"upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life."

Options
DoUwant2go2Heaven
DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Flying Snakes' Secret Revealed

http://news.yahoo.com/s//livescience/20101123/sc_livescience/flyingsnakessecretrevealed/

LiveScience Senior Writer
LiveScience.com stephanie Pappas
livescience Senior Writer
livescience.com – Mon Nov 22, 8:20 pm ET
The snake dangles 49 feet (15 meters) off the ground, tail entwined around a branch. Suddenly, the animal rears up and launches, flinging its body toward the forest floor.
In other reptiles, the leap would be suicidal, or at least an invitation for broken bones. But the snake in question is a Chrysopelea paradisi, one of five related species of tree-dwelling snakes from Southeast and South Asia. When these snakes leap, it's not to nosedive; it's to glide from tree to tree, a feat they can accomplish at distances of at least 79 feet (24 m).
What no one knows is exactly how these reptiles manage to fly so far without wings. Now, a new study finds that the snakes' amazing aerial abilities may all be in the way they move.

"For any flier, you really need to know the basics: How fast is it going, what's the shape of the flier, what is the shape of the wing," study author Jake Socha, a biologist at Virginia Tech, told LiveScience. "With this new study, we now really get insight into what the exact position of the body is as it's in this really developed glide."
Socha presented his research today (Nov. 22) at the American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics meeting in Long Beach, Calif. The study will be published this week in the journal Bioinspiration and Biomimetics.
B]Related:[/B] [URL="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/livescience/sc_livescience/storytext/flyingsnakessecretrevealed/38692336/SIG=10nirvet4/*http://yhoo.it/8YH4Em"][COLOR=#0058a6]Military eyes the glowing secrets of fireflies[/COLOR][/URL
Aerial acrobatics
Socha has been researching the aerodynamics of gliding snakes for years. His previous studies have found that these snakes flatten themselves as they launch, undulating side-to-side as if they're slithering in mid-air. They glide fast, between 26 and 33 feet per second (8 to 10 meters per second), Socha said.
To find out more about how the snakes position themselves during the glide, Socha and his colleagues videotaped snakes launching themselves from the 49-foot tower toward the ground. The researchers put white dots on the snakes' bodies so they could calculate where the animal was in space at each point during the flight. The technology is similar to that used to do motion capture for video games or animated movies, Socha said.
The snakes are more than happy to glide for the cameras, Socha said.
"They glide; that's what they do," he said. "So they're like, 'I'm outta here, I'm gonna go down there.'"
Next, the researchers used the video to model and analyze the forces acting on the snakes' bodies. They found that the snakes aren't horizontal during their glide; they're actually tilted up about 25 degrees relative to the airflow created by their flight. They hold the front half of their bodies fairly still, with the exception of the side-to-side undulations. Meanwhile, their tails move up and down. Video of snake flights is available at Socha's website.
"We definitely find that there are good places to be and bad places to be, places that augment your force production and places that make it less favorable," Socha said. "It seems that the snake is using a configuration that is highly favorable to being a good glider."
Surprisingly, although the snakes move down toward the ground, the net force on their bodies during the glide is an upward force - at least briefly. That means that if you add up every force acting on the snake, Socha said, you'd be left with a small force pushing the snake skyward.
The snake doesn't actually start moving up in part because they don't fly far enough for the net upward force to have an effect, and in part because the upward force disappears quickly, Socha said.

B]Video:[/B] [URL="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/livescience/sc_livescience/storytext/flyingsnakessecretrevealed/38692336/SIG=10n5vqahf/*http://yhoo.it/azh5qI"][COLOR=#0058a6]NFL team pranked by fake snake[/COLOR][/URL
Serpents in flight
Transient or not, the fact that the snake isn't gliding in equilibrium is exciting, said Greg Byrnes, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Cincinnati who studies gliding mammals.
"You have something that doesn't look like it should be able to fly at all, and it actually is able to fly well enough that it supports more than its body weight with force," Byrnes, who was not involved in the research, told LiveScience. "That's a pretty cool thing."
"For a long, long time, people have thought it's a very simple process, basically like flying a paper airplane," Byrnes added. "It turns out that's not true."
The next step, Socha said, is to work out how the snakes' body position affects its glide.
"The whole snake itself is just one long wing," Socha said. "That wing is constantly reconfiguring, it's constantly reforming and contorting... Parts of the body, depending on where they are in space, might be interacting with the wake from the front part of the body, and this might hurt or help or be neutral."
The findings could eventually be applicable to building small, agile flying vehicles, Socha said. But, he said, they're also exciting in their own right. "Why is it that you don't tumble out of the sky if you're a snake?" he said. "Now we have the framework for doing detailed studies of the aerodynamics."

