G.I. Joe and Transformers

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    WTF that GI Joe movie was a pure joke compared to the cartoon. I still haven't figured out who the ? Adobsee was supposed to be. It was just bad and not even close. Cobra Commander and Destro were wack as ? . The 1st transformers was good, they just dropped the ball with the 2nd movie.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Adobesse=Heavy duty
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    gi joe - no. awful

transformers 1 - YES. a borderline classic IMO.

Transformers 2 - NO. godawful movie. possibly one of the worst sequels ever.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Isn't Scarlett Duke's girl? And later attracted to Snake Eyes? How did Ripcord get into the equation?

Killed off Cover Girl as if she was just a simple MP.

Cobra Commander's origin is way off - although I think his true origin would be too deep for non-fans of the old series.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol yeah T/S you are wilding thinking that they did a good job with GI Joe. Don't simplify the impact GI Joe had on a generation. Until this thread, most of us even forgot they did a remake. After I saw the movie as a kid, I was running around screaming "Cobra-lalalalalalalalala" for months.

GI Joe made kids WANT to be a GI Joe. To me that is what makes a remake "good." When you watched these cartoons as a kid you WANTED to relive every moment of the cartoon as your favorite character. I don't care what kind of special effects you can throw in the movie. I don't care what ground breaking hollywood cast you bring together. If the director cannot make me relive my childhood, or make a generation of kids say "oh ? I need to go home and research this story" then they FAILED.

That's it. Point blank. No argument needed.

It didn't spawn any GI Joe cartoons. No GI Joe video games. No GI Joe lunchboxes. Nothing. That's called a failure in every sense of the word. Directors need to stop making movies just to make movies. Its disgusting.
  • ex-soldier
    ex-soldier Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Neither of them did justice to the original stories. They might have seemed good to people who did not follow them growing up, but to fans, no.

That aside, they were entertaining movies.

C/S......................
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    lol yeah T/S you are wilding thinking that they did a good job with GI Joe. Don't simplify the impact GI Joe had on a generation. Until this thread, most of us even forgot they did a remake. After I saw the movie as a kid, I was running around screaming "Cobra-lalalalalalalalala" for months.

GI Joe made kids WANT to be a GI Joe. To me that is what makes a remake "good." When you watched these cartoons as a kid you WANTED to relive every moment of the cartoon as your favorite character. I don't care what kind of special effects you can throw in the movie. I don't care what ground breaking hollywood cast you bring together. If the director cannot make me relive my childhood, or make a generation of kids say "oh ? I need to go home and research this story" then they FAILED.

That's it. Point blank. No argument needed.

It didn't spawn any GI Joe cartoons. No GI Joe video games. No GI Joe lunchboxes. Nothing. That's called a failure in every sense of the word. Directors need to stop making movies just to make movies. Its disgusting.

Exactly, any kid that grew up in the 1980's and watched the G.I. Joe Animated Series and Movie as well as had the action figures which were the best Toys due to their flexibility (He man and other toys had nothing on G.I. Joe). The Movie did not live up at all. When I watched "Transformers Part 1" the effects alone brought me back to my childhood, Hearing Optimus Prime's Voice brought be back to my childhood. And though "Part II" wasn't the best sequel, it wasn't as bad as "G.I. Joe" movie. I also think "Transformers 3" will end up redeeming the series. But for "G.I. Joe" The casting was not good, the story was weak. I know it was an orgin story but they didn't do a good job. The Critics agree as it got worst reviews even than "Transformers".

They spent all that money on budget and the effects were not on the level of "Transformers". Say what you want about the "Transformers" series, the film only made the brand more popular, it sprung up new cartoons and new toy lines. 70's and 80's babies who are now adults, their kids are now in love with Transformers. G.I. Joe is not on the same status as it was in the 80's and this movie is why. THEY FAILED, period. And I hope they fire everyone and reboot the entire series. What's sad is this is the perfect era for a G.I. Movie, like someone said, "Expendables" is more G.I. Joe than G.I. Joe movie and even the military in "Transformers" feels more like G.I. Joe than that movie. Sure they had some of the characters down but the movie was not good. What upsets me is G.I. Joe in the 80's was more popular than Transformers, that the impact it had. Not anymore. Transformers is now a more popular franchise and the films are one of the biggest reasons why.

