Is Kanye West a Bigger and Better Star/Artist Than Jay-Z ?

Options

Comments

• birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Jay Z cant and wont be on top forever. Aint you jigga warriors always talking about progression. well thats what time is doing and also the generation is doing. my gen x are turning into the old heads. the 90s crackbabies are getting older and now these millenium x pill babies are going to be the voice and mainstream representatives of hip hop. ? born after 93-94 dont give a ? about Jay Z or what he has done. his history holds no weight. these ? like drake and new boyz and wiz etc etc. Jay Z lane has come to a close. now he will know what its like to have your legacy ignored and overshadowed like the birth era/golden era mcs that we act like never exisited.

Eminem>Jay Z
    Kanye>Jay Z
    Wayne>Jay Z

your right, but jay has never been on top. pac, big, x, ja, em, nelly, 50, wayne, and kanye are just some of the people whose popularity has overshadowed jays.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Jay fell the ? off. But I would say he's still a bigger star just because he's married to Beyonce and has half a billion dollars.

Musically, Kanye is unquestionably better.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    birdcall89 wrote: »
    your right, but jay has never been on top. pac, big, x, ja, em, nelly, 50, wayne, and kanye are just some of the people whose popularity has overshadowed jays.

at one point but none of those dudes were consistent with it
  • bchuck
    bchuck Members Posts: 105
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Wayne is about to pass up Jay Z legacy. Does that old ass ? think that he will stay on top forever?

In what way? Making popular singles and staying on the radio? Can Wayne drop one classic album before he is even mentioned alongside the likes of Jay-Z?
  • birdcall89
    edited November 2010
    Options
    at one point but none of those dudes were consistent with it

jay isnt consistent like that either. dude has a twista average - every other album sucks.
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay has a great career, in a way Jay has had TWO careers

the first part of Jays career ended with the Black Album, by this time he was a Hip hop icon, however not a worldwide icon.

when he returned again the buzz was bigger than ever, i say he really crossed over to WORLDWIDE iconic status in 2007 when he did the Glastonberry show, which Jay even says is his biggest achievement. However to get there it was not just about his music, it was about his personal life, being with the most famous woman on the planet and best-friends with one of the biggest bands front man did help soften his image to the white people, so they took him more seriously.

on the other hand white people took on to kanye straight away, he was like the solo version of the fugees...

yall remember when pac and big were the biggest rappers in america? but at the same time the fugee's were bigger worldwide than the both of them, the reason being because they were NON THREATENING and came across as more creative with there melodic songs.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    edited November 2010
    Options
    jay isnt consistent like that either. dude has a twista average - every other album sucks.

im talking bout his popularity, he has been popular and relevent since 1998, none of those dudes have, not even eminem, he dissapeared 2005-08
  • birdcall89
    edited November 2010
    Options
    im talking bout his popularity, he has been popular and relevent since 1998, none of those dudes have, not even eminem, he dissapeared 2005-08

jay was retired 03-07ish though. he wasnt too relevant or popular then.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    edited November 2010
    Options
    jay was retired 03-07ish though. he wasnt too relevant or popular then.

he was still guest apperaning on songs and touring
  • birdcall89
    edited November 2010
    Options
    he was still guest apperaning on songs and touring

he did like 3 guest appearances, and no major tours. if dropping a verse a year is staying popular and relevant, then 3stacks has been the undisputed rap ? since 94.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    edited November 2010
    Options
    he did like 3 guest appearances, and no major tours. if dropping a verse a year is staying popular and relevant, then 3stacks has been the undisputed rap ? since 94.

the best of both world w/ r.kelly in 04
    i delcare war concert at msg in 05
    tour in africa in 06
  • thesynthesis
    edited November 2010
    Options
    alot of these new jay fans did not no he existed until 2006-2007..we talking worldwide white mainstream here

he wasnt a household name like Eminem or 50cent or dr dre

jays rise has been very slow, where as those other artists were thrust into the limelight

kanye career is a mixture between jays and em's.....
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Bottomline, Jay will go down as the Greatest of all Time in my book
  • thesynthesis
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Bottomline, Jay will go down as the Greatest of all Time in my book

shame you cant write
  • birdcall89
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the best of both world w/ r.kelly in 04
    i delcare war concert at msg in 05
    tour in africa in 06

i forgot about the best of both worlds tour, thats where r kelly got pepper sprayed lol. but a tour in africa dosnt make you popular and relevant rapper, fat joe did an africa tour in like 08, is he really popular or relevant? so aside from 2 things he was gone those years. the fact that he retired took him out of relevancy. and a few shows aimed at his old audience dosnt make him popular.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    shame you cant write

