Is Tampa Bay the worst sports city?

Options
txboi_09
txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
So I am watching sportcenter yesterday and they show highlights of the Tampa Bay Rays defeating the Bluejays or something like that. They zoom and it shows how the team with the best record in baseball who was in the World series two years ago is pulling WNBA numbers. That ? is just unacceptable how can you not support a team like The Rays, the underdog of that division without that crazy ass payroll that the Yanks and Bosox both have. Yet nobody shows up to the games, I wont blame Crawford or any of those players for leaving when their contracts are up.

Comments

• headrek1
    headrek1 Members Posts: 121
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah I always wondered that myself, you see footage of there stands and there may be 5,000 people in attendance. Not sure how many their park can hold, but let's say it's 20,000, to only get one fourth of your park filled and you're in the thick of the penant race sucks. But that's why they don't up their payroll, ? I wouldn't either, if the fans aren't going to come anyway what's the purpose of going after big name talent?

Watch as soon as the better players leave, people down there are gonna start crying to high heaven that they aren't willing to spend, or maybe not since they don't seem to care about baseball down there.
  • txboi_09
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Exactly as soon as the Yanks sign Crawford this summer, their gonna be complaining about how its not fair that they cant compete with the Yanks. Well dam if people supported the team they would actually have money to spend.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tampa is worst then Cleveland?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    nah probably jacksonville
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Atlanta isn't exactly known for their fans either
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    nah probably jacksonville

Probably this.
  • BootyButterPi
    BootyButterPi Members Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    yup. its tampa.
  • txboi_09
    edited August 2010
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    Probably this.

But the Jaguars have sucked though they haven't been to the Superbowl or anything like that. What is going with Tampa would be the equivalent of The Jaguars being in the Cowboys division and actually kicking their ass and having the best record in the league. Even Jaguar fans would show up to that.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    Atlanta isn't exactly known for their fans either

the hawks were in the playoffs and you could see plenty of empty seats. And for some reason i watched an inning of the mets and braves game and no one was there
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    anywhere in iraq during the Hussein era
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Florida is seriously losing out here in terms of professional sports fans:

Miami
    Jacksonville
    Tampa

All those fans suck
  • Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oakland is WACK

Raiders,A's and warriors ALL suck they aint won jack in 21 years.Oakland is the worse sports city in america
  • 1of1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    How is Oakland worse than Cleveland though man?
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oakland is WACK

Raiders,A's and warriors ALL suck they aint won jack in 21 years.Oakland is the worse sports city in america

if nobody cosigns this, its getting moved to the appropriate place
  • txboi_09
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oakland is WACK

Not as far as fans go though the raiders alone take care of that I hate the raider but they got some die hard fans. Even when they're team is being led by Jamarcus, these dudes in Tampa Bay dont ? with a team that was in the championship game and who is in first place with probably some of the best young talent in the MLB. That ? i just not acceptable.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tampa aint bad USF football does pretty good, now Jacksonville thats another story I give them the benefit since they only got one team but damn they should support that one team
  • 1of1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oakland has beyond die hard fans...can't cosign that

Yeah I'm going to go with Seattle...why the ? would you want to be in that city...
    Key Arena nearly reached attendance of 10,000 a couple times this season for the Seattle Storm lol. People come from far and wide to see Sue Bird (far = about 6 miles or less, wide = about 8 miles or less). Seattle is GOAT.
  • txboi_09
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Seattle is a tough place to play though, they got that whole 12 man thing going on or whatever. ? gets loud especially during their Superbowl Run. I think the thread title is confusing people, Im not talking about sport cities that people dont want to go to. I mean Cleveland fans supported the Cavs at least when Bron was there and thru all of last season when they had the best record. Im talking about cities where the fans just dont support their team at all despite winning, to me that has to be Tampa Bay
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Florida is seriously losing out here in terms of professional sports fans:

Miami
    Jacksonville
    Tampa

All those fans suck

I live in miami and i have to agree, when shaq came to the heat in 2004, for the next 3 season, we sold out the arena for every home game, when he left and wade had to do everything, arena looked empty, i watched game 4 of the east 1st round playoffs when wadw scored like 46 vs the celtics and the arean was pretty empty, it wont be empty for the next few years, but I do sometimes hate my home city cause of the lack of fan supprt
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    Seattle is a tough place to play though, they got that whole 12 man thing going on or whatever. ? gets loud especially during their Superbowl Run. I think the thread title is confusing people, Im not talking about sport cities that people dont want to go to. I mean Cleveland fans supported the Cavs at least when Bron was there and thru all of last season when they had the best record. Im talking about cities where the fans just dont support their team at all despite winning, to me that has to be Tampa Bay

Nah I think Atlanta is worse in terms of support. They have had the Hawks, Braves and Falcons all been playoff teams with very little fan support.
  • foxhill10
    foxhill10 Members Posts: 82
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tropicana Field is in St. Petersburg, not Tampa, and the drive is about 40 minutes on a very good day. It's really difficult to get there. They've been trying to build a stadium in Tampa for ages but it's been delayed so many times.
  • txboi_09
    edited August 2010
    Options
    foxhill10 wrote: »
    Tropicana Field is in St. Petersburg, not Tampa, and the drive is about 40 minutes on a very good day. It's really difficult to get there. They've been trying to build a stadium in Tampa for ages but it's been delayed so many times.

Im sure the lack of attendance has had to do with the new stadium taking so long to be build I mean what to say that these same people who wont drive 40 minutes wont find another excuse to not show up to the games. Then your just stuck with a nice new empty stadium.
  • dbrazil412
    dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the trop is pretty wack though...i mean yeah i know ya team is doin great n all, but that stadium is terrible. i dont think i'd wanna go to a game there on a regular basis

now if only the pirates were 81-50, tied for the best record in the majors...

*sighs*
  • foxhill10
    foxhill10 Members Posts: 82
    edited August 2010
    Options
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    Im sure the lack of attendance has had to do with the new stadium taking so long to be build I mean what to say that these same people who wont drive 40 minutes wont find another excuse to not show up to the games. Then your just stuck with a nice new empty stadium.

Maybe so, but it'll ask a lot less from the fans. Driving to another city at the peak of rush hour (to make the 7pm game time) is a bit much.