Oh and for the record:

220px-250px-GIJoeMovie1987.jpg

220px-Transformers-movieposter-west.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Transformers and G.I Joe Live Action Movies. When Duke and Opitmus died, it actually hurt me as a child, that's the emotional power these cartoons had on a child of the 80's.
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    imma roll with Transformers
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The original is better than the movie version.

i wish they couldve looked at the scripts of the cartoons and made it based off those instead of going overboard

i wonder why in the hell..marlon wayans was in G.I.Joe?no matter how high ? got some black person gotta be the sterotype
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • Biggwillie
    Biggwillie Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Could you imagine seeing Gung ? and ? shipwreck on the bigscreen?

Comon son, you know just as well as I do, they woulda looked ? as ? , I'd rather the Joe's look like they are actually in military reg'ed gear versus a bunch of back up singers for the village people...

It felt like an episode of GI Joe, I took it for what it was worth, ya'll acting like the cartoons were screen written masterpieces, I strongly suggest ya'll go back and rewatch some episodes and remmeber how corny it really got from time to time, I think they did the show justice with the movie... It's real people trying to emulate cartoon and comic book characters, what did you expect? The Dark Knight?
    Nolan Got ya'll spoiled for real, how ya'll gon go to a GI Joe movie and complain about how unrealistic it is...

Thank you Jamel. My whole gripe is how far off base the movie was. Now if you look back at both of the cartoon the overall plot was the same every day. G.I. Joe vs Cobra, Autobots vs Decepticons. Thats wast it. Different characters and different location every day but same plot. We as kids didnt care we just wanted to see that action. I will admit that some of the story line in G.I. Joe was not the same as the cartoon like the Baroness. I will give you that. But what was "terrible" "garbage" or "trash" about the overall plot of G.I. Joe vs Cobra. When I watched G.I. Joe 98% of the characters were like I remembered from the cartoon. Transformers how ever was a good movie and got good reviews from people who wanted to see a "good movie". Not fans of the orignal series. If they had the disclaimer of "Micheal Bey's Transformers" then I couldnt argue because its his adaptation but to just put it out there like this is the Transformer story line just like you remember from the 80's is misleading. The Transfomer movie was basicly Megatron vs the humans. This human has a chip or something inside him that is valuable and Megatron want it. I dont remember that at all from the cartoon.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I liked G.I. Joe better than Transformers . Transformers 2 was just terrible.

And honestly, I don't even remember the storylines all like that. My brothers were into GI Joe.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Biggwillie wrote: »
    Thank you Jamel. My whole gripe is how far off base the movie was. Now if you look back at both of the cartoon the overall plot was the same every day. G.I. Joe vs Cobra, Autobots vs Decepticons. Thats wast it. Different characters and different location every day but same plot. We as kids didnt care we just wanted to see that action. I will admit that some of the story line in G.I. Joe was not the same as the cartoon like the Baroness. I will give you that. But what was "terrible" "garbage" or "trash" about the overall plot of G.I. Joe vs Cobra. When I watched G.I. Joe 98% of the characters were like I remembered from the cartoon. Transformers how ever was a good movie and got good reviews from people who wanted to see a "good movie". Not fans of the orignal series. If they had the disclaimer of "Micheal Bey's Transformers" then I couldnt argue because its his adaptation but to just put it out there like this is the Transformer story line just like you remember from the 80's is misleading. The Transfomer movie was basicly Megatron vs the humans. This human has a chip or something inside him that is valuable and Megatron want it. I dont remember that at all from the cartoon.

As kids, we might have only cared for the action, but the stories stuck with us and that is what turned me off most. Some of the story lines that they changed didn't need to be changed. Same with Clash of the Titans. What was changed didn't need to be. As I said, from the outside looking in, G.I. Joe was more entertaining. I left the movies very disappointed because of the changes made to the characters and other aspects. But I went back to watch it again with an open mind and tried to look at it from the point of a stand alone movie and not as I remember it as a kid, and I enjoyed it.

Transformers was hit and miss. And we know Jazz had to be the one to die - he was black.

