So......Anyone in here in IT???

Options

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Options
    iiiight so can yall tell me exactly what i need to know to get to where yall are??

i see mega peeps in here talking about starting with help desk .... but what else??
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Unix... seriously, ? Microsoft products and go straight to Solaris and Linux. I had gigs that were hiring for both Windows admins and Unix admins. I got in as a Unix admin and was paid $38/hr while the Windows cats go $27/hr to do the exact same ? .

Knowing both Windows and Unix will also open more doors.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    iiiight so can yall tell me exactly what i need to know to get to where yall are??

i see mega peeps in here talking about starting with help desk .... but what else??

get in those books fam. start with a A+ cert, to get the basics down. then read up on which route you want to go from there...Microsoft route (server administration and ? ) or you can look at Cisco ? (networking, cabling..routing ...etc) Or unix and all that other ? . whatever interests you
  • southern_mr.337
    southern_mr.337 Members Posts: 87
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Man I just took my Sec+ a couple days ago. Glad I read that damn book end to end. Got a 805 first cert. ? was happy as ? lol, now I got this Net+ in my hands. Back on the grind.

Rell, major pain is right. You gotta have that Sec+ as your basic foundation. Government jobs won't even accept you now unless you got a homie hookup and that's pushin it. I don't know how corporate IT operate but I'm pretty sure there are guidelines for them also.

Uptown you could probably start in systems if you prove yourself during your tech interview. Usually just some scenario type questions and practical knowledge. For now man get those basic certs. Each one has their own path. One other thing to note is that CompTIA A+, N+, S+ are lifetime certs until Jan 2011 then you have to re-cert everything 3yrs. These other guys can explain more to you in regards to what track to take.
  • KevinArthur
    KevinArthur Members Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Options
    IS/ IT is one of the fastest growing jobs in the nation! 80k avg start out.
  • explicitx
    explicitx Members Posts: 88
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Whats the better field to get into, Computer Networking and Technology or Information Technology? Or is it all the same ? ? Just wondering because I was planning on going to college for an AAS in Computer Networking and Technology but now after reading this thread, Im wondering if IT is the more valuable field?
  • southern_mr.337
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Information Technology is the better degree to go with. It will cover everything IT. My major is Information Technology Management B.S.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Hopefully I have my Bach Degree in Computer Information Systems by next semester!
  • King Erauno
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Man I just took my Sec+ a couple days ago. Glad I read that damn book end to end. Got a 805 first cert. ? was happy as ? lol, now I got this Net+ in my hands. Back on the grind.

Rell, major pain is right. You gotta have that Sec+ as your basic foundation. Government jobs won't even accept you now unless you got a homie hookup and that's pushin it. I don't know how corporate IT operate but I'm pretty sure there are guidelines for them also.

Uptown you could probably start in systems if you prove yourself during your tech interview. Usually just some scenario type questions and practical knowledge. For now man get those basic certs. Each one has their own path. One other thing to note is that CompTIA A+, N+, S+ are lifetime certs until Jan 2011 then you have to re-cert everything 3yrs. These other guys can explain more to you in regards to what track to take.

good lookin out...i was planning on taking all 3 next couple of months and was dreading having to take them again in 3 years...i thought that ? had already started...i still got time
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    good lookin out...i was planning on taking all 3 next couple of months and was dreading having to take them again in 3 years...i thought that ? had already started...i still got time

A+ is worthless unless you are looking for a desktop support role somewhere.

N+ should be a gateway for certs from Cisco or Juniper etc. Once you get those N+ wont matter.

S+ is good, but will only go so far and should be considered a gateway for more advanced certs as well.

You wont find many opportunities out there with any of these as requirements except the A+.
  • southern_mr.337
    edited September 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    A+ is worthless unless you are looking for a desktop support role somewhere.

N+ should be a gateway for certs from Cisco or Juniper etc. Once you get those N+ wont matter.

S+ is good, but will only go so far and should be considered a gateway for more advanced certs as well.

You wont find many opportunities out there with any of these as requirements except the A+.

It's really about who you work for. Security+ is enough for an IA position in some places.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Is a 4 year degree better than certification? Do do I need certs also? My major is Inforamtion Assurance.

There are three concentrations I can choose from
    Applied IA
    IA Management
    and
    IA Encyption (definately more math required)

Perhaps when I improve my math skills I'll consider Computer Science
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    [QUOTE=Ioniz3dSPIRITZ;1356442]Is a 4 year degree better than certification? Do do I need certs also? My major is Inforamtion Assurance.

There are three concentrations I can choose from
    Applied IA
    IA Management
    and
    IA Encyption (definately more math required)

Perhaps when I improve my math skills I'll consider Computer Science[/QUOTE]

Not really. A degree can open some doors, sure. Certifications typically mean you know your ? , and that's what a lot of managers care about more than anything else.

I had an EE come in here fresh out of college, he got assigned to a team I was on and we were going to be programming more than anything. When we started talking about writing sockets, kernel interfaces and ? dude's eyes got big like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. He was like "ummm... I'm a double E... I don't know anything about programming!!!", to which we replied that we needed to write drivers for an interface that we were also designing... even that got him worried because he was pretty basic with his EE skills.. .? even I was more experienced that he was and I hadn't touched circuit design since I was in high school.

