Nas is all 5's! except

Catalog (4)
    Collabs (4)
    Eta: I had to make some corrections.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "- His record sales are not exceptional for a good rapper"

8 Platinum albums (Counting the Firm album) and 2 Gold albums. Besides Jay, Pac and Em who has more?

If we only measured by 90s standards, you'd have a point. However, when you got cats coming out now going Platinum in less than a month, suddenly a Platinum album is no longer the standard for good sales. I mean T.I. doesn't have as many albums as Nas and he's got 5 Plats and 2 Golds.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

8 Platinum albums (Counting the Firm album) and 2 Gold albums. Besides Jay, Pac and Em who has more?

If we only measured by 90s standards, you'd have a point. However, when you got cats coming out now going Platinum in less than a month, suddenly a Platinum album is no longer the standard for good sales. I mean T.I. doesn't have as many albums as Nas and he's got 5 Plats and 2 Golds.

Nas sold the records he sold without a top ten billboard single. No pop records. "If I Ruled the World" is his only gold single. That proves how impactful his was.

How many rappers have 8 separate album Platinum plaqs plus 2 gold's?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Nas is pretty close to the perfect MC, but he doesn't deserve a perfect score.

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

Nosign.

There are tens of thousands, (if not hundreds of thousands) of rap artists.

Out of the tens of thousands of rappers:

how many have a 5 mic classic?

how many have two 5 mic classics?

how many have three 5 mic classics?

I think we can all agree that Nas has at least three 5 mic classics. We wouldn't agree on which albums, but for the sake of argument lets say Nas has 12 albums, at least three 5 mic classics and scores of collaborations

Here's a link to all of his collaborations:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi3wJf62_LVAhWj24MKHTrvD0gQygQILTAA&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nas_discography#Collaboration_singles&usg=AFQjCNFOi4zTT_pzmjto6kRaUKwAs-9RIg

Here's a double disc I made of Nas collaborations a while back

1. Live @ The Barbeque - Large Professor, Akinyele and Joe Fatal
    2. Back To The Grill Again - MC Search, Chubb Rock and Red Hot Lover Tone
    3. Mo Money Mo Homicide - AZ
    4. Verbal Intercourse - Ghostface and Raekwon
    5. Foulness Freestyle
    6. Phone Tap - AZ, Nature and Dr Dre
    7. Grand Finale - DMX, Method Man and Ja Rule
    8. Body In The Trunk - NORE
    9. John Blaze - Fat Joe, Jadakiss, Big Pun and Raekwon
    10. Its Mine - Mobb Deep
    11. The Essence - AZ
    12. Serious - AZ
    13. Stillmatic Freestyle

1 Hot Boys - Missy Elliot, Eve and Q Tip
    2 Ice King - Res feat Nas
    3 The Bridge 2001
    4 Second Coming
    5 Don’t Body Yourself
    6 My Will
    7 Material Things - Jully Black
    8 The Rise and Fall
    9 2 Seater Produced by Swizz Beats
    10 We March As Millions
    11 Quick To Back Down - Lil John and The Bravehearts
    12 Stay Chisled - Large Professor
    13 New York State of Mind III - Rakim and Alicia Keys
    14 Classic feat Kanye West, Rakim, KRS and DJ Premiere

If Nas's two worst albums are Nastradamus and Street's Disciple then he has a near flawless catalog. And considering that nobody's perfect he deserves a 5 for catalog.

Ok, again, recognize what the scores mean. A 4 doesn't mean someone stands out among thousands of trash rappers. A 4 means that person stands out among dozens of good to great rappers. A 5 means that person is arguable top 5 or top 10 at worse. If every one agrees that Nas has a top 5-10 catalog I'll up his score.

