Mental illness is on the rise

Options
KamPushMe
KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems like the majority people I encountered is dealing with something. Studies even show its rising
https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58ee9a13e4b0da2ff85de60a/amp

Why do y’all think more people in this day and age are getting depressed?

Comments

• babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's all the chemicals we are literally swimming in.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mental illness has been on the rise since the beginning. The more aberrated society becomes the more people's mind reflect that.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the diet
    and the ig and facebook and snapchat...having just the right photos to make someone seem like they living a life you wish you had.

? dont know once the photo is snapped...they gotta give the stack of money back or them hoes leave once the bottle is finished or the ? comes out the store an ask a ? to get off his car.

Aren't you Xanax bar user?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that there always was a large gray area between sane and insane.

If it's supposedly on the rise, it's either propaganda or side-effects of all the drugs they're currently making. Just read the side-effects, ? suicidal thoughts / depression / worse for damn near everything.

Blame the FDA.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of people are abusing drugs. in some form or fashion, alot of people cant cope with hardships, just normally.. and then you had that crazy with liquor or drugs.. People TRY to shortcut their way to comfort/tranquility when they really make it worst by abusing their minds/bodies exacerbating the problems
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    the diet
    and the ig and facebook and snapchat...having just the right photos to make someone seem like they living a life you wish you had.

? dont know once the photo is snapped...they gotta give the stack of money back or them hoes leave once the bottle is finished or the ? comes out the store an ask a ? to get off his car.

Aren't you Xanax bar user?

hell no.

i was prescribed ambien cause i couldnt sleep....? had me fukked up.

i kept fighting my sleep to answer one last email or one last IC post or answer that one last call.

til ? started saying how dumb i was sounding....smdh

had to leave that ? alone
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Societal ills will continue to be a contributing factor as well.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the diet

Bruh, what does everything after "diet" have to do with mental illness rising?

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    the diet

? fall into depression thinking they life aint ? .

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/depression/questions/social-media-depression.htm

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.pn.2017.1b16

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/instagram-most-likely-to-cause-young-people-to-feel-depressed-and-lonely-out-of-major-social-apps-study-says.html
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    The mental sciences have advanced enough to where we've gotten better at diagnosing mental illness.
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Mental health been here.. folk really are paying attention more and seekin help.

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Complete ? . Just an excuse to peddle out drugs to people.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mostly because people don't study themselves and spend too much time studying ? that will not help them with what really matters, society tells them what to think and how to feel, the news tells them how the world is full of terror and war and it ? them up because they fell for the trap, the world isn't going to end so smile now you miserable ? !

Some people just need to have a good talk with somebody but instead they are having drugs thrown at them, some people really do have mental health problems and drugs could be the answer but IMO most have just fallen into a pit of negativity I know how it feels because I have been there and even now I sometimes fall back into this state, I am getting better at controlling my own mind now and I am mastering myself.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    It seems like the majority people I encountered is dealing with something. Studies even show its rising
    https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58ee9a13e4b0da2ff85de60a/amp

People are more connected virtually, but less connected physically. We are a species that comes from tribes/villages. Having a community of people around us at all times. Nowadays, a lot of people will contact people people through FB or whatever social networking app, but they will stay in their room everyday doing it.

When people meet face to face and have a conversation, that connection releases Oxytocin and Dopamine and Serotonin. When people are in their room alone, even if they are talking with tons of people, they are missing that connection. They are living their life like they've been banished from the tribe/village.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The mental sciences have advanced enough to where we've gotten better at diagnosing mental illness.
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Mental health been here.. folk really are paying attention more and seekin help.

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »

First of all, mental health isn't limited to depression, it includes all forms of psychiatric illnesses, including PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, and a host of other diseases.

Secondly, that article is ? . It's HuffPo, written by a Journalist with no background in medicine or public health. In the hierarchy of sources, it's about as ? as it gets and would get laughed at by anyone with any serious discussions regarding mental health.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov is a much better place to look for a serious study on health-related issues, since you'd be looking at actual research studies.

