So why aren't more people upset with Obama and the money we are spending in libya

Options
ImSoReal
ImSoReal Members Posts: 2,009
edited June 2011 in The Social Lounge
yes I know we haven't sent troops over there, but the amount of resources and money we are spending to help NATO is unexcusable. It seems like Obama is getting off on this, and no one is questioning him or getting tough. Why get involved in another conflict. By the way Obama should give back that Nobel Peace Prize that he had no business winning in the first place

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol..........if its not one thing its another.. we have been spending money around the world for decades..
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    People can get upset about it all they want them muthafuckas gon do what the ? they want .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I've been weary of this whole libya incursion since the jump: seems like the administration got tricked by the french and arab league into doing all the work, yet doesn't seem to be any obvious benefits for the US. I'm not really concerned about the money, more about the casualties and general destruction of libya... And I don't believe in humanitarian airstrikes, so the whole premise seems counterintuitive to me.

Problem with obama is he's such a fence sitter. He lets his staff or the congress or whoever fight it out and then he just sides with whoever makes the best pitch. He should not have let Clinton and Rice talk him into this.

And yea it's pathetic that Americans don't give two ? about this, especially on the Dem side after all that carping about the invasion and occupation of Iraq you'd think they'd at least be skeptical about this.
  • ImSoReal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I've been weary of this whole libya incursion since the jump: seems like the administration got tricked by the french and arab league into doing all the work, yet doesn't seem to be any obvious benefits for the US. I'm not really concerned about the money, more about the casualties and general destruction of libya... And I don't believe in humanitarian airstrikes, so the whole premise seems counterintuitive to me.

Problem with obama is he's such a fence sitter. He lets his staff or the congress or whoever fight it out and then he just sides with whoever makes the best pitch. He should not have let Clinton and Rice talk him into this.

And yea it's pathetic that Americans don't give two ? about this, especially on the Dem side after all that carping about the invasion and occupation of Iraq you'd think they'd at least be skeptical about this.

The dems don't care because he is a democrat, if a republican was doing this ? trust me you would hear them loud and clear
  • ImSoReal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol..........if its not one thing its another.. we have been spending money around the world for decades..

yes, I know this, I just want people to admit that the hope and change that Obama talked about was all ? . All politicians give the same damn speeches just reworded, and nothing really changes
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    People should be. this is known as the ''secret war''. Because yes, Obama did jump into a war. That again has to do with iraq and iran
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ImSoReal wrote: »
    yes I know we haven't sent troops over there, but the amount of resources and money we are spending to help NATO is unexcusable. It seems like Obama is getting off on this, and no one is questioning him or getting tough. Why get involved in another conflict. By the way Obama should give back that Nobel Peace Prize that he had no business winning in the first place

That may be a big reason why.

The United States getting so involved in the Libya situation doesn't make too much sense to me for countless reasons. That was a very poor decision for Obama. I respect Norway's decision to pull out of the situation. Why can't we ever do that? Perhaps Gaddafi is nutty, cruel, and oppresive, but the United States can't be a police to the world. The NATO is for the defense of its members, and Libya is not a member right? So what are we doing?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm surprised more Democrats aren't upset about this too. To be fair, leadership in the Democratic party is upset, but not in front of the cameras. Democrats and Republicans are suing Obama to prove the Libyan War is constitutional. Obama is just as big a warmonger as Bush was, he just is smarter about it. Obama has been a fraud and a phony for a long time now, if he loses in 2012, I'll have a good laugh. Obama can kiss my ass.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think there's an appropriate level of anger about this. We have to distribute our anger fairly, so if we're going to be angry, especially if you're a Democrat, how about that Obama believes in Reaganomics and thinks tax cuts for the rich = prosperity for all.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I think there's an appropriate level of anger about this. We have to distribute our anger fairly, so if we're going to be angry, