Top 25 PS3 Games

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in IllGaming
We rank the best games of Sony's console.

What's up, everyone? It's time to blow the dust off a classic. Of course, I'm talking about the list of the top 25 PlayStation 3 games. We've taken the previous lists, torn them up, and buried them at sea. This time around, we've got a brand new crew voting on what the greatest games on the platform are, and we think you'll be pleasantly surprised… or hate our guts.

The Selection Comittee

Greg: I can still remember when I refused to buy a PlayStation 3. It sounds crazy now as it's my console of choice, houses all my digital photos and music, and is on each and every day, but there was a time when the system cost way too much and didn't have a lot of great games. Those days are done. I've been covering the system for 3.5 years now, and I've watched it blossom into a machine that truly has something for everyone. There are blockbusters like Uncharted, artistic experiments like Flower, and well-done party games like Buzz!. The PS3 is dependable, jam-packed with awesome games, and something I couldn't imagine not sitting down to use every night – whether it's chatting with friends, playing NCAA Football, or watching a movie. When I wasn't looking, Sony's dream of the PS3 becoming the entertainment hub of the home came true in my living room.

Clements: Recently, I've been trying to branch out into as many systems as possible, but I will always identity myself as a "PlayStation guy." I was a PSone kid back in the day and I followed the brand all through the PlayStation 2 era and right up into the PS3 and PSP. My sincere investment in the PlayStation family started with Final Fantasy VII and I never looked back -- even when the Xbox nuts rubbed Halo all over my face. Today, my PS3 library dwarfs my other game collections and contains some of the best titles this generation. I'm more than happy to help Greg and Co. select the best of the best for Sony's console. Sony for life, ya' hear?

Colin: It's true that when I was growing up in the mid and late 1980s and into the 1990s, I was a bona fide Nintendo fanboy. And deep down within me, I'm not sure that will ever go away. But that fandom has certainly been eclipsed over the last fifteen years by the greatness that is PlayStation. PSX, PS2 and now PS3 have proven to be the finest systems of their respective generation, and PlayStation 3 has especially cemented itself in my life as my go-to gaming console. Its model of free online gaming is novel, it – by far – has the highest quantity of quality exclusives, and hell, it's a Blu-ray player to boot! Bow down before PlayStation 3. You cannot resist it.

Comments

• joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    25: Modnation Racers

2gy82vl.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Clements: The "Play, Create, Share" mentality that was first established with LittleBigPlanet returned in full force when developer United Front Games tackled an ambitious project known as ModNation Racers. This addictive kart racer combined the recognizable racing formula gamers have known since Mario Kart and an incredible suite of creation tools, making it one of the most fun, "family friendly" multiplayer games on the PlayStation 3. ModNation Racers boasts an extensive campaign with a tremendous number of unlockables, along with plenty of modes that enable gamers around the world to create their own tracks, karts and mods (characters). With local and online multiplayer support, ModNation racers is a great game for groups and the PlayStation community has warmly embraced it.

Favorite Memory
    Greg: I reviewed ModNation Racers, and I still took the game's release day off to play it. That's how good it is and how excited I was about the awesome community creations. That first day of eating Chinese food, playing hooky and racing with a bunch of people as excited as I was – that's something I'll never forget.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    24: MLB 10: The Show

jiml9s.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Greg: For a few years now, The Show franchise has been bringing gamers the best looking and most robust baseball game on the market – and MLB 10: The Show was no different. The catcher hurls his mask after the pitcher gives up a homerun, player's faces are right on, and it all runs like a dream. The sound nails the experience and even lets you record and add your own taunts. In short, this is as close as you're going to get to having a ballgame in your living room

Favorite Memory
    Hil: Maybe I'm weird about this, but I tend to be more excited about the GM side of things than actually playing the games. I mean, MLB 10 has great gameplay, but my favorite memory is spending a few hours making trades and signing free agents to build the Oakland Athletics into a true contender. The proof of my skills comes down to how they fair on the field, especially for games I sim, when it's not longer my playing skills being measured, but my team-building prowess.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    23: Ratchet and Clank Future: A ? in Time

2zdtzy9.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Clements: The Ratchet and Clank franchise has been a member of the PlayStation family for years, and PS3 owners were eager to see the series hit the PlayStation 3 with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction in 2007. Last year, A ? in Time was released and demonstrated just how far developer Insomniac Games has come. ? in Time once again featured an irresistible mix of platforming, gunplay, charming humor and lovable characters, but it also added some very smart puzzles that made the Clank sections of ? in Time even more enjoyable. But nothing beats the fantastic weapon leveling system that makes blowing stuff up a real treat.

Favorite Memory
    Greg: My moment with Ratchet and Clank Future: A ? in Time came long before I got the final version of the game. It was some Sony event and the game was there to be previewed. I enjoyed the first Ratchet and Clank Future, but I remembered getting bored with it. When I got to try Clank's time-bending puzzles, I saw what would get me into this game.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    22: Super Stardust HD

fefhnb.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Colin: When Finnish developer Housemarque released Super Stardust HD in 2007, it couldn't have possibly known the powerhouse the game would become. The Stardust franchise thrived on the Amiga in the early and mid-1990s, but faded into obscurity thereafter. Super Stardust HD itself is actually an upgrade to the 1994 release Super Stardust, and takes full advantage of the franchise's frantic shooter gameplay, a feature that's at the heart of what makes Super Stardust HD so good. Super Stardust HD is a decidedly ? title, but its appeal is also remarkably broad. Its difficult but rewarding gameplay is the stuff of PlayStation legend.

