Has Kendrick Been Around Long Enough For A Top 10 DOA Discussion?

Options
13»

Comments

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kendrick Is Not Top 10 DOA
    On a mainstream level, Kendrick is virtually unchallenged. He's a damn good artist (no pun), and one of my personal favorites atm, but who really challenges him? Drake? Cole? Sean? Nah. He's heads and shoulders above everyone in rap right now. I'm not counting Jay/Nas.

Krit isn't really mainstream like that, but he's probably the closest to him, in terms of rapping ability and talent. When people cite rappers as top 10, those rappers were around when competition was thick and EVERYBODY could body you at any given moment.

That much isn't true anymore. However, to act like Kendrick hasn't put out classic/great albums since he debuted would also be disingenuous. I think if he puts out another GKMC, or even DAMN, I'd start looking at those top 10 rankings a little closer.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    What does the landscape of hip hop have to do with the quality of kendricks music? What drake or cole is doing has nothing to do with the solid albums kendrick has released

Find a rapper in history with a 4 album start as good as his....theres not many...even nas first 4 albums arent as good as kendricks...nas has longevity and consistency...no one is saying kendrick is at nas level...but hes on his way and has surpassed many rappers from the golden era already in terms of consistent quality

You can take em and wayne and put together their best 4 albums from each of their whole careers and kendricks already better than both and they mentioned in ppls top 10s
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    We all know four spots are 99% of the time taken with Jay Nas Big & Pac so that leaves 6 open slots.

LL Cool J - Classic, Battle tested, and longevity

Ice cube - same as LL and is consider the greatest west coast MC ever by some.

Rakim - the name alone says it perhaps your fave rappers fave rapper

Scarface - come on man

That's 8 easy of top
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kdot benefits from the time he's rapping in I know ? love Kdot but he suffers from the "LeBron in the East" treatment where his greatness is added on to by his competition of his time.... ? be ready to call all his albums classic becuz ain't but like 5 mainstream new era rappers that can actually rap he's great no lie but top 10 let's see where he goes first
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has the Potential to be but he is not there yet...
  • KingLuciano
    KingLuciano Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's nice, but not yet. *shrugs*
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    What does the landscape of hip hop have to do with the quality of kendricks music? What drake or cole is doing has nothing to do with the solid albums kendrick has released

Find a rapper in history with a 4 album start as good as his....theres not many...even nas first 4 albums arent as good as kendricks...nas has longevity and consistency...no one is saying kendrick is at nas level...but hes on his way and has surpassed many rappers from the golden era already in terms of consistent quality

You can take em and wayne and put together their best 4 albums from each of their whole careers and kendricks already better than both and they mentioned in ppls top 10s

Kendrick doesn't rap as good as Nas.

I'm not saying that Kendrick can't rap, but Nas is waaaaay better with the pen.

Its like comparing Michael Jordan to Scottie Pippen. Scottie Pippen is a hall of famer, but he's not the GOAT.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    How I feel...

top 10 DOA is reserved for those artists
    who made it in before hip hop died

all these new ? got their own separate
    era. its very similar to how I compare MJ & Bron
    different eras. don't wanna get off topic

so no he aint in THE top 10 DOA discussion
    yet, but he close, and he's definitely top 5 on
    the new list

I had something like this typed out but forgot to post it. It's an Era thing, his music is going to get slightly overrated cause of his peers/competition. So to answer the question, yes he has been around long enough but imo his product isn't top 10 worthy.
  • bck145
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    5 Grand wrote: »

Its like comparing Michael Jordan to Scottie Pippen. Scottie Pippen is a hall of famer, but he's not the GOAT.

Im not saying kendrick is the goat...but nas aint either....all im saying is kendricks career has started better than nas's did

Top 10 is way different than one of the best ever
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Im not saying kendrick is the goat...but nas aint either....all im saying is kendricks career has started better than nas's did

tumblr_o39x2fzeQc1tk48vko1_400.gif
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    Y'all never even heard Kendrick Lamar EP or Overly Dedicated.. Plus untitled, unmastered is immaculate..

? yaself, you don't know ? about music
  • bck145
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    Broddie wrote: »

Most ppl have 4 rappers at the top...the end of the top 10 is always debated..so theres a big difference

Its like saying lebron is the goat...but larry bird is 10th best player ever...larry not close to lebron in any aspect of the game....even tho hes still one of the best
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most ppl have 4 rappers at the top...the end of the top 10 is always debated..so theres a big difference

Its like saying lebron is the goat...but larry bird is 10th best player ever...larry not close to lebron in any aspect of the game....even tho hes still one of the best

Dog the point of a top 10 is a ranking of the 10 best to ever do it.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea he been around long enough he’s just not good enough
  • bck145
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA

Dog the point of a top 10 is a ranking of the 10 best to ever do it.

Yeah thanks...i didnt realize that...insert smh
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    You can't talk about body of work when a lot of the "goats"have one and two Classic Albums to their name
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    ? just always going be glued to their moments and personal memories and fondness of artists

Big Sean is one of the nicest ? to ever pick up a mic...I ain't talking projects, discography. That's one of the nicest ? to rap ever.

You'd be a ? fool to think I'm going sit here and listen to a ? say Ice Cube is a better MC than him. When we start talking top rappers, ok then you have to account for accomplishments

Kendrick is one of the nicest ? to rap and got the accomplishments. But this ? is subjective but saying ? like he's not that nice or some other ? ? is just befuddling

I legit would want to know what you look for in drawing conclusions about music

Stand somebody body of work next to his then, especially at this point

• bck145
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA
    R.D. wrote: »
    ? just always going be glued to their moments and personal memories and fondness of artists

Big Sean is one of the nicest ? to ever pick up a mic...I ain't talking projects, discography. That's one of the nicest ? to rap ever.

You'd be a ? fool to think I'm going sit here and listen to a ? say Ice Cube is a better MC than him. When we start talking top rappers, ok then you have to account for accomplishments

Kendrick is one of the nicest ? to rap and got the accomplishments. But this ? is subjective but saying ? like he's not that nice or some other ? ? is just befuddling

Agreed with everythibg except the big sean stuff....dude is ass on the mic
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is what you’re doing right now
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kendrick Is Top 10 DOA

I agree.

I was in middle school & high school when Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, The Roc, Nas, Bad Boy, DMX, Ruff Ryders, Death Row, Snoop, Dre, Outkast was HUGE !!! The music (along with other artists) was the soundtrack of my teens (hanging out with friends, house parties, getting pulled over by the police for the first time, driving to a girl's house to ****, etc., etc.)

Do I enjoy a lot of the new rappers today? - No (only about 50 % and that's being generous).

But when a great artist (with G.O.A.T. potential) like Kendrick comes along, I don't have a problem with giving him props and saying he's on the same level (or better) as the people I mentioned before.

Top 10? - YES.

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree.

I was in middle school & high school when Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, The Roc, Nas, Bad Boy, DMX, Ruff Ryders, Death Row, Snoop, Dre, Outkast was HUGE !!! The music (along with other artists) was the soundtrack of my teens (hanging out with friends, house parties, getting pulled over by the police for the first time, driving to a girl's house to ****, etc., etc.)

Do I enjoy a lot of the new rappers today? - No (only about 50 % and that's being generous).

But when a great artist (with G.O.A.T. potential) like Kendrick comes along, I don't have a problem with giving him props and saying he's on the same level (or better) as the people I mentioned before.

Top 10? - YES.

I think thats how the younger generation feels about Young Thug, Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, Rich Homie Quan, Young M.A., Migos, Future, 2 Chainz, Nicki Minaj, etc.