As for the collaborations, he has a lot, but it not just about how many. It's also about who. I only docked him him .5 and it's because his collaborations are like 90% with NYC artists from the 90s. Meanwhile you have other people who have worked with damn near everyone in the game.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ok, no one agrees with the Impact score. I asked if 4 was a good compromise. You guys are making good arguments that it deserves to be raised, but a 5 would put him on Jay and 2Pac's level and above Big based on previous scoring. Do ya'll really think that Nas holds that much influence in the industry? I mean let's be real, someone like 50 has had more of an impact than Nas. His music hasn't been as good or meaningful, but for a while every move he made had an effect on pretty much everyone else coming out in NYC. Can you really say that's ever been the case for Nas?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

But 4 isn't a bad score though. 4 means that he stands out even among good to great rappers. And if he truly had 2 bad albums, 6 great albums, and 4 classics, he'd definitely get a 5. But objectively speaking, even as a Nas fan, I don't think his discography breaks down that favorably. I Am is actually one of my favorite Nas albums, but it's not even close to classic. The same goes for ? 's Son. He's got 2 or 3 classics, 2 or 3 subpar albums, and the rest are just good. That's more like a 4 than a 5.

Illmatic, Iww, Stillmatic, Untitled,Life is Good and Lost tapes were all either called classics or critical acclaimed. I think ? Son was a classic and their are others that agree. But lets say it's really great. Hip-Hop is dead was great. I am was good. SD was decent. and Nastradumas was bad. I see one good album, one decent album, one bad album and the rest great or better.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who going plat in a month besides Em, Jay, and maybe Drake?

A month or 6 months a platinum plaque is a platinum plaque.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

But 4 isn't a bad score though. 4 means that he stands out even among good to great rappers. And if he truly had 2 bad albums, 6 great albums, and 4 classics, he'd definitely get a 5. But objectively speaking, even as a Nas fan, I don't think his discography breaks down that favorably. I Am is actually one of my favorite Nas albums, but it's not even close to classic. The same goes for ? 's Son. He's got 2 or 3 classics, 2 or 3 subpar albums, and the rest are just good. That's more like a 4 than a 5.

Illmatic, Iww, Stillmatic, Untitled,Life is Good and Lost tapes were all either called classics or critical acclaimed. I think ? Son was a classic and their are others that agree. But lets say it's really great. Hip-Hop is dead was great. I am was good. SD was decent. and Nastradumas was bad. I see one good album, one decent album, one bad album and the rest great or better.

Ok, but can you admit that you are a little biased with your assessments?

SD is typically spoken about nearly as badly as Nastradamus, so that's two that are bad.

And who calls all those albums classics? Mostly Nas fans right? What average Hip Hop fan is running around talking about the Lost Tapes or ? 's Son are classics? Hell, I'm a Nas fan and I don't even believe that. I think the majority of his albums are good to great, but he has some that aren't all that. As a result, I'd say a 5 is high for his Catalog, but what about a 4.5. That would mean that he for sure has a Top 10 Catalog. Would you agree with that?
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options

Who going plat in a month besides Em, Jay, and maybe Drake?

A month or 6 months a platinum plaque is a platinum plaque.

The point wasn't necessarily the time. It was the fact that platinum plaques aren't as hard to come by now. In the early 90s a platinum plaque was much rarer. People back then bragged about Gold. Nowadays, rappers clown other rappers for only going gold. Average ass rappers like Rick Ross have platinum albums.

Anyways, I'm putting the option of raising Catalog to 4.5 and Impact to 4 out there. The desire for Nas fans to see all 5s aside, can people get behind those changes?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    same ? new thread...

Yep, so feel free not to participate since you don't like them.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SD is typically spoken about nearly as badly as Nastradamus, so that's two that are bad.

And who calls all those albums classics? Mostly Nas fans right? What average Hip Hop fan is running around talking about the Lost Tapes or ? 's Son are classics? Hell, I'm a Nas fan and I don't even believe that. I think the majority of his albums are good to great, but he has some that aren't all that. As a result, I'd say a 5 is high for his Catalog, but what about a 4.5. That would mean that he for sure has a Top 10 Catalog. Would you agree with that?

