How the hell is New York the mecca of basketball????

Options

Comments

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    are ? discussing the NBA or looking at basketball in the streets
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    ? what ya saying nj ? nj...

co-sign... Nj ballers >>> than any state or city
  • rakim ii
    rakim ii Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Cosign

Knicks were trash in the 80's the bridesmaids in the 90's and won titles in 70 and 73

Only thing the knicks ever did was beat the chokin heat 3 outta 4 years besides that their whole history is being kings of ineptitude and gettin sonned by reggie miller and MJ da GOAT
    And the Bulls were ? before and after Jordan.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    barry farms>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rucker park
  • rakim ii
    rakim ii Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Monizzle wrote: »
    as far as teams they suck but as far as games they always have the biggest events in basketball in any other region

College:

Big East Tourney (best confrence tourney in college basketball according to attendance, TV ratings and talent)

Showcase games: Last year uconn vs kentucky this year duke vs st johns etc every year a big named team plays an eastern team in a neutral site)

NBA:
    Best stadium to watch an NBA game from (i have been at the top of the garden and the view is still pretty legit)
    They also sell out weather the team is 0-82 or 82-0..no fair weather fans
    The crowd actually knows basketball unlike LA which is a bunch of celebrities falling asleep courtside or on twitter the whole damn game

Street Ball:
    Rucker park games all sumer

the teams suck but they still have the most basketball events compaired to any other city
    Best playground legends come from NYC (not all but they have allot more than any other city)
    well put slept on post
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Alot of NBA Players played in the Playgrounds in NYC and the best teams highschool teams in NYC and NJ are always better than any other team from the rest of the country..
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Alot of NBA Players played in the Playgrounds in NYC and the best teams highschool teams in NYC and NJ are always better than any other team from the rest of the country..

no they are not...the dmv got that on lock right now
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    MJ and Kareem were born in New York.......close thread lol

Heres a link to all the NBA players from NY:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=NY
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    MJ and Kareem were born in New York.......close thread lol

Heres a link to all the NBA players from NY:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=NY

jordan was born but wasnt raised there. invalid on that nucca
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    i dont even know anymore

The best ballers come from the DC/Maryland area

tumblr_ljctha3m5J1qbipv3o1_500.gif
    who are these ballers from maryland/dc? durant, carmelo anthony, AI from va, who else?
  • oldhead77
    oldhead77 Members Posts: 862 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    tumblr_ljctha3m5J1qbipv3o1_500.gif
    who are these ballers from maryland/dc? durant, carmelo anthony, AI from va, who else?

Present
    Delonte West
    Jeff Green
    Kevin Durant
    Dante Cunningham
    Greivis Vasquez
    Roy Hibbert

Past
    Sherman Douglas
    Lawrence Moten
    Mike Sweetney
    Walt Williams
    Reggie Lewis (R.I.P)
    ? Bias (R.I.P)
    Mugsy Bogues
    Reggie Williams
    David Wingate
    Sam Cassell
    Charles Smith (PG for Celtics that unfortunately got the vehicular manslaughter charge)
    Danny Ferry
    Johnny Dawkins
    Adrian Dantley
    Adrian Branch

Wayback Past
    Dave Bing (Hall Of Famer)
    Elgin Baylor (Hall Of Famer)

this is just for starters so if I've left someone out fill in the blank

the DMV is basketball country and has been that way for decades....only in the last 10-15 years has the DMV been gradually producing Football talent on a more consistent basis
  • DarkestKnyght
    DarkestKnyght Members Posts: 22
    edited June 2011
    Options
    They call NY the mecca of basketball not because of who came out of there. Its the mecca because MSG was one of the first places back in the day where they had televised games. It brought the game a more to the forefront of american sports. It was a place where you could showcase your talent to the world and it be televised and written about in newspapers. You could not do that anywhere else. This is why players had there best games in NYC because they knew if they did the whole country would hear about it. Also, the NBA draft has always been held there.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Like Football is king in Florida and Texas, Basketball is king in Chicago and New York. Philly, LA, and DMV gets a nod also but Over many years New York was king.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thats b/c NY is the "Self-proclaimed" mecca of basketball you can ask any New Yorker their the best at everthing. They have alot of tournaments for the youth out there but You should when you have 10 million ppl in one city. And these basketball prodigys they had never lived up. Anywhere from Telfair, Lenny Cooke(who supposedly was betta than Bron), Omar Cook, Kenny Anderson(great in college but bottomed out in the NBA).
    NEW RULE: if your nba team hasn’t won a championship in 37 years, your city hasn’t had an ncaa division one champion in 60 years, and if seattle f*cking washington is currently producing more relevant nba players than you are, you can no longer refer to yourself as “the mecca of basketball”
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    Thats b/c NY is the "Self-proclaimed" mecca of basketball you can ask any New Yorker their the best at everthing. They have alot of tournaments for the youth out there but You should when you have 10 million ppl in one city. And these basketball prodigys they had never lived up. Anywhere from Telfair, Lenny Cooke, Omar Cook, Kenny Anderson(great in college but bottomed out in the NBA).
    NEW RULE: if your nba team hasn’t won a championship in 37 years, your city hasn’t had an ncaa division one champion in 60 years, and if seattle f*cking washington is currently producing more relevant nba players than you are, you can no longer refer to yourself as “the mecca of basketball”
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    etherv1-lg.jpg
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Lou Al Cindor is from NY as well.. U heard of him.. He is the all time leading scorer of the NBA and has multiple championships..

Okay. So Crawford, Mississippi is the "Mecca" of football right?

Rice(1).jpg

Or St. Simons, Georgia? (birthplace of Jim Brown -- arguably the greatest athlete of all time.)

Yeah, that sounds about right.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

Or St. Simons, Georgia? (birthplace of Jim Brown -- arguably the greatest athlete of all time.)

Yeah, that sounds about right.
    thats where Im from

Just read the whole thread.. At the end of the day.. I know people are tired of New Yorker arrogance and our pompous attitude.. But u know what.. ? yall.. We have the label whether truly deserved or not.. We have it.. Dont like it.. Do something about it instead of ? on a Message Board.. No matter what NY sets the precedent for a lot of things.. Music, Fashion, Sports etc..

New York is the greatest city on the planet.. Accept it and Move on.. Simple..

LA >>>>NY
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    LoL.. Thats laughable...

so are the knicks, stephon marbury and manhattan's college basketball program
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lmao im not even from NY.....but some of yall are showing your clear biasness against NY period.....its understandable though
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    oldhead77 wrote: »
    Present
    Delonte West
    Jeff Green
    Kevin Durant
    Dante Cunningham
    Greivis Vasquez
    Roy Hibbert
    Sam Young
    Ty Lawson
    Mike Beasley
    Rudy ?

Past
    Sherman Douglas
    Lawrence Moten
    Mike Sweetney
    Walt Williams
    Reggie Lewis (R.I.P)
    ? Bias (R.I.P)
    Mugsy Bogues
    Reggie Williams
    David Wingate
    Sam Cassell
    Charles Smith (PG for Celtics that unfortunately got the vehicular manslaughter charge)
    Danny Ferry
    Johnny Dawkins
    Adrian Dantley
    Adrian Branch

Wayback Past
    Dave Bing (Hall Of Famer)
    Elgin Baylor (Hall Of Famer)

this is just for starters so if I've left someone out fill in the blank

the DMV is basketball country and has been that way for decades....only in the last 10-15 years has the DMV been gradually producing Football talent on a more consistent basis

theres more i cant think of off the top
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    Mecca |ˈmekə|
    • [as n. ] ( a Mecca) a place that attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest : Holland is a Mecca for jazz enthusiasts.
    I'm waiting for one of you haters to debate this....
    ol hating ass smart dumb ? ...

so Ny is a basketball mecca b/c it attracts people with that interest??....so does indiana, LA, chicago, North carolina...none of them claim to be the mecca
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Say what u want about my Knicks.. But my Knicks are in Prime position to win rings in the coming years.. Stephon Marbury was a top 5 PG in his Prime.. An Manhattan College BBALL is irrelevent.. Talk about St. John.. Or even UCONN.. Which is in the tri state area.. Yeah u know the team that has Kemba Walker and just won the National Title. And usually puts an ass whoopin on Duke, UNC, and any other team u can think off.. smh.. But you dont hear me though...

Conneticuit is in New York now?? yall ? are so powerful yall can claim other states and cities now?? and st johns is also garbage an irrelevant
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I queston NY being the mecca and yall call it hate?? why?? if u were superior at ball it wouldnt be hard to prove it...Boston garden and the western forum and venice beach in CA were also just as revered as msg and rucker....
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol...
    thats the thing b...
    its not about superiority...
    and no Boston Garden and the Western forum were not and are not revered in the same way that MSG is...
    I repeat the title does not suggest superiority... damn...
    NY is the Fashion capital , that doesn't mean that all of the best fashion comes from there...
    same with it being the Financial capital...
    the answer to the thread question has been answered...
    any more talk about NY being inferior in terms of its basketball talent is just hate...

^^^^ Best Pro-NY-Mecca post in this thread.

But the problem is that most of the other "pro-NY-mecca" posters in here ARE CONFUSING "Mecca" with superiority. Notice the childish "we just the best so that's it" type responses, lol.

HOWEVER, I still disagree with the belief that NY is basketball holy-ground. Street ball holy ground? Yeah. REAL basketball -- ? no. There are about 10 college courts all over the country and a few other NBA courts/cities that have just as much or more "holiness" than NYC.
  • Copper
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol...
    thats the thing b...
    its not about superiority...
    and no Boston Garden and the Western forum were not and are not revered in the same way that MSG is...
    I repeat the title does not suggest superiority... damn...
    NY is the Fashion capital , that doesn't mean that all of the best fashion comes from there...
    same with it being the Financial capital...
    the answer to the thread question has been answered...
    any more talk about NY being inferior in terms of its basketball talent is just hate...
    OK I see what u saying but boston garden was revered just as much as msg was before it was ripped down...maybe not to newyorkers...but the earth doesnt revovle around yall....and alot of ny'ers take mecca as meaning that they are superior to anyone else which is false. and alot to other places are looked at as basketball states/cities just as NY is ex; Indiana and North Carolina