The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• lucyajones
    lucyajones Members Posts: 25
    Options
    Wish I could vote in favor of Obeezy once more
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So just like that no more about Russia scandal huh
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Russia trolls learned u.s. politics from house of cards lol they were forced to watch the show then troll fb
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-democrats-will-be-blamed-for-premiums-rising-obamacare-csrs
    Trump: I Think Dems ‘Will Be Blamed’ For My Decision To Sabotage O’Care

President Donald Trump on Monday said he thinks Democratic lawmakers will be scapegoated for turmoil in the insurance market kicked off by Trump’s announcement last week that he would end cost-sharing reduction (CSR) payments to insurers.

“I think the Democrats will be blamed for the mess. This is an Obamacare mess,” Trump said at a cabinet meeting.

The President said Congress is working on a “short-term fix” for the turmoil caused by his own move to sabotage Obamacare.

“Obamacare is finished. It’s dead. It’s gone. It’s no longer — don’t — you shouldn’t even mention it. It’s gone. There is no such thing as Obamacare anymore,” Trump said. “When the premiums go up, that has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that we had poor health care delivered poorly, written poorly, approved by the Democrats.”

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated in August, however, that ending CSR payments would drive up premiums for those who benefit from the subsidies.

The White House on Thursday night claimed it was ending the payments because former President Barack Obama’s administration “overstepped the legal boundaries drawn by our Constitution” by making them.

But Trump’s former strategist Steve Bannon on Saturday said the White House ended CSR payments to “blow up” Obamacare.

Bannon also said that his priority in the near future is “a season of war against the GOP establishment.”

Asked about his former top adviser’s remarks, Trump on Monday told reporters that Bannon “is very committed” and that he “can understand how Steve Bannon feels.”

“He’s a friend of mine and he’s very committed to getting things passed,” Trump said. “I mean, look. Despite what the press writes, I have great relationships with actually many senators, but in particular with most Republican senators. But we’re not getting the job done.”

“And I’m not going to blame myself, I’ll be honest,” he added. “They are not getting the job done.”
  • stringer bell
    Options

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-claim-obama-did-not-call-soldiers-families
    Trump Says Obama Didn’t Call Families Of Fallen Soldiers, Quickly Walks It Back

During a press conference on Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump made the dubious claim that former President Barack Obama and other former presidents did not personally call the families of soldiers who died in combat.

Trump quickly walked back the claim when a reporter followed up.

The President first told reporters that he had written letters to the families of soldiers who died in the recent attack in Niger and said he would soon call the families as well. He then claimed that his approach was unique, and that not all past presidents made those calls.

“The traditional way, if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls. A lot of them didn’t make calls,” he said. “I like to call when it’s appropriate, when I think I’m able to do it. They have made the ultimate sacrifice so generally I would say that I like to call. I’m going to be calling them.”

A former aide to Obama quickly pushed back on Trump’s claim, calling it a “lie.”

A reporter followed up with Trump later in the press conference, prompting Trump to walk back his claim and say that he “was told” that Obama didn’t call the families of fallen soldiers.

“I don’t know if he did. No, no. I was told that he didn’t often and a lot of presidents don’t. They write letters,” Trump said.

“President Obama I think probably did sometimes and maybe sometimes he didn’t. I don’t know. That’s what I was told. All I can do is ask my generals,” the President continued. “Other presidents did not call. They’d write letters and some presidents didn’t do anything.”

Trump once again proves he’s a pathological liar...
  • Angeles1son85
    Options

President Trump once joked that Vice President Mike Pence “wants to hang” all ? people, The New Yorker reported Monday.
    The publication also reports that Trump has mocked Pence for his views opposing abortion and LGBTQ rights.
    One Trump campaign staffer also told The New Yorker that Trump used to ask people leaving meetings with Pence, “Did Mike make you pray?"

One source said the president likes to "let Pence know who's boss," according to the report.
    Pence has repeatedly clashed with the LGBTQ community throughout his political career, including his support of an amendment in 2006 that would have defined marriage as being between a man and a woman. He also said at the time that legalizing same-sex marriage would cause a “societal collapse.”
    The vice president has become the target of LGBTQ protests since moving to Washington, including a "? dance party" outside his former Washington residence in January.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/white-house-sanders-trump-stating-a-fact-obama-didnt-call-grieving-families
    WH: Trump Was Simply ‘Stating A Fact’ In Baseless Claim About Obama

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told TPM Monday that President Donald Trump was not criticizing his predecessor when he claimed that former President Barack Obama did not call grieving military families. Trump walked back the claim when a reporter asked him about it.

