Observation on ? Trying to Bogart What Being an American and Patriotism are...

Options
R0mp
R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
What's American, what being patriotic is, what being American and patriotic looks feels and sounds like, is being hijacked by folks who have their flag avatars and decals plastered everywhere, right next to their MAGA stickers and "don't tread on me" rattlesnake flags. Now the flags, decals, etc. are fine. It's these ? ' attitudes that are full of ? ; these types more often than not genuinely believe we don't even belong here in the first place, that we seriously contributed nothing in the way of this country's creation and success, that we should be grateful our ancestors were shipped over here so that we could have the privilege of living in the greatest country on Earth, and that we should just shut the ? up about any issues we may have.

They talk about not disrespecting those who fought for our freedoms and liberties without realizing blacks have fought and died in every war on this soil, wars before the U.S.A itself was even formed. These types completely gloss over this country's attempts to strip deprive prevent limit restrict suppress black Americans, including those of who still ? served, of all the things the flag is supposed to represent. Then these types have the ? gall to act like black Americans are anti-American, subversive troublemakers and unpatriotic traitors for calling out their country for not upholding the ideals it purports to possess.

Don't let these ? hog the narrative on what being an American or a patriot is.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the meaning never changes.

its a select demographic that want it both ways.

they want to be the only ones who can protest something and go against something but its all in the name a patriotism. no matter what they do.

none of them are saying ? about trumps dealings but call nfl players unpatriotic.
    the president can deal with our mortal enemy because hes white and its ok.
    but a black wide receiver cant take a knee because cops are unfairly treating black people.

oh wait...they want you to protest the way they want you to protest. then it can be acceptable.

bottom line is white people only see patriotism from a white view. you are with them if you protect white privilege...but against them for wanting to be equal. which in itself screams white privilege.

they feel they built the country, and economy with no help from blacks and so blacks will never be seens as equal or patriots even if you die for this country. ? you coming back from Vietnam thinking you would get treated different. you still a ? .

yet being called a ? for fighting to keep white privilege alive, you will still be unpatriotic for wanting to be equal.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks have to accept and voice that our America is not their America. We have our own history of hero's, shero's and ancestors. We shouldn't accept anyone's idea of what our Black American history and experience should or shouldn't be.

As an example. I have read several times that the NFL players taking a knee is disrespectful to the flag and our ancestors. This is true if you accept white america's version of our history. If you reject white america's ? lies, Black players protesting is 100% in honor of our BLACK ancestors. From Curt Flood, to Muhammed Ali Black Athletes have fought for inequality and justice.

As difficult as it may seem Blacks have to reject white thinking that denies Blacks the freedom to express themselves as individuals who have contributed more then any other ethnic group in America to it's success.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Next time tell em this and don't explain: "Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious!" Oscar Wilde. Them CACS will know. Watch their face.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being American means you're an American citizen. That's about it. All these people trying to apply these huge generalizations to what American is are either trying to manipulate people or haven't been outside of their hometown. Anyone whose traveled even a few hours away from where they grew up knows how different people in this country can be.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m a patriot. Despite of the history my ancestors and the current state of affairs, I love this country. I dream of making Africa as great as America. I was born here. I know my blessings being from here. I am somewhat knowledgeable on why this country is great. In a perfect world, American foundation is what the world needed. Our basic rights, economics and symbolism are impervious when used properly and equally. As much as I can complain about the “system”, I can’t because it is the same system that allowed a ? up, addict like myself to still be able to carve out my own little piece. As many obstacles that I face as a black man in America, I still am aware that there are as many opportunities simply because I am an American. Racial issues aside, this is a great country.

The downside of that is the ignorance of others that don’t see what I see and what millions of immigrants see when they come here to forge something meaningful for themselves and their families. Nothing is perfect and traditional bigotry is a side effect of living here.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And one more thing...the last thing white America truly wants is for the poc to act like real patriots. The last time that happened, America was founded.

They don’t really want mfs to embrace America. That spirit is a strong one. Lol
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Patriotism from the same people that wavy the flag of the enemy of the union? These people don't give a ? about America, they'll turn on the US if it furthers their white supremacist agenda.
  • R0mp
    edited November 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Patriotism from the same people that wavy the flag of the enemy of the union? These people don't give a ? about America, they'll turn on the US if it furthers their white supremacist agenda.

Anything those types see as "tyrannical and oppressive" to them they are willing to(and have attempted to) attack; that includes the American government, law enforcement officials, the American president, the military, basically all the areas/positions they claim are sacrosanct when they feel others are disrespecting them.

The ? hypocrisy...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Being American means you're an American citizen. That's about it. All these people trying to apply these huge generalizations to what American is are either trying to manipulate people or haven't been outside of their hometown. Anyone whose traveled even a few hours away from where they grew up knows how different people in this country can be.

funny you say this.
    cuz most white people will say they have such an such and my mother is from such an such an im a 1/4 such an such.

but they american

but i want to be equal....my citizenship should be revoked...like my people immigrated here by choice
  • R0mp
    Options

funny you say this.
    cuz most white people will say they have such an such and my mother is from such an such an im a 1/4 such an such.

but they american

but i want to be equal....my citizenship should be revoked...like my people immigrated here by choice

Again...
    R0mp wrote: »
    The ? hypocrisy...