Why should Jay Z even be considered GOAT ?

Options

Comments

• D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    Rapping is flowing too and the content of your lyrics no matter how you express it. Canibus might say some ? he doesnt even understand himself but hes not a better rapper for that.

This is what I mean. Jay is the best at balancing both skill and mainstream success. Sales and ? like that dont matter to me but I cant front on a ? who makes great songs and actually SPITS on em.... add to the fact its not like it was Jay's(or BIG's) IMAGE that helped them move units.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    "I'm already the GOAT next stop is the billie"
  • D-Marco
    edited November 2010
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    He is madly overrated and turned a diss track aimed at him into a watered down pop song. He is also a better businessman than rapper , it's like saying 50 cent is a good rapper because he is rich so he cant do wrong.

No 50 cent is a great rapper because of the amount of work he put in. ? act like he wack cuz he put out one album that wasnt good(Curtis). Forgetting how much mixtape material this ? has released. Fans have amnesia. Most ? fav rappers havent put out as much ? as 50 has...for free.

But if it aint Jay its BIG... Pac aint even in my top 5. And again... u wanted a discussion and havent brought any FACTS to the table. Only "pac spits the truth"...no explanation of why Pac is better than Jay
  • jonathand
    jonathand Members Posts: 3,144
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Because its fun. Anyway, while BIG is one of the greats...if he brought nothin original and can be considered GOAT, why can't Jay?

I got nothing but love for Jay. He is one of the only rappers that I will actually pay money for his music and shows. However, BIG was Jay before Jay. That mafioso ? , was BIG first. Being by far the best overall rapper in the game, was BIGs title first. Big dropped a monster double cd, while Jay's was mediocre. They both dropped flawless debuts, are equal lyrically and have flows that have no flaws what so ever. Big, however, was a better storyteller and for his size out, put on a great show. So, he has the crown. There is no better than BIG. Bottom line. No rapper combined every element the way BIG did.
  • D-Marco
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    cause he looks like a camel..which isn't ? for these haters when they judge music...

How un-heterosexual of these ? ...smh
  • D-Marco
    edited November 2010
    Options
    jonathand wrote: »
    I got nothing but love for Jay. He is one of the only rappers that I will actually pay money for his music and shows. However, BIG was Jay before Jay. That mafioso ? , was BIG first. Being by far the best overall rapper in the game, was BIGs title first. Big dropped a monster double cd, while Jay's was mediocre. They both dropped flawless debuts, are equal lyrically and have flows that have no flaws what so ever. Big, however, was a better storyteller and for his size out, put on a great show. So, he has the crown. There is no better than BIG. Bottom line. No rapper combined every element the way BIG did.

I can agree with this. Jay only surpasses Big to me recently. And thats only based on amount of works to judge. What BIG did in 2 albums most rappers cant do their whole career.

I wrestle back and forth between the 2 because... if u just read the lyrics of RD and RTD....Jay was on another level lyrically too. But LAD and RD are in my top 3 Cds all time
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I have a feeling t/s it stuck in his opinion about jay,which is fine
    he just doesn't see jay as one of the greats and theres nothing you can say to convince him otherwise
    so there's no point in trying to convince him
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    well got damyum at this original thread... and what do you know... if you're a fan you're a warrior... wow this rhetoric has never been breached before. On topic though...

Technical skills= Yes
    Song making abilities= Yes
    Longevity= Yes
    Subject Matter= Limited although there have been a few songs
    Lyrical= A few songs are emotionally charged
    Record Sales= Yes
    Fan Base= Yes
    Classics= Three some will say 2 or some will say 4
    Flow= Yes
    Delivery= Yes
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    JayZ is only the GOAT to white boys. They're way too many artists who ? all over JayZ when it comes to actual talent...
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    how is Jay Z the GOAT when eminem has sold TWICE of his total sales in HALF the time?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Technical skills= 7/10
    Song making abilities= 8/10
    Longevity= 6/10...he fell the ? off
    Subject Matter= 4/10... his subject matter is tired as hell
    Lyrical= 6/10
    Record Sales= 10/10
    Fan Base= 9/10
    Classics= He has none

Not a GOAT candidate at all, unless you weight record sales and fan base way heavier than the other categories (which are the ones that really matter).
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    JAY-Z02.jpg
  • P. Town
    edited November 2010
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    how is Jay Z the GOAT when eminem has sold TWICE of his total sales in HALF the time?

Who????....
  • tompetrez3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Who????....

this rapper that sold 47 million compared to Jay Z anorexic 23 million.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    edited November 2010
    Options

when jay fans bring up sales you have a ? fit but when they can used to your advantage its okay right?
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    *sighs* dont we get tired of talkin bout this ? .
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    One the business side of rap he might be the GOAT, but as far as his contribution to rap & the culture he's not. Let's face it y'all Jay-Z has bombarded rap music with a bunch of commercially successful fluff music and in many ways ushered in the acceptance of some of the most ? lyrically deficient ? in the game right now. He made it ok to make a bunch of substance free songs that might be appealing to the radio & club goers all while not adding any balance to the material released as a whole. Bottomline he made it the law in rap to get money 1st & ? having or showing skills!!
  • P. Town
    edited November 2010
    Options

Oh, the WHITE rapper, WHITE
  • tompetrez3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    when jay fans bring up sales you have a ? fit but when they can used to your advantage its okay right?

i post unbiased facts. Eminem has sold twice the amount of records Jay Z sold in half the number of albums.
  • tab58064
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ibedamned wrote: »
    I'm tired of hearing his voice on songs. He has nothing fresh to offer any more IMO and he's not even showing any creativity any more. Im my opinion he just rambles on. Better than most, but still he rambles on. I don't enjoy much of his material anymore and that has been the case for about 5 or more years now.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ibedamned wrote: »

Not even the "stans" (whoever their supposed to be nowadays) don't talk about this ? as much.
  • tompetrez3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh, the WHITE rapper, WHITE

Jay Z is supposed to be this GOAT. color shouldnt matter. White boys wear Jordans not Birds
  • P. Town
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Jay Z is supposed to be this GOAT. color shouldnt matter. White boys wear Jordans not Birds

Nawwww ? . WHITE
  • jonlakadeadmic
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i post unbiased facts. Eminem has sold twice the amount of records Jay Z sold in half the number of albums.

personally im a big eminem fan and his record breaking sells are really impressive

however jay-z has more number one albums than elvis presley.
  • tab58064
    edited November 2010
    Options
    yeah & you don't think his appeal as the Great White Hope to white folk had anything at all to do with that?? Now I'm not taking anything away from Em, but you can't possible not believe that the fact that because he's white & the biggest purchasers of rap music are white too had nothing to do with his huge sales numbers over Jay's.