Jaden Smith: “Toxic Masculinity” & “misogyny is holding hip-hop back and not pushing it forward”…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/8046267/jaden-smith-debut-album-syre-interview
SYRE is far more than just an introspective work, as the album openly explores current hot topics in the U.S.: Jaden addresses police brutality during his live shows, speaks to drug abuse on his hard-hitting track "Hope" and all the while has made it his mission to avoid a path of toxic masculinity and misogyny in the hip-hop world. “Everybody tries to rap the same and talk the same way and be misogynistic in the same way -- it's annoying,” Smith relates. "My mom taught me different values. And my sister teaches me different things every day. My sister and my girlfriend and my mom… all of these women in my life show me what it's like to be a woman and how much I don't understand, and how hard it can be sometimes… the misogyny in rap music right now, [is] degrading and it's hurtful and it's not pushing the art forward.”

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop's been around for 30+ years.

Its always been misogynistic since day 1.

In fact, life has been misogynistic since the biblical days.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Question: misogyny literally means the HATRED of women, so why do these muthafuckas call it that when a lot the ? they consider misogynistic is ? that we LOVE about ? ............?

Hope yall caught what I did did there. Lol
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This lil ? wear dresses. Can't take nothing he says seriously
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    bigbird_1 wrote: »

I ? with some of Jaden's music but this ? is too true. You can't be a poster child for effeminization then addressing misogyny. That ? 's like a conflict of interest. He throwing ? under the bus twice.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    escoe wrote: »
    58erl7uw7ccu.jpg

You foul...hahahaha. funniest ? I seen all week
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    Lil homie got talent and I think can make some really good music in the future. Dude just needs musical guidance to help him along IMO. As for this, the way hip hop treats women has not been good, however it has never held the genre from moving forward bc our society shares alot of the same views on women. Women get paid less, are most likely to be disrespected by employees and seen as less than. Thats the truth about how women are viewed in society, is not right. That being said, Hip hop is a reflection of society, not vice versa. This is what alot of people that try to blame rap for societal issues seem to not understand. Hip hop was not stopping women from voting back in the day or making them be strictly housewifes. The bible and religion got more to do w how women are seen than rap imo.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    That sounds like some ? he'd say so I'm not surprised.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jaden is right
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CHERRY-FACED CHUMP....
    HE'S SOOOOO FAKE DEEP :-1:
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Bottom line, every man wants a girl with a pretty face, big ? , a fat ass and a flat stomach.

If that's being misogynistic so be it.

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Bottom line, every man wants a girl with a pretty face, big ? , a fat ass and a flat stomach.

Right... And if I shout "? these fat hoes" while still ? em, would that make me a misophilagynist? Hmm...
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that might be your bottom line but it aint mine. what i want is a girl that is smart, witty, self confident, secure in herself, loyal, not cool with slutty ass chicks, smart with money, etc

you can get a big butt and a smile anywhere, didn't you learn from BBD grandpa?
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those the girls you were with when you blinked and kicked a man when he was down?
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You didn't answer the question. If the girl looks like that but they are smart, witty and have self confidence are you going to wife her?
  • natural born sinners
    Options

that might be your bottom line but it aint mine. what i want is a girl that is smart, witty, self confident, secure in herself, loyal, not cool with slutty ass chicks, smart with money, etc

you can get a big butt and a smile anywhere, didn't you learn from BBD grandpa?

And if the girl you just described looks like this are you going to wife her?

a792b090079264abf062da3492753fd3--grunge-girl-ugly-girl.jpg

or this?

f65a98e9b2c82ebd3d31166d6f876189--ugly-photos-photos-of.jpg

Hahaha...yoooooo!!! Hahaha. You ain't have to do that........but you did n it was ? hilarious!
  • OnnaThursday
    OnnaThursday Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Options
    I dont ? with the phrase "Toxic Masculinity." That's one of those new buzz phrases they try and throw around when they're pushing an agenda. Also so misogyny? has this dude seen Fresh Prince of Bel-air before?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbird_1 wrote: »

I ? with some of Jaden's music but this ? is too true. You can't be a poster child for effeminization then addressing misogyny. That ? 's like a conflict of interest. He throwing ? under the bus twice.

Thats deep
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only thing hold hiphop back is us not controlling it. all this dudes wearing dresses and what not isn't needed in life