This entire concept of 'toxic masculinity'....y'all know we gotta address it.

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
For a few months now, people came out and said that society has a 'toxic masculinity' problem, where it's defined as:

"The pervasive idea of male-female interactions as competition, not cooperation.

The pervasive idea that men cannot truly understand women, and vice versa--and following, that no true companionship can be had between different sexes.

The expectation that Real Men are strong, and that showing emotion is incompatible with being strong. Anger is either framed as the exception to the rule, or as not an emotion.

Relatedly, the idea that a Real Man cannot be a victim of abuse, or that talking about it is shameful."

I found this pic that illustrates the concept of toxic masculinity:
male-protagonist-bingo.jpg

Look. Obviously, too much masculinity can be a bad thing (i.e. hazing in frats, the Marines), but when does this assault on manhood stop? Does this sounds like another modern-day Femtep scheme to devoid men of being men, or is this something that really merits further observation?

Is it going to come to a point where if we're not all in Romphims, we're all going to be looked at as sexist, misogynistic pigs?

Thoughts?

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Moderation is always good.

Environment, technology and society is ever changing so concepts of manhood and womanhood change as well and people adapt.

i think it's not as serious or as deep as people online make it out to be "saying things like there is an assault on manhood".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Moderation is always good.

Environment, technology and society is ever changing so concepts of manhood and womanhood change as well and people adapt.

i think it's not as serious or as deep as people online make it out to be "saying things like there is an assault on manhood".

I do think it's serious though. The assault is on for both male and female to be out of balance. Creating divisions which causes distractions and confusion. When you have people in a confused and confounded state it's easy to slip all types of important\detrimental things pass them. Many an industry has been created and ass loads of money made off of this model.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    men need to stand up more and women need to be more supportive.

cant have two heads and no body. everyone has a place

money, fukk boys, hoes and the war on the black family seems to be the root.

not sure nor do i care about other cultures.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    We're in a time where women are more educated and entering a lot more male dominated spaces so there's a lot of frustrations that are now being heard and echoed from large groups of women. Not all of it is worth examining, but some of it is and it comes from the job the ppl that raised us did. Our grandparents and parents didn't get it all the way right, or even halfway right in some cases, and I'm not really interested in tryna recreate a dynamic that didn't particularly work in MY family (my dad possesses a lot of qualities on that bingo chart and so did his dad).

As for the concept of "toxic masculinity" tho, I don't really understand it...are they saying men ruined the male-female dynamic with their overt masculinity?
  • fortyacres
    Options

no , women dont owe you anything.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are toxic males jus as their are toxic females...

then the rest of us in the middle..
    the vast majority of us..

i jus wanna know why is it only the males bein attacked??
    give ground to them type ? !!?

fight on brothers!
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We're in a time where women are more educated and entering a lot more male dominated spaces so there's a lot of frustrations that are now being heard and echoed from large groups of women. Not all of it is worth examining, but some of it is and it comes from the job the ppl that raised us did. Our grandparents and parents didn't get it all the way right, or even halfway right in some cases, and I'm not really interested in tryna recreate a dynamic that didn't particularly work in MY family (my dad possesses a lot of qualities on that bingo chart and so did his dad).

As for the concept of "toxic masculinity" tho, I don't really understand it...are they saying men ruined the male-female dynamic with their overt masculinity?

Well with all due respect our fathers and grandfathers come for a period of time where the demeanor of men had to be different. Many of today's over emotional ass men would have either been turned\punked or gotten everyone killed. We don't get to where we are without our ancestors both men and women being both rough and rugged. For as hardened (no ? ) lmao as the men were so were the women. So, I think ultimately they balanced each other.

I think we are in a place today where we can be more selective in asserting ourselves. Also, being a Black Man I don't like being lumped in with all MEN, particularly in the context of the workplace. I say with surety, most Black men welcome women in the workplace. I think any vitriol or finger pointing should be pointed in the direction of White men and women for that matter. They stay hating on any people of color getting gwap.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at the Marines.
  • Mister B.
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Lol at the Marines.

Yeah. Have you read that story?

