Options
Malice Intended
Malice Intended Members Posts: 50
edited February 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
http://planetill.com/2010/01/album-review-sade-soldier-of-love/

Album Review: Sade-Soldier Of Love

sade-soldier-of-love-album-cover-300x300.jpg

By shelz.

Sade has always created a cavernous rift in the music listening public. Their fans are staunch believers of her atmospheric power and her band’s ability to wrap you comfortably in the beautiful melancholy their music projects. A Sade album is like a sermon crafted solely for those who have loved and lost; listeners who revisit the episode not to open old wounds but to rejoice in the understanding of it all. Then there is everyone else. These are the non-fans who believe Sade on the stereo, a dark room and anything sharp within arm’s reach is a recipe for suicide soufflé. To them, the melancholy is overbearing and less than enjoyable.

However, Ms. Adu and company have managed to retain a loyal fan base even after a ten year hiatus and their latest release, Soldier of Love, is one of the most anticipated albums of 2010. And the band doesn’t disappoint unless, of course, you were expecting a 180 in content and delivery. They are still searching for that unordinary love and failing miserably, but their sonic pain is our gain.

The album begins with “The Moon and the Sky.” It’s a tale of betrayal between lovers. He pushed. He prodded and when the chase was over and Adu was sufficiently in love, he walked away. However, he keeps her hanging, not allowing her heart the freedom to love another. In true Sade fashion, the track is moody and somber. The foundation is built with strings and a slow bass as Mathewman’s guitar whines over top. It’s their signature sound just as effectual as previous material.

Following is the first single, “Soldier of Love,” with its military inspired comparisons of love and war. Next is “Morning Bird.” The strings and piano are sparse. The songs builds slowly while Adu bemoans being chained to the memory of happier days. Again it’s solemn and again it’s beautiful.

Come visit us at Planet Ill to read the rest: http://planetill.com/2010/01/album-review-sade-soldier-of-love/

Comments

• illmaticChick
    illmaticChick Members Posts: 12
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm so excited.....Sade is amazing. Can't wait for the album;long overdue.
  • dr. zero_ahh
    dr. zero_ahh Members Posts: 299
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Long time no hear Malice_Intended. It was an appropriate review and after listening to it this weekend for myself, I have to say that I loved it. However, as a fan of the Smooth Operator style Sade, it lacked in having a real BIG musical, quick rhythm tune to be released. Despite that, the music was beautifully arranged in that the music and Sade's voice were not competing with each other; it was wonderfully blended together to create an album that R&B has been missing for ages. The only negative would be that we only got to hear a little over 50 minutes of Sade's vocal, lyrical, and musical genius. After being gone so long, I wished they could have blessed us with 15-20 more minutes. However, if you are looking for an album which represents the historical and true intent of Rhythm and Blues, look no further because Soldier of Love accomplishes this goal and much more.