Denzel Washington: Don't Blame The Prison System, 'It Starts At The Home'

Options

Comments

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    Your personal experience means nothing when statistics say half of black males have been arrested by 23

Arrest in va count even when you aren’t detained and agree to appear in court on a certain day as I’m sure in other states , so you sound just like Denzel using your outlier of experience to speak on the general issues of black America when you don’t and haven’t experienced the average black experience, not glorifying jail or anything but your lucky to have been on that side of the 50%

? you can get locked up in va for child support or driving without a license ... i wouldn’t call them knuckleheads just victims of circumstance

then maybe half of the black males in America need to stop doing fuckery.

lol i can tell you right now, the people i know who are born less fortunate aren’t going to take being less fortunate lying down lol and i don’t blame them....it’s easy to say what needs to be done from the outside looking in
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MFs keep saying he explained it but not where he explained it at.
  • matt mane
    matt mane Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Options
    Your personal experience means nothing when statistics say half of black males have been arrested by 23

Arrest in va count even when you aren’t detained and agree to appear in court on a certain day as I’m sure in other states , so you sound just like Denzel using your outlier of experience to speak on the general issues of black America when you don’t and haven’t experienced the average black experience, not glorifying jail or anything but your lucky to have been on that side of the 50%

? you can get locked up in va for child support or driving without a license ... i wouldn’t call them knuckleheads just victims of circumstance

lol i can tell you right now, the people i know who are born less fortunate aren’t going to take being less fortunate lying down lol and i don’t blame them....it’s easy to say what needs to be done from the outside looking in

Then dey ass is going to jail
  • matt mane
    matt mane Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Options
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    matt mane wrote: »

lol only half..
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twenty2 wrote: »
    twenty2 wrote: »
    I always say you can blame them for your conditions but not your actions

That’s ignorant of the nature nurture relationship tho and that’s my whole gripe with Denzel’s sentiments....

In theory he’s right but the reality of the situation is...he’s mentioning black peoples problems without mentioning the causes....any doctor will tell you in order to get rid of a cold you gotta ? the virus not cure the runny nose or aches...sure stop pointing out the fact that we have a runny nose, or a fever....point out the got dam virus that’s causing our nose to run and body tenpature to change in order to fight the infection

So by that example... If you know of a way or ways to avoid the virus and lessen your odds of coming in contact with it...would you not? And if and when you do happen to get sick cuz you refuse to wear a hat and gloves...is someone not there to point out when you get sick (usually ya mama, who been tellin you "Boy, put on ya damn hat!"), "That's what happens when you don't wear a hat."???

Is the system is ? up and unfair? ... Absolutely. We've learned and known this since we got kidnapped and brought to this muthafucka. The question I always ask is...

If you know they aimin at you, why you gon' jump in front of the bullet?

The virus being this system.....you can’t avoid it....as much as i hate the way capitalism operates...i have no choice but to partake in it , as much as i can do without...even “living off the grid” can only alleviate some of the issues....

My analogy about the doctor was strictly to point out that it makes no sense to treat our symptoms of mass incarceration instead of attacking the system....as pointed out earlier by madame, poverty is just about as close to the root of the problem as you can get without saying white people and slavery and what followed after are / was / is the problem

The funny thing is if you look at the incarceration percentage by race .....it will clearly show you that the issue is outside of home....there are more black people in prison in the us than there are prisoners in countries like Japan and other big first world countries....

My ? there’s nothing inside the home that can fix that lolol....740,000 black MEN in prison and roughly 33-40,000 black women in prison....we make up over 50% of prison population while being only 13 in some change % of the total population .....my ? that’s not home training lol that’s system racism/oppression....tf is wrong with y’all ? ??

I love Denzel like a uncle....but my family would
    Never get a pass talking crazy like this ....

Wait... So you mean to tell me that there is NO way(s) to avoid the prison system? And IF, even by chance there was, that home training plays no part in that?

There is no way that every single african American can avoid the United States Criminal justice system...can one ? Yes, can 2 ? yes, can 3? Yes... can more than half?? stats say no....and the reason is not because we aren’t being properly trained at home LOL think about it...Its almost a common black comedy routine to talk about how strict our moms and grandmothers are...the average african American mother or grandmother is strict or at least has the respect of the average african American child, it’s usually one group you see run all over their parents....

