Panacea

Options
Neslom
Neslom Members Posts: 431
edited December 2010 in The Essence
Panacea.jpg

Rapper/producer duo from Washington. Ever heard of them?

I've listened to two of their albums The Scenic Route and 12 Step Program. I prefer 12 Step Program of those two. Roots fans will like them.

12 Step Program
The Scenic Route

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They're a nice group, been mentioned here in the past and appeared on some playlist of the months. You been a lifetime fan?

I really like 'Steel Kites' which appeared on 'Ink is my Drink':

Nice thread :tu I'll check the songs you posted later and post another comment! :tu
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    They're a nice group, been mentioned here in the past and appeared on some playlist of the months. You been a lifetime fan?

I saw a review of their album on a rap blog I follow so I decided to listen for myself. Ink Is My Drink was reviwed and given a 5/6 but I haven't got that album. That's a nice track by the way. It seems like that 12 Step Program has a bit more electronic vibe added on some of the tracks than their previous works. It takes a little from the jazz/soul but 12 Step Program is still a nice album. I should get my hands on Ink Is My Drink next, they are a nice rapper/producer group
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Neslom wrote: »
    I saw a review of their album on a rap blog I follow so I decided to listen for myself. Ink Is My Drink was reviwed and given a 5/6 but I haven't got that album. That's a nice track by the way. It seems like that 12 Step Program has a bit more electronic vibe added on some of the tracks than their previous works. It takes a little from the jazz/soul but 12 Step Program is still a nice album. I should get my hands on Ink Is My Drink next, they are a nice rapper/producer group

I have the Scenic Route as well, but I don't have 12 Step Program. Looking forward to giving that a listen if you recommend it.

Steel Kites has always been my favourite, the beat is really original and giving to his rhymes. Perfect mix.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Scenic Route was my ? back in '08... amazing album

I also downloaded the remix of the album but preferred the original...

Yo, Neslom... can you drop a list of their albums and mixtapes so I can check 'em out later?...
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Scenic Route was my ? back in '08... amazing album

I also downloaded the remix of the album but preferred the original...

Yo, Neslom... can you drop a list of their albums and mixtapes so I can check 'em out later?...

You know, i didn't give that album it's time of need. When I get back home I will, though.

Listened to Steel Kites so many times, was one of the first songs I loved by an independent group. Like a year in to my listening.
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Their discography:
    Thinking Back, Looking Forward (2004)
    Ink is My Drink (2005)
    The Scenic Route (2007)
    A Mind on a Ship Through Time (2008)
    The Re Route (2009)
    Corkscrew Gap EP (2009)
    12 Step Program (2010)

I don't know if they have any mixtapes.

I'll give their catalog a couple of listens before deciding which album is better.

Just realized that MC Raw Poetic is from Philadelphia - that city has raised a lot of dope rappers.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Their discography:
    Thinking Back, Looking Forward (2004)
    Ink is My Drink (2005)
    The Scenic Route (2007)
    A Mind on a Ship Through Time (2008)
    The Re Route (2009)
    Corkscrew Gap EP (2009)
    12 Step Program (2010)

I don't know if they have any mixtapes.

I'll give their catalog a couple of listens before deciding which album is better.

Just realized that MC Raw Poetic is from Philadelphia - that city has raised a lot of dope rappers.

Props for the drop...
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited August 2010
    Options
    im the biggest panacea fan i have all their material a little fact that most dont know raw poetic is also in another group called restoring poetry in music they pretty dope they have a cd and ep out
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've just got the ones I was missing from their discography. Going to listen to one or two now.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Listened to their 'Thinking Back Looking Forward' album last night, have to say I really enjoyed it.

