YungHeartLess5
YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
edited August 2010 in R&B & Alternatives

Comments

• Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Good Track . This is my thing on Trey Songs and other like him ( Dream , Sean Garret etc ) He is good at what he does , I cant deny that. But when you and others say his material is classic there is no way in hell that is true . My reasons for say that is this , we all have heard classic material through music history . Whether its Sade , Luther Vandorss. Tower Of Power , Stevie Wonder , Metallica . Beatles Outkast etc . That music is classic for many reasons such as great songwriting , impact , musicianship , innovation etc . After hearing what classic music sounds/looks/feels like you have an understanding of what it takes for an artist be consider great. The worst songs of great artist are musically superior to what average artist could even comprehend . Some not all of Trey Songs music offers nothin musically ( ie Say AHH , LOL , Bottoms UP ETC ) . People may say " its for the club or its for the radio " . But thats a cop out . Just because its a party song , it couldnt be good musically ? Not true look at songs like "Serpentine Fire" or" Lets Groove Tonight " By Earth , Wind and Fire. They were all party songs that ? musically. Or what about the ultimate cookout song " Before I let Go " Maze it a party song but musically it kills. All i am sayin he is good at what he does but calling his material classic is a reach. Just my opinion .
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Sade , Luther Vandorss. Tower Of Power , Stevie Wonder , Metallica . Beatles Outkast etc . Some not all of Trey Songs music offers nothin musically ( ie Say AHH , LOL , Bottoms UP ETC ) .

The same thing you said here about Trey can be said for all of the artist you named above

Some not all of Sade's music offers nothing musically
    Some Not all of Metallica's music offers nothing musically
    Some not all of Outkast's music offers nothing musically

Feel me, I dont see the point... The songs they put out that you dont consider classic do not take away from the ones they put out that are considered classic..
  • Mrslim1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The same thing you said here about Trey can be said for all of the artist you named above

Some not all of Sade's music offers nothing musically
    Some Not all of Metallica's music offers nothing musically
    Some not all of Outkast's music offers nothing musically

Feel me, I dont see the point... The songs they put out that you dont consider classic do not take away from the ones they put out that are considered classic..

When i say offer you nothin musically , I mean in the artist you have mentioned there is still a degree of musicianship, instrumentation , complex melodies etc. Thats all I am say my dude. Trey is good and can be great but he just have to give you better more consistent quality. The songs that you consider classic I just consider good because I have heard way better.
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    When i say offer you nothin musically , I mean in the artist you have mentioned there is still a degree of musicianship, instrumentation , complex melodies etc. Thats all I am say my dude. Trey is good and can be great but he just have to give you better more consistent quality. The songs that you consider classic I just consider good because I have heard way better.

Its hard to choose a favorite when comparing classic track to classic track... dont discredit the one you dont choose just because you chose the other
  • Mrslim1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Its hard to choose a favorite when comparing classic track to classic track... dont discredit the one you dont choose just because you chose the other
    That's the thing my dude I am not trying to discredit any of Trey's music. I am not one of these dudes that listens to one song from the artist and constructs an opinion. I listen to as many songs from an artist as possible so I can gain a fair opinion of an artist. We have been going back and forth on here for a while , so u know my opinion has changed of Trey. All I am sayin is he is just not on that level just yet. Yea some of his songs are very good. But Classic is a something different. Do I think he is on the right track yes. He is an above average singer and a very good songwriter. But for his songs to be consider classic he has to bring more to the table. More muscianship more depth in his lyrics. Let's take an artist like Gerald Levert. I use him because just like Trey a lot of his music is sexually charged however he was able to present in a way that his music was filled with passion and his lyrics were able to have depth and tell a story. By doing that his fans were able to gain a deeper connection to him as an artist. Trey is getting better but he is just not there yet. And age is no excuse also. Nas wrote Illmatic at a young age, Urban hang Suite was released when Maxwell was 23. Many of the Motown era artist were vey young when that music was made. IMO Trey has to decide does he just want to make hot music ( the same ? he cooked R Kelly on ) or does he want to be an artist that is remember for the list of quality material he has made. Unlike most people I think he has the talent to do the latter.
  • meeks973
    meeks973 Members Posts: 106
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn leak the album laready
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    That's the thing my dude I am not trying to discredit any of Trey's music. I am not one of these dudes that listens to one song from the artist and constructs an opinion. I listen to as many songs from an artist as possible so I can gain a fair opinion of an artist. We have been going back and forth on here for a while , so u know my opinion has changed of Trey. All I am sayin is he is just not on that level just yet. Yea some of his songs are very good. But Classic is a something different. Do I think he is on the right track yes. He is an above average singer and a very good songwriter. But for his songs to be consider classic he has to bring more to the table. More muscianship more depth in his lyrics. Let's take an artist like Gerald Levert. I use him because just like Trey a lot of his music is sexually charged however he was able to present in a way that his music was filled with passion and his lyrics were able to have depth and tell a story. By doing that his fans were able to gain a deeper connection to him as an artist. Trey is getting better but he is just not there yet. And age is no excuse also. Nas wrote Illmatic at a young age, Urban hang Suite was released when Maxwell was 23. Many of the Motown era artist were vey young when that music was made. IMO Trey has to decide does he just want to make hot music ( the same ? he cooked R Kelly on ) or does he want to be an artist that is remember for the list of quality material he has made. Unlike most people I think he has the talent to do the latter.

