Who was bigger: Lil Wayne in 08', 50 Cent in 03', or Em in 00'?

Options

Comments

• Talk_Of_NY
    Talk_Of_NY Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yall forget 50 cent's blow up was CRAZY thats definately a moment in hiphop history, that was the definition of a movement, EVERYONE bought GET RICH and EVERYBODY to this day still has in da club on there ipod

if fifty would have got shot and died after get rich, he would be 2nd only to 2pac
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And if Eminem died right after The Eminem Show he'd be second only to John Lennon.
  • tp3
    tp3 Members Posts: 91
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its already been a documented fact that 50 had the biggest buzz, momentum or whatever you wanna call it than any other rapper in history. He did almost 900k two weeks in a row and sold 12 albums worldwide of his major label debut. Literally every car, house, apt, club etc.. was bumpin 50 all day everyday. he had shoes, beefs, clothing lines, I mean the ? was phenomenal. A buzz I cant remember seeing since snoops debut.

Sales aren't the determining factor in this discussion because look at em right now. He's killin ? wit sales but his impact and buzz doesn't equate. I have yet to hear one person bumpin his album, myself included...i havent even heard it and don't care to.

And plz stop saying wayne did 1.5 first week he actually did 1,005,545, which is still bananas.

"The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 1,005,545 copies in its first week." Source: Billboard.

"The dates, artists, titles and sales figures (in millions) of albums that sold at least a million units in a week:

6/15/2008: Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III; 1.01M

3/6/2005: 50 Cent, The Massacre; 1.14

3/28/2004: Usher, Confessions; 1.10

2/15/2004: Norah Jones, Feels Like Home; 1.02

7/29/2001: 'N Sync, Celebrity; 1.88

11/26/2000: Backstreet Boys, Black & Blue; 1.59

10/22/2000: Limp Bizkit, Chocolate Starfish . . . ; 1.06

5/28/2000: Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP; 1.76

5/21/2000: Britney Spears, Oops! I Did It Again; 1.32

3/26/2000: 'N Sync, No Strings Attached; 2.42

5/23/1999: Backstreet Boys, Millennium; 1.13

11/22/1998: Garth Brooks, Double Live; 1.09

Source: Nielsen SoundScan, which started tracking sales in 1991"

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-06-18-lil-wayne-sales_N.htm
  • tp3
    tp3 Members Posts: 91
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ^^^men lie, woman lie, numbers dont...
  • da_murderman281
    da_murderman281 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    50 buzz was super crazy in 03. I bumped that ? non stop and still do to this day.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited October 2010
    Options
    50 cent or Eminem, depending on the demographic you're looking at.
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    imma be different and say em in '00.
    dude was heavy back then.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited October 2010
    Options
    *waits for mr.getbitcha to say "WAYNE ? ON THOSE TWO ? ......GETBITCHA!!!!!"*
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Had to be 50 cuh. He had the streets on fire.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Had to be 50 cuh. He had the streets on fire.

this .
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Even though the answer is 50 cent, its funny to see some of the answers when it comes to Wayne. Its like people forget that 50 and Em were new artist and new artist always sell more in the beginning. Wayne was not a new artist and had been out for years. Name another rapper that took the same path to stardom like Wayne. Its never happened in hip hop. And its funny how cats want to say sales in 03 are comparable to sales in 08. 5 years of internet piracy has changed the entire landscape of music. They cant even be compared. I cant even remember the last time i brought a cd (thanks net nerds)

Getwitcha
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Even though the answer is 50 cent, its funny to see some of the answers when it comes to Wayne. Its like people forget that 50 and Em were new artist and new artist always sell more in the beginning. Wayne was not a new artist and had been out for years. Name another rapper that took the same path to stardom like Wayne. Its never happened in hip hop. And its funny how cats want to say sales in 03 are comparable to sales in 08. 5 years of internet piracy has changed the entire landscape of music. They cant even be compared. I cant even remember the last time i brought a cd (thanks net nerds)

Getwitcha

50 techinally wasn't a new artist and neither was em
    their first cd's were power of a dollar (dropped in 99??) & slim shady lp (dropped in 99)
  • questgod
    questgod Members Posts: 162
    edited October 2010
    Options
    50 hands down. he had the hood and the burbs
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »
    50 techinally wasn't a new artist and neither was em
    their first cd's were power of a dollar (dropped in 99??) & slim shady lp (dropped in 99)

Power of a Dollar was never released so he was technically a new artist.