? was a giant SMH moment for everyone.

a degree says you went to class and studied to pass tests.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Not really. A degree can open some doors, sure. Certifications typically mean you know your ? , and that's what a lot of managers care about more than anything else.

I had an EE come in here fresh out of college, he got assigned to a team I was on and we were going to be programming more than anything. When we started talking about writing sockets, kernel interfaces and ? dude's eyes got big like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. He was like "ummm... I'm a double E... I don't know anything about programming!!!", to which we replied that we needed to write drivers for an interface that we were also designing... even that got him worried because he was pretty basic with his EE skills.. .? even I was more experienced that he was and I hadn't touched circuit design since I was in high school.

? was a giant SMH moment for everyone.

a degree says you went to class and studied to pass tests.

Perhaps I'll receive certification after my degree. How did you go about getting certified? Were you always computer savvy?
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Perhaps I'll receive certification after my degree. How did you go about getting certified? Were you always computer savvy?

A degree shows you have the ability to learn something.

A certification (should) show you have mastered a certain level of knowledge and can apply it.

2 very different things when it comes to employment.

The easiest answer is going to be have both.

Not having a degree but a certification, will close a few doors for you. As in the case if you want to pursue management. Most manager positions will require a Bachelor's at minimum.

As far as getting certified, well it depends on what exactly you are looking for. There are TONS of certifications for IT. You will usually go to the vendor specifically for their certification. Like Microsoft, IBM, or Cisco.
  • traestar
    edited October 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    A degree shows you have the ability to learn something.

A certification (should) show you have mastered a certain level of knowledge and can apply it.

2 very different things when it comes to employment.

The easiest answer is going to be have both.

Not having a degree but a certification, will close a few doors for you. As in the case if you want to pursue management. Most manager positions will require a Bachelor's at minimum.

As far as getting certified, well it depends on what exactly you are looking for. There are TONS of certifications for IT. You will usually go to the vendor specifically for their certification. Like Microsoft, IBM, or Cisco.

I like this...it makes sense about alot of different jobs available up here
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Grabbing knowledge out of this thread. Good look!
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    imma go grab a networking for dummies book tomorrow. gotta start somewhere lol

i graduate spring '12, hopefully by then i'll have some kind of cert also and be able to land a decent job. ? i'm so behind lol. like the dude said above me about college, i been studyin to pass tests, i aint done any outside reading or experimentin. time to grow the fck up tho
  • King Erauno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    damn....MODS merge this thread with the other IT thread.

NOW
  • pu$ha-d
    pu$ha-d Members Posts: 78
    edited August 2011
    Options
    My home boy is, the company he works for gives him cell phones, pays the bill, reimburses him for gas he uses while he's working. This ? adds miles so he can get more money and they dont even question it. Smh, I needa job like dat.
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    man I feel like I'm getting killed with those tech interviews w/ the questions about certain program languages.

I finally finished my second interview with the company AppLabs for an Entry Level Quality Assurance Tester position. Although I did answer one of the questions I feel the pressure of thinking I did poorly on the tech questions. I just had a phone interview two weeks before for an Assistant Consultant position at Model N and this is when I had NO IDEA about the types of questions they were going to ask. The same type of Java questions, but just different questions to see how much I know, he automatically said "I feel that you are not a good fit for the position". That really got me feeling bad too, and I feel that this interview may of been alittle similar even though I studied more for this one. I understand they need to know your knowledge of different languages, it just hurts if you think you got a position and one part of the interview automatically disqualifies you.
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    At least I got the position as a Computer Scientist!! Tech interviews are going to be my main problem moving forward!
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    helpdesk ? post.........

Shout out to the "I hate my damn life" gang

I'm a janitor at an IT company, does that count?
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    imma go grab a networking for dummies book tomorrow. gotta start somewhere lol

i graduate spring '12, hopefully by then i'll have some kind of cert also and be able to land a decent job. ? i'm so behind lol. like the dude said above me about college, i been studyin to pass tests, i aint done any outside reading or experimentin. time to grow the fck up tho

year and 3 months ago post. since then i dropped outta school and landed a mean IT gig. the new gig has a webbased training system that i can take free training courses online for damn near anything from Microsoft Office products to Java programming to CompTIA certs

? school
  • traestar
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    At least I got the position as a Computer Scientist!! Tech interviews are going to be my main problem moving forward!

7 month later post... I'm still working as a Computer Scientist, however thats just the title. I really do Data Analysis. I work as a contractor for the FAA and after all of these months, I'm just not feeling it! As I'm trying to build my career and get in positions in which I feel can help develop my technical skills, this job has really failed to do that. I've talked to people and they're saying "stay in, you can build your career there" and "don't leave too early" in which I see where they're coming from but I just think this job is more of a settle down type of job. I'm not ready to settle, I want to stay hungry and work on these certs and find the best fit for me, and use my degree the best way I can.