Secondly, in terms of the actual article itself, and the source from which it's derived (the CDC), the article isn't stating that mental health diseases like Depression are up, just that Serious Psychological Distress is up. Serious Psychological Distress, as defined by the CDC itself, is defined as a subjective measurement of distress relating to issues that can be related to anything other than actual mental health. While it can include mental health issues like depression, mania, etc, the CDC also states that Serious Psychological Distress can include disturbed occupational and social functioning by men whose net income increases. So this includes a broader definition than just Psychiatric Diseases.

Just want to get that out of the way, since there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread.

The article itself relates to the access to adequate healthcare in the face of psychological distress, which seemingly has declined, or is at least inadequate for the current needs among the American population. It says nothing about depression.

The content from the CDC upon which that ? article is based on is a meta-analysis, so it is a pretty good source of evidence for the actual issue arising in access to adequate healthcare for people facing psychological distress.
  • sully
    Options
    the diet

Actually, studies show that increased usage of social media itself isn't correlated with depression, so much as the interactions with people on social media. These interactions include things like bullying and unwanted messages by contacts and others. Not specifically the usage of social media itself. And these studies are formulated from online surveys, and are case-control studies, which are near the bottom of the hierarchy of evidence used in medicine to assess actual cause-and-effect.

Mental health disorders like depression do correlate somewhat with higher usage of social media, but again, it's based moreso on the interactions of those people on social media moreso than the usage itself. The studies also don't show cause-and-effect, just a correlation that doesn't take into account whether the higher usage is due to depressed mood or if the depressed mood is resultant from the social media usage. In terms of clinical evidence, the studies amount to nothing more than "that's interesting", but nothing that would warrant any warnings regarding usage of facebook/instagram/snapchat/etc. Plus, again, it's selection bias due to it being based off surveys of online users. And if you've gone on any form of social media, like reddit, or twitter, etc, people are always claiming to be depressed without any evidence that would actually lead to a clinical diagnosis (which is what depression is, a clinical diagnosis).
  • sully
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    It's all the chemicals we are literally swimming in.

No.

DNA is a chemical. Proteins are chemicals. Water is a chemical.
  • sully
    Options
    Mental illness has been on the rise since the beginning. The more aberrated society becomes the more people's mind reflect that.

Someone here had it correct. Increased mental illness is due to increased ability to diagnose and adequately identify the signs and symptoms. Mental illness is no different than any other disease. Incidence of certain mental illnesses are higher than others, for example, depression as a 20% lifetime incidence, meaning 20% of the population at any given point may present with signs of depression. Doesn't mean everyone has it all the time, or that everyone will get it. Just that 20% may be diagnosable for it at some point.

Similarly, Schizophrenia has a 1% worldwide prevalence. Meaning 1% of the world's population likely has schizophrenia or its associated conditions (schizophreniform, brief psychotic disorder).

Bipolar is something to the effect of 5%-10% worldwide prevalence, but don't quote me on that number.

Now, unless you're talking about stresses from our day-to-day life contributing to society being more "aberrant", then I can agree with you to some extent. Then again, allowing people to be more of themselves and the removal of certain stigmas as a means to be prejudiced, might actually be contributing to a decline in some cases of depression, since people no longer have to live with certain societal prejudices, like being black, or being ? , or being of a different religion from those around you. Those stigmas removed, may potentiate a decline in some forms of depression in the coming years (stats on this won't likely be available for about a decade, so we'll just have to see).
  • sully
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that there always was a large gray area between sane and insane.

If it's supposedly on the rise, it's either propaganda or side-effects of all the drugs they're currently making. Just read the side-effects, ? suicidal thoughts / depression / worse for damn near everything.

Blame the FDA.

sane/insane are legal definitions, not clinical ones. They have no place in a clinical discussion regarding mental health.

Also, regulations by the FDA ensure that we are able to actually quantify the effects of certain medications that may or may not contribute to depression. They aren't just throwing out drugs for people to use, nor are pharmaceutical companies necessarily looking to make people depressed. Medications, especially psychiatric ones, have complex interactions in the brain. And anyone who has studied neuroscience will tell you how little we actually know about the brain and the potential interactions that can take place. That's not to say we don't know a lot, but there is a lot of interactions that happen in the brain that we haven't fully comprehended yet.