Favorite Memory
    Clements: When I first played Super Stardust HD, I wasn't even an editor here at IGN. In fact, I was a new PS3 owner who just bought his first HD television. When that stunning game first came up on my display and I was suddenly showered with more particle effects than is probably healthy for one person, I was instantly in love. I made it my mission to earn a respectable high score in Stardust and I've loved every minute of it.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    all exclusives so far, like how a list suppose to be
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    22: Super Stardust HD

2qc2zpf.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Greg: The argument over whether games are or aren't art isn't going to be solved any time soon, but when people on the "Oh, yes they are!" side of the fight get going, it's likely that Flower comes up in that conversation. A beautiful PlayStation Network download, Flower is relaxing and elegant while engaging the player. Use the Sixaxis functions of your controller, and you become wind itself. Wash over the black and white plains, and bring color to the flowers in them. As you play, your work is evident in the life blossoming around you.

Favorite Memory
    Clements: I was immediately moved by the simple purity of Flower. Within minutes of starting the first level, the pristine visuals and ethereal sound design brought tears to my eyes. Watching the many flower petals excitedly waltz through the air was a breathtaking sight and one that I won't soon forget.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uncharted 2 will be #1

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be # 2

? of War 3 will be top 5

Heavy Rain will be top 10
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Rain should honestly break the top 5
  • vagrant-718
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uncharted 2 will be #1

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be # 2

? of War 3 will be top 5

Heavy Rain will be top 10

? of war 3 is overrated
  • vagrant-718
    edited August 2010
    Options
    First 5 games are butt cheeks.

do u even like anything on ps3?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    karl is just trying to be the 360s version of infamous but hes just coming off like a bad trolling version of Big C(oon)
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Metal gear should be number 1 and I agree GOW is overrated because of its graphics. Its great but it shouldn't be rated over a 9/10
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Metal gear should be number 1 and I agree GOW is overrated because of its graphics. Its great but it shouldn't be rated over a 9/10

GOW3 is a great game. I wouldn't say it is overrated, maybe because I didn't expect it to be as big as some other people didn't. I knew exactly what to expect from it. It was the end of a story, so I was expecting it to play just like the previous two with better graphics, which is exactly what we got. I thik it would most likely be in the top 15.
  • vagrant-718
    edited August 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    GOW3 is a great game. I wouldn't say it is overrated, maybe because I didn't expect it to be as big as some other people didn't. I knew exactly what to expect from it. It was the end of a story, so I was expecting it to play just like the previous two with better graphics, which is exactly what we got. I thik it would most likely be in the top 15.

GOW3 felt like a step down from GOW2 to me. The Zeus fight in GOW2>GOW3
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    GOW3 felt like a step down from GOW2 to me. The Zeus fight in GOW2>GOW3

GOW2 was one of the best games I've ever played. It would be hard to really match that.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Resistance 1
    Resistance 2
    Uncharted 2
    Killzone 2
    MGS 4
    HeavyRain is what i got..

Beat GOW3 that ? was sick
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Resistance 1
    Resistance 2
    Uncharted 2
    Killzone 2
    MGS 4
    HeavyRain is what i got..

Beat GOW3 that ? was sick

Get R2 out of the top 5 - it was a big let down from R1 (SP wise)
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Get R2 out of the top 5 - it was a big let down from R1 (SP wise)

Hell no it wasnt.. but it was multiwise.. they Haloized it.. i loved r1 multi better but both sp were great and i didnt rank it i was just sayin these are some of the best games.. and its in the top 25 imo
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    GOW3 is dope as hell but I only played it for like 2 weeks, it needed something to add replay value
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Resistance 1 was THE game to have for a really long time after launch. Here's my list.

1. Resistance 1
    2. MGS4
    3. R&C
    could care less about the rest. I beat GOW:3 and have erased it from memory. ? was beautiful but disappointing. Embarrassing for the series in my opinion.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    GOW3 first 20 min is the best part of the game lol, ? is epic

It kinda ran outta steam towards the end
  • vagrant-718
    edited August 2010
    Options
    GOW3 first 20 min is the best part of the game lol, ? is epic

It kinda ran outta steam towards the end

Yeah after that it got kinda boring

There wasnt much variation in the weapons, all you really needed was the chaos blades and the fist gauntlets
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah after that it got kinda boring

There wasnt much variation in the weapons, all you really needed was the chaos blades and the fist gauntlets

Pretty much the only weapons I used.
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    GOW was overrated. I couldnt wait for that ? to drop...then i was so disappointed
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    20: Resistance: Fall of Man

resistance_1_1283279271.jpg

Why It Was Selected

Clements: The original Resistance was a great opportunity for the talented folks at Insomniac Games to move into darker, more mature territory. Fall of Man was one of the best launch games for the PlayStation 3, as it presented gamers with a thrilling single-player campaign and boasted impressive multiplayer support. Insomniac was able to bring its weapon-crafting expertise to the Resistance universe by making some very cool guns that felt different from first-person shooter classics like "generic pistol" and "generic rifle." With weapons that could shoot through walls, track enemy movement and slow down time, hero Nathan Hale was well equipped to tackle the menacing Chimera threat. Even today, Resistance: Fall of Man is a blast to play.

Favorite Memory
    Colin: Resistance was the first game I ever saw running on a PS3, and it was then that I understood the merits of the expensive console. Sure, I was in college-induced poverty at the time, scraping by on my meager IGN freelance earnings and wholly unable to invest $600 in a new console, but I dreamed about PS3s after that fateful first encounter until I finally got my hands on one of my own.