Fresh Produce Beat Battle 3: Young-Ice v. Kang_Solomon_Grundy (Grundy Wins)

Options
2»

Comments

• The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Damn, dope dope dope beats beats beats Grundy.

Word.
  • raw-material_ahh
    raw-material_ahh Members Posts: 555
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy - "Grundy's Jazz Band" - The piano is good. And I'm not sure what other sound that is, an electric piano or some kind of bell, but I dig it. The bass was right on. I love the break with the horn. I almost thought it was some sort of an electric guitar lol. The snare was just okay to me. Not sure if I would have went with that choice. I love the perc that comes in every so often. It was perfect to end with a fade out but I didn't like the long intro.
    Young Ice - "It Was All A Dream" - Very nice piano. Drums seem a bit weak. They aren't mixing for me. I love the patterns though, even your melody's pattern. I like the hat that comes in sometimes but it sounds too much like your snare.

Vote - Kang_Solomon_Grundy

His beat mixed better and felt more complete.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Grundys jazz band got my laptop speakers beatin with that kick...it was a cool beat, real mellow, the taps i coulda did without so often, still a good beat..nice ? and bridge to top it off...niceness Grundy.

Ice, your beat was mellow too, like the piano, sound really lounge-like, the only thing that bothered was the cadence a bit, might make a good song pending the artist's direction with it. simple joint, im not gonna complain about it, becuz im not expecting anything too much. so decent track bud.

Round 1: Grundy

Grundy your remix, ? butta..wish i could rap, but the joint fit the acapella perfectly. the only thing i wouldve advised is a more agressive sample..but the joint u have is nice nonetheless, its just Mos was kinda agressive, i wouldve TRIED to match it, but ur ? is ill tho brutha.

Ice, your remix sounded very serious, thats a plus, again, real simple, but like i said before im not expectin some outrageous ass breakdown, one thing i would work on is workin with more drums, try lookin up some breaks and takin kicks, snares and hats from those and rearrange them, but other than that the beat is ok at best, doesnt really compete with Grundy's but still a good beat.

Round 2: Grundy

Grundy, It woulda been dope to hear the sample they had to flip because it sounds like Grundy did some nice chops but my computer was fuckn up so i couldnt, didnt care for the drums but then again im listening on laptop speakers. but as far as the chops, i give a thumbs up bro. beat itself is still good tho. sounds like u tried to disconfigure the joint, i feel you tho, that way people cant really tell, nice way to show off in the final round tho, makin it count, i dig. im sure you did the sample justice,

Ice, my man, i think the more and more you make beats you will be ill, the one thing that derails me with your joints is the drums for some reason. but i do love the fact that its sounds completely different from grundy's which is a plus to me, again one thing i would work on is the drums, and if your gonna continue to go the simple route like i do, try making the beat shorter, ? might still say its repetitive, but it wont be too much of the same thing for so long. and i think with that u could work on chops and switch ups, drops, and things of that nature.

Round 3: Grundy

Disclaimer: Just so yall dudes know, I listen and vote as a fan, because i know im not the best producer here or anywhere for that matter, so of course my votes are a matter of opinion. much love to both....
  • jellybean84
    jellybean84 Confirm Email Posts: 1,560
    edited September 2010
    Options
    YOUNG ICEEEEEE

Yo like Ive had writers block for 2 weeks now and I have tons of poetry I am ready to spill out right now becuase of that beat. ? sick! Ima listen to it later while I smoke and write...Chea!
  • Selassie_I
    Selassie_I Members Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Options
    taking in the sounds, judging'll come soon...
  • Harlem Shake
    Harlem Shake Members Posts: 671
    edited September 2010
    Options
    1st set of beats........

I'm not that knowledgeable about beats or anything....... I like Grundy's and all but two problems I'm seeing with.......... that bass/kick whatever that ? is called needs to go or at least be lowered............ the song is supposed to chill you out, the bass belongs in a Lil Jon song not a jazz rap song.......... no ATL today ? lol.........

That horn like 1:30 seconds in sounds.......... fake, it doesn't sound like a real instrument......... sounds like it would sound like the little horn if you played it on a midi keyboard.......... clear that up and you have something........ that thumping ? overpowers the rest of the song and it sounds off balance at times..........

