Pete Rock defends ole heads in music and explains why newer artist music don’t get no respect ...

Options

Comments

• Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here what Maino thinks about the new generation of Hip Hop ... Pete Rock vs Maino coming soon

https://youtu.be/_ltd3playDQ
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my question to Pete would be instead of talking ? why not embrace the young boy movement and you and them can both learn something. 90s rappers are really arrogant
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hey! new ? ...........

9k1cw6fo2yxn.jpg
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people seem to think bitterness eradicates clarity and a great point.. if you are invested in something bitterness is a potential symptom... 100% agree
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    my question to Pete would be instead of talking ? why not embrace the young boy movement and you and them can both learn something. 90s rappers are really arrogant

lol what the hell could pete rock possibly learn from the likes of lil yachty?

To make a recent hit
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Pete Rock can learn how to #Culture
    un7vbg9idl79.gif
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To make a recent hit

I'm pretty sure if given the choice even yachty's ? ass would rather have a healthy stack of timeless classics over an already forgotten recent hit.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I guess according to Pete Rock, all yall old heads did was smoke weed huh?

Gtfoh. Like the Wu Tang wasn't smoking angel dust while having push up contests, Three 6 and UGK were sipping lean, like ? and coke wasn't being smoked by damn near a ? load of rappers in the 80s??

Come on man. Like 80s rappers weren't named after synthetic drugs themselves?

@old heads yall got nothing to say about this?
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Gtfoh. Like the Wu Tang wasn't smoking angel dust while having push up contests, Three 6 and UGK were sipping lean, like ? and coke wasn't being smoked by damn near a ? load of rappers in the 80s??

Talent and respect. These new ? lack both. Nobody excusing the old ? behavior or drug habits, but them ? was talented.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While smoking dust Wu made 36 and Forever.

While sipping lean Three 6 and UGK made When the Smoke Clears and Ridin ? .

While on ? and coke in the 80's we got Run-DMC, Raising Hell,King of Rock,Radio,Bigger and Deffer, Paid in Full,It Takes a Nation, and Licensed to Ill.

What these new ? got?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all, Pete Rock isn't an OG. I can give a lil history of Pete Rock and his place in Hip Hop.

In the mid 80s there were two Black radio stations in New York, 98.7 WRKS and 107.5 WBLS. They both had Hip Hop shows on Friday and Saturday night. (There was also WBAU which was Adelphi University's radio station where Doctor Dre and Ed Lover had a show, The Bomb Squad also had a show on WBAU).

So anyway, there were two main radio stations in NYC, 98.7 had Chuck Chillout on Friday nights and Red Alert on Saturday nights.

107.5 had Mr Magic and Marley Marl on Friday nights. But during the bridge wars Mr Magic was talking a lot of trash over the air, and then KRS bodied Magic and Marley Marl with The Bridge is Over. Mr Magic lost his job and Pete Rock replaced him circa 1988.

In Control Radio Show 11/10/1988 - Pete Rock & Marley Marl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a2bhZr71DI

In Control Radio Show 8/12/1989- Pete Rock & Marley Marl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmD6FNMN48k

In Control Radio Show date unknown - Pete Rock & Marley Marl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfCsP4XBAA

Anyway, I say Pete Rock isn't an OG because he came into the scene in the late 80s. If Pete Rock is an OG, then what would you call somebody who was throwing park jams in the Bronx in the late 70s?

I've heard the phrase "uncle" to refer to people who have been around for a long time but aren't necessarily pioneers. For example, LL Cool J is an uncle, but he's not a pioneer. Snoop calls himself uncle. Luke calls himself uncle.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    That young vs old ? is wack. Let these young ? rock.

They're living in 2 different times, and honestly, there are different motivations within the music.

They rapped because of the art, the new generation is motivated by the money more than the art. Everytime a ? can't get a job, he starts rapping now.

There are true artists out there still, many at the top, or close to the top of the billboard charts. Big Sean is dope, Cole is dope, Krit is dope, I can go on and on...Kendrick, and many others. But the ones that get the finger pointed at em are the ones that treat the music like it's oil country, tryin to strike and get a hit.

Black hands are not the ones pressing the buttons as to who gets promoted, and radio play, and vevo channels and whatnot, so maybe Mr Rock should point his finger in a different direction.

If you're turning on lil yachty or chief keef or a ? like that, and you're looking for substance, you should write a rant to yourself.

Big Krit just made a double album that held weight, Kendrick made an album that held weight. Lots of underground artists made albums that talked up on some real ? , but he chooses to chase one hit wonders off his lawn.

Not to mention, i'm in my mid 30s so I consider myself an OG at this point in my life, I be watchin some award shows like who the ? is that... I'm washed. I would never use my position to talk about how ? up a whole generation is, that's lazy, and some bitter ? , which comes with regrets, or jealousy. I try to wrap my arms around the ones who need guidance and will accept a couple gems. The ones who don't cool, don't. A lot of youngins want to just go their own way, and I'm not mad because I was young too, and I wanted to hold my nuts to show the old heads ahead of me that I could too.

Don't nobody owe pete rock ? . He had his time, he did his thing. They set a standard, but as time changes, so do standards, and motivations. They rappin to get out they situation, not to get 5 mics homie. You can still get traction with substance too. Use that engery to promote that which you think is dope and get off Waka Flocka's ? .

What this guy said. There is good music out there, I don't listen to alot of the ? out there anyways. Lock in on what I think is dope and move on. I don't even know who yachty n uzi vert are. I thought they were the same person for a while. Waka flacka said he gon smack pete rock though, that escalated quickly
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can say the same about these new ? too
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

[Anyway, I say Pete Rock isn't an OG because he came into the scene in the late 80s. If Pete Rock is an OG, then what would you call somebody who was throwing park jams in the Bronx in the late 70s?

I've heard the phrase "uncle" to refer to people who have been around for a long time but aren't necessarily pioneers. For example, LL Cool J is an uncle, but he's not a pioneer. Snoop calls himself uncle. Luke calls himself uncle.

giphy.webp
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some of These new ? on another wave, wearing skirts, super tight jeans and rocking pink purses and DON'T GIVE TWO ? what anyone thinks about it. Is called attention seeking behavior and is working. Lil wayne fathered these dudes, I blame Wayne (Kanye shrug) oh yea, Kanye had a hand in this ? w the success of 808's. So we need to look at who these dudes were influenced by as well.