Tbh it’s not home training, it’s social training and or conditioning....we gotta turn them tvs off and social media has to be limited...but again I’m speaking from a collective...y’all sound like “i got mines i don’t know why y’all won’t act right and get yours too” type ? ...? is set up for a select few to appear to be doing ok, while the rest suffer...and those who are selected can’t see it cause *que the movie where the white dude says “If you take him away from the group for a while he will feel like he is one of us”

https://youtu.be/DBlY3S3r2m4

3:30
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Yeah Rampart was started because of fatherless ?
    States make deals guaranteeing prisons maintain a certain amount of inmates because ? can't behave at home
    Sentencing is disproportionately harsher for people of color because...

None of that ? effects you unless you break the law.

That's routinely black folks problem. Once we decided a thing is unfair then whatever happens is happening because of the unfairness instead of because of individual behaviors.

The number of truly innocent people in jail is negligible, most of those ? really broke the law.

Instead of trying to educate people on how to survive without breaking the law, we typically complain about the law, complain about the courts, complain about the cops, complain about ? we have no immediate control over.

And the one thing we do have immediate control over, we surrender that control to continue the victim narrative.

Denzel's absolutely right. If you don't raise your kid to have good behaviors, to follow the laws, and to make good decisions you are almost guaranteeing they will end up in jail.

All this maybe true

But the simply fact is people, regardless of the "righteousness" of their upbringing will ? up and just plain make stupid horrible decisions including breaking the law

No one will argue that they shouldn't be held accountable for wrongdoing and sentence for it

But the major problem is that black people are disproportionately sentenced at a higher rate to longer jail/prison time than white people when they break the very same laws.

edit:

I'll add a perfect example would be how they are calling the heroin epidemic that's tearing apart these low income white neighborhoods a "healthcare" problem, but called the ? epidemic, which ? up the black community a criminal problem

They are calling
    They are deeming

They they they

I used to talk like you as a teen UNTIL MY BROTHER KICKED MY ASS ASKING ME WETHER I WAS BORN TO BE AND SYSTEMATICLY REACT TO WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY.

LEM YOU ? - WHATEVER
    LEM YOU LOOK LIKE GUMBY - WHATEVER
    LEM YOU I VE HEARD THAT BLACKS INSERT RACISTS CLICHES - WHATEVER
    LEM FOX NEWS SAID - NOT INTERESTED
    LEM GOP SAID - NOT HAVING TIME FOR THEIR ?

If i had to stop and fight every fat people who told me that my kettlebell made me look like a slave while i was training in order to lose fat i wouldnt have PROGRESSED. But you little easy triggered idiot take all the time worth progressing in whatever department to rant about tv programms created to MAKE YOU WAIST YOUR TIME RANTING!!!

YALL AINT FREE BECAUSE YALL WANT THAT WHITE MEN VALIDATION. THE MASTER IS STILL IN OUR HEADS. THEY WIPPING OUR HEADS.

REAL MEN AND WOMEN DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AND DONT STOP THEIR HUSTLE TO RANT ABOU THEIR HATERS AND KNOWN ENNEMIES.

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure

85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
    80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)

75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

70% of youths in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Sept. 1988)
    85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Fulton Co. Georgia, Texas Dept. of Correction)

So is y'all mad at Zel or y'all mad at the facts?

He didn't absolve the system, he said,

“It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”

Meaning through complicity of our own actions we make it easier for the system to ensnare our youth.

They dont want to hear the word RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

they havnt still used Blak Wall street arson as an excuse but be patient.

These are ? EDUCATED BY CHILDISH AND SECTION 8 MOTHERS. These are the ? that will gang bang for kicks and cellphones.
    These are the ? that will drugg up and ? their own brothers to by WHITE MEN FASHION stuff even everyday they pretend to dislike white culture.

These ? are traitors, branch swinggers like childish materialistic feminists. They will put a hole in a head of their brothers for LV and Ferrarri and when they get their ass put in jail , real ? have to march and riot for them.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    Yeah Rampart was started because of fatherless ?
    States make deals guaranteeing prisons maintain a certain amount of inmates because ? can't behave at home
    Sentencing is disproportionately harsher for people of color because...

None of that ? effects you unless you break the law.

That's routinely black folks problem. Once we decided a thing is unfair then whatever happens is happening because of the unfairness instead of because of individual behaviors.

The number of truly innocent people in jail is negligible, most of those ? really broke the law.

Instead of trying to educate people on how to survive without breaking the law, we typically complain about the law, complain about the courts, complain about the cops, complain about ? we have no immediate control over.

And the one thing we do have immediate control over, we surrender that control to continue the victim narrative.

Denzel's absolutely right. If you don't raise your kid to have good behaviors, to follow the laws, and to make good decisions you are almost guaranteeing they will end up in jail.