On to the next beat..........

Not that my opinion would matter much though but those are huge weaknesses imo........

Young-Ice beat was basic, get rid of that Biggie Smalls vocal......... yuck....... it doesn't belong anywhere in that song............ and you need some real sounding drums to make this sample complete........ they feel kinda flat....... but I think I like yours just a bit better because it wasn't trying to do too much like Grundy's......... when he threw them cymbals in there near the end I was like wth is this? Yours also fits the theme better, so first round is Young-Ice imo........ but to be fair Grundy would've had this one had it not been for that horn and that damn kick....... and them damn cymbals at the end............ I see more potential in his beat though........
  • Harlem Shake
    edited September 2010
    Options
    2nd Set

Damn this going to be harder to judge........... personally I like Kang Solomon's better because he has the better beat.......... buuuttt........ his wasn't without weaknesses...... your drums didn't sound like they line up with the vocals that well(when he started doing them long sentences you didn't put the silences/breaks in the right place imo just my opinion though feel free to disagree)...... when I listened to the acapella and tapped out a beat pattern Young-Ice's matched up better than yours........... that was his strong point but regardless Young Ice's is too basic but not "just basic enough"(a beat that doesn't try to do too much ? is good esp. with ? like Mos Def or Talib).......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPcOC4-PDY - The its a basic beat with only a horn repeating example of just basic enough......... Young Ice needs a better sounding synth(if that's what I was hearing)....... then it would've been on the same level as Kang Solomons if not better...........

EDIT: Both beats are hot as hell though..........
  • Harlem Shake
    edited September 2010
    Options
    3rd Set

*Cracks Knuckles*
    Grundy got this one in the bag.........

Grundy your last beat was phenomenal man but that isn't hiphop lol, your calling might be in some other genre like Trance or Trip Hop......... real talk.......... no complaints, your drums sound on point and if I didn't know the sample I wouldn't have been able to hear it in your song....... flipped it real nice..... and I listen the song yall used regularly(only about a 1/3 of what I listen to is even hiphop lol).............

Young-Ice, the song sounds jumbled, remove the piano so it sounds less cluttered........ don't add stuff just to hide the samples in your music, add ? when it makes your music sound better......... I understand the direction you were trying to go with this song, yet at the same time I don't..............

Maybe this will give you an example of how to use rock in hiphop......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7xTLvS8Mk Not saying imitate it.......... for reference the samples 2Live used.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwON6Y1d1xA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p6QtMn5OzY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgTgbV8bZiw - Fav song off of Van Halen's first album because of the riff........
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's votes/feedback/comments/criticisms; this is the type of participation we need to build the room up and keep it going
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    INteresting Competition... will post a reveiw shortly..................................................................................................................................
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Grundy...

for some reason I cant hear or download the last track. U got another link for it?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    money mob wrote: »
    Grundy...

for some reason I cant hear or download the last track. U got another link for it?

try this divshare......
    http://www.divshare.com/download/12759056-b69
  • JCJordan
    JCJordan Members Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Options
    young-ice wrote: »
    you're still cryin cause i worked you in that battle?

buuurnnnned!
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    From the looks of it, Grundy wins even though the voting was kind of ? up in the end.

Oh and no Ice, you didn't lose 'cause of your name or anything like that. This battle was one of the most difficult to judge 'cause of how ? strong you came back. Your drums are what killed you the most to be honest. Them ? was The Penguin when the rest of the beats was Lex Luthor.
  • Tha Killa
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    for bein such a nice guy killer, i got you this gift.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Bwahahaha. I know you was bein' sarcastic you young ? . Haha. I had to clarify for 2012 before he started takin' that ? serious. Did you ever battle Raw-Material or are you runnin' scared b?
  • Tha Killa
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    i lost interest in it. i did that one battle cause 2012 was talkin ? .

I'll write eventually, i just gotta be motivated.

Smh. Should I give you some ammo regarding Raw? Dude's been dying to try to annihilate you for weeks now. Hahaha. By waiting this long you're only adding fuel to the fire. How you been tho ol' chap?

Oh and I'm SOOOO gonna use your sig the next time I have to debate a ? about why male hoeishness is much much better than hoe hoeishness.