Its a shame you hold so much denial inside
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Taking more risks does not make you a better artist.More creative? Yes! A better artist? No! Jay is a better rapper and is still much BIGGER than Kanye.Kanye does not have a single classic album in his catalog and I own all of his albums.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    jay-z was always overrated. when real ? was still running this rap ? dude was a 2nd or 3rd rate talent. it wasnt until big died that nyc called him off the bench. dude was just another 6th man ridin the pine. and since pac wasnt around to continue to pull his hoe card anymore following ass pop culture ? jumped on his ? and never let go. they were desperate 4 nyc 2 have a horse in the race. from 97-99 ? -z, puffy, and mase were battling 4 the title of king of ny. think about that. puffy, mase, and ? -z were neck and neck for the title of king of ny. wow. how overrated and commercial do u have to be to literraly compete with ? like puff and mase?

kanye is a dope producer and not a bad rapper. the thing with producers is that they dont have 2 be good rappers. they make their name and fortune off their beats. timbo has spit some garbage as rhymes but it doesnt matter. his beats are clasic. same for dre, lil' john, jermaine dupri, warren g, pharrell, missy elliot, etc. the producer/dj is and has always been the most important person in hip hop. the mc gets most of the shine but it was and will always be about the beats. therefore kanye is way more important than ? -z. and when u consider how ? -z and rockafella hated on kanye's 1st albulm that makes kanye even a bigger a star. he was talented enough to produce a great freshman record and overcome his label's internal hating and ? .

i still dont understand y kanye chose ? -z over dash. my understanding is that dash was the only 1 willing 2 sign kanye while every1 else was backbiting and hating. with just his beats alone kanye could have gone anywhere and made it. he didnt need ? -z so again kanye was bigger.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    .....on the other hand white people took on to kanye straight away, he was like the solo version of the fugees...

thats a great way of putting it. never thought of it that way but thats a perfect way 2 decribe kanye.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Kanye has been bigger artist than Jay Z since 2007. ? ? sucking Jay Z ? . He hasnt done anything for hip hop since his return. 3 lackluster albums. recurring publicity stunts. the camel star power is on fumes. he always needs an event to ride off of. 2006 was his "BIG" return. 2007 was piggybacking off of Denzel and American Gangster movie. 2008 was his marriage to that ? . 2009 he needed alicia keys to get a #1 single and rapped over the same production as Kesha/Gaga. We cant forget that Kanye EXECUTIVE PRODUCED the BP3 album and now he wants to do a joint album with Kanye. Kanye has done more for Jay Z career than Jay Z has done for his own since his return.

Hmmmmm....Tomp has a point.
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Taking more risks does not make you a better artist.More creative? Yes! A better artist? No! Jay is a better rapper and is still much BIGGER than Kanye.Kanye does not have a single classic album in his catalog and I own all of his albums.

? what ? not only was Kanye's 1st album one of the greatest debuts in hip hop history its a universally accepted classic I'm not even going into the fact that by most music fans account Kanye actually has more classics than Jay right now with less than half the catalog
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    in the eyes of the white media yes

in terms of hip hop no

i think kanye will eventually surpass jayz in evey way shape or form in the mainstream because his music is more than hip hop, its pop music

however to the real hip hop fans jay is better than kanye and always will be

just like to most real hip hop fans feel jay is better than pac

however dont be surprised when white people start saying kanye is the greatest or 2nd greatest behind em

kanye is already up there with the greats, 5 classic albums... the guy done changed the game 5 times...he's already there...
  • thesynthesis
    edited November 2010
    Options
    kanye is already up there with the greats, 5 classic albums... the guy done changed the game 5 times...he's already there...

dead@ 5 classic albums

? aint nobody in the game got 5 classic albums especially not kanye

kanye got one classic 2 at best......the rest of his work is average

kanye had not out done his first two albums,

he's more famous now, but that's about it, as an artist, he is still one of the best doing it, but there is not much competition or good music to compete with

he's more famous for his controversy these days than his music, earlier in his career it was all about the music, i dont care how many white people listen to his music, or what some white man rates his new album, it'll never be a classic.
  • thedarkprince
    thedarkprince Members Posts: 429
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jigga man stays being the goat...but kanye is prob a better artist...jus cause the ? more creative...
  • icemanbball89
    icemanbball89 Members Posts: 58
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I never realized how big of a star kanye has become until i saw pitchfork's review of his new album. I have never seen them give a hip hop album over an 8 and they usually ? on them (they gave eminem's new cd like a 4). But this does not mean its all good for yeezy. As with all rappers once they become popular in the mainstream, the hip hop heads start to turn their back on them calling them sellouts or whatever. Jay-z says it perfectly in his life from light up, "And since no good deed go unpunished, Im not as cool with n-ggas as I once was, I once was cool as the funds was, but these bright lights turned me to a monster." I think right now kanye is bigger than jay just based off the year he has had but when people look back on this era of hip hop jay-z will be much higher on the hierachy than kanye. Jay-Z is just a much better rapper than kanye, kanye is crazy with what he is able to do in the studio but when it comes to flat out bars jay-z's got kanye beat. So basically kanye will as big or bigger a star but not a better rapper.