Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You just proved you have free will Whar.

So now, will you freely choose to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

By proving I have free will I have proven that ? can not be All-Knowing.

So now, will you choose to return to mind to a state governed by logic and reason?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    VIBE86,

You actually believe that a person can be born ? ?
    It's already been observed that men with multiple biological older brothers born from the same mother, are more likely to be homosexuals. Such a correlation was not seen with men who have multiple older brothers who weren't born from the same mother. So, at the least, this shows that pre-birth biological factors do have an effect on a person's sexuality.

Based on that, I wouldn't dismiss that people can be "born ? ".
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    By proving I have free will I have proven that ? can not be All-Knowing.

So now, will you choose to return to mind to a state governed by logic and reason?
    Not only that, even "? " can't have "free will", if "? " is omniscient and omnipotent. For if "? " knows everything, it knows its own future, and if "? " can do anything, it can deviate from its own future. However, if "? " really knew its own future, any deviating actions that it would make would also be known; meaning "? " would not actually be deviating from its future. Therefore, if "? " know its own future and can't deviate from it, this means, despite being able to do anything, "? " doesn't necessarily "choose" to do anything, as "? 's" future actions have already been defined by "? 's" absolute knowledge of the future.

Thus, if "? " knows its own future, yet can't choose to deviate from it, "? " does not have "free will".
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    VIBE86,

You actually believe that a person can be born ? ?

I would like to think they aren't but based on what I keep reading it isn't ruled out. It's very possible you are born ? , IF SO, will this (I think so) rock the world of believers?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    I would like to think they aren't but based on what I keep reading it isn't ruled out. It's very possible you are born ? , IF SO, will this (I think so) rock the world of believers?

No, because it will be the same old "well they have the free will to be ? or not. The "? gene" only gives them the ability to". Or they will flat out dismiss the study like they do with evolution.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    1. Are you a robot?
    Yes. Yes, I am literally a robot.
  • think
    think Members Posts: 687
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I considered wifing up an atheist but broke it off because she had no respect for my ? . She was nagging me saying, you'd rather spend time to pray to your ? then be with your girl? She also hated how I had a rosary in my pocket and sometimes on my neck. I could only forsee future problems we'd have in the future. I respect her her stance in atheism and she didn't respect mind.

Do you guys think it could have worked?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    stop having an imaginary friend and maybe you can get some ? , ?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    NO!

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

? will provide you a wife my friend. Just be patient.
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    stop having an imaginary friend and maybe you can get some ? , ?

That's cute, but do you think you can give me a more tolerant response? I'm willing to listen to atheists.
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    NO!

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

? will provide you a wife my friend. Just be patient.

I appreciate that. I've dated girls from all religions but my own. It never worked. Maybe it is a sign that I need to stay with my own kind.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    think wrote: »
    That's cute, but do you think you can give me a more tolerant response? I'm willing to listen to atheists.

well, short answer is sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont

it depends on the attitudes of the people involved

usually its the other way around though, with the woman being religious and the man being rational

which i think would work better, since men are more likely to just leave women alone with their delusions because... well... because we're getting ? , so we could care less
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    wtf? ? u carry around a rosary in ur pocket?
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    wtf? ? u carry around a rosary in ur pocket?

I'm Catholic. My grandpa used to carry a rosary in his pocket and when he died my grandma passed it on to me. It has a lot of sentimental value and is a form of protection.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I appreciate that. I've dated girls from all religions but my own. It never worked. Maybe it is a sign that I need to stay with my own kind.
    Believe that my brother in Christ. ? bless.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm Catholic. My grandpa used to carry a rosary in his pocket and when he died my grandma passed it on to me. It has a lot of sentimental value and is a form of protection.

protection? protection from who?
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i don't think so. it's not even an atheist/theist issue, too many stark differences doesn't make for a strong bond.

What are these stark differences that you speak of? School me please.
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    protection? protection from who?

From ? <had to insert more characters here>
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    What are these stark differences that you speak of? School me please.

well, for starters, you're gonna spend your life depending on guidance from a thing that doesn't exist

and she'll be using logic

so you'll constantly be clashing over every decision
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    1. Sin brings death. The WHOLE creation groans because of the curse of sin. "For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now." Romans 8:22

Wait, so we humans die because we sin correct? Therefore we could conclude if we didn't sin, we would "live forever" right?

Do you understand that is stupid? To seriously believe sin is the reason for us to actually die is very stupid. What about stars? They live for BILLIONS/MILLIONS of years, then they die. Trees, which can live HUNDREDS of years die.

EVENTUALLY things DIE because that's NATURAL IN NATURE. Not because someone sinned. What does a tree, grass, stars, suns, planets etc have to do with US humans when we do things that are wrong? How is it that WE CAUSE THEM TO DIE BY SIN as well?
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    well, for starters, you're gonna spend your life depending on guidance from a thing that doesn't exist

and she'll be using logic

so you'll constantly be clashing over every decision

I think you mischaracterize me as some "? Jesus freak".

I am religious but not overly religious. I believe in free will and logic. I don't necessary subscribe to the belief of leaving everything up to ? . I'm only religious in the sense that I believe in an afterlife. I am tolerant of other religions no doubt.I don't even agree or believe everything in the bible.

I'm just curious, do you personally believe in karma?
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It depends on the type.

A non-religious theist and an atheist could probably work.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think you mischaracterize me as some "? Jesus freak".

I am religious but not overly religious. I believe in free will and logic. I don't necessary subscribe to the belief of leaving everything up to ? . I'm only religious in the sense that I believe in an afterlife. I am tolerant of other religions no doubt.I don't even agree or believe everything in the bible.
    My bad. So why didn't it work out?
    I'm just curious, do you personally believe in karma?
    No, of course not.
  • think
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My bad. So why didn't it work out?

It's cool. It didn't work out for a combination of things. The 2 biggest things were here intolerance of my beliefs and her low self esteem. I think it was for the best, but sometimes I second guess myself.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I been married 7 years. Six of them I would be considered an atheist and my wife up until about a week ago was strongly Christian and we've never had any major issues because of it.
This discussion has been closed.