What's the most you ever made per hour? (spin off)

Options

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    $29.26 I should clear $90k with oncall/OT. Get a company truck to drive to work and back home, gas on them. Cable/phone/internet/security system I pay $50 a month. Company match my 401k 100% up to 6%. I started off 11.5 years ago making $11 an hour. I'm 32 now.

6ieda1bzo568.jpg

? postin stubs and ? now???

? just got real

koncept_billing.jpg

You're right, it did. Little bit more than half of my client list.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    To those who work contracts. Don't know of you know this or not but you can have the agency you work for split your wage. What I mean by that you can have them pay half your wage tax and the other half nontaxable. For example say you're making $45/he you can negotiate that pay to split so the nontaxed wage can be for your per diem or whatever. It's a nice little come up and it's legal up to 6mos

I ain't got time for that. It's all or nothing; either I'm w2 or 1099/c2c.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    To those who work contracts. Don't know of you know this or not but you can have the agency you work for split your wage. What I mean by that you can have them pay half your wage tax and the other half nontaxable. For example say you're making $45/he you can negotiate that pay to split so the nontaxed wage can be for your per diem or whatever. It's a nice little come up and it's legal up to 6mos

Good to know though. Although I usually go 1099 / C2C like konceptjones, sometimes the only option for a contract is W2.

Itemizing like a MF.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got like 5 cats into IT and got them contracting jobs using my connects.

Next step is for me to start a mini staffing firm.
  • 7figz
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

I've been looking into the staffing ? too. Middle-man caking off your hourly wage unnecessarily.

I stopped trying to talk MFs into this IT ? . I mention it, but trying to put MFs on when they doubt themselves was too tiring. Kept gettin hit with that - yeah, you gotta be real good at math, etc...

That's what's up tho - glad you was able to put people on.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

I've been looking into the staffing ? too. Middle-man caking off your hourly wage unnecessarily.

I stopped trying to talk MFs into this IT ? . I mention it, but trying to put MFs on when they doubt themselves was too tiring. Kept gettin hit with that - yeah, you gotta be real good at math, etc...

Yea bruh. That math ? is hilarious. Unless you coding an application thats doing lots of calculations, you dont need math for ? .

And in QA/BA work, you dont need math at all.

And the staffing firm to me is on some ? like I have relationships with managers that hire people just off me saying its good, so I can put people on through my potential company and make some money.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man some ppl u cant blame. All thru school i would study my ass off for a math test and still end up no better than a C or D.

Then write my ass off an A on every essay/final on the spot, wrote some essays for other ppl n got em A's, even tutored one of my friends.

Numbers were just never my thing but it seems to get u farther in most higher paying careers.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $29.26 I should clear $90k with oncall/OT. Get a company truck to drive to work and back home, gas on them. Cable/phone/internet/security system I pay $50 a month. Company match my 401k 100% up to 6%. I started off 11.5 years ago making $11 an hour. I'm 32 now.

6ieda1bzo568.jpg

? just got real

koncept_billing.jpg

I've been spending some time on Upwork looking for clients.. How long did it take you to land the first one?
  • konceptjones
    Options

Crazy ? : I've googled a number of people I ran with back in the 90's. Lotta folks I kept tellin to get up on working on computers, tried to show 'em how to build them whenever I had someone wanting me to build one for them, all that ? . When I got my first real job in IT I kept tellin folks they need to come on with me and all of 'em scoffed at it.

We good and in our 40's. More than half the people I googled just came out of some form of IT boot camp. Some of 'em had degrees already and last I spoke were trying to get a job in their fields. 17 years later and NOW you wanna get in on it? Better late than never I guess but ? if that wasn't a lot of wasted time.

I've actually been toying with the idea of setting up a little staffing company on Upwork (they have the option to do that), hire a bunch of Indians, Ukrainians, and Filipinos to work for $10/hr but I'll be charging $15/hr to the clients. Get about 10-15 of 'em???!!!

giphy.gif
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

Man some ppl u cant blame. All thru school i would study my ass off for a math test and still end up no better than a C or D.

Then write my ass off an A on every essay/final on the spot, wrote some essays for other ppl n got em A's, even tutored one of my friends.

Numbers were just never my thing but it seems to get u farther in most higher paying careers.

