Green Lantern/Blackest Night Questions.

Options
-Karl-
-Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Quite Comical
*Beware Of Spoilers*

Blackest Night

At the beginning it explains Batman, J'onn J'onnz and Aquaman died during the attack by Darkseid.

Is there a backstory to this?

Green Lantern

I jumped straight to Rebirth when reading the Green Lantern story. (Ill as ? by the way.)

So what should I read to find out what happened with Hal Jordan, Parallax and Coast City?

Green Lantern: Secret Origin?

School a noob.. again.

Comments

• nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I was just reading up on some of this. Coast city (I think) got destroyed during the Superman Reign's story arc, which in turn drove Hal crazy. Batman died during Final Crisis (I think).
  • -Karl-
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I was just reading up on some of this. Coast city (I think) got destroyed during the Superman Reign's story arc, which in turn drove Hal crazy. Batman died during Final Crisis (I think).

I know it got destroyed by cyborg superman of some ? .

I had an idea Batman died in Final Crisis. I remember someone saying it in an old thread. (E2S I think)

I just need to what I need to read.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Ok.

Batman sort of had 2 deaths. First one was in Batman RIP, where he went against what many readers thought was the devil himself, but eventually it is discovered he was a Wayne ancestor that had made a deal with devil for longer life. batman was thought to be the dead after that encounter, but we learned he survived, and went on to help the heroes in the Final Crisis, where he was shot with a Darkseid weapon called the Omega Sanction. It didnt ? him, but it sent him back in time, to relive his life as Batman in different eras. If youve ever seen a TV show called quantum leap, its kinda like that. he jumps around a lot in different times. As of right now, he has returned to the present.

Jonn was killed in an ambush by a bunch of bad guys during the beginning of Final Crisis.

Aquaman died sometime after the event Infinite Crisis. I believe he was trying to help another Aquaman from another universe take his place.

both jonn and aqua came back to life after a major event called the Blackest Night. they were 2 of the 12 characters that were resuscitated, still for unknown reasons. that story is developing in a story called Brightest Day.

as far GL, Coast City was detroyed by the Cyborg Superman (one of the 4 fake supermen who came after his death) you can read about it in The Return of Superman. seeing his city get bombed was the final straw for hal jordan and it let fear get into him. The entity parallax lives off fear and eventually consumed him, turning him into a bad guy for a while. hal jordan as parallax caused a lot of problems and killed a bunch of green lanterns, includng sinestro, which is why batman didnt trust him in Rebirth. eventually, he was able to conquer it and the Spectre, Gods spirit of vengeance, took hal jordan as a host so he could atone for his sins. From then o nJordan plots to see how he can come back to life. Rebirth takes from there.

Secret Origin is his very origin, has nothing to do with the stuff i mentioned, its just an updated retelling. good read though. make sure u read it b4 the movie comes out.
  • -Karl-
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

This sheds some more light on this deep as ? universe.

Blackest Night is ? so far. I'm glad I chose Green Lantern to read into. Seems like the right choice.

Secret Origin is on its way. I had an idea the movie would be based on it. Kinda like the animated "First Flight" I guess.

I was livid when J'onn died he's on of my favourite non-main characters.

Rebirth was kinda confusing too because I skipped the other stories. I was wondering where this cyborg superman came from. I get it now.

It was cool when Batman was being a ? the Hal because he didnt trust him then Hal just turns around and slaps him to the ground.
  • earth two superman
    edited November 2010
    Options
    read an issue called final crisis: requiem. its Jonnz funeral and its a great tribute to the character.
  • -Karl-
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Cool. I'll check it out.
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Over the past 2 weeks I've been getting ALOT of Batman's stuff. Used to be an X-Man reader in the 200's-320's. Also went and got Cable's 1st full series. Gotta say that Batman is the ? . I've been going off of the other thread on what to get, then research with wiki to find some sense of order. I'm about to start on No Man's Land Cataclysm and Crisis On Infinite Earths.
  • earth two superman
    edited November 2010
    Options
    crisis is a separate early event. but read cataclysm before No Man's.

Check out Bruce Wayne: Murderer and the sequel Bruce Wayne: Fugitive too.
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    batman was thought to be the dead after that encounter, but we learned he survived, and went on to help the heroes in the Final Crisis, where he was shot with a Darkseid weapon called the Omega Sanction. It didnt ? him, but it sent him back in time, to relive his life as Batman in different eras.