Marine Corps Toxic Masculinity 'Problem'
  • fortyacres
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Well with all due respect our fathers and grandfathers come for a period of time where the demeanor of men had to be different. Many of today's over emotional ass men would have either been turned\punked or gotten everyone killed. We don't get to where we are without our ancestors both men and women being both rough and rugged. For as hardened (no ? ) lmao as the men were so were the women. So, I think ultimately they balanced each other.

I think we are in a place today where we can be more selective in asserting ourselves. Also, being a Black Man I don't like being lumped in with all MEN, particularly in the context of the workplace. I say with surety, most Black men welcome women in the workplace. I think any vitriol or finger pointing should be pointed in the direction of White men and women for that matter. They stay hating on any people of color getting gwap.

Same can be said for men from the 1900s being sent to the 1800s and so on and so forth , technological advancement and social trends , less wars, decline in poverty , disease , crime etc changes in human society , its just evolutionary and inevitable i dont think it has anything to do with being punked or soft , people just adapt to whatever environment and times they live in we will say it about the next generation and they will say it about the nex e.t.c...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me simplify this ? :

Women that don't like men or aren't chosen by the men or men they like shaming and demonizing men for being men often times in the same breath complaining about the lack of real men while existing and benefiting from a socioeconomic and cultural structure built by those same men they're demonizing.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bro ? all this and just do you man. Be who you are, if you a toxic masculine dude, good, if you a feminine ass dude, good. Whats up with all this ? recently about people telling people who and how to be?
  • Mister B.
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    Bro ? all this and just do you man. Be who you are, if you a toxic masculine dude, good, if you a feminine ass dude, good. Whats up with all this ? recently about people telling people who and how to be?

Hyper liberalism and extreme feminism joining forces, pretty much.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    R0mp wrote: »
    Lol at the Marines.

Yeah. Have you read that story?

Marine Corps Toxic Masculinity 'Problem'

Well in the Army females are now allowed to try out for the 75th Ranger Regiment and Special Forces. One women did actually pass RASP 2, which is for officers/senior enlisted. Not sure if any female will ever pass the Q course, though. Although, there are always exceptions.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

no , women dont owe you anything.

if shes apart of my household and relationship.....

from the gate she will know what she owes to the relationship and what is expected. and visa versa.

we both have strengths and weaknesses.....but that ? should be found out during the dating process and see how together we can be strong.
  • fortyacres
    Options

i think you will also find this answer works amongst any other group you chose to insert instead of those two.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thats too simple a way of looking at it because hyper conservatism is doing the same thing and telling people how to behave too, but just in the other direction.

Reality is that the power structute in the world is changing, white male dominated society is crumbling and the white males are trying hard to keep any type of power.

This falls in the catagory of race as well as gender. The issue is that other races and the opposite gender also benefited from a white dominated society. For example, minority men in general, black men specifically in America, get ? on and treated with prejudice on all aspects of life, but, because white men also dominate the female gender, minority men have also been allowed to have power over women, specifically women in their race. This is the reason why minority men will talk and even fight for equality, but turn around and ? on women and roll their eyes when women talk about equality. The same can be said about race. White women have been dominated by white men for centuries, but, because white men also dominate minority males, white women have power over minority men too. Thats why white women will talk all this ? white male patriarchy ? but go to a blue lives matter protest.

Its very hard to give up power that you have in society, and when the power structure starts changing, things like this thread happens.

Crazy thing is white liberal males joining the movement for equality and trying to take it over. Its just what they are accustomed too. ? are trying to talk to fix women problems but talk over women. Same ? in race.

But ? it. This is too deep for the IC. Carry on.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

sup gabi

have you ever talked to your people about why they have those qualities?

you might have a new respect for them. might not be so surface
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is dumb. Obviously, there are social issues that still need to be addressed, but it seems like a lot of these SJW groups are becoming more and more extreme and creating boogeymen to fight. As has been said already, too much of anything is bad, masculinity included, but in this world where supposed thugs are walking around with pink hair and purses, can we really say that extreme masculinity is the problem?
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? only exists on the internet I have never seen anybody be told they need to calm down and stop being so manly in real life, now I feel ? off that I read this thread and typed a response.
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Women out here trying to shoehorn themselves into male spaces then complaining about it being overly male...oh okay