• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    TOS writing, acting and story>>>>>

You guys want to start a civil war in here lol

No bro, just no.

TOS has some of the most iconic episodes and City on the Edge of Forever is to this day amazing TV but both TNG and DS9 greatly overlapped it.

TOS cast movies are the best things related to that era. Some of those still spank a lot of sci-fi cinema released today.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first Star Trek was like a parody. It was goofy and a joke. My mother and her friends used to watch that show not taking it serious until TNG. TNG made Star Trek as big as it has become.That Toy Line came because of how popular TNG was.That's when people started to recognize its impact on pop culture. TOS is Terminator to TNG being T2.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first Star Trek was like a parody. It was goofy and a joke. My mother and her friends used to watch that show not taking it serious until TNG. TNG made Star Trek as big as it has become.That Toy Line came because of how popular TNG was.That's when people started to recognize its impact on pop culture. TOS is Terminator to TNG being T2.

A lot of ? in TOS went over a lot of people's heads, so I'm not surprised.

Lol @ goofy and a joke. Smdh.
  • Broddie
    Options

Bad comparison.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

A lot of ? in TOS went over a lot of people's heads, so I'm not surprised.

Lol @ goofy and a joke. Smdh.

I'm talking about the presentation and acting. The show was campy.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Bad comparison.

True but you get the point.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The OG was ahead of its time
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Ideas and concept. Of course, but not execution. There is a reason it does not hold up well today like Star Wars. I watched it growing up because I was always into Sci Fi.
  • northside7
    Options

Ideas and concept. Of course, but not execution. There is a reason it does not hold up well today like Star Wars. I watched it growing up because I was always into Sci Fi.

Star wars never had a tv series.

Lol @ not holding up well today. It's either TOS OR TNG, and then the rest.
  • Broddie
    Options
    TOS/TNG/DS9 the holy trinity of brilliant sci-fi TV. Neither Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica (both versions) or anything else really came close. That's why Trek is the GOAT. With that said Discovery still looks ? .
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ-ATwRq5KY

Star Trek as a concept was/is dope but gtfoh

Best thing about it, was how it subtlety touched on racial issues of the time. But as a show that ? was trash, even for back then. The movies that came after really made Star Trek
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like some of ya'll are judging the TOS by modern standards. Yeah, some of the ? would be cheesy nowadays, but back then it wasn't that bad.
  • northside7
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

Best thing about it, was how it subtlety touched on racial issues of the time. But as a show that ? was trash, even for back then. The movies that came after really made Star Trek

There's no way you could watch every episode and come to this conclusion. That was the best sci fi show on tv in the 60s.
  • northside7
    Options
    Seems like some of ya'll are judging the TOS by modern standards. Yeah, some of the ? would be cheesy nowadays, but back then it wasn't that bad.

C/S. Yes there were a few cheesy moments in a few of the episodes, I'm not denying that. But the TNG and DS9 had the benefit of late 80s and 90s computer technology. TOS was carried by it's acting, stories and writing. Like I said, a lot of ot went over peoples heads. Way ahead of its time.
    But was Star Wars actually more influenced by the Star Trek TV series, which was undergoing a hugely popular revival in syndication in the early 1970s?
    Yes. [George] did talk about that [show] quite a bit. I mean Star Trek, the early series, was pretty much all human drama. There was a touch of humor in it, but most of it was down to relationship stories. There wasn’t much in the way of intergalactic battles. They didn’t have any money.

But it was set in this kind of futuristic kind of environment that was inspiring. It freed up the mind to think about what would it be like to travel to distant galaxies and encounter other species. I think that that definitely was one of the influences — because that’s what Flash Gordon was like too.

Lucas Talks Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry:
    In Rod Roddenberry’s documentary Trek Nation, George Lucas himself has talked about Star Wars "stood on the shoulders" of Star Trek.

• VulcanRaven
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

This that ? I'm talking about bruh lolololololol. ? was cheesy even for the 60s. Stop making excuses for this corny ? mane. Star Wars is old and wad not cheesy.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

C/S. Yes there were a few cheesy moments in a few of the episodes, I'm not denying that. But the TNG and DS9 had the benefit of late 80s and 90s computer technology. TOS was carried by it's acting, stories and writing. Like I said, a lot of ot went over peoples heads. Way ahead of its time.
    But was Star Wars actually more influenced by the Star Trek TV series, which was undergoing a hugely popular revival in syndication in the early 1970s?
    Yes. [George] did talk about that [show] quite a bit. I mean Star Trek, the early series, was pretty much all human drama. There was a touch of humor in it, but most of it was down to relationship stories. There wasn’t much in the way of intergalactic battles. They didn’t have any money.

But it was set in this kind of futuristic kind of environment that was inspiring. It freed up the mind to think about what would it be like to travel to distant galaxies and encounter other species. I think that that definitely was one of the influences — because that’s what Flash Gordon was like too.

In Rod Roddenberry’s documentary Trek Nation, George Lucas himself has talked about Star Wars "stood on the shoulders" of Star Trek.

Why did you post this? LOL. Star Wars is better than TOS which is my point and they are both old.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

This that ? I'm talking about bruh lolololololol. ? was cheesy even for the 60s. Stop making excuses for this corny ? mane. Star Wars is old and wad not cheesy.

Star Wars came out in the 80s and was a movie man. There's a big difference between passing a narrative for a movie and a weekly series.

Ya'll on some revisionist history though. I'm a Star Trek fan, but all the series had some cheesy episodes, TNG and DS9 included.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

Star Wars came out in the 80s and was a movie man. There's a big difference between passing a narrative for a movie and a weekly series.

Ya'll on some revisionist history though. I'm a Star Trek fan, but all the series had some cheesy episodes, TNG and DS9 included.

Episode 4 came out in 77. The Twilight zone still holds up today unlike TOS. I'm comparing the acting and presentation. No cheese lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

Episode 4 came out in 77. The Twilight zone still holds up today unlike TOS. I'm comparing the acting and presentation. No cheese lol.

That's a tough comparison. Twilight Zone was more cerebral, and as crazy as some of the stories were, it was also more down to earth.
  • northside7
    Options

Why did you post this? LOL. Star Wars is better than TOS which is my point and they are both old.

You're comparing a movie to a tv show. That ? makes zero sense.
  • northside7
    Options

7dacshmyk69v.png

C/S.
  • northside7
    Options
    Well tonight is the night.

8:30 on CBS.
  • Broddie
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It stunk. By comparison The Orville feels much more like Star Trek.
  • northside7
    Options
    These first couple of episodes were below average. This ? needs to pick up the pace.