lmfao looks like Keri Hilson said ? it and came to grips with her career

2»

Comments

• kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited November 2010
    There's a lane for her, she just hasn't found it yet. There's also star quality there. For example, some would say there was no lane for Missy Eliott who was also an accomplished songwriter before pursuing a solo career. Only those who saw her at work knew that she had star quality. Just looking at Missy, many were surprised at what became of her career. The thing with Keri is that unlike Missy, she's not bringing anything fresh or new to the table. It's cookie-cutter material.

Very True. But the difference between Missy and Keri is that Missy produced a lot of her own music along with Timbaland, and wrote and produced a lot more hits before and during her career. She was an emcee and singer, during a time when only the likes of Da Brat, Lil Kim, and Foxy was on top as female rappers. So that gave her a lane all by herself. Keri has to compete in an industry that's blurred the lines of Female R&B and sort of just lumped it in with Female pop since there really isn't that many female R&B singers on top. So she has Ciara, Keysha Cole, Monica, Beyonce', and all the female pop stars on top of their game too. She's just trying to exist in a different time, if this was ten years ago, she'll be killin the game.
  • Koko888
    Koko888 Members Posts: 298
    edited November 2010
    starvin wrote: »
    I actually found her ten times more attractive on " knock you down" compared to this not as forced

I totally agree, with hindsight probably the peak of her career, clearly
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    I dont even get the point of the video. I mean minus her non-dancing wanna be Ciara in this video ? ...oh and lookin like a ? . What was the POINT? At the end...i mean she just handcuffed them together and looked like they were goin to a room to ? . what the hell was the point?
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    blackrain wrote: »
    nah naming the album No Boys Allowed did it...

Oh.....smh.
    You win, you got this one.
  • MsVShantrell
    MsVShantrell Members Posts: 155
    edited November 2010
    I dont even get the point of the video. I mean minus her non-dancing wanna be Ciara in this video ? ...oh and lookin like a ? . What was the POINT? At the end...i mean she just handcuffed them together and looked like they were goin to a room to ? . what the hell was the point?

Smh.. That's pretty much what I was thinking.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    There's a lane for her, she just hasn't found it yet. There's also star quality there. For example, some would say there was no lane for Missy Eliott who was also an accomplished songwriter before pursuing a solo career. Only those who saw her at work knew that she had star quality. Just looking at Missy, many were surprised at what became of her career. The thing with Keri is that unlike Missy, she's not bringing anything fresh or new to the table. It's cookie-cutter material.

There's a HUGE difference between Missy and Keri.

Missy - She has the ability to reinvent her music and herself each year with innovative/energetic music that inspires others.
    She has star quality. No matter how a person looks (this shouldnt even be subjective but meh) it's either you have the quality to possess people to like you and your music. It's called being charismatic
    No one was "surprised" when missy became a solo artist because when you look at her first videos; she captures the audience to want more from her.

Keri - She tries to reinvent herself to be different from other women in pop/r&b but she doesnt have a sound for "Keri".
    When you listen to her music; you can hear other artists that the song was intended for (i.e. slow dance/beyonce, turning me off/rhianna)
    Her look is different and she's very beautiful/nice in person; however that doesnt solidify her having star quality. If that was the case then Kelly Rowland would be a star too.
    There isnt a lane for Keri because she isnt different from ciara, beyonce,rhianna,and any other pop/r&b singer

similarities between missy & keri - they are both great song writers.

secondly, It's less expensive to have a songwriter/singer because it cuts cost for the record company. sad but true. :(
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Good Career move for this ? .She is ugly and can't sing so she might as well sel her body.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    There's a HUGE difference between Missy and Keri.

Missy - She has the ability to reinvent her music and herself each year with innovative/energetic music that inspires others.
    She has star quality. No matter how a person looks (this shouldnt even be subjective but meh) it's either you have the quality to possess people to like you and your music. It's called being charismatic
    No one was "surprised" when missy became a solo artist because when you look at her first videos; she captures the audience to want more from her.

Keri - She tries to reinvent herself to be different from other women in pop/r&b but she doesnt have a sound for "Keri".
    When you listen to her music; you can hear other artists that the song was intended for (i.e. slow dance/beyonce, turning me off/rhianna)
    Her look is different and she's very beautiful/nice in person; however that doesnt solidify her having star quality. If that was the case then Kelly Rowland would be a star too.
    There isnt a lane for Keri because she isnt different from ciara, beyonce,rhianna,and any other pop/r&b singer

similarities between missy & keri - they are both great song writers.

secondly, It's less expensive to have a songwriter/singer because it cuts cost for the record company. sad but true. :(

There's more similarities between Keri and Missy than that. Neither of them started out as solo acts. It was a transition. In Missy's case, she started out in a defunct R&B group and later went on to primarily writing for other artists and dropping guest vocals. She wasn't even going to do a solo record until Diddy convinced her to. People thought Missy would fail because when she came out, there wasn't a lane for what she was doing. I can't think of any female solo acts that were rapping and singing, off the wall videos, and songs that had crickets chirping in the background. Even after Missy blew up, there were people who felt she was just some novelty act that wouldn't last and here she is 5 platinum and 1 gold LP later. Even still, people say that she's only where she is b/c of Timbaland's production despite one of her biggest singles "Lose Control" being produced by Missy herself. So people didn't believe that Missy had star quality. The key difference is that Missy found her own lane from the jump. She had an identity outside of the records she penned for Aaliyah and Ginuwine. Missy's more of a chameleon in that she becomes who she needs to be when it's time to do her solo stuff and when she writes for someone else. Keri hasn't amassed the success that Missy has as a solo artist and probably won't until she finds the lane that defines her as an artist.

Another similarity is that both are Timbaland produced artists.

Keri's music doesn't really imitate anyone's sound, it just doesn't stand out. "Slow Down" definitely doesn't sound like a Beyonce record. It sounds more like something Tweet would make.

All in all, everybody has star quality. Some stars just shine brighter and longer than others. It's all in finding that light and turning it on.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Link aint working, whats the video???
  • KEITH.MAX
    KEITH.MAX Members Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Link aint working, whats the video???
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited December 2010
    wow ppl on here actually liked this girl? i always thought she was garbage... i cant even name a song she sings except her being in nas' "hero". lol