when watching white entertainment television

Options
Aztec_Kang
Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
you know lets just say you're at the crib bored watching whatever holds your interest. say you're watching friends or seinfeld or whatever. i know these are old shows but they're still on every night. im not sure what the newest popular w.e.t. shows are at this time.

don't those shows make it seem like only white people populate earth? they might have 1 black or mexican character every now and then but it's all white people other than that.

and white people don't even notice that these shows are all white cast all the time. it's like perfectly normal for them to watch shows with this type of casting.

discuss

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Uh.. its intentional.. just like a few years ago.. a British... actor in a sitcom.. or adding Fat ass Cal to Sanford and Son.. White mike to the Waynes bros.. the list goes on..
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    gotta keep em separated..
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    of course it's intentional. it's been this way since i was a kid. i remember watching saved by the bell and it was like 98% white people except for lisa turtle and slater. hella random reference but im sure yall used to watch it too. the ? is funny it's so obvious. it will be 2050 and the casting of shows will still be done like this. like only white people inhabit the earth except for the occassional character that is the plumber or some ? or the housekeeper.
  • mr. mista xxlusive
    mr. mista xxlusive Members Posts: 1,458 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just like if u watched fresh prince, family matters, a different world, martin, the NBA.....you would think ? populate the world
  • b@squ1@t redux
    edited October 2010
    Options
    they do it for the same reason that blacks and whites go to separate churches
  • playmaker88
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Just like if u watched fresh prince, family matters, a different world, martin, the NBA.....you would think ? populate the world

you really cant be serious..
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    they do it for the same reason that blacks and whites go to separate churches

interesting. why do whites and blacks go to seperate churches in your opinion? im not religious so enlighten me that sounds really interesting.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • b@squ1@t redux
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    interesting. why do whites and blacks go to seperate churches in your opinion? im not religious so enlighten me that sounds really interesting.

because ? is a hermaphrodite

and an atheist
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It could be a number of reasons family, tradition, the preacher, etc. I have been to catholic church before and that was the boringest church I have ever been to. It seemed like everybody was sleep and the priest /bishop whatever was speaking like that Stein guy on the eye commericals.
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    It could be a number of reasons family, tradition, the preacher, etc. I have been to catholic church before and that was the boringest church I have ever been to. It seemed like everybody was sleep and the priest /bishop whatever was speaking like that Stein guy on the eye commericals.

i think the reason why whites and blacks go to seperate churches is because of racism and prejudice. anyone agree?
  • Ladiesman
    Ladiesman Members Posts: 741
    edited October 2010
    Options

The fresh prince is a bad example the NBA lmao
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    you know lets just say you're at the crib bored watching whatever holds your interest. say you're watching friends or seinfeld or whatever. i know these are old shows but they're still on every night. im not sure what the newest popular w.e.t. shows are at this time.

don't those shows make it seem like only white people populate earth? they might have 1 black or mexican character every now and then but it's all white people other than that.

and white people don't even notice that these shows are all white cast all the time. it's like perfectly normal for them to watch shows with this type of casting.

discuss

you act like this don't happen in the movies too...

In the vast majority of movies, the world is white with the occasional "mystical ? " that helps out (i.e. Whoopi in "Ghost", Morpheus and The Oracle in "The Matrix", etc...).

Cartoons are like that as well. ? ... I don't think there was one black character on either The Flintstones or The Jetsons. Johnny Quest had Haji, the "mystical indian", but that's it.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    u know how common it is for white ppl to be in areas and jsut not come across blacks well into their adult hood....
  • Ladiesman
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i think the reason why whites and blacks go to seperate churches is because of racism and prejudice. anyone agree?

Yeh I agree, white people wouldn't let black people into churches years back so black ppl started their own churches, now alot of black ppl I know don't go to white churches because they say it's too boring which is true lol and white ppl wanna come to black churches, going back to your orignal point yeh black people are not in these sitcoms or dramas on purpose, when I was living in the UK there was one actor who got left from a TV drama where he was a doctor because he wanted to have a black wife and the producers said to him your not being realistic black professionals don't have black partners. They like the token black guy or woman that's all. Point black racism.
  • Ladiesman
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    u know how common it is for white ppl to be in areas and jsut not come across blacks well into their adult hood....

In some cases neva and i'm being very serious
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    like someone said in "black" tv shows the same thing goes....

but actually a lot of these new shows (not that i watch them) have different races in the main cast
  • Ladiesman
    edited October 2010
    Options
    like someone said in "black" tv shows the same thing goes....

but actually a lot of these new shows (not that i watch them) have different races in the main cast

Yeh fam but the problem is there a hell of a lot more white shows then black.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ladiesman wrote: »
    Yeh fam but the problem is there a hell of a lot more white shows then black.

very true

tyler perry is trying tho LOL
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited October 2010
    Options
    im salty they moved my thread wtf. how many bet threads are there in the g and s. i make one w.e.t. thread and it gets moved right away to the ghostown that is light camera action. i think my thread is too real lol.
  • The_Introvert
    The_Introvert Members Posts: 796
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its called a Token ? (minority)

but yeah this past decade is been getting better, especially shows geared toward the younger generation. Seseme street got character with dreads and puppets singing about keeping their natural hair. Flip on disney channel you'll be hard pressed to find a show that aint got a significant number of minorities.
  • playmaker88
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The diversity among sitcoms was greater 20 years ago than now..
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    very true

tyler perry is trying tho LOL

This ? ass ? 's shows are wack as ? . Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit ? watching t.v. anyways.

If I do watch tv its mostly watching Discovery Channel or History Channel and Animal Planet if i am watching t.v. Or TV land and watch the old black shows on that ? too.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    edited October 2010
    Options
    History, A&E, Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo.......FTW!!!
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    History, A&E, Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo.......FTW!!!

Yeah them two channels is good too!