Jets plan to release RB Thomas Jones

Options
allied
allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
I had a feeling this would happen...I think Jones is one of the most underrated backs in NFL history but the Jets hands were tied considering the final eight rules.

Running back Thomas Jones will not restructure his contract and will be released this week, sources told ESPN on Saturday.Jones
Jones, who will become a free agent March 5, was slated to receive a $3 million roster bonus March 9 and a $2.8 million base salary in 2010.

Jones, who has played the last three seasons for the Jets, rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns on 331 carries last season. The Jets reached the AFC Championship Game.

Jones has 9,217 career rushing yards in 10 seasons with the Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Comments

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    He better get that money in 2010 because who knows what will happen after that.
  • allied
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It basically came down to the fact that the Jets didn't want to pay Jones top back money. Unlike LT or Westbrook, Jones had a very good year, but the Jets have a young back in Shonne Grenne that they and I want to see get the bulk next year. Jones has too much pride to take a paycut; and that's that.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    He should go back to Chicago.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    It basically came down to the fact that the Jets didn't want to pay Jones top back money. Unlike LT or Westbrook, Jones had a very good year, but the Jets have a young back in Shonne Grenne that they and I want to see get the bulk next year. Jones has too much pride to take a paycut; and that's that.

and we still got Leon Washington coming back from injury next year....no reason to pay Jones that much money and have a 3 back system....now they'll just use 2, and Shonn Greene is most likely gonna jus take over Jones' role of the "between the tackles" rb....

i was hopin we could've traded Jones to SD for Cromartie though
  • allied
    edited February 2010
    Options
    and we still got Leon Washington coming back from injury next year....no reason to pay Jones that much money and have a 3 back system....now they'll just use 2, and Shonn Greene is most likely gonna jus take over Jones' role of the "between the tackles" rb....

i was hopin we could've traded Jones to SD for Cromartie though

I hope the Jets would be able to dupe the Chargers but why would they release LT and then trade for a older TJ? That would be foolish. They will probably try to trade him for Stephen Jackson.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

He'll be coming back from a compound fracture. That's gonna be tough on anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses some of his speed.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    how big is jones contract? i know hes making good money, but shon greene is on a rookie contract, so it should balance out. another year of sanchez+greene/jones back would be a good look for them
  • allied
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    how big is jones contract? i know hes making good money, but shon greene is on a rookie contract, so it should balance out. another year of sanchez+greene/jones back would be a good look for them

Jones was due 2.8 million but had a 3 million dollar bonus, that probably was what the Jets had issue with. As much as I like Jones you can't pay that much to a #2 back which is what Jones is on this team now. Grenne is the same runner but with MUCH more speed as you would probably know as a Bengals fan. So this had to happen. And I'm guessing with the Jets releasing Jones they must feel that Leon Washington will make a full recovery.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jones was due 2.8 million but had a 3 million dollar bonus, that probably was what the Jets had issue with. As much as I like Jones you can't pay that much to a #2 back which is what Jones is on this team now. Grenne is the same runner but with MUCH more speed as you would probably know as a Bengals fan. So this had to happen. And I'm guessing with the Jets releasing Jones they must feel that Leon Washington will make a full recovery.

lol i know it all too well
  • allied
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^^^Yeah man that's what I'm saying he has that break away speed that surprises you. The Jets offense started to explode when he took the carries. And I won't lie, I love that his last name is Grenne, I'll get his jersey at one point.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^^^Yeah man that's what I'm saying he has that break away speed that surprises you. The Jets offense started to explode when he took the carries. And I won't lie, I love that his last name is Grenne, I'll get his jersey at one point.

he'll end up in SD
  • ReppinBKtotheFullest
    ReppinBKtotheFullest Members Posts: 166
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dude was good but i wont miss him
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Damn he was pretty good this past season but this is a business. I would really have wanted to see him and Greene together again for another year.
  • DatGuyJ22
    DatGuyJ22 Members Posts: 1,093
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dumb move the Jets won't even make the playoffs next year, Greene is good but not as a # 1 and. Washington is comin off injury

Jones will probably find a new team this week

Giants still run NY
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited February 2010
    Options
    DatGuyJ22 wrote: »
    Dumb move the Jets won't even make the playoffs next year, Greene is good but not as a # 1 and. Washington is comin off injury

Giants still run NY

2 wrongs dont make a right ? !
  • allied
    edited February 2010
    Options

Giants still run NY

If your squad can stop giving up 40 points a game that will be a step in the right direction
  • DatGuyJ22
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If your squad can stop giving up 40 points a game that will be a step in the right direction

We just got a new defensive coordinator so next season gonna be different
    2 wrongs dont make a right ? !

You know it's true, but on some real ? without Jones I dont see them makin it, but I didnt think they make it to the AFC championship either
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    They feel since the jets went to the playoffs they getting the big head and releasing people who got them there,the NFL has lost their loving freaking minds!!!!!!!!!
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    He is underrated.. Idk y they do that
  • allied
    edited March 2010
    Options
    They feel since the jets went to the playoffs they getting the big head and releasing people who got them there,the NFL has lost their loving freaking minds!!!!!!!!!

What the ? are you talking about did you watch the playoffs? The Jets have a young running back who is ready to take carries and thomas jones is not a #1 back on this team. He's going to get a deal but it won't be for 5 mill. I think the NFL is ? up too but this is getting rid of an aging RB one year too early before one year to late.
  • DatGuyJ22
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Lol @ thomas jones not bein a # 1 running back have you seen his stats the last couple of years and doesnt't show any signs of slowing down, he been one of the top running backs in the league, Greene hasn't even played a full season as a # 1 back yet so I don't see how he'll be better than Jones
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i think the JETS will draft a rb anyway.
  • Rated R
    Rated R Members Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jones isn't gonna do anything more than LT did with that offensive line. With that said Chargers are either getting one of the top running backs in a trade or they draft and start over. As far as Jones goes, maybe Houston or Seattle
  • allied
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Lol @ thomas jones not bein a # 1 running back have you seen his stats the last couple of years and doesnt't show any signs of slowing down, he been one of the top running backs in the league, Greene hasn't even played a full season as a # 1 back yet so I don't see how he'll be better than Jones

You have to read more carefully, I said he is not a #1 anymore on the Jets. Greene will and should get more carries and I see him doing an admirable job. Greene hasn't played a full season. He only has played one season so what are you basing that on? If you have a brand new stallion, you don't leave it in the ranch until she get old.