Mindhunter (Netflix) (New Show From David Fincher)

Options
lazypakman
lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZCfRD_zWE

How do we get ahead of crazy if we don’t know how crazy thinks? Two FBI agents (Jonathan Groff & Holt McCallany) set out on a sinister investigative odyssey to discover the brutal answers.

From executive producers David Fincher (Zodiac) and Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road) comes a brand new drama that'll take us back in time to the 1970s - and the emerging art of serial killer profiling inside the FBI. Based on both the bestselling book Mind Hunter: Inside The FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit, and the real life agent behind it who developed a lot of the profiling techniques that are still used today. The characters of Jack Crawford in Thomas Harris’ The Silence Of The Lambs and Will Graham in Hannibal are both based on that author - John E. Douglas.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    might be alright
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Started watching this on the flight home today, I'm definitely in. They even represented the home town, Wichita, KS and BTK...

The dude playing Ed Kemper is killing it..he reminds me of the Ed Kemper videos from when he was interviewed a few decades back...incredibly cold and calculating but likeable and even affable..
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I’m so dumb I had no idea those guys were real LOL

I also looked at what became of Richard Speck in prison. Dude became a straight ? .
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • King of GA
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

I also looked at what became of Richard Speck in prison. Dude became a straight ? .

When I was a Psych major in college (1st of a few majors) we watched the Ed Kemper interviews prior to talking about nature vs nurture...that sparked a long fascination with serial killers. For a few years I read damn near everything I could about them....should have applied for the FBI...

I love this show though...
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

The killers or the profilers?
  • Will Munny
    Options

The killers. Are the profilers real too?
  • King of GA
    Options

The killers. Are the profilers real too?

They are based on real people, but not real themselves. I think only the "major" murders featured in the series were real...

The guy who killed that girl in GA and passed the lie detector test but caved in the interview was real too...I read that the real agents set up the interview just like that too...

Just finished. I think it's interesting that the ended the season with Dennis Rader, aka BTK. He was near the beginning of his spree during season 1. I think that scene where he was in a house, got frustrated and left was the one victim that escaped because she got home later than he expected. I'm guessing he will be active in season 2. He killed 10 people, including one whole family or just about the whole family, around my home town between 74 and 91.

After 91 he went dormant but reaurfaced in 2004 when he began taunting the police and the public. He was arrested in 2005...
  • King of GA
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That ? in 2004 and 2005 was crazy too. People, especially women, were running scared trying to get security systems installed and all kinds of stuff. At the time I was working in the call center at the cable company and I can remember women calling because the technician was in their backyard doing some work on the cable line and they wanted to make sure that it wasn't BTK.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watched episode 1 last night gonna watch it again. So far I like it.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    King of GA wrote: »
    That ? in 2004 and 2005 was crazy too. People, especially women, were running scared trying to get security systems installed and all kinds of stuff. At the time I was working in the call center at the cable company and I can remember women calling because the technician was in their backyard doing some work on the cable line and they wanted to make sure that it wasn't BTK.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Some women are "busy-bodies" LOLOL.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

When I was a Psych major in college (1st of a few majors) we watched the Ed Kemper interviews prior to talking about nature vs nurture...that sparked a long fascination with serial killers. For a few years I read damn near everything I could about them....should have applied for the FBI...

just got done with the season

interesting how they all had deep seated issues with their mothers and absentee fathers

ed kemper was especially unsettling ....i was reading he was extremely intelligent. genius level

• King of GA
    Options

interesting how they all had deep seated issues with their mothers and absentee fathers

ed kemper was especially unsettling ....i was reading he was extremely intelligent. genius level

That's what's crazy about it as it rings true for most of these cats...they had no recourse for a ? parent because the other wasn't around. Their only recourse was to act out by inflicting their pain on something or someone. But in reality, all they really wanted was for their mother to accept them...

