What Do You Think About My Solution To The Drug Problem?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
1. Marijuana - You have to have a high school diploma or G.E.D. to buy, possess or use marijuana. You can't drop out of high school and smoke weed. People without high school diplomas or G.E.Ds that get caught with marijuana will go directly to jail.

2. ? and Heroin. If you have an Associate's Degree you can use and possess ? and heroin but you can't buy it. If you have a Bachelor's degree, 4 years military experience, or 5 years with a union you can buy ? and heroin.

3. If you have an advanced degree (MBA, Ph.D, J.D., M.D.) you can sell marijuana, ? and heroin.

People could go to the DMV and get something amended to their license that says what education level they have. Marijuana could be sold at liquor stores. The only place I can think of to sell ? and heroin would be the local police precinct. You go in, run your credit card and/or drivers license and make the purchase. If your credit card is declined you can't make the purchase. You can't pay for it in cash (if your bank account is overdrawn you shouldn't be buying hard drugs). Also if you have a warrant you'll be arrested.

In this hypothetical scenario law abiding people with advanced degrees would be able to buy hard drugs in bulk and resell it. Obviously it would filter down to the black market but a law abiding citizen with a good paying job would be able to get ? up on the weekends without worrying about getting arrested or dealing with shady drug dealers in sketchy neighborhoods.

People who drop out of high school and smoke weed (or harder drugs) would be rounded up and sent to jail.

As a society we can't let people drop out of high school and smoke weed.

Comments

• 5 Grand
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    I for one think your idea is stupid.

Why?
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why would u make drugs legal and then restrict most minorities from being able to profit off it? we are already at a disadvantage when it comes to education. u want a master's degree? how is that any different from laws that stated u had to own land to vote?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    why would u make drugs legal and then restrict most minorities from being able to profit off it? we are already at a disadvantage when it comes to education. u want a master's degree? how is that any different from laws that stated u had to own land to vote?

Well you'd be encouraging people to get an education.

Obviously the drugs would be on the black market. But it would give a person incentive to get a degree and excel at school, which would make for a better society.

The world is a better place when people are educated.

The world is a worse place when people are uneducated and do drugs.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Lol the biggest market for drugs is college kids
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought the end goal of the war on drugs was to get people off of them. What are educated drug dealers going to do? Give health tests before dispensing H? Not much profit in that. Thread fail, and it's not the first time.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with it.

"Shrugs"
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Well you'd be encouraging people to get an education.

Obviously the drugs would be on the black market. But it would give a person incentive to get a degree and excel at school, which would make for a better society.

The world is a better place when people are educated.

The world is a worse place when people are uneducated and do drugs.

Get a pharm D degree. See Hampton U if interested. You can legally sell drugs and make a 100k at walgreens.

There are reasons education is a problem in our community. It's crazy that u would think that a majority of our community is under educated because we want to drop out and smoke weed.

Ur plan to help our community is to legalize drugs and say hey get a ph d and u can sell ? ? Like how do view us? How do u see the black community? Do u really think all we can do is run jump and sell drugs?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Your suggestions have a lot of weak points. Right from the beginning, you come out swinging at one of the safest drugs, giving out jail sentences like Oprah gives out cars. "You get a criminal record! and you get a criminal record! You're all getting criminal records!!!!" If you fail to ensure that your justice system is actually capable of correcting and rehabilitating, rather than punishing (like it does now), then you will not solve anything with your solution.

Also, you seem to be putting the GED on a pedestal. It's overrated enough as it is. There are people with diplomas that are still not very bright, and people who dropped out who contribute a lot to our society. Gauging someone's value to their community in this way is narrow. You need to be looking at more holistic options.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What if I graduated hs and joined the military, can I get some coke with my weed?
    What we gotta do for X, lean, & percs?

Asking for a friend .......
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Get a pharm D degree. See Hampton U if interested. You can legally sell drugs and make a 100k at walgreens.

There are reasons education is a problem in our community. It's crazy that u would think that a majority of our community is under educated because we want to drop out and smoke weed.

Ur plan to help our community is to legalize drugs and say hey get a ph d and u can sell ? ? Like how do view us? How do u see the black community? Do u really think all we can do is run jump and sell drugs?

Well, first of all you're making the stereotype that its only Black people that drop out and smoke weed. White people drop out and smoke weed too (although I wrote a paper on this, Whites and Blacks drop out at the same rate, but Black people who drop out are more likely to go to prison than White people who drop out.)

I think one thing we can all agree on is that dropping out and doing drugs is the fastest way to go nowhere. In addition to being undereducated, weed makes you lazy. It makes you put off doing something today and you tell yourself you'll do it tomorrow and it never gets done. Hard drugs are even worse. ? is just as habit forming as weed but its more expensive and makes people act crazy. Heroin is addictive but as I posted earlier, there are simple ways to alleviate the withdrawal.
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Your suggestions have a lot of weak points. Right from the beginning, you come out swinging at one of the safest drugs, giving out jail sentences like Oprah gives out cars. "You get a criminal record! and you get a criminal record! You're all getting criminal records!!!!" If you fail to ensure that your justice system is actually capable of correcting and rehabilitating, rather than punishing (like it does now), then you will not solve anything with your solution.

Also, you seem to be putting the GED on a pedestal. It's overrated enough as it is. There are people with diplomas that are still not very bright, and people who dropped out who contribute a lot to our society. Gauging someone's value to their community in this way is narrow. You need to be looking at more holistic options.

If this plan was implemented, high school dropouts who get caught with weed would be hit the hardest. But thats what society needs, we don't need dropouts who smoke weed. They're useless.

