If U Wanna Send Tracks To An Artist...

Options
G.R.I.P. Money $$$
G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Fresh Produce
how exactly do u go about this...especially if u using fl studio and somethin like acid pro..

if u never talked to the artist b4, should u just type up a lil mini resume, and should u outline prices and ? , or just let him use it free and hope they decide to pay u??

like do u first send them an mp3 and if they like it and contact u, split the mixer tracks and send it??

and if u do split the mixer tracks, how do u get that in a manageable size for an email??(yahoo and gmail only allow 25 mb i believe)

i know i seem like a total "newb" here lol, but im tryna learn ya dig!!

Comments

• sosesp
    sosesp Members Posts: 80
    edited December 2010
    Options
    yo i used to just send tracks to people just for them to get on the tracks, thats how i got joints with dipset,streetfam,stack bundles and others..problem is ? dont like to pay..especially if its just going on a mixtape. now i would send a mp3 tagged up but not fully tagged, thats about a minute and a half long and see if they get at u about using it, if they do find out what the intention for the tracks is, album or mixtape, if album then negotiate your price, if mixtape then its on u.

now as far as breaking down the session goes i know gmail doesnt allow to send files that big, id most likely put the session on cd and send to them, wav format is best if the people use different software than you do.
  • money mob
    money mob Members Posts: 420
    edited December 2010
    Options
    One word:

#Twitter
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited December 2010
    Options
    first off, do not shop beats until they have been copyrighted. (if you need to know why just google kia shine, drake and bmi and you'll see what i'm gettin at) next thing, get you a gmail account asap for all your business purposes. and like money mob hinted at, twitter is your best bet if you're trying to find out who to shop beats to. an identifying beat tag is sufficient, i don't think it's necessary to tag your track every 15 seconds. that ? will make a ? not even listen to your whole ? . and like you said yourself, considering you've got plenty tracks on deck and you can make more at your will, send people that you truly want to work with as many beats as you can for free, that's a real relationship builder. this ? is really not rocket science though bruh, it's all about who you know...so if you don't know anybody that matters, you have to make yourself matter. don't be a wuss about it and don't be a pest either.
  • jrbtheproducer
    jrbtheproducer Members Posts: 82
    edited December 2010
    Options
    dont even worry about the tracking out big files to them, they gotta like the beat first and want to record to it, then when they need that they will hit you about that

always tag your ? but not through the whole beat, i always put a tag at the beginning so if they dont pay at least you are getting your name out there a lil bit

nobody tries to pay lol, even dudes you think will have no problem paying you smh
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited February 2011
    Options
    dont even worry about the tracking out big files to them, they gotta like the beat first and want to record to it, then when they need that they will hit you about that

always tag your ? but not through the whole beat, i always put a tag at the beginning so if they dont pay at least you are getting your name out there a lil bit

nobody tries to pay lol, even dudes you think will have no problem paying you smh

i was thinkin about that

seein how available folks make they're work online,how much payment is actually being received???

are dudes jus rippin beats and rappin over them with the tags and all???
  • Lee thol
    Lee thol Members Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options
    does anyone know of any good beat making software? O_o

I tried out fruity loops it was okay a little complicated but I found a software at http://www.squidoo.com/dopebeats it was a little easier to use. I need some ideas?
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    money mob wrote: »
    One word:

#Twitter

from my own personal experience ^^this^^

I was watchin one of Starlito's (who jus happens to be 1 of my fav. artist) videos on youtube & @ the end of it he had his twitter

& I lucked out, cuz when I went to his twitter he had tweeted his email where to send beats & I did

I sent some in Oct. 09' & then in Dec. he sent me an email back sayin he used my beat for his mixtape

he jus told me he used one but, when the tape dropped I saw my name by 2 songs

Starlito_I_Still_Love_You_Live_From_The_Back_Of_C-back-large.jpg

& seein how this was a free tape, I didn't get paid but, I could care less

cuz how many people can say they've got to work w/ one of their fav. artist

& on top of all that, I read an interview where he said "Live From The Back Of Class" was his fav. song on the tape
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »
    from my own personal experience ^^this^^

I was watchin one of Starlito's (who jus happens to be 1 of my fav. artist) videos on youtube & @ the end of it he had his twitter

& I lucked out, cuz when I went to his twitter he had tweeted his email where to send beats & I did

I sent some in Oct. 09' & then in Dec. he sent me an email back sayin he used my beat for his mixtape

he jus told me he used one but, when the tape dropped I saw my name by 2 songs

Starlito_I_Still_Love_You_Live_From_The_Back_Of_C-back-large.jpg

& seein how this was a free tape, I didn't get paid but, I could care less

cuz how many people can say they've got to work w/ one of their fav. artist

& on top of all that, I read an interview where he said "Live From The Back Of Class" was his fav. song on the tape

Madd props to you bro.

Im the same way about the money thing. Most unheard of producers go through this.

I dont really care about the money at first. Just give me the album credit. The money is going to come once you establish a buzz.

Lex Luger said he didnt know about "Hard In The Paint" until he heard it on the radio. Now he is alll over the radio.
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    Options
    To go deeper into my #Twitter answer, you basically have to put your music where the artists are. You have to GO where artists are. If Jadakiss is performing in your town at a club, you make sure you or someone on your team is there to get him your music. have CDs or flash drives on deck. Basically, you are going to have to spend money to get heard. Its all apart of hustling. Put yourself in the middle of where you want to ultimately be. With that being said, most of these ? are on Twitter. Make sure you send them ? publicly and privately. Tag and copyright your ? . Go out and meet people. I met this cat who knew a platinum selling producer. I made it so that I could politic with them ? . Long story short, I got an album placement this summer. Another good thing to do is get familiar with your peers in the field. Know what artist got the buzz right now, who is on the come up musically, what producers are winning right now. And lastly, ? with everybody! You never know who knows who that can help get you where you need to go.
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    Options
    And lastly, ? with everybody! You never know who knows who that can help get you where you need to go.