I firmly believe that there is a nature aspect to behavior, however it's manifestation is greatly influenced by nurture, or lack thereof...
  • Will Munny
    Options

Watch the actual Ed Kemper interviews. ? is ? up. Not sure he was a genuis but he was def smart.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    20 mins in love the look

Just like zodiac
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    20 mins in love the look

Just like zodiac

That's cuz Fincher directed this too
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

That ? was crazy to me. It made me think how ppl with daddy issues don't do ? like this. It's always an issue with the mother that ruined those dude's images of women.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

That's what's crazy about it as it rings true for most of these cats...they had no recourse for a ? parent because the other wasn't around. Their only recourse was to act out by inflicting their pain on something or someone. But in reality, all they really wanted was for their mother to accept them...

I firmly believe that there is a nature aspect to behavior, however it's manifestation is greatly influenced by nurture, or lack thereof...

Yea again def interesting

You think for every Ed Kemper, there's hundreds of others who with a similar family background who end up being functional members of the society

Is it he was predisposed to be a certain way and the less than ideal childhood just tips them over?

Would he have ended up killing even if he came from a balanced, loving two parent home?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

That ? was crazy to me. It made me think how ppl with daddy issues don't do ? like this. It's always an issue with the mother that ruined those dude's images of women.

right

you have ur exceptions like aileen wuornos the serial killer the movie monster is based on. she killed like 6 men. her father was a ? . not sure about her mother

then the number suggest most serial killers are men

but it is crazy when you look at how men and women deal with abuse and broken homes differently ...but i guess its not surprising considering how men and women relate to the world and our parents differently

makes you think of the limits of human agency as well

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

Watch the actual Ed Kemper interviews. ? is ? up. Not sure he was a genuis but he was def smart.

i've had enough for ed kemper for right now

but yea he is a character

they say he's narrated 700 books for the blind...and could have gotten out on bail but requested to stay locked up

https://www.avclub.com/listen-to-the-real-ed-kemper-from-mindhunter-reading-au-1819716594
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

right

you have ur exceptions like aileen wuornos the serial killer the movie monster is based on. she killed like 6 men. her father was a ? . not sure about her mother

but it is crazy when you look at how men and women deal with abuse and broken homes differently ...but i guess its not surprising considering how men and women relate to the world and our parents differently

Not just men...white men. Idk what that's about (I have a few ideas lol)

I looked up female serial killers to see if any of em ever did the precision killing like male serial killers do and there weren't any...damn near all of em killed kids or elderly ppl. Aileen wuornos was the only one I found that specifically targeted men.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    edited October 2017
    Options

right

Not just men...white men. Idk what that's about (I have a few ideas lol)

I looked up female serial killers to see if any of em ever did the precision killing like male serial killers do and there weren't any...damn near all of em killed kids or elderly ppl. Aileen wuornos was the only one I found that specifically targeted men.

i have a few ideas myself ...if you like to begin lol

was just doing a little more reading and i was actually surprised though that relative to men, women represent a larger percentage of serial murders than all other homicide cases in the U.S which kind of changes things....

approximately 17 percent of all serial homicides in the U.S. are committed by women. Interestingly, only 10 percent of total murders in the U.S. are committed by women. Therefore, relative to men, women represent a larger percentage of serial murders than all other homicide cases in the U.S. This is an important and revealing fact that defies the popular understanding of serial murder.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/5-myths-about-serial-killers-and-why-they-persist-excerpt/

• atribecalledgabi
    Options
    @Madame_CJSkywalker this is what I said on another site about it
    in my uninformed opinion, I think it has something to do with society in the case of white men...like white men are the dominant group so white men in general feel entitled to things they think they should own/have dominance over - which happened to be women and women's sexuality in these cases.

To that point, we really don't have any nonwhite serial killers like that either. It's almost exclusively whites...

You see it manifesting now with all this alt-right ? of white men feeling like they are owed a bigger piece of the pie strictly off their whiteness.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    20 mins in love the look

Just like zodiac

That's cuz Fincher directed this too

@Max. You might like this
    https://youtu.be/GfqD5WqChUY