And this will be covered in "The Return Of Bruce Wayne" right?

51VytOpQpxL._SS500_.jpg
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^^^^Maybe the trade but those are the single shots of each issues cover
    Yeah batman was thought to be killed in final crisis but was transported back in time. The return of bruce wayne series is the ? and explains it all. just caopped issue 6 and it was that deal. Blackest night is the ? made me rediscover my love for DC that i lost back in the 90s. But if you like Blackest night you'll love brightest day. All i'ma say is the latest issue was Titled "Dark Knight, white lantern".
    Fak'n Awesome.
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    ^^^^Maybe the trade but those are the single shots of each issues cover
    Yeah batman was thought to be killed in final crisis but was transported back in time. The return of bruce wayne series is the ? and explains it all. just caopped issue 6 and it was that deal. Blackest night is the ? made me rediscover my love for DC that i lost back in the 90s. But if you like Blackest night you'll love brightest day. All i'ma say is the latest issue was Titled "Dark Knight, white lantern".
    Fak'n Awesome.

Sounds trill. I'm definately getting Brightest Day. Blackest Night is sick so far.

I only cop the Graphic Novels cos I'm new to the game and it's all too confusing at the moment.
  • robdaze151
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah trades help you get caught up but once you do that you should start working on singular issues if you have a reliable comic store. trades always come out 1-2 years later and usually cost an arm and a leg
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah trades help you get caught up but once you do that you should start working on singular issues if you have a reliable comic store. trades always come out 1-2 years later and usually cost an arm and a leg

Yeah, I want to do that. I just don't know where to start. lol.
  • robdaze151
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Brightest day is still going strong I think they're on #14. check it out it's worth copping all if you've already read blackest night
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Brightest day is still going strong I think they're on #14. check it out it's worth copping all if you've already read blackest night

Is it still possible to get it from issue #1?

I'm gonna check out the comic book store in my city on the weekend. There is only 1 I know of.
  • robdaze151
    edited December 2010
    Options
    wow that sucks.
    yeah should be in the back issues by now
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    How much do you pay for single issues?
  • earth two superman
    edited December 2010
    Options
    return of bruce wayne, i warn you, can be very confusing. it coincides with the Batman and Robin book (as in what bruce does in one of his past lives, directly affects a key issue)
    51WJEqdjofL._SS500_.jpg
    51RQUoI-8zL._SS500_.jpg
    i think u may need for Vol 3 to arrive to read the story when Batman officially returns to gotham. i would say read RoBW then get to BR Vol 3
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've got alot to read.
  • earth two superman
    edited December 2010
    Options
    and youve just covered Batman and GL. the DC Universe is huge, and IMO, better than Marvel.
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    and youve just covered Batman and GL. the DC Universe is huge, and IMO, better than Marvel.

Co-sign. I havnt read much Marvel but the DC characters are just alot more interesting to me.

Marvel just seems too cartoonish and unrelatable to me.
  • robdaze151
    edited December 2010
    Options

I'ma have to call shenanigans on that one buddy. DC has it's story lines from time to time that are very compelling but marvel has much more interesting characters and storylines overall.
  • earth two superman
    edited December 2010
    Options
    name a few in the last 10 yrs worth reading besides Civil War. The onyl characters i care about in Marvel are Spider-Man, Punisher, and Captain America
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I don't know Earth.Outside of the Justice League originals,DC is wack.I mean X-men ? on the Justice League and none of them have the solo following that the Justice League does except Wolverine.I mean Aquaman is a big enough L for DC Universe that trumps any thing positive about DC.I can only comment on the 90s though as i have not been into comics of this age.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    -Karl- wrote: »
    Co-sign. I havnt read much Marvel but the DC characters are just alot more interesting to me.

Marvel just seems too cartoonish and unrelatable to me.

Funny seeing as how Batman -the most down to earth character in DC- has a lot of cartoonish characters alone to fill the entire Marvel Universe.DC has always been the perfect none flawed golden boy age of comics.Batman is built as if he was straight out of Marvel and so are the Watchmen.I did not even know they were from DC.