The only movie that stuck true recently was A-Team.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i wish these movies was more exciting
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    As kids, we might have only cared for the action, but the stories stuck with us and that is what turned me off most. Some of the story lines that they changed didn't need to be changed. Same with Clash of the Titans. What was changed didn't need to be. As I said, from the outside looking in, G.I. Joe was more entertaining. I left the movies very disappointed because of the changes made to the characters and other aspects. But I went back to watch it again with an open mind and tried to look at it from the point of a stand alone movie and not as I remember it as a kid, and I enjoyed it.

Transformers was hit and miss. And we know Jazz had to be the one to die - he was black.

The only movie that stuck true recently was A-Team.

that was some utter bs right there!!!! man u talk about sumbody who was ? !!!!!!!!
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Exactly, any kid that grew up in the 1980's and watched the G.I. Joe Animated Series and Movie as well as had the action figures which were the best Toys due to their flexibility (He man and other toys had nothing on G.I. Joe). The Movie did not live up at all. When I watched "Transformers Part 1" the effects alone brought me back to my childhood, Hearing Optimus Prime's Voice brought be back to my childhood. And though "Part II" wasn't the best sequel, it wasn't as bad as "G.I. Joe" movie. I also think "Transformers 3" will end up redeeming the series. But for "G.I. Joe" The casting was not good, the story was weak. I know it was an orgin story but they didn't do a good job. The Critics agree as it got worst reviews even than "Transformers".

They spent all that money on budget and the effects were not on the level of "Transformers". Say what you want about the "Transformers" series, the film only made the brand more popular, it sprung up new cartoons and new toy lines. 70's and 80's babies who are now adults, their kids are now in love with Transformers. G.I. Joe is not on the same status as it was in the 80's and this movie is why. THEY FAILED, period. And I hope they fire everyone and reboot the entire series. What's sad is this is the perfect era for a G.I. Movie, like someone said, "Expendables" is more G.I. Joe than G.I. Joe movie and even the military in "Transformers" feels more like G.I. Joe than that movie. Sure they had some of the characters down but the movie was not good. What upsets me is G.I. Joe in the 80's was more popular than Transformers, that the impact it had. Not anymore. Transformers is now a more popular franchise and the films are one of the biggest reasons why.

Oh and for the record:

220px-250px-GIJoeMovie1987.jpg

220px-Transformers-movieposter-west.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Transformers and G.I Joe Live Action Movies. When Duke and Opitmus died, it actually hurt me as a child, that's the emotional power these cartoons had on a child of the 80's.

correction dawg, duke didn't die. he only went into a coma. actually optimus is the reason why they didn't ? duke. after the backlash they got got from parents, and distraught kids after watchin prime die, they opted to only put duke in a coma. that wud've been too much on us durin that time. actually, i thought it was EPIC. i was in shock & awe that he died. hell, i was in shock & awe that they started killin folks PERIOD! lol
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    G.I Joe sucked and both Tranformers were abominations.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The G.I. Joe movie kind of kept the spirit of the cartoon, but that's about it. All told, it was a pretty bad movie.

Transformers definitely evoked nostalgia for me, especially with bringing back Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime. That was a genius move.

But it gets kind of iffy after that. I think they just added on too much to it, and I didn't like that the story seemed to be less about the conflict between the Autobots and the Decepticons, and more about how everyone on Earth reacted to it. Plus, I didn't like the designs of the Transformers. Devastator, in particular, was a huge letdown. Seriously, what the ? was THAT supposed to be?

Makes me glad they didn't introduce the Dinobots. That ? would have made my soul burn slow.

Both live action franchises pale in comparison to the animated films that preceeded them some 20-plus years before.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    correction dawg, duke didn't die. he only went into a coma. actually optimus is the reason why they didn't ? duke. after the backlash they got got from parents, and distraught kids after watchin prime die, they opted to only put duke in a coma. that wud've been too much on us durin that time. actually, i thought it was EPIC. i was in shock & awe that he died. hell, i was in shock & awe that they started killin folks PERIOD! lol

When Duke got put into that coma, I was mad, even as a child, because I wanted him to die. A stiffened snake to the heart with significant blood splatter, and all he does is go into a coma. That was like the 2nd or 3rd coma Duke got put into during the cartoon run. The first being during the Pyramid of Darkness mini series/movie.

