancement of the plot occurred when she was away. and it was uncovered by someone else. a sequence of futility indeed. Yet its this pointlessness that actually starts to become the point. Gloria is noticing a disconnect from the vapid, urban, wasteland that's L.A. around her. similar to the robot in the cartoon (another dope excerpt in the story). and its just like when the man Zimmerman who conned her stepfather told her in the hospital as it relates to quantum physics. something along the lines of "we're all just particles. nobody knows where we are. and then, bang, we collide. and suddenly we're real. and then we float off as if we don't exist."

So then it begs to ask the question: If the end result is largely inconsequential, does it make the journey in getting there equally worthless as well? for Gloria I don't think so. because even though the brief moment of collision didn't ultimately amount to anything, the experience along the way helped her realize her purpose and direction. that's just my take. i had to watch it a 2nd time to see everything fall in place so brilliantly

It also got her a lot closer to Ennis than she was before and gave her a better understanding of what he faced as a small fish in a large pond.

Like the robot in the story who's journey served a purpose (documenting history for the benefit of future civilizations' understanding of existence) so does Gloria's. It gave her new perspective on a man who though she had a connection with still felt like a distant stranger to her in many ways. By the time she's on that plane ride back there is a great sense of closure.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Says to me that the road traveled and the "scenery" you come across on that path provides a richness that might not explain or lead you to the conclusion that you were looking for but the journey has worth in itself
  • kingofbama205
    Options
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I liked it. Carrie ? is a bonafied attractive older woman.
  • Ounceman
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Had a feeling the writers would have this episode revert back to the neo noir, crime-procedural format this series commonly uses. esp. considering the digression of the previous one. thats not to say thats a bad thing. as its one of the reasons why this show is so auspiciously admired among critics and viewers alike. but it just validates what i originally thought: the 3rd episode would pretty much be the outlier of the entire season. Nevertheless, solid enrty

But i like how Hawley and co. find inventive and clever ways to deliver the storytelling. it was dope hearing Billy Bob Thorton again. I guess its like a continuing theme to use recurring actors to voice the narration of an episode. similar to when Martin Freeman did a voice-over in season 2

I like how Gloria goes against the wishes of her new boss and is steadfast in solving her stepfather's murder. its like Broddie and I said, her L.A. trip made her realize her purpose and it got her closer to Ennis in the process. now she wont stop until she gets justice. she also got info from an unlikely source, a new character named Winnie, that will help piece together clues.

Speaking of the new character, was i the only one that got flashbacks to the movie when she questioned Sy about the humve? Its just like the scene when Marge was interrogating Jerry in the dealership as he was having difficulty coming up with an alibi. he was struggling to form a coherent sentence and stumbling over his words. lol scene was hilarious

How can Varga manipulate Emmit's assets so easily? all he did was borrow money. but its like he's tapped into most of his resources, and now he can just show up and start changing his company around when he's not there. and if he's this powerful billionaire that's traveled the world extensively, whats his interest in the stussy business? what does he plan to do with it? what can it give him that he doesnt have already? does he report to anyone higher up?

• playmaker88
    edited May 2017
    Options
    He can do it so easily because he is tapped into intel.. Emmitt has no clue he just lucked up into his money/ status doesnt have the polish and intellect to manage his ? he just took advantage of a country bumpkin. Its hilarious how the more modern world just teases Gloria and just makes her feel like a foreigner.. But she is trying her damnest to navigate that world. She may be naive to some ? but her old school affords her a clarity and laser like focus on her quest