All this maybe true

But the simply fact is people, regardless of the "righteousness" of their upbringing will ? up and just plain make stupid horrible decisions including breaking the law

No one will argue that they shouldn't be held accountable for wrongdoing and sentence for it

But the major problem is that black people are disproportionately sentenced at a higher rate to longer jail/prison time than white people when they break the very same laws.

edit:

I'll add a perfect example would be how they are calling the heroin epidemic that's tearing apart these low income white neighborhoods a "healthcare" problem, but called the ? epidemic, which ? up the black community a criminal problem

They are calling
    They are deeming

They they they

I used to talk like you as a teen UNTIL MY BROTHER KICKED MY ASS ASKING ME WETHER I WAS BORN TO BE AND SYSTEMATICLY REACT TO WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY.

LEM YOU ? - WHATEVER
    LEM YOU LOOK LIKE GUMBY - WHATEVER
    LEM YOU I VE HEARD THAT BLACKS INSERT RACISTS CLICHES - WHATEVER
    LEM FOX NEWS SAID - NOT INTERESTED
    LEM GOP SAID - NOT HAVING TIME FOR THEIR ?

If i had to stop and fight every fat people who told me that my kettlebell made me look like a slave while i was training in order to lose fat i wouldnt have PROGRESSED. But you little easy triggered idiot take all the time worth progressing in whatever department to rant about tv programms created to MAKE YOU WAIST YOUR TIME RANTING!!!

YALL AINT FREE BECAUSE YALL WANT THAT WHITE MEN VALIDATION. THE MASTER IS STILL IN OUR HEADS. THEY WIPPING OUR HEADS.

REAL MEN AND WOMEN DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AND DONT STOP THEIR HUSTLE TO RANT ABOU THEIR HATERS AND KNOWN ENNEMIES.

a2r27bp_700b.jpg
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    So that’s what we doing?? We victim blaming ??

? don’t tell native Americans to get they ? together and put the alcohol and drugs down....but we gotta grab them boot straps huh?

We don’t tell them it’s their fault they living on reservations and drinking at an all time high with crazy suicide numbers and that it starts at home when trying to change that
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ? all that "we" ? . Aint no one person responsible for their whole race.

Yall MFs arguing an unreasonable goal.

Unless the Black people on here are the ones doing the ? yall attributing to "Black people", why the ? should they even have to defend against yall ? stereotypes ?

The pathetic part is yall MFs doing it probably dont even realize yall arguing within the boundaries of the same stereotypes our enemies set up.

How the ? there aint gonna be no Black people in jail in this country when its racist as ? ? And when there's so many Black people that's economically ? up ?

You think white people out here collectively blaming themselves for the heroin ? ? That ? is illogical.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    accountability is rare currency across the board..

from how people conduct themselves in relationships(all of them)

pitfalls due to their choices
    or even trivial ? ...
  • 7figz
    Options
    Mfs be talkin some ? / self-hatred ? and dont even know it and so-called smart MFs out here applauding it.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's almost crazy that people honestly believe that. Ask yourself why the Black community is lacking in father figures. Then take a look at the war on drugs and see how that plays in. It's a fact from declassified documents to Nixon own aid stating drugs were purposely allowed into the Black and Hippie community to weaken them and raise funds for illegitimate wars.
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Cain wrote: »

pitfalls do to their choices
    or even trivial ? ...

This is considered ? talk sir

By who, and how so ?

I doubt any normal person on here would call being accountable "? ? ", but generalizing Black people as being unaccountable - yeah ? ? . Or acting like systematic racism has no part in it or downplaying it - yeah ? ? .
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm ashamed of you ? who wholeheartedly agree with this ? . Yes people need to do better at home but if you can't acknowledge and understand why the Black community is like this then your no better then whites.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

or even trivial ? ...

By who, and how so ?

I doubt any normal person on here would call being accountable "? ? ", but generalizing Black people as being unaccountable - yeah ? ? . Or acting like systematic racism has no part in it or downplaying it - yeah ? ? .

No one said that though.
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    I'm ashamed of you ? who wholeheartedly agree with this ? . Yes people need to do better at home but if you can't acknowledge and understand why the Black community is like this then your no better then whites.

Facts, ? is wrong with these MFs ?
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody needs to read this book, breaks everything down and explains how mass incarceration was purposefully set up to destroy the black community.

xi0yjm5930en.jpg
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    There is no way that every single african American can avoid the United States Criminal justice system...can one ? Yes, can 2 ? yes, can 3? Yes... can more than half?? stats say no....and the reason is not because we aren’t being properly trained at home LOL think about it...Its almost a common black comedy routine to talk about how strict our moms and grandmothers are...the average african American mother or grandmother is strict or at least has the respect of the average african American child, it’s usually one group you see run all over their parents....

