Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Non fiction on this topic, cacs don't know how to act
    This is a bad idea.

and makes no sense.

Slavery was abolished in other countries way before so it would have been human right violations probably causing war against America from other countries , Technology also influenced its demise pf slavery and the south was broke.

Also depicting black people in modern day ? as a hypothetical fantasy for white people's a bad idea and might be a rally cry for current racist who romanticize the "so called southern cause".

? gonna flame this show to oblivion and rightly so.

beside the prison industrial complex and mass incarceration is the modern day slavery.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    This is a bad idea.

and makes no sense.

Slavery was abolished in other countries way before so it would have been human right violations probably causing war against America from other countries , Technology also influenced its demise pf slavery and the south was broke.

Also depicting black people in modern day ? as a hypothetical fantasy for white people's a bad idea and might be a rally cry for current racist who romanticize the "so called southern cause".

beside the prison industrial complex and mass incarceration is the modern day slavery.
    Thats most tv shows and movies period

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a white savior show

It's the north trying to overthrow the south who seceded from the US

That's the whole show , so it is like man in the high castle
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ohh and btw most the writers on this show will be black.

So I would have more faith in them
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just because they make it doesn't mean I have to watch it.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not saying it'll be good, just that I wasn't really mad at it. Considering that it hasn't been written, cast or anything it could never see the light of day if the backlash keeps up.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    fortyacres wrote: »
    This is a bad idea.

and makes no sense.

Thats most tv shows and movies period

not this breh , no this!!
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no harm with depicting alternative history
    I'd probably watch.

Its HBO so it'll probably be super lit.

I'd imagine that it'll be some crazy spin that will keep me tuned in EP to EP.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we need to have a show where they show a future without Jews lets see that happen

they got a show like this on amazon where germany won the world war 2 All Jews have been killed. Any jew found is killed. all black folks can only leave on the west coast which is controlled by the Japanese. East Coast controlled by Germans

• Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    we need to have a show where they show a future without Jews lets see that happen

they got a show like this on amazon where germany won the world war 2 All Jews have been killed. Any jew found is killed. all black folks can only leave on the west coast which is controlled by the Japanese. East Coast controlled by Germans

Exactly. It's called Man in the High Castle and its awesome as ? . People criticizing alternate history scenarios are not only obnoxious outrage addicts but they're also probably illiterate since they are seemingly unaware of the great things alternate fiction can convey.

Lion's Blood for example imagined a
    World where Africa was the superpower, colonizing the Americas and enslaving Europeans:

mhdlsikxl9a4.jpg

The Years of Rice and Salt imagined a world where the Black Plague killed 99.9% of white Europeans and Chinese and Indians are now the dominant superpowers:

w85nufiatk4h.jpg

Underground Airlines was critically acclaimed even tho it has the same exact storyline as this new show: slavery surviving to modern times in the Deep South and people banding together to help slaves escape:

n2sr1tdg4yu0.jpg
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm just happy the good guys won in real life.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see no harm. I'd probably watch
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sandinista wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Exactly. It's called Man in the High Castle and its awesome as ? . People criticizing alternate history scenarios are not only obnoxious outrage addicts but they're also probably illiterate since they are seemingly unaware of the great things alternate fiction can convey.

Lion's Blood for example imagined a
    World where Africa was the superpower, colonizing the Americas and enslaving Europeans:

mhdlsikxl9a4.jpg

The Years of Rice and Salt imagined a world where the Black Plague killed 99.9% of white Europeans and Chinese and Indians are now the dominant superpowers:

w85nufiatk4h.jpg

Underground Airlines was critically acclaimed even tho it has the same exact storyline as this new show: slavery surviving to modern times in the Deep South and people banding together to help slaves escape:

n2sr1tdg4yu0.jpg

good ? I'm gonna check these books out
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    People criticizing alternate history scenarios are not only obnoxious outrage addicts but they're also probably illiterate since they are seemingly unaware of the great things alternate fiction can convey.

? that, I read Alternate History every day. You will never see Years of Rice and Salt or Lion's Blood become a major Hollywood production tho. I wonder why. You will also never see Hong Kong produce a film about the MANY Alternate History scenarios where China gets nuked to hell in a Sino-Soviet War. I wonder why.

If this was spearheaded by someone like Spike Lee or Aaron McGruder or Ta-Nehisi Coates, I'd have faith that they wouldn't ? this up. I have no faith in HBO and these Game of Thrones cacs to not ? this up.

A couple of unknown token ? being involved does nothing for me. They didn't create it; they were brought on after the fact by their white bosses to provide cover.