And yeah I know that a G.E.D. isn't the same as a Ph.D but I know people that don't even have a G.E.D. and they can't get anywhere in life. I think rewarding somebody with getting a High School diploma or G.E.D. by letting them smoke weed is an incentive for a person who otherwise wouldn't go back to school at all.

Anyway, if my idea is so bad what are your suggestions?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    What if I graduated hs and joined the military, can I get some coke with my weed?
    What we gotta do for X, lean, & percs?

Asking for a friend .......

Good question.

I'd say 4 years military = Bachelors degree= 5 years in a union

I guess you could put LSD and E (we call Ecstacy "E") in the same category as coke and dope.

The reason I think my plan could work is because it would be under the discretion of the dealer (who has an advanced degree) who to sell to. So there's a fall guy. There's somebody to blame if the drugs get in the wrong hands. As it stands now, when somebody overdoses or goes on a ? binge there's nobody to blame.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I disagree. The drug problem isnt a problem because hard working americans arent allowed to get ? up on the weekends, its a problem because people are doing drugs, getting addicted, getting locked up and sent back out on to the streets without tackling the root of the problem. They are still addicted, they get high immediately, then they need to worry about their next fix and they often do things that are illegal to get money for that fix. When they are at a certain point, many of them cannot keep a job for various reasons: Not passing a drug test, being high on the job and ? up, or withdrawing from said drug and calling out too many times. They get a criminal record and that ? them over from getting a job in the future. That furthers the depression and that gives them another reason to get high.

They need to legalize all drugs. ALL drugs. I personally would keep ones like ? illegal, but regardless if the drug is legal or not, if people want to do the drugs, they will do the drugs. Sell drugs exactly like legal weed states are doing and tax the ? . The taxes can go to paying for behavorial health clinics. A lot of these people have no job and no insurance, for them to get into treatment when they are ready is damn near impossible. Taxing legal drugs can help finance these clinics that can do medical detox and residential treatment.

Its a tricky subject and their really is no perfect answer for it.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Well, first of all you're making the stereotype that its only Black people that drop out and smoke weed. White people drop out and smoke weed too (although I wrote a paper on this, Whites and Blacks drop out at the same rate, but Black people who drop out are more likely to go to prison than White people who drop out.)

I think one thing we can all agree on is that dropping out and doing drugs is the fastest way to go nowhere. In addition to being undereducated, weed makes you lazy. It makes you put off doing something today and you tell yourself you'll do it tomorrow and it never gets done. Hard drugs are even worse. ? is just as habit forming as weed but its more expensive and makes people act crazy. Heroin is addictive but as I posted earlier, there are simple ways to alleviate the withdrawal.
    LUClEN wrote: »

If this plan was implemented, high school dropouts who get caught with weed would be hit the hardest. But thats what society needs, we don't need dropouts who smoke weed. They're useless.

And yeah I know that a G.E.D. isn't the same as a Ph.D but I know people that don't even have a G.E.D. and they can't get anywhere in life. I think rewarding somebody with getting a High School diploma or G.E.D. by letting them smoke weed is an incentive for a person who otherwise wouldn't go back to school at all.

Anyway, if my idea is so bad what are your suggestions?

More community. The groups that seem to do the best collectively, at least in America, have a strong sense of community. Jews, Asians, Africans (from Africa). People are laughing at Latinos for mowing lawns and ? now, but given the trends we've been seeing (where cultureless White dudes cry about affirmative action rewarding Black students who are underrepresented in applications when they are only in college because affirmative action also prevents Asians from completely dominating University entirely), as a market and economy they're gonna be huge because of that community.

I used to think it was a dumb idea, but I had a teacher in HS that thought High schools should be structured and run as kind of community centres. Hard to walk down the halls mean mugging people and looking for trouble when your grandma is doing a computer class for seniors just a few doors down, and your little sister is learning to garden out back. Not only would this have a stronger effect on people due to social expectation and social pressure being higher, but it would gear education towards community involvement, which benefits philanthropy, education, social work, and even entrepreneurship
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this thread is lit.!
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to get an advanced degree so i can build my coke empire lawfully
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    I disagree. The drug problem isnt a problem because hard working americans arent allowed to get ? up on the weekends, its a problem because people are doing drugs, getting addicted, getting locked up and sent back out on to the streets without tackling the root of the problem. They are still addicted, they get high immediately, then they need to worry about their next fix and they often do things that are illegal to get money for that fix. When they are at a certain point, many of them cannot keep a job for various reasons: Not passing a drug test, being high on the job and ? up, or withdrawing from said drug and calling out too many times. They get a criminal record and that ? them over from getting a job in the future. That furthers the depression and that gives them another reason to get high.

They need to legalize all drugs. ALL drugs. I personally would keep ones like ? illegal, but regardless if the drug is legal or not, if people want to do the drugs, they will do the drugs. Sell drugs exactly like legal weed states are doing and tax the ? . The taxes can go to paying for behavorial health clinics. A lot of these people have no job and no insurance, for them to get into treatment when they are ready is damn near impossible. Taxing legal drugs can help finance these clinics that can do medical detox and residential treatment.

Its a tricky subject and their really is no perfect answer for it.

Your position seems to be that poor people on skid row are the only ones that do drugs. Thats not true. Everybody does drugs. Rich lawyers and stockbrokers do drugs. Its called being a functional drug addict. They can get up, go to work and then come home and get ? up. But those people aren't the problem.

The problem is uneducated people that drop out and ruin their lives by doing drugs. It starts off with weed and then they graduate to coke and heroin.

With my solution the only people with access to drugs are college educated people. And those people have the discretion to whom they sell it to.

Uneducated people shouldn't be doing hard drugs.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options