When Prime died, it sent chills through my body as a kid and the entire theater was silent. My mother laughed. When they were killing all the Autobots, I couldn't believe what I was seeing because they didn't get hit "like that" in the regular cartoon, but I knew they were getting killed because of the graphic nature they were getting murked. I knew there was no coming back from flashing eyes, getting shot in the chest until it explodes, and smoke coming out of the mouth. I think Prowls death was the 2nd worst in the entire movie because you saw the pain on his face. Ironhide getting his head blown off while at point blank range looking up at Megatron was the 1st.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    I think Prowls death was the 2nd worst in the entire movie because you saw the pain on his face.

I remember kids in the theater getting traumatized as ? at that scene. I've never head so many cries of "Mommy, I'm scared!" at one time, before or since.

Ironhide getting his head blown off while at point blank range looking up at Megatron was the 1st.

"Such heroic nonsense!"

I say that scene was one of the coldest, most gangsta moments EVER in film. I remember hearing parents gasping at that.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    When Duke got put into that coma, I was mad, even as a child, because I wanted him to die. A stiffened snake to the heart with significant blood splatter, and all he does is go into a coma. That was like the 2nd or 3rd coma Duke got put into during the cartoon run. The first being during the Pyramid of Darkness mini series/movie.

When Prime died, it sent chills through my body as a kid and the entire theater was silent. My mother laughed. When they were killing all the Autobots, I couldn't believe what I was seeing because they didn't get hit "like that" in the regular cartoon, but I knew they were getting killed because of the graphic nature they were getting murked. I knew there was no coming back from flashing eyes, getting shot in the chest until it explodes, and smoke coming out of the mouth. I think Prowls death was the 2nd worst in the entire movie because you saw the pain on his face. Ironhide getting his head blown off while at point blank range looking up at Megatron was the 1st.

This belongs in the 80's appteciation thread, u forgot this is the michael bay version. Bays version was so bad u got sidetracked.

Mally G - "in the cartoon u had this,u had that, hold up what were we talkin about again?oh yea that garbage."

Look I guess its a matter of prefrence and this is without comparing it 2 the cartoon the movie alone was unbearable to watch. I was completely annoyed throughout thee entire film wondering when the action was gonna start only to be let down by the finale. If this film was considered entertaining in terms of comedy fine, but in no way shape or form was it the action pack flick backed by a fair to good storyline which I "expected" to see. In all honesty ill take the first teenage mutant ninga turtle flick over the transformer remake. Off course nobody expects a 100% adaption but imo it wasnt even close.

Raphael vs foot soldier scene > transformer remake
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options

my ? , u pretty much summed up how EXACTLY i felt lol!!! i was ? to that duke didn't die. i think that would've put gi joe in epic status. b/c i can't figure out how all these mofos are bustin guns, missles, lasers, bombs, and whateva. but nann nunn nada NOBODY is gettin hit!!! not one flesh wound!! ? on both sides wasting their financial resources replacing the vehicles! lol

as for transformers, u was dead on. as soon as megatron busted thru the autobot ship, and yelled "DIE AUTOBOT!", we shoud've known the movie wasn't gonna be ANYTHING like the cartoon series. lol.

prowls death...epic.
    megatron blowin ironhide away...epic.
    prime's death...SUPER EPIC.
    starscream's death...epic mixed wit he had that comin a looooooooong time ago
    ultra magnus blowin the hell up...ehh.not like he wanted the responsibility of carryin the matrix to begin wit
    unicron transforming....SUPREME EPICNESS

bonus epic...

arcee draggin the bodies of the dead autobots, and seeing wheeljack's mangled body....epic shock
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I remember kids in the theater getting traumatized as ? at that scene. I've never head so many cries of "Mommy, I'm scared!" at one time, before or since.

"Such heroic nonsense!"

I say that scene was one of the coldest, most gangsta moments EVER in film. I remember hearing parents gasping at that.

man hell yeah. i almost had megatron under the same umbrella as cobra commander. but that scene alone, shot him to epic coldness. for my ? ironhide *pour a lil engeron patron for that ? *