Ok I see what your saying now... Naa He's not on the level of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or Luther Vandross yet... My thing is he will be... When you study his career its basically no different then theirs. The only thing they have over him is longevity... This is Trey's 4th album coming up in 5 years. He has gotten better and better with each passing album. He actually just became a Superstar so you prolly werent playing as close attention to his career as me. But I remember we were arguing years ago, prolly when "Ready" came out, you was like until he (trey) headlines a tour he not like that (something to that affect) anyway since then Trey headlined the Bet tour, he did that right after we was debating, opened up for Hova and now he got Monica opening up for him on his own Nationwide Tour "The Passion Pain & PLeasure tour" The boy has arrived. The catalogue is there. The only thing more we as fans can expect from this guy is for him to releasing more music.

"All the if's" from the first album, this the song I tell people all the time, its the definition of what classic is... The video aint on youtube so I can never post it, but if anyone was to hear that song male or female, they'll know that Trey deserves all the praise I give him.
  • Mrslim1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ok I see what your saying now... Naa He's not on the level of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or Luther Vandross yet... My thing is he will be... When you study his career its basically no different then theirs. The only thing they have over him is longevity... This is Trey's 4th album coming up in 5 years. He has gotten better and better with each passing album. He actually just became a Superstar so you prolly werent playing as close attention to his career as me. But I remember we were arguing years ago, prolly when "Ready" came out, you was like until he (trey) headlines a tour he not like that (something to that affect) anyway since then Trey headlined the Bet tour, he did that right after we was debating, opened up for Hova and now he got Monica opening up for him on his own Nationwide Tour "The Passion Pain & PLeasure tour" The boy has arrived. The catalogue is there. The only thing more we as fans can expect from this guy is for him to releasing more music.

"All the if's" from the first album, this the song I tell people all the time, its the definition of what classic is... The video aint on youtube so I can never post it, but if anyone was to hear that song male or female, they'll know that Trey deserves all the praise I give him.

Yes he is on his way. Can't deny that. Like I said I have been listening to him since his start. I try to do that with as many artist as possible. The reason I do that is because the music that I enjoy the most ( soul music ). The era when it was most successful and most relevant ( 60's and 70's ) I wasnt old enough to see artist such as Marvin Gaye , Sam Cooke , EWF , Stevie Wonder etc careers progress. Once I got older of course I was able to listen to their catalouge. That's one of the reason I like Maxwell ( outside of his music ) because I was able to see his career progress from begining to now. That's one of the reason I feel that u like Trey ( outside of his music).

As I stated before Trey has the talent IMO to be great but that R&B/Hip Hop hybrid is so wack for an artist like Trey IMO. Yea he can do it to have a lil radio hit here and there but that limits him from being that artist he can be. Now I understand these youngins want to party and that's cool. The weakest song I should ever hear from Trey is " say ahh". Lol and that Bottoms Up ? is horrible and years from now people will not even remember those songs. He is now I a place where people are looking for him for greatness not hotness. He has to deliver with this album. This album has to be Great. I mean " I want you " Marvin Gaye or Songs in the Key of Life . Stevie Wonder great. Now if the entire ablum has songs on the same level of "Can't be Friends" he has a chance. But Bottoms Up is totally unacceptable.
    Respect my dude. Its cool to agree to disgree. I just want more from him that's all. And I think he can give it.
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited August 2010
    Options
    naa naa i feel where you coming from my ? ... I cant reply now cuz im rushing to work... ill holla back