NBA plans for europe expansion.

Options
ATTS
ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
i will be so glad when david stern retires
and by the way, That stricter technical foul policy is really ?
MIAMI -- The travel plans for NBA teams could be a bit more extensive a decade from now.

NBA commissioner David Stern told a luncheon audience in Miami on Friday that he envisions a five-team European division within the league sometime in the next 10 years.

It's not a new notion, but Stern's words nonetheless represented a strong stance that the NBA is more committed than ever to expansion and further globalizing the game.

"It's a wonderful topic, because 10 years ago, I said, 'Oh, it's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years,' " Stern said, speaking to business leaders. "And now what I'm saying is, 'It's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years.' But in terms of globalization, we're going to see a desire for franchises in Europe -- and in about 10 years, you'll send me a postcard."

As for now, the Nets and Raptors will play two regular-season games in London in March.

Stern also recently said the NBA plans a regular-season game in London sometime before the city hosts the 2012 Olympics. He was in town to attend the Miami Heat home opener against the Orlando Magic, the first real game in South Florida for LeBron James and Chris Bosh as Dwyane Wade's teammates.

The talk of European growth comes at a somewhat awkward time, with some in the league fearing that contracting current clubs could be an option as the NBA and players' association continues trying to bridge a wide gap in collective bargaining talks. Just last week, Stern suggested on a conference call with reporters that contraction may be on the table, but said he won't spend "a lot of time on it."

"I think we'll have a division and I think the Heat will play in Boston one night and then they'll go to Paris and spend a couple days on the Champs-Elysses shopping and relaxing," Stern said. "And then they'll go and play five teams. And when they finish that, they'll play them again. Then they'll come home, having had a nice trip to Europe and they'll be finished with their European obligations."

Orlando backup center Marcin Gortat, a native of Poland, didn't seem overjoyed about the idea.

Gortat said players wouldn't want to deal with the travel, that Stern wants to "control the whole world" and that expanding to Europe could hurt the NBA's standing as "the best league on earth."

"That's impossible. In my opinion, that's impossible," Gortat said of the notion. "That's just too much travel. I would just want it just to stay the way it is right now. And if we have to, just maybe expand from Canada."

In other comments:

• With regard to ongoing collective bargaining talks, Stern reiterated he is not pessimistic about business prospects.

"What we have is the extraordinary ability to increase our revenues, except we're currently locked into a system that pays 57 percent of those revenues to the players," he said. "And given the additional expenses it now takes to raise those revenues ... we actually wind up losing a little money. A little, like a few hundred million dollars amongst friends here at lunch."

Stern told the luncheon audience that everyone involved knows what's at stake and that "just about everything" is on the table.

"We think it's getting to be about that time where we have to get serious," he said. "And I hope we can get serious, because we realize that the game is going along quite well. Anticipation is great. There's some other teams in the league besides the Heat that think they have a shot. ... This is going to be a great season and we would like it not to end with a thud."

• Stern lauded Wade for picking up the league's community service award for the offseason, noting his work with children in both Miami and Chicago.

"I often say that community relations and public relations are side-by-side, but public relations relates to how people think about you. Community relations really is about how people feel about you," Stern said. "I know the Heat feels great about Miami and I know that Miami feels great about the Heat."

Comments

• freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I thought the league was losing money ????
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? .. david stern has been dreaming this for a while thus all of the changes to make the game Euro friendly... kinda ironic when they play different than they did years ago
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    david stern is ? ...well maybe not so much but dude is actin like a dam dictator...? dem ? tech fouls...? overkill. plus he a has a very untrusting face...ol' smug sonofabitch.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Get a couple teams in Canada and call it a day
  • ATTS
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ? .. david stern has been dreaming this for a while thus all of the changes to make the game Euro friendly... kinda ironic when they play different than they did years ago

damn...so thats why he is doing all these changes...no one wanna see european teams in the nba..? no...thats why we watch the olympics and world championships to bring countries together.....not the nba going to them..
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol the money wll be there but my attention wont..
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I''l treat the nba lik baseball, wont watch it till the playoffs begin...dayum they keep saturating the sport, next thing you know dunking is going to be worth 1pt, so it can fair fair to the euro players...lol @ euro players giving USA team practice for the dunk contest...u know what i might actually watch this match-ups cuz every time the US plays a euro team all we do is make high-light tapes...IM JUS SAYING
  • ATTS
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I''l treat the nba lik baseball, wont watch it till the playoffs begin...dayum they keep saturating the sport, next thing you know dunking is going to be worth 1pt, so it can fair fair to the euro players...lol @ euro players giving USA team practice for the dunk contest...u know what i might actually watch this match-ups cuz every time the US plays a euro team all we do is make high-light tapes...IM JUS SAYING

LOL..yeah...didnt they see how team usa dominated this year in turkey...as much as europeans have advanced in nba...our guys are still the baddest and the meanest, and will dominate most european teams if they put their mind to it
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Apparently Stern knows how to time travel. smh
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    they buggin with all that travel, put a team in mexico. call them the sombreros or some ?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Not enough populous for sports franchises in Canada.

Montreal could work