By the way 50 was def hotter, only person i could put close to him would be Drake.
  • bmoreeast
    edited October 2010
    Options
    genstasia wrote: »
    Power of a Dollar did dropp... i had it on bootleg in 2000

Maybe bootleg but it never officially dropped. U from up north so u could get anything bootleg up there.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    EM: 1.76 million copies first week
    7.9 million copies by the end of 2000

50: 872,000 copies first week
    6.5 million copies by end of 2003

Wayne: 1,005,545 copies first week
    2.88 million copies by end of 2008

not hatin on 50 cause dude was all over but how can ppl say he was bigger than Em when u put the numbers up against each other
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    in this order

50>Em>wayne

although i would say Em 02 had a bigger buzz then Em 00 but 50 at his peak was like nothing i ever saw before
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    genstasia wrote: »
    it's not just about numbers... Cuz honestly i still havent heard nobody play an Em album where im from...

thats why i said in my first post in this thread if we talkin hoods which most posters in here are from (or say they are)we are all gonna say 50 and i understand that but if we talkin about outside the hood also i dont see how he was bigger imo
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    In '03 everybody you knew either had "Wanksta" or "In da Club" as a ringtone. I felt dumb buying Grodt once I realized all I had to do was drive around town wit' my windows open to hear the whole entire
    album
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I guess it does really depend on the demographic/perspective, as someone mentioned earlier. I was not a fan of that 50 Cent sh*t in 2003 and honestly I couldn't escape it. Everywhere I went I was forced to hear that sh*t. I know songs (at least partially) on GRODT that I never willingly listened to b/c I had no choice but to hear it depending on where I was at (clubs, someone else's car/house, etc.). Sh*t was out of control. Even though Em sold ridiculous it just wasn't like that. Again, my perspective is the only one I can give...not just looking at first week #'s or #'s period.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    In '03 everybody you knew either had "Wanksta" or "In da Club" as a ringtone. I felt dumb buying Grodt once I realized all I had to do was drive around town wit' my windows open to hear the whole entire
    album
    True lol....
  • bmoreeast
    edited October 2010
    Options
    EM: 1.76 million copies first week
    7.9 million copies by the end of 2000

50: 872,000 copies first week
    6.5 million copies by end of 2003

Wayne: 1,005,545 copies first week
    2.88 million copies by end of 2008

not hatin on 50 cause dude was all over but how can ppl say he was bigger than Em when u put the numbers up against each other

Not to sound like G757 or wateva his name is but i never really count Em against other artist cuz (no-hating) he'll always have a extra advantage over other artist. Not taking anything away from his obvious talent but he will always sell more then the next rapper.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i will take Tupac in 96 for 500 alex.
  • myles@thisisfif
    myles@thisisfif Members Posts: 274
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chalee_Boi wrote: »
    Em had white America on lock...50 had the streets.

Since we are talking mainstream artists...white America's backing >>> the hood's backing. No rapper ever pulled the numbers Em did. Also he did it at a time where hip-hop was getting dominated sales by Pop. For Em to emerge selling 2milli the first week when American Mainstream radio was all Britney Spears and Nsync, and Backstreet boys...was epic.

real talk, people under credit him hard, even though i voted 50 cause i felt like get rich or die tryin was a bigger first buzz.
  • bmoreeast
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Chalee_Boi wrote: »
    Em had white America on lock...50 had the streets.

Since we are talking mainstream artists...white America's backing >>> the hood's backing. No rapper ever pulled the numbers Em did. Also he did it at a time where hip-hop was getting dominated sales by Pop. For Em to emerge selling 2milli the first week when American Mainstream radio was all Britney Spears and Nsync, and Backstreet boys...was epic.

Not really cuz all those artist were knock-offs of better Black artist anyway. Em was just an extention of that phenomenon only thing is he turned out to actually b talented. Wit the exception of Justin those other guys were bs.