It's a shame that I overlooked them as a group worth listening to for a whole LP 'cos I just enjoyed a few songs I picked up over the years, such as Steel Kites that I posted. I did give The Scenic Route a listen a few years back, but never really thought that it was that outstanding to go back and listen to again and again. I'll give it a re-listen though.
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm not done listening to all of their albums but it so far I really like how most of them are concept albums which is something I enjoy
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm not done listening to all of their albums but it so far I really like how most of them are concept albums which is something I enjoy

Do you like the production on 'A Mind on a Ship Through Time'?
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Do you like the production on 'A Mind on a Ship Through Time'?

That's cool as well... but their finest work I think is 'Route
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    That's cool as well... but their finest work I think is 'Route

Yeah, I asked because I find the production weird on A Mind on a Ship Through Time...

I've listened to The Scenic Route a few times, but again a long ass time ago.

Got it playing now thanks to your recommendation :tu
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought the beats where cohesive with the concept but hollow compared to their more jazz/soul-productions.

There's a riff-sample (don't know if that's what it is) on Steel Kites I have heard in another song, anyone know?

Around 00.55
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought the beats where cohesive with the concept but hollow compared to their more jazz/soul-productions.

There's a riff-sample (don't know if that's what it is) on Steel Kites I have heard in another song, anyone know?

Around 00.55

The harmonica type sound? I don't think I've heard it before...
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The harmonica type sound? I don't think I've heard it before...

Yeah, I guess so. Except it was a bit longer. It annoys me everytime I listen to Steel Kites, hehe
    At first I thought it was from Jay-Z D.O.A. but it wasn't then I thought it was from an Eminem song but can't figure out which one or maybe a RZA produced track.
    I'll have to listen to my library all over since I'm certain I have heard it before.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I guess so. Except it was a bit longer. It annoys me everytime I listen to Steel Kites, hehe
    At first I thought it was from Jay-Z D.O.A. but it wasn't then I thought it was from an Eminem song but can't figure out which one or maybe a RZA produced track.
    I'll have to listen to my library all over since I'm certain I have heard it before.

Enjoy doing that... we'll see you here again in like what? A month? haha

I'm off to Barcelona and then onto a festival, so I'm going to be gone for a while. I hope people keep on posting and hopefully September, we'll really get it going.

I've got a bunch of old playlists from as far back as 05/06 I think on my other computer that I'm going to upload when I get back :tu
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Enjoy doing that... we'll see you here again in like what? A month? haha

I'm off to Barcelona and then onto a festival, so I'm going to be gone for a while. I hope people keep on posting and hopefully September, we'll really get it going.

I've got a bunch of old playlists from as far back as 05/06 I think on my other computer that I'm going to upload when I get back :tu

See you around homie...

My next playlist may be Jazz mode...

That new tape from Madlib is just ILL... Medicine Show 7
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    See you around homie...

My next playlist may be Jazz mode...

That new tape from Madlib is just ILL... Medicine Show 7

I'll be back briefly on Thursday before I head to V fest (not that I'm into the music there... but with friends, should be good).

Sounds like that could be an amazing playlist, Dilla. Look forward to hearing it.

I still haven't listened to 7!!! I'll have to give that a listen when I get back!!

Have a good weekend
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Found out where I heard the sample before

Wu-Tang - The Heart Gently Weeps
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I hope you didn't do that alphabetically neslom haha
  • earthling
    earthling Members Posts: 29
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Bumping, got to show love to one of my favourite groups. Ink is my drink and the Scenic Route are far and away their greatest albums and are damn near flawless. I can't say i'm to keen on any of their post Rawkus releases though, seems like they're on the decline.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    earthling wrote: »
    Bumping, got to show love to one of my favourite groups. Ink is my drink and the Scenic Route are far and away their greatest albums and are damn near flawless. I can't say i'm to keen on any of their post Rawkus releases though, seems like they're on the decline.

Nice to see you posting earthling, who else you into?
  • daz156
    daz156 Members Posts: 163
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The Scenic Route won Hip Hop Connection's Album of the Year in 07, beating everything that dropped from mainstream to independent, EVERYTHING.....