From a C- Student to an A+ Student

Options
face down @$$ up
face down @$$ up Members Posts: 53
edited January 2011 in Growing Pains
I have had problems in school since probably the 5th grade. I always made it by the skin of my teeth. Now I'm in college and ? is harder than ever. The thing is, I'm extremely smart. But I can never get it right when it comes to academics. I was told a few years ago the I suffer from ADHD, which explains why I can never finish anything. Has anyone here ever done a complete 180 and made themselves into an A student? If so, what did you do? HELP!!!!

Comments

• G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ? hard b...i never studied throughout elementary and high school and made good grades...cheated my way thru juco, and now ? is ? up at the university...

i believe i might have an attention disorder too, but college teachers is overrated as ? ...
  • Kid Dynasty
    Kid Dynasty Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i was just lazy, but i payed attention enough so that i got atleast a B on my test
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Man this the ? I go through with math. That is literally a subject I could truly give no ? about. But I gotta pass it to graduate so I gotta take that L. If I manage to get outta this term with a 70 and pass I'm getting a tutor for next term eff this man
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I went from a mediocre student to a good one by starting to read a lot (which made me ambitious), and by finding a subject that really interested me.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    yeah I was diagnosed w/ add when i was younger. never really affected me in any course other than math. Equations and ? are boring and I will zone out in a minute. you just have to train yourself to focus. remove all possible distractions on your person and sit at the front of the class. I would actually try my hardest to stare at the teacher and mouth everyword as they said it. Sure it's embarrassing when people catch you but fak it. It helped me I graduated double major 3.2 gpa from CSU doing that, Hope it helps.

P.S get a tutor they're not just for dummies
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I have had problems in school since probably the 5th grade. I always made it by the skin of my teeth. Now I'm in college and ? is harder than ever. The thing is, I'm extremely smart. But I can never get it right when it comes to academics. I was told a few years ago the I suffer from ADHD, which explains why I can never finish anything. Has anyone here ever done a complete 180 and made themselves into an A student? If so, what did you do? HELP!!!!

The easiest way to reverse course is by learning what type of learner you are. The unemployment office usually does learning disability tests free of charge, so go see about one of those to see if something isn't wrong. If the unemployment office doesn't, yellowpages.com and see what adult learning centers are present in your area and see if they'll do them.

After figuring all of that out, it's easy to turn around from there: if you're a visual learner, write the notes down repeatedly until the information is learned. If you're an audible learner, record everything and listen to it repeatedly.

Just understand that the type varies from course to course in some cases: I'm audible in Literature and Law classes, but visual with math and history.
  • yahh
    yahh Members Posts: 3
    edited December 2010
    Options
    one word : Ratemyproffessor.com i think thats the correct way to spell it. Anyways just google it, and the right spelling will show up. On this site you can look at reviews of proffessors from other students, and see how their teaching style is, how many tests you will have to take. Basically it's like a cheat sheet to getting the best grade effectively. And sometimes teachers get horrible ratings and those are the teachers you might wanna drop before the semester starts up.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I had this problem which is why I didn't go to college until my late 20s

I was actually in TAG (talented and gifted) programs my entire time in grade school (from 1st grade to 12th)

but I was bored as ? , and as I got older, my grades declined

I barely made it out of high school

the problem was that education wasn't seen as worth a ? where I was living at, too many ? was hustling and getting money

and too many dudes with hoop dreams was bottlenecking the opportunity to use a basketball to get dough

I eventually realized from struggling as an adult the value of an education.....................the key is figuring out how the schoolwork you do translates into your real world dreams

once you figure that the schoolwork actually gives you knowledge you need for your personal goals, then it becomes easier to stay motivated

math classes become relevant when they start talmbout money and business......................

also a lot of other classes are based on the relationship you build with professors................you need mentors to guide you to keep you successful

even the oldheads like me got mentors to get thru college
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i went through the same thing. 4rm elementary 2 high school, i rarely studied or took home a book.
    i tried that ? my 1st week of college and i ? up bad.
    i got my ? together and for the first time, i actually had to study and concentrate.
    my GPA in college is a 3.2 and i DEFINITELY wasn't doing that in h.s.
    anyone can do it, as long as u stay focused..........