^^^ hell yeah

biggest joint i've made so far was made possible by networking with someone here at Fresh Produce no lie

kinda crazy, i dont wanna type the story yet cause it isnt out lol
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    edited February 2011
    Options
    so i wanna copyright within this next week...

i wanna copy right some songs and some beats..

do i just copy right it all at the same time..

and does it cost a certain amount everytime i copyright a group of songs/beats or is this just a 1 time payment type thing?
  • drematic
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Madd props to you bro.

Im the same way about the money thing. Most unheard of producers go through this.

I dont really care about the money at first. Just give me the album credit. The money is going to come once you establish a buzz.

Lex Luger said he didnt know about "Hard In The Paint" until he heard it on the radio. Now he is alll over the radio.

preciate that
  • reallymelo
    reallymelo Members Posts: 7
    edited February 2011
    Options
    make sure you register with PR company too... like bmi, ascap, sesac, etc..
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Damn, twitter go that hard with the artists?
  • jrbtheproducer
    edited February 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Damn, twitter go that hard with the artists?

yeah some dudes post their email to send beats, you gotta hit when they post though cause ? gets full quick if its a big artist lol
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    edited February 2011
    Options
    aight i clicked that copyright lank but it didnt quite answer one of my questions...

say i got a 5 track ep i and i pay 35 to copyright it...now if i do another 5 track ep a week later am i gon have to pay another fee, or is this fee gon come wit some papers and ? that allows me not to have to pay every time i wanna get a lil sum copyrighted??
  • drematic
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nope, gotta pay every time mane
  • ShencotheMC
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Alright I know we talking about beats and whatnot but what if you just an artist? Can I just send somebody a track and let it be done or do I have to patent and copyright the song too?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yeah some dudes post their email to send beats, you gotta hit when they post though cause ? gets full quick if its a big artist lol

Damn guess Ima have to get an account for my music
  • ShencotheMC
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bump because my question was never answered
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    how exactly do u go about this...especially if u using fl studio and somethin like acid pro..

if u never talked to the artist b4, should u just type up a lil mini resume, and should u outline prices and ? , or just let him use it free and hope they decide to pay u??

like do u first send them an mp3 and if they like it and contact u, split the mixer tracks and send it??

and if u do split the mixer tracks, how do u get that in a manageable size for an email??(yahoo and gmail only allow 25 mb i believe)

i know i seem like a total "newb" here lol, but im tryna learn ya dig!!

Get the artists EMAIL address
    let them kno that you KNOW theyre busy but you want them to checc out your traccs when they get some free time
    TWITTER is a great tool becuz then you can ask the artist personally for their email and let them know when you are gonna send the traccs
    (these are artists.... their emails are FLOODED with emails from producers famous and local... they won't even notice your email in their inbox among the hundred other messages they get sent daily)

you should introduce yourself to the artist (briefly)
    let them know who youve produced for
    send them links of your work (youtube, myspace, soundclicc)

send them the mp3's of beats you think they would be interested in

if they are interested in the beat and want the "tracc out" of the beat, this is what you should do:

split the mixer traccs and export (.wav format) them into a file.... then highlight all the tracced out instruments and create .ZIP or .RAR file

all the instruments will be compressed into an archive

then you upload the .ZIP or .RAR archive into a file sharing program (megupload, hulkshare, mediafire) and THEN you email the LINK to the artist

thats how i do it bruh.... I'm sure there are other ways but I didn't see anyone posting useful info for you
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Alright I know we talking about beats and whatnot but what if you just an artist? Can I just send somebody a track and let it be done or do I have to patent and copyright the song too?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

What are you asking? To hook up wth other rappers for collabos or something?

Overall, anything that has your own original creativity should be copywritten.

.....unless you are just doing it "for the love".
  • money mob
    edited February 2011
    Options
    One major keypoint I'd like to add here:

Make sure your tracks is something that fits that artist you are pursuing or make sure they rapped over a track that is in the same pocket as yours.

I was on soundclick the other day and one beatmaker said: "Busta would RIPPP this one!" and it was on some ole cheesy techno synth type wack ? .

I could be wrong but I dont think that type of beat is something Busta would spit on (IMO). Anyway, know the artist you are trying to work with or your efforts will be just a waste of time.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Get the artists EMAIL address
    let them kno that you KNOW theyre busy but you want them to checc out your traccs when they get some free time
    TWITTER is a great tool becuz then you can ask the artist personally for their email and let them know when you are gonna send the traccs
    (these are artists.... their emails are FLOODED with emails from producers famous and local... they won't even notice your email in their inbox among the hundred other messages they get sent daily)

you should introduce yourself to the artist (briefly)
    let them know who youve produced for
    send them links of your work (youtube, myspace, soundclicc)

send them the mp3's of beats you think they would be interested in

if they are interested in the beat and want the "tracc out" of the beat, this is what you should do:

split the mixer traccs and export (.wav format) them into a file.... then highlight all the tracced out instruments and create .ZIP or .RAR file

all the instruments will be compressed into an archive

then you upload the .ZIP or .RAR archive into a file sharing program (megupload, hulkshare, mediafire) and THEN you email the LINK to the artist

thats how i do it bruh.... I'm sure there are other ways but I didn't see anyone posting useful info for you

Damn I wish you woulda dropped that nugget before my ? decided to tweet song links to ?