Tbh it’s not home training, it’s social training and or conditioning....we gotta turn them tvs off and social media has to be limited...but again I’m speaking from a collective...y’all sound like “i got mines i don’t know why y’all won’t act right and get yours too” type ? ...? is set up for a select few to appear to be doing ok, while the rest suffer...and those who are selected can’t see it cause *que the movie where the white dude says “If you take him away from the group for a while he will feel like he is one of us”

So... If we know it's, as you say, "social training" (which I don't disagree)...should we just continue to let society mold us and our youth? If society in general has more influence on your child(ren) than you do, can that not be equated to lack of proper home training? Society should not be raising our children. Our children should not be so quick to listen to or believe what society has to say about them...especially when it's so unfavorable. And us, being "in the know" of how society feels and operates in regards to us, should be doing all we can to disuade them from listening to or giving a ? what society has to say about us.

? these statistics AND these history books. These honkies have and continue to alter history to make themselves look better...and everybody else look worse. Why shouldn't I believe they do the same with statistics? But whatever they say, true or false, if it's something I don't like, contrary to popular belief, I'M doin my best to avoid that ? . We are "the face" of so much ? for a reason... Because after so long of hearin the same ? , you start to believe it. In the words of Joe Budden, "If everybody calls you a duck will you just quack?"... Not me... I'm defiant. They want me to think a certain way of myself, so they beat me across the head with all these images and stats that will aid that. They tell me my kinds is criminals... They tell me my kinds is welfare recipients and abusers of the system... They tell me my kinds is deadbeat and absentee fathers... I'm NONE of that. I'm defiant. I refuse to believe I'm destined for any of that. You ? can believe that's y'all calling if you want. Fell right into they trap. Cuz once you believe it...you act the part. And they sittin back like "Got his black ass!" Yet ? love to scream "This ? 's chess, it ain't checkers!"

Are ? locked up at disproportionate rates, unjustly, and unfairly? Absolutely. Have I been to jail? Yup...and might I add, I deserved to go everytime. Before I did whatever it was that I did, whether it was drive without a license or carry a concealed weapon, I knew it was illegal before I did it. Do I know ? that's locked up? Of course. Now ask me how many of 'em is innocent... And then ask me how many of 'em weren't aware of the risks involved before they did what they decided to do... So... When we gon' stop playin checkers?

And for the record... I am not now, nor have I ever been...nor will I ever BE..."away from my people". I love my people. So why wouldn't I tell them what I know and believe?
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    Are we in agreement that our condition today is directly caused by being human trafficked from Africa to the states???

If you knock over a tall glass of milk in my house , I’ll clean it because it’s my house, and i won’t let you forget that you knocked the glass over

But if you kidnap me, take me to your house,lock me in a small ass room, knock over a glass of milk and tell me to clean it up, ima look at you like you crazy ? ...? is you talkin bout...
  • 7figz
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

or even trivial ? ...

By who, and how so ?

No one said that though.

Didnt say you did bruh. It wasn't necessarily directed to you. I was explaining the context of MFs saying some ? is ? ? . It's not just when a MF says somebody should be accountable - MFs be sayin some extra ? .
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    It's almost crazy that people honestly believe that. Ask yourself why the Black community is lacking in father figures. Then take a look at the war on drugs and see how that plays in. It's a fact from declassified documents to Nixon own aid stating drugs were purposely allowed into the Black and Hippie community to weaken them and raise funds for illegitimate wars.

That may apply 50 years ago but we have progressed, information has been dispersed and opportunities are prevalent here in 2017. That’s the thing that really ? irks me when it comes to black progression. EXCUSES. All of those pitfalls aren’t in place anymore or at least not as many. Mfs are consciously making a choice to be ain’t ? nihgas nowadays. ? game been fizzled out, gang banging is a joke and heroin has shifted over to a majority white problem. There is no outright oppression. Is the black community in a perfect place? No. ? isn’t even about race anymore. It’s about money, drive and personal accountability. ? spinning their gears worried about white oppression while there are black men and women paying that ? no mind and achieving their dreams. And guess what? They’re from all types of homes. Blacks in college are higher than ever, black business is beginning to flourish, I can go on speaking on progress. The same progress threads like this one and every other “black vs everybody” ignores. Mfs are so stuck on the past, they don’t realize they missing out on black revival. Too busy fighting an enemy that’s struggling to survive its damn self (white supremacy).

Let that ? go along with the excuses. ? will phase themselves out and what’s left will be real black pride, black love and black power.