When talking about classic, I'm going by what other people and the media are saying. When those album i named came out, people said they were critically acclaimed. The 6 I named.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "...I got this locked since 9-1, I am the truest
    Name a rapper that I ain't influenced..."
  • enbo
    enbo Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    nas is the goat on paper
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If Streets Disciple and Nastradamus are Nas's worst albums then he gets a strong 5 for catalog. Those two albums are better than most people's albums.

And if you compare those two albums to anybody else who has a 20+ year career, anybody else probably has two or three albums that aren't as strong as their best albums

LL Cool J
    Eminem
    Jay Z
    Rakim
    KRS One
    Kool G Rap
    Masta Ace
    Snoop
    Ice Cube
    Outkast
    The Roots
    WuTang (Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon)
    The Lox (Jadakiss, Styles P, Sheek Louch)
    Cam'ron
    Too $hort
    Master P
    E-40

^^^ Thats 20 artists that have been around for 20+years. How many of them can you say have a better catalog than Nas?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    ? steady fighting me on this but no one is really giving any input on the scoring suggestions. I don't agree with any of this ? ya'll saying. So I'll put it up for a vote.

If you think the scores for Catalog and Impact should both be 5, Goat this post.
    If you think 4.5 for Catalog and 4 for impact is fine, Cosign this post.
    If you think neither change should be made, Nosign this post.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    The Nas-Non IC ? worship score.

Lyrics - 5
    Delivery - 4
    Language - 5
    Storytelling - 5
    Catalog - 4
    Subject Matter - 4
    Creativity - 5
    Collaboration - 3
    Impact - 3

Score : 38

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guys this 'X rapper should be all 5s' is ? and against the point of the game.

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen this coming..... Everybody in the other threads who rated a rapper high was called a stan but come in here and ? handing out perfect scores and the stan or overrating words ain't been used one time yet smh
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    id agree with op except one

Language: should be 4.5-4.75 at most

NAS is amazing at everything else, but I think he should be penalized for not being that strong when it comes to wordplay , multis,double entendres and punchlines. Alot of hip hop fans don't value these things but some do. And there's alot of rappers on the goat list who does these things better than him. Personally, I like him enough to give him a 5 but I understand if people don't.

also for those giving nas a five in impact...come on my g. what do you guys give Jay Kanye and tupac? 10's?

Nas should be at most 4 on impact

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I seen this coming..... Everybody in the other threads who rated a rapper high was called a stan but come in here and ? handing out perfect scores and the stan or overrating words ain't been used one time yet smh

Anybody who made "Nas the GOAT, all 5s" posts has gotten ignored in here just like they did in every other topic. People aren't even debating whether or not he should get all 5s. They are providing actual arguments for why he should get his score raised in certain categories. The same thing happened in every other topic. Every other artist had their scores raised as a result of the debate. So I'm not doing anything different. And I have accused people of voting on bias in here. So stop with the woe is me, you're not being fair ? .

If you think he's being overrated, make an argument for why a score should be lowered. If you're just here to whine about the way the topics is being done, join @Soloman_The_Wise in kicking rocks.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't writing no paragraphs over nas from a phone

Take these scores and shut the ? up lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options
    R2_163 wrote: »
    id agree with op except one

Language: should be 4.5-4.75 at most

NAS is amazing at everything else, but I think he should be penalized for not being that strong when it comes to wordplay , multis,double entendres and punchlines. Alot of hip hop fans don't value these things but some do. And there's alot of rappers on the goat list who does these things better than him. Personally, I like him enough to give him a 5 but I understand if people don't.

also for those giving nas a five in impact...come on my g. what do you guys give Jay Kanye and tupac? 10's?

Nas should be at most 4 on impact

Nas' wordplay is pretty good, not the best. He's pushed up to a 5 because he's good across the board. Metaphors, complex rhyme schemes, word selection and overall vocabulary, etc... Do you disagree that Nas is one over the most well rounded ever when it comes to these things?