Religion is a social construct with no basis.

Options
Happy-Go-Lucky
Happy-Go-Lucky Members Posts: 22
edited February 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Honestly, how can there be various forms of religion that all claim some sort of truth in their beliefs? Not to mention certain forms of religion have multiple divisions (Christianity being the prime example). Religion is an institution aimed at exploitation. I understand religion does a lot of good for society by bringing people together and forming communities for upbringing, but it really contradicts itself.

Spirituality without strings is the most satisfying freedom.

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The issues of religion does present a dilemma; that all various types of religions do claim to be the truth. But is that the only way to look at it? What if there is one "true" religion surrounded by many "pretender" religions? It's quite possible for all religions to be wrong, but they can't all be right. And as far as religions exploiting people, I would beg to differ. People exploit people. They just happen to use religion as a means for exploitation.

"You talking 'bout an ambush?! I just ambushed you with a cup of coffee!" - Sam from Ronin.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    The issues of religion does present a dilemma; that all various types of religions do claim to be the truth. But is that the only way to look at it? What if there is one "true" religion surrounded by many "pretender" religions? It's quite possible for all religions to be wrong, but they can't all be right. And as far as religions exploiting people, I would beg to differ. People exploit people. They just happen to use religion as a means for exploitation.
    "You talking 'bout an ambush?! I just ambushed you with a cup of coffee!" - Sam from Ronin.

True.......
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    People exploit people.

People invented religion.

What's the problem here?
  • Happy-Go-Lucky
    Happy-Go-Lucky Members Posts: 22
    edited February 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »

I agree with the point that people are the foundation of exploitation but as mentioned people invented religion as an easy means to exploit people in the name of the church.

Or maybe it is as Gandhi said, "religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian." Perhaps all religions lead to the same purpose, different roads to the same destination.

I feel that institutionalized religion places restraints on one's life and their belief in ? - or a higher being.
  • alissowack
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I agree with the point that people are the foundation of exploitation but as mentioned people invented religion as an easy means to exploit people in the name of the church.

Or maybe it is as Gandhi said, "religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian." Perhaps all religions lead to the same purpose, different roads to the same destination.

I feel that institutionalized religion places restraints on one's life and their belief in ? - or a higher being.

Well, people do invent things but it doesn't mean that the thing created is exploitative in it's nature. I'm sure those who are "religious" never intend to use their religion to exploit as well as those who do use it for that reason. It's like there is a "good and bad" way to practice it.
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Religion is exploitative in its nature. It trains children to surrender rationality to magic, it always tells adults how to live their sex lives, and it always promotes a social hierarchy.
  • alissowack
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    Religion is exploitative in its nature. It trains children to surrender rationality to magic, it always tells adults how to live their sex lives, and it always promotes a social hierarchy.

Religion can't force you to do anything. People that hold to religious beliefs can force you (whether they succeed or not is a different story). I am yet to see how by just simply reading the the text of any religious book and you are "magically" converted or the text puts you in a submission hold.

Now it's quite possible people can hold to oppressive and aggressive perspectives and assumptions and they just happen to read a particular religious book and take it to heart. But apart from the books and teachings, religion can do nothing.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    imo religion = to each his own.

if u need it to give ur life meaning and it gives u personal comfort OR u realize its all huge myth. whatever floats ur boat.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    "Religion is a social construct with no basis "

Anymore.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It depends on what you define as religion. What I see people here doing is taking a cosmopolitan concept and assigning definitive absolute markers to it. Which is really impossible to do.

Somebody said religion exploits people by nature. I would ask what religion and what is this nature of religion you speak of?

I know plenty of people who have been elevated by religion. I know plenty people who help others become better because of religion. So that response doesn't hold weight. The typical response of anti-religion people is to identify some madness in a religious claimant and affix it to the religion. Asinine. The validity of anything is the soundness of the constructs and principles and what it produces. How many people were killed under Communist rule? Does that take away from the soundness or lack of those principles? No.

Ironically, historically speaking, the two groups of people who benefited the most from "religion" and advanced society the most in the last few thousand years are now laying the best case against religion. Jews and Arabs. Neither one of them would be anything to speak of, if it were not for "religion". Both were a bunch of savages. Religion if practiced properly brings an orderly, discipline, peaceful society that is necessary for cultivation and growth. Jewish people are eminent because they understand this better than most. Even the leading atheist and thinkers of their community received the benefit of growing up in a religious enviroment. A mind that is at peace is a powerful thing. They are not eminent because of any inherent qualities. They are eminent because the follow certain rules better than most. You ever seen a Jewish person begging for a job? Down at the unemployment office? Begging people to clean up their neighborhoods?

How you gonna look at the black community and say we don't need religion? We don't have religion. We have chaos and ? masquerading as religious. Anybody that suggest black people don't need order, discipline, rules and regulation is an enemy and needs to sit down and shut the ? up.

With all due respect.........
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »

Yeah. Maybe if people regulated their sex lives we wouldn't be dying of AIDS, contracting venereal diseases and having baby mommas with 5 different daddie's further disintegrating families and destroying communities with irresponsible behaviour. Yeah free sex is definitely the move.

SMHATBANWATFAA
  • cyber62
    cyber62 Members Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Christianity is based on a blood covenant between ? and mankind, that can never be broken or violated. To learn and understand this covenant, visit www.deathandlife.org
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Keep yourselves in the love of ? , looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. Jude 1:21

PEACE