If it wasn't for the FDA, pharmaceutical companies would pump out even more medications, and wouldn't be forced to study their effects after they are released to the market.
  • sully
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    the diet

? fall into depression thinking they life aint ? .

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/depression/questions/social-media-depression.htm

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.pn.2017.1b16

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/instagram-most-likely-to-cause-young-people-to-feel-depressed-and-lonely-out-of-major-social-apps-study-says.html

Articles 1 and 3 are garbage. Utter ? . The French Montana's of science articles.

Study 2, however, is a case-control study that shows a correlation, but says nothing about cause-and-effect. And i've mentioned in another post, refers to interactions on social media over the actual usage of social media. It does not show cause-and-effect regarding usage. Too many confounding variables to factor in.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »

Someone here had it correct. Increased mental illness is due to increased ability to diagnose and adequately identify the signs and symptoms. Mental illness is no different than any other disease. Incidence of certain mental illnesses are higher than others, for example, depression as a 20% lifetime incidence, meaning 20% of the population at any given point may present with signs of depression. Doesn't mean everyone has it all the time, or that everyone will get it. Just that 20% may be diagnosable for it at some point.

Similarly, Schizophrenia has a 1% worldwide prevalence. Meaning 1% of the world's population likely has schizophrenia or its associated conditions (schizophreniform, brief psychotic disorder).

Bipolar is something to the effect of 5%-10% worldwide prevalence, but don't quote me on that number.

Now, unless you're talking about stresses from our day-to-day life contributing to society being more "aberrant", then I can agree with you to some extent. Then again, allowing people to be more of themselves and the removal of certain stigmas as a means to be prejudiced, might actually be contributing to a decline in some cases of depression, since people no longer have to live with certain societal prejudices, like being black, or being ? , or being of a different religion from those around you. Those stigmas removed, may potentiate a decline in some forms of depression in the coming years (stats on this won't likely be available for about a decade, so we'll just have to see).

Society as a whole is sick and will be until every man is every man's keeper. There cannot be rich people and poor people, a society like that will not last, eventually a majority of the money will be on one side and the whole thing will go for a ? . I believe mentally ill people are a reflection of our society being sick as a whole.
  • sully
    Options
    sully wrote: »

Society as a whole is sick and will be until every man is every man's keeper. There cannot be rich people and poor people, a society like that will not last, eventually a majority of the money will be on one side and the whole thing will go for a ? . I believe mentally ill people are a reflection of our society being sick as a whole.

There will always be rich and poor people. If you don't like that, then you can probably move to another planet (whenever that becomes feasible). Otherwise, get used to it.

That said, is society any sicker today than it was 150 or so years ago? When white people owned black people? When death and disease plagued society more than they do now? When the poorest were even poorer than they are now? The rich have increased and consolidated wealth, but the poverty floor is higher in the U.S. now than ever before.

100 years ago people were going off to war b/c one rich cousin didn't like another rich cousin.

100 years ago whites were taking over nearly every society around the world and stealing wealth, leaving nations and peoples in greater desperation than we've seen since. Literally taking over and stealing the wealth while murdering anyone who stood up for themselves.

75 years ago, multiple genocides were in order, in Germany, Turkey, Russia, China, Africa, India. Society was "sicker" than, then it is now?

50 years ago, blacks and anyone with dark skin were segregated based on skin colour alone in the U.S. Stress among African Americans was easily higher then, than now, due to increased poverty and decreased upward social mobility.

If you were ? 50 years ago, no one could ever know.

If you were a different religion, from those around you, and people knew, you'd likely be isolated and ostracized over the stigma of just thinking differently.

More flashing lights and the internet doesn't make society "sicker".

Would you rather work 8-10 hrs a day for minimum wage in McDonalds or work 16-18 hours a day in the cotton fields? Which of those two options is more depraved and degrading to you?

Sure, things could be better, but death and war are near all-time lows right now. Diseases that were death sentences a 100 years ago are now treatable with a single pill.

Starvation due to poverty in the U.S. is practically eliminated. Malnutrition isn't, but the definition has now changed.