Same here. With that said I'm still planning on making use off my IT degree after all. I figured since I already have a STEM degree I might as well use it. Like ? said above unless you're programing mathematical formulas are a non factor.
  • 7figz
    Options

The math ain't that serious though - not for most of modern development. I think when people said ? like that about being a "programmer", they were misinformed to say the least. Long story short, you don't have to be a math wiz to be a developer.
  • jmol
    jmol Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Options
    36.50 as a police officer recruit. Then I fractured my hand and my dream job ended
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Used to hear that math ? when I'd try to put my ? onto engineering. It's tough, but I ain't using none of that difficult stuff in my day to day now. I was always average at the ? , but you go to an HBCU...surround yourself with a good group of ppl or get you a girl in the department, and you'll be straight. Yean gotta be no A student. Teamwork make the dream work. ? would come to me asking questions about the field, but would let the math scare em and not even try. ? try...quit doubting yaself...you might be better at it than you think
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $52/hr Some of ya'll ? is doing it though. Makes me wonder why I'm not making more and then I remember I have like 0 drive and realize I'm blessed to be making what I'm making. lol

If u put the same energy into your career the way you do w/ your (titangraph) post, you'd prolly double your $. lol

You're doing very well tho!
  • konceptjones
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »

6ieda1bzo568.jpg

? just got real

koncept_billing.jpg

I've been spending some time on Upwork looking for clients.. How long did it take you to land the first one?

I signed up while I was still working as an engineer back when it was still called oDesk. It was really just to get some extra money back then. I started going at it hard on oDesk/Upwork about two months after I got them papers. It took about 4-5 months after that before I landed my first gig, but I had to lowball myself to get it.

The way to do it really is to take a gig or two for low money, say $15-$20/hr and knock it out the park. Once those clients give you a good rating you push your rate up from there and chill with that for a while and take care of the clients you get well to get more good ratings. After a while you get the "Top Rated" designation and can take it higher but you gotta be careful with that, you can't push your price too high or clients will skip you by. How much you can charge really depends on what you're doing on there too. You can also work more than one client at a time, but your hourly clients have a restriction: you can't track time for more than one at a time. You can work on as many flat rate clients as you can handle, but the hourly gigs have to be tracked one at a time (i.e. work 2hrs for client A, stop the clock and switch to client B and work for an hour, etc...)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    $52/hr Some of ya'll ? is doing it though. Makes me wonder why I'm not making more and then I remember I have like 0 drive and realize I'm blessed to be making what I'm making. lol

If u put the same energy into your career the way you do w/ your (titangraph) post, you'd prolly double your $. lol

You're doing very well tho!

? you ain't lying about that. lol I get paid 52/hr, but that's based on a 40 hour work week. In truth, I probably actually work 18 hrs a day. The funny thing is I get all my work done. Expectations at some of these places are so low that it's not hard to look like you're going above and beyond.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a Telecom contractor depending on the role my asking price $45-65/hr not counting per diem and or vehicle mileage (that's another check that's not taxed depending on the contract. If it's a short term gig I may ask for more.

you in telecom?

niggaaaaaaaaa

my next visit to charlotte we really need to talk.

i got idea for you
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

6ieda1bzo568.jpg

this ? said i got proof.....lol

props bruh
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »

6ieda1bzo568.jpg

? just got real

koncept_billing.jpg

I signed up while I was still working as an engineer back when it was still called oDesk. It was really just to get some extra money back then. I started going at it hard on oDesk/Upwork about two months after I got them papers. It took about 4-5 months after that before I landed my first gig, but I had to lowball myself to get it.

The way to do it really is to take a gig or two for low money, say $15-$20/hr and knock it out the park. Once those clients give you a good rating you push your rate up from there and chill with that for a while and take care of the clients you get well to get more good ratings. After a while you get the "Top Rated" designation and can take it higher but you gotta be careful with that, you can't push your price too high or clients will skip you by. How much you can charge really depends on what you're doing on there too. You can also work more than one client at a time, but your hourly clients have a restriction: you can't track time for more than one at a time. You can work on as many flat rate clients as you can handle, but the hourly gigs have to be tracked one at a time (i.e. work 2hrs for client A, stop the clock and switch to client B and work for an hour, etc...)

Interesting.. Good insight here.. Thanks..
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man, I could never get the numbers, but I went to Chicago State for Professional and Technical writing in the Journalism field. But they say if you good in math most people can't write and vice versa
  • 7figz
    Options

Man, I could never get the numbers, but I went to Chicago State for Professional and Technical writing in the Journalism field. But they say if you good in math most people can't write and vice versa

I saw a dope Technical Writer position (in the IT field) the other day. I have no doubt, with that degree, you'd have been able to finesse that ? whether or not you had IT experience. ? was paying bank and was remote if I remember correctly.