Tarantino don't get a pass for his obsession with the N-word despite making classics, but we gonna give this suspect American Slaveowners Got Talent-ass ? a pass? Really?

• farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    People criticizing alternate history scenarios are not only obnoxious outrage addicts but they're also probably illiterate since they are seemingly unaware of the great things alternate fiction can convey.

? that, I read Alternate History every day. You will never see Years of Rice and Salt or Lion's Blood become a major Hollywood production tho. I wonder why. You will also never see Hong Kong produce a film about the MANY Alternate History scenarios where China gets nuked to hell in a Sino-Soviet War. I wonder why.

If this was spearheaded by someone like Spike Lee or Aaron McGruder or Ta-Nehisi Coates, I'd have faith that they wouldn't ? this up. I have no faith in HBO and these Game of Thrones cacs to not ? this up.

A couple of unknown token ? being involved does nothing for me. They didn't create it; they were brought on after the fact by their white bosses to provide cover.

Tarantino don't get a pass for his obsession with the N-word despite making classics, but we gonna give this suspect American Slaveowners Got Talent-ass ? a pass? Really?
    He kinda does get a pass tho, i mean everybody on here talks bout him using it but erbody still ? wit his movies

• Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

The ? ? Jews run Hollywood and they've had zero problem greenlighting several productions that show alternate universes where Nazis won and Jews got ethered. ? Man in the High Castle is produced by a Jew, Frank Spotnitz.

There's also Fatherland, an HBO movie where Nazis won World War II and dominate Europe:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatherland_(1994_film)

...and they're also making SS-GB, an adaptation of the famous book showing Great Britain under ? ? :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-GB_(TV_series)

NONE of these shows in any way, shape or form, show the Nazis in a positive light. They all show a terrible dystopian world. The heroes are always the ones who fight against them.

WHY would you think this Confederate show would be any different? There's ZERO reason or evidence to think the show will:

1. Depict the Confederates as "heroes" or the Cause as just.

2. NOT show the brutalities inherent in a nation build on slavery.

People railing against this show are literally getting enraged over nothing. They have no evidence whatsoever that the show is something worth getting angry about.

Nothin' but silliness

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This an old ass movie...yall late
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Id watch this ? , kinda anticipating it

? loved Hell on Wheels tho
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ohh and btw most the writers on this show will be black.

So I would have more faith in them

Oh so we have actors and writers coonin'? I find this movie offensive after all the recent slavery films like 12 years a slave and birth of a nation this flick looks like the Hollywood version of" why can't i say the n word?"
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    These whites love this type of ? then they tell you "it's only a show don't be so offended". So I won't be, I just don't want to hear anything when something comes out where black people look good and whites look bad, because I'll just point to this show and use their logic against them.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the show doesn't even exist yet. it seems silly to jump the gun and boycott something that might not suck just because the topic seems like it could be offensive.

i'm not saying that it won't be offensive - but it seems a little premature to boycott an unrealized concept.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D&D have done a poor job handling someone else's story with an amazing blueprint to go on with what could've been the best fantasy series ever. I don't expect any original content from them to be anything special.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    These whites love this type of ? then they tell you "it's only a show don't be so offended". So I won't be, I just don't want to hear anything when something comes out where black people look good and whites look bad, because I'll just point to this show and use their logic against them.

irv gotti already has a show like that called "tales" on bet. some episodes deal with race role reversal.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Kairo wrote: »
    D&D have done a poor job handling someone else's story with an amazing blueprint to go on with what could've been the best fantasy series ever. I don't expect any original content from them to be anything special.

They have the world's most successful show and G.R.R. Martin is years late on delivering his next book so the show has had to go ahead of the books BECAUSE there was no published framework to use because that fat ? wants to write everything else BUT the GoT books these days. I'm sorry, what the ? are you talking about? The last 2 seasons have more or less been their original work and G.R.R. Martin has said as a result he'll make the books different (assuming he ever finished one, let alone two) so they are companion pieces, not the same story in different formats.

I get you're fanboying here, but come the ? on and step into reality. If you're that big on half page descriptions of banquet tables, that's fine, but let's not act like the GoT showrunners have failed spectacularly when it's quite the ? opposite and if anything it's the show's success that is getting in the way of the books because G.R.R. Martin would rather hire a harem of hookers now than write a single sentence because he can afford to now.

Not failed, just fell short. I'm not bashing the show and I'm still watching but they are sprinting at this point and it deserves the same treatment the first 3-4 seasons got. More episodes would've been a boon to the overall story, I don't think they feel comfortable doing anything but hitting the plot points now.

Fanboy? I've never read the books.