[video]http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/nature-untamed/4891/Videos/08891_00[/video]

Well it's no wonder.

"14And the LORD ? said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:" Genesis 3:14

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    um that article is about a snake that clearly does not crawl on its belly eating dust all its days
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    um that article is about a snake that clearly does not crawl on its belly eating dust all its days

Well with a little deductive reasoning and plain old common sense, you can easily see whats going on here. ? bless.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh, so the snakes out smarted ? and took from the ground to the air?

I don't see your point DoU, explain?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hmmm I was just thinking, maybe the point of stating 'crawling on the belly' was a reference to not walking upright, like we're all suppose to strive for?
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hmmm I was just thinking, maybe the point of stating 'crawling on the belly' was a reference to not walking upright, like we're all suppose to strive for?

exactly....? be missing the point.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    smh @ snakes failing at trying to commit suicide
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    "Our Bible reveals to us the character of our ? with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast" [Reflections on Religion, 1906]

-Mark Twain

Powerful post
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    "I see no changes" - pac
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options

The point is that ? is true. Even though the serpent was cursed by ? after the fall of man, we can still see glimpses of how majestic this creature once was.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options

Nice insight. Yeah, the serpent did not walk upright. But the curse that ? gave to the serpent was literal. Snakes crawl on their belly. And I personally believe that they were able to fly prior to the fall of man, which the article hints at.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Nice insight. Yeah, the serpent did not walk upright. But the curse that ? gave to the serpent was literal. Snakes crawl on their belly. And I personally believe that they were able to fly prior to the fall of man, which the article hints at.

I thought you didn't believe in evolution.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    I thought you didn't believe in evolution.

I dont believe in evolution. I believe what ? said and did.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I dont believe in evolution. I believe what ? said and did.

But.... you just said.... snakes used to... I mean.... how can.... but....
  • VIBE
    edited November 2010
    Options

Science and fossils show snakes once had legs my friend, this is how they now just "crawl on their bellies" and aren't able to walk with legs. It's not that they once FLEW. It's something that they evolved to do, the certain ones that do.

This is exactly why I was wondering wtf you were talking about. I wasn't sure if you were saying they once flew or they once walked, but seeing where you stand you're wrong. Snakes didn't fly, they walked. Technically, they don't really FLY FLY, like birds do anyways. They jump off of high points in trees, and "fly" basically laying themselves out to glide down to the ground. Same ? with a flying squirrel. They don't flap, just let the wind take 'em and glide, like paragliding or something. IMO it's more so gliding than flying.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    But.... you just said.... snakes used to... I mean.... how can.... but....

How is once being able to fly and then being cursed by ? to spend all their days on the ground considered evolution?

Sounds more like i dunno, de-evolution if anything.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Science and fossils show snakes once had legs my friend, this is how they now just "crawl on their bellies" and aren't able to walk with legs. It's not that they once FLEW. It's something that they evolved to do, the certain ones that do.

This is exactly why I was wondering wtf you were talking about. I wasn't sure if you were saying they once flew or they once walked, but seeing where you stand you're wrong. Snakes didn't fly, they walked. Technically, they don't really FLY FLY, like birds do anyways. They jump off of high points in trees, and "fly" basically laying themselves out to glide down to the ground. Same ? with a flying squirrel. They don't flap, just let the wind take 'em and glide, like paragliding or something. IMO it's more so gliding than flying.

I've heard the take before and I respect it. I have my beliefs on it and I have shared them. Once I get to heaven maybe ? will clarify this topic for me. ? bless.
  • Chike
    edited November 2010
    Options
    How is once being able to fly and then being cursed by ? to spend all their days on the ground considered evolution?

Sounds more like i dunno, de-evolution if anything.

How come ? doesn't do this anymore? You christians always joke that you've never once seen a banana turn into a monkey.... but yet... you've never seen a Snake talk either.... so... And that snake in your OP was not flying, it was jumping/gliding. That does not in any way mean snakes were able to fly at one point... also, if ? cursed the snake to never fly again, why would snakes be able to all of a sudden break gods curse? Are snakes redeeming themselves somehow now?

I mean DoU.... DoU ever try to think about things? I mean just sit back and think about what it is exactly you're telling us. lolWho knows, you might have yourself a good laugh too.
  • VIBE
    edited November 2010
    Options

The article doesn't hint they could fly prior to the fall of man. It's something they picked up on later in their snake lives of evolution and pass it down to others. If you think ? made them that way and don't believe in evolution then what about this?

Rattlesnakes, in a certain area, not sure if it's Texas or not but around there humans have "sped up and influenced evolution". These certain Rattlers don't rattle anymore when in danger of a human near by. Why? Humans go on "snake hunts" and ? them for their skin, rattlers and whatever else. Amazing that they have pretty much caught on and don't rattle, why? Because rattling gives off their hiding spots making it very easy for them to be found and caught. When they don't rattle, the hunters have no idea where they are at. THESE ARE THE ONLY SNAKES, IN THIS AREA, THAT DON'T RATTLE!! It's very much so evidence of evolution taking place and we're speeding it up! These snakes will NOT rattle UNTIL they are PICKED UP. So this is more dangerous to humans. Do you consider ? telling these snakes NOT to rattle? Or is this plain out them catching on and being SMART to NOT rattle because they know?

What about the Killer Whale? It has been widely known that the Great White shark is the KING of the Seas, it's the TOP predator amongst the waters period. Right? Nope, not anymore there's now a contender and it kills sharks. Kills Great Whites, it's called the Killer Whale (Orca). This muthafucka is smart as ? . Check this out...

Scientist found out if you take a shark and position it belly up it goes into "Tonic Immobilization" basically it remains calm and "goes to sleep". Not even the smell of blood will pop it up and awake, it's sense heighten but not enough to make it awaken. Anyway, we know this and been known this, which is how scientist are able to place tracking devices on sharks easily. One thing, they can't be like that for a long period of time (more than 15 min I think) or they die/drown/suffocate. Well the Killer Whale now caught on to this tactic. They RAM the Great White (or any shark) from the side, putting it in a daze, then ram it until it "flips belly up" once belly up, they rush it and hold it in that position with it's MOUTH. They hold it until it's dead, then they eat the damn thing. This happened over at the Farallon Island on camera, after that attack the sharks left. They left over 100 miles of their hunting grounds for GOOD! Scared of these Killer Whales. What made them leave? The smell of what scientist call "death". When the shark dies, it releases a pheromone of "death" in which makes the sharks scatter and swim away, very very far away. Scientist recreated this smell and chummed the waters with blood, fish etc. They allowed a group of sharks to feast, they opened this can of this "death" threw it in the water and literally within 1 sec they all scattered and left for good.

Now that's TWO things. 1. The Killer Whale killing Great Whites by now knowing what to do and 2. Great Whites (or all sharks) being able to have a scent to let them know "? , this ? is dangerous". It's not just a death, we see that all the time, Lions see it and stay around. Birds see it and stay around, other fish see it and stay around but these sharks have a communication of stay away, far away.

ALSO! Being that Sting Rays are close relatives of sharks, Killer Whales ALSO know that if a STING RAY is flipped belly up the same ? happens. So a Killer Whale goes UPSIDE DOWN, bites a sting ray, turns right side up and in that movement it puts the sting ray upside down. It's all evolution, they learn by doing and in doing so the others watch communicate and learn as well.

It's evolution, not ? doing anything to interfere and help them. Not ? taking or granting them abilities.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    How come ? doesn't do this anymore? You christians always joke that you've never once seen a banana turn into a monkey.... but yet... you've never seen a Snake talk either.... so... And that snake in your OP was not flying, it was jumping/gliding. That does not in any way mean snakes were able to fly at one point... also, if ? cursed the snake to never fly again, why would snakes be able to all of a sudden break gods curse? Are snakes redeeming themselves somehow now?

I mean DoU.... DoU ever try to think about things? I mean just sit back and think about what it is exactly you're telling us. lolWho knows, you might have yourself a good laugh too.

I see that reasoning skiils, common sense, and plain ol intuitive instincts is lacking round these parts. I mean come on. Of course snakes can't fly now. I was just trying to open up peoples minds a litttle bit. Yes, 1+1=2. But we need to get beyond the basics and dig a little my friend.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    can you plz explain how is the idea of a talking snake any more crazy than the idea of us on the internet thousands of miles away from each other, chatting with each other in real time
  • VIBE
    edited November 2010
    Options
    can you plz explain how is the idea of a talking snake any more crazy than the idea of us on the internet thousands of miles away from each other, chatting with each other in real time

Can technology make a real snake talk in real time?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The article doesn't hint they could fly prior to the fall of man. It's something they picked up on later in their snake lives of evolution and pass it down to others. If you think ? made them that way and don't believe in evolution then what about this?

Rattlesnakes, in a certain area, not sure if it's Texas or not but around there humans have "sped up and influenced evolution". These certain Rattlers don't rattle anymore when in danger of a human near by. Why? Humans go on "snake hunts" and ? them for their skin, rattlers and whatever else. Amazing that they have pretty much caught on and don't rattle, why? Because rattling gives off their hiding spots making it very easy for them to be found and caught. When they don't rattle, the hunters have no idea where they are at. THESE ARE THE ONLY SNAKES, IN THIS AREA, THAT DON'T RATTLE!! It's very much so evidence of evolution taking place and we're speeding it up! These snakes will NOT rattle UNTIL they are PICKED UP. So this is more dangerous to humans. Do you consider ? telling these snakes NOT to rattle? Or is this plain out them catching on and being SMART to NOT rattle because they know?

What about the Killer Whale? It has been widely known that the Great White shark is the KING of the Seas, it's the TOP predator amongst the waters period. Right? Nope, not anymore there's now a contender and it kills sharks. Kills Great Whites, it's called the Killer Whale (Orca). This muthafucka is smart as ? . Check this out...

Scientist found out if you take a shark and position it belly up it goes into "Tonic Immobilization" basically it remains calm and "goes to sleep". Not even the smell of blood will pop it up and awake, it's sense heighten but not enough to make it awaken. Anyway, we know this and been known this, which is how scientist are able to place tracking devices on sharks easily. One thing, they can't be like that for a long period of time (more than 15 min I think) or they die/drown/suffocate. Well the Killer Whale now caught on to this tactic. They RAM the Great White (or any shark) from the side, putting it in a daze, then ram it until it "flips belly up" once belly up, they rush it and hold it in that position with it's MOUTH. They hold it until it's dead, then they eat the damn thing. This happened over at the Farallon Island on camera, after that attack the sharks left. They left over 100 miles of their hunting grounds for GOOD! Scared of these Killer Whales. What made them leave? The smell of what scientist call "death". When the shark dies, it releases a pheromone of "death" in which makes the sharks scatter and swim away, very very far away. Scientist recreated this smell and chummed the waters with blood, fish etc. They allowed a group of sharks to feast, they opened this can of this "death" threw it in the water and literally within 1 sec they all scattered and left for good.

Now that's TWO things. 1. The Killer Whale killing Great Whites by now knowing what to do and 2. Great Whites (or all sharks) being able to have a scent to let them know "? , this ? is dangerous". It's not just a death, we see that all the time, Lions see it and stay around. Birds see it and stay around, other fish see it and stay around but these sharks have a communication of stay away, far away.

ALSO! Being that Sting Rays are close relatives of sharks, Killer Whales ALSO know that if a STING RAY is flipped belly up the same ? happens. So a Killer Whale goes UPSIDE DOWN, bites a sting ray, turns right side up and in that movement it puts the sting ray upside down. It's all evolution, they learn by doing and in doing so the others watch communicate and learn as well.

It's evolution, not ? doing anything to interfere and help them. Not ? taking or granting them abilities.

1. Snakes have brains. How is not using their rattler in the presence of humans evolution?

2. Don't see how your correlating killer whales killing great whites with evolution, but I liked the information.

3. Dont see how your correlating the "death scent" with evolution either. I mean these creatures have brains my friend.

4. While I enjoyed the info you provided, you still have not presented any evidence for evolution. When a chicken evolves into a shark, I will believe in evolution. Until then it will continually be filed away in the circular file
  • VIBE
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I see that reasoning skiils, common sense, and plain ol intuitive instincts is lacking round these parts. I mean come on. Of course snakes can't fly now. I was just trying to open up peoples minds a litttle bit. Yes, 1+1=2. But we need to get beyond the basics and dig a little my friend.

LACK of REASONING SKILLS, COMMON SENSE! Are you kidding me DoU? Chike makes one hell of a point, if this a curse BY ? !!!!!!!!!!! That's you will WALK THE REST OF YOUR LIVES ON YOUR BELLY AND EATING DUST, then how is it POSSIBLE that a SNAKE is able to go from the ground, to a tree, to the air as means of TRAVEL!? Sounds like to me the snake has outsmarted ? , no?

It takes common sense to see that snakes aren't curse and ONCE HAD LEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's not FAKE, they once DID and snakes today STILL HAVE EVIDENCE OF HIND LEGS! Also, it takes a reasoning skill to see that snakes (if cursed) outsmarted ? by all means.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Do you, do you ever plan on becoming a pastor and owning your own church? or is this forum as far as your evangelizing gonna go