edited January 2011 in The Essence
my vote is for overcast.

any opinions?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I was always put off initially after hearing Slug on the Lucy Ford LP. I thought he was too Emo at the time.

So I only got into them with When Life Gives You Lemons. After hearing most of their other stuff now, it'll always remain my favourite because it was the album that got me into them and I personally felt the production was too nice. Slug really got into it too.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    well cant pick one so for me its Overcast,? Loves Ugly,Lucy Ford,& Sevens travels......i thought When Life gives you lemons was dope but not my fave and im sleeping on the latesr record they have out but ill get it soon.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    well cant pick one so for me its Overcast,? Loves Ugly,Lucy Ford,& Sevens travels......i thought When Life gives you lemons was dope but not my fave and im sleeping on the latesr record they have out but ill get it soon.

It's just an EP their latest though, the new one coming this year I think...

I felt Lucy Ford was OTT I F*ck You Lucy.... that said, I know Sevens Travels (from what I've read) is supposed to be their best, I've only ever listened to all the other albums the one time (I try to listen to everything). That said, I'll go back and check the catalogue when I get chance. But I played WLGYL about 10 times straight through, it was one of my favourites of that year.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ahh man Im big on the atmos...id have to say sad clown bad dub 2(technically not atmosphere), se7en, overcast and you cant imagine how much fun were having. I think slug has some dope rhymes, and they definately have their own take on hiphop. I gotta give slug and ant much props on that, especially with the limited use of samples and use of a band lately. They still amaze me, also great to see live. I remember seeing slug at scribble jam years ago with brother ali and murs...I was isntantly hooked....some of my favs:
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ahh man Im big on the atmos...id have to say sad clown bad dub 2(technically not atmosphere), se7en, overcast and you cant imagine how much fun were having. I think slug has some dope rhymes, and they definately have their own take on hiphop. I gotta give slug and ant much props on that, especially with the limited use of samples and use of a band lately. They still amaze me, also great to see live. I remember seeing slug at scribble jam years ago with brother ali and murs...I was isntantly hooked....some of my favs:

Bet that scribble jam was amazin'.

Listening to the tracks you dropped now :tu

These are my favourite Atmosphere tracks:

Yesterday 28 plays
    Can see the prominence of WLGYL lol
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Atmosphere is one of my favorite groups ever. I love most all their albums for different reasons. My personal favorite is You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having. Ant was his most varietal and precise as a producer. Slug was lyrically solid and switching up his flows a lot and the album had a lot of great concept tracks. Panic Attack is one of my favorite Atmosphere tracks ever, and Slugs flow and Ant's nest mimic a Panic Attack even. Hockey Hair and Angelface have Slug at some of his most poetic. That Night is one of the most touching songs I've heard from them. Little Man is a great concept track with Slug taking writing to his son and dad, and then takes the view of his mom. Pour Me Another is Atmosphere at their depressing best lol. And Watch Out was a fun battle track type song. So much good and so creative on this album.

Lucy Ford may be the most personal album and most heartfelt, and When Life Gives You Lemons is one of the best storytelling albums ever in Hip Hop, but on ou Can't Imagine, the two got a little bit of everything right and reached a new high in chemistry between each other.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    When Life gives you lemons you paint that ? gold
    Lucy Ford
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Atmosphere is one of my favorite groups ever. I love most all their albums for different reasons. My personal favorite is You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having. Ant was his most varietal and precise as a producer. Slug was lyrically solid and switching up his flows a lot and the album had a lot of great concept tracks. Panic Attack is one of my favorite Atmosphere tracks ever, and Slugs flow and Ant's nest mimic a Panic Attack even. Hockey Hair and Angelface have Slug at some of his most poetic. That Night is one of the most touching songs I've heard from them. Little Man is a great concept track with Slug taking writing to his son and dad, and then takes the view of his mom. Pour Me Another is Atmosphere at their depressing best lol. And Watch Out was a fun battle track type song. So much good and so creative on this album.

Lucy Ford may be the most personal album and most heartfelt, and When Life Gives You Lemons is one of the best storytelling albums ever in Hip Hop, but on ou Can't Imagine, the two got a little bit of everything right and reached a new high in chemistry between each other.

Nice post, this makes my revisiting of their albums easier as I'll just pop to the tracks that you mentioned.

I did feel like Lucy Ford was an emo album, but I listened to it many years ago now. I do need to revisit, but I literally need time to stop for a year to catch up with everyone, I try to branch out to too many artists.

Great breakdown though, solid post Ty :tu

Who are your other favourite groups? Maybe you should make a thread or two :tu
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hard to say for me because I think they get better with each and every album. ou Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having definitely hits me pretty hard because of the emotional and historical connection I have with it but really...they don't have a bad album to me. Some of the eps are my favorites as well.
  • stupot0607
    edited January 2011
    Options
    heres my most listened to Atmosphere

Scalp = 46 plays (amazing story telling)
    Between the Lines = 35 plays
    Modern Mans Hustle = 30 plays
    Atmosphere one of the greatest hip hop groups ever IMO
  • stupot0607
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    it's in between when life gives you lemons & ? loves ugly

I Agree with this but to be honest each Atmosphere album has something different to offer, and they all sound unique.

When life gives you lemons is the best musically.
    Lucy Ford is the most "Emo" although i hate that term.
    ? Loves ugly is just weird and has a dense sound to it (i cant really explain the sound)