At a press conference Monday, Trump claimed that “President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls,” to the families of fallen service members.

A former Obama White House official strenuously objected to the claim in an email to TPM, as have several other former Obama White House staffers.

“The President wasn’t criticizing predecessors, but stating a fact,” Sanders said in an email to TPM.

“When American heroes make the ultimate sacrifice, Presidents pay their respects,” she continued. “Sometimes they call, sometimes they send a letter, other times they have the opportunity to meet family members in person. This President, like his predecessors, has done each of these. Individuals claiming former presidents, such as their bosses, called each family of the fallen, are mistaken.”

However, Trump himself walked back his stated “fact” by the end of the press conference.

Pressed on how he would know whether Obama had called grieving families or not, Trump said “I don’t know if he did. No, no. I was told that he didn’t often and a lot of presidents don’t.”

“That’s what I was told,” he said. “All I can do is ask my generals.”

Trump also admitted during the press conference that he had not yet been in touch with the families of four fallen Green Berets killed in Niger on Oct. 4.

“I’ve written them personal letters. They’ve been sent, or they’re going out tonight,” he said, adding later: “I’m going to be calling them. I want a little time to pass.”

Sanders did not respond to TPM’s questions about how frequently Trump delays contact with grieving military families for 12 days and counting.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2739038-gregg-popovich-donald-trump-a-soulless-coward-for-comment-on-fallen-soldiers
    Gregg Popovich: Donald Trump a 'Soulless Coward' for Comment on Fallen Soldiers

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called the sitting president a "soulless coward" Monday.

Dave Zirin of The Nation reported the news, noting Popovich's comments were in regard to Donald Trump claiming former presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush failed to call the families of soldiers who had died.

According to Kevin Liptak of CNN, Trump said Monday he wrote letters to and planned on calling the families of four American soldiers who died in Niger in early October.

"Other presidents did not call, they would write letters, and some presidents didn't do anything," Trump said, per Liptak.

Liptak noted Trump's comments Monday were the first time he's publicly spoken about the four deaths. Liptak also explained "the tradition of presidents reaching out after US servicemen are killed in action is long-established," despite Trump's assertion his immediate predecessors didn't take as much action as he did.

This is not the first time Popovich—who served in the Air Force—has criticized Trump.

He previously said "our country is an embarrassment to the world," after Trump continuously used public platforms to verbally attack NFL players who chose to protest racial inequality and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem, per Melissa Rohlin of the San Antonio Express-News.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More ppl need to call out trump in real time on his ?
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    More ppl need to call out trump in real time on his ?

It doesn't matter because the media refuses to stay focused on one scandal long enough for it to stick to him. The media should be hammering at him every single day about Russia and how he's forcing the people of Puerto Rico to drink ? water.

Since the campaign, his strategy has been to create a new scandal every other day to keep the media chasing after new stories. The media is dumb and looking for only ratings, so he knew it would work.........and it has.
  • Angeles1son85
    Options
    new york times about to start goin after ivanka trump and her shady business deals they asked the white house whats her role or job and they refuse to answer lol
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    new york times about to start goin after ivanka trump and her shady business deals they asked the white house whats her role or job and they refuse to answer lol

FTB! That lieing hoe think she slick.
  • marc123
    Options
    Trump was in full trump mode today. Spitting str8 lies n ? .
  • Angeles1son85
    edited October 2017
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

FTB! That lieing hoe think she slick.
    some notes

The article argues that Ivanka has carefully crafted a narrative about her time at the White House, namely that she is a “benevolent and moderating force,” pushing back against the more bullish instincts of her father, as we as a professional, smart and gracious ambassador for the Trumps, and an advocate for women’s rights.
    But while Ivanka has been taken to task in a number of editorial pieces in newspapers like the Washington Post and the New York Times, Seligson contends that more in-depth reporting on Ivanka’s dealings has been uniquely lacking.
    Pointing to a number of allegations — including claims of deception relating to the Trump SoHo and a Trump Organization project in Baja, Mexico, where buyers claimed they lost deposits after being misled — Seligson argues that a “pattern of shady, perhaps even illegal, business practices never really sticks to Ivanka, nor does it inform the media narrative about her instincts, judgment, scruples, or expertise.
    example, Seligson points to MSNBC host Joe Scarborough, who personally socialized with the Trump children over the last decade. While Seligson notes that Scarborough has criticized Ivanka, he has also kept more serious criticism for Kushner and “never takes Ivanka to task for her own suspicious business practices.”
  • marc123
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • Angeles1son85
    Options
    Jared and ivanka were the host for the tax reform dinner smh
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mcconnel looks like he has a bunch of chickens..
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-suggests-obama-never-called-gen-john-kelly-after-his-son-died-in-afghanistan/
    Trump Suggests Obama Never Called Gen. Kelly After His Son Died in Afghanistan

President Donald Trump took aim at President Barack Obama in a radio interview on Tuesday, suggesting that his predecessor didn’t call John Kelly after the retired general’s son died in Afghanistan.

After claiming that previous presidents had not made phone calls to the families of fallen soldiers in a press conference on Monday, Trump has been called out by many on cable news — as well as by former Obama officials — for the demonstrable lie.

But Trump, in a very Trumpian fashion, is doubling down. In a radio interview with Fox Newser Brian Kilmeade Tuesday morning, Trump was asked about his Monday remarks, and said: “As far as other presidents, I don’t know, you could ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? I don’t know what Obama’s policy was.”

Kelly’s 27-year-old son Robert died after he stepped on a landmine in Afghanistan in 2010. Kelly, who now serves as Trump’s chief of staff, was serving as a lieutenant general at the time.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michael-williams-bump-stock-giveaway-las-vegas-shooting
    After Vegas, Georgia GOPer’s Campaign Promotes ‘Bump Stock Giveaway’

A Republican candidate for governor in Georgia on Monday suggested that bump stocks—devices that make semi-automatic weapons act more like automatic weapons, several of which were found on the Las Vegas shooter’s guns—may have prevented further casualties in what was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

The candidate, State Sen. Michael Williams, also announced that his gubernatorial campaign would give away a bump stock “as a show of support” for the Second Amendment.

“The tragedy in Las Vegas broke my heart, but any talk of banning or regulating bump stocks is merely cheap political lip service from career politicians,” Williams said in a statement. “In reality, the bump stock is the new, shiny object politicians are using to deceive voters into believing they are taking action against gun violence.”

“Many firearms experts determined the Las Vegas shooter’s use of a bump stock actually prevented more casualties and injures due to its inconsistency, inaccuracy, and lack of control,” he claimed. “There is zero evidence that banning bump stocks would prevent any gun violence deaths.”

Bump stocks increase the rate at which a weapon can fire, and do reduce the shooter’s accuracy, since they cause the gun to bounce. The Las Vegas shooter fired from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel, raining bullets onto a crowd of about 22,000 people attending a country music festival.

Gun expert and former Army Ranger Frankie McRae told the Associated Press that while bump stocks do make guns less accurate, it did not matter in the Las Vegas shooting because the gunman was firing from an elevated position onto a large, confined crowd.

“Because he was firing down, he was able to use the inaccuracy of that to cover a larger area, which inflicted more damage,” McRae said.

In the wake of the shooting, which left 58 people dead and more than 500 others injured, many Republicans have questioned why bump stocks are legally available and pushed for a review of the devices.

However, Williams argued Monday that it’s wrong to go after bump stocks just because police say they were used in the shooting.

“Blaming guns or bump stocks for the actions of a lunatic, is the same as blaming McDonald’s for heart disease,” he said in his statement. “I will stand up for the Second Amendment against liberals and weak Republicans who wish to limit our freedoms. Not only that, I will continue to call out Democrats and Republicans who provide cheap talk and excuses rather than solutions.”

’Merica…
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-suggests-obama-never-called-gen-john-kelly-after-his-son-died-in-afghanistan/
    Trump Suggests Obama Never Called Gen. Kelly After His Son Died in Afghanistan

President Donald Trump took aim at President Barack Obama in a radio interview on Tuesday, suggesting that his predecessor didn’t call John Kelly after the retired general’s son died in Afghanistan.

After claiming that previous presidents had not made phone calls to the families of fallen soldiers in a press conference on Monday, Trump has been called out by many on cable news — as well as by former Obama officials — for the demonstrable lie.

But Trump, in a very Trumpian fashion, is doubling down. In a radio interview with Fox Newser Brian Kilmeade Tuesday morning, Trump was asked about his Monday remarks, and said: “As far as other presidents, I don’t know, you could ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? I don’t know what Obama’s policy was.”

Kelly’s 27-year-old son Robert died after he stepped on a landmine in Afghanistan in 2010. Kelly, who now serves as Trump’s chief of staff, was serving as a lieutenant general at the time.

WH official said it's true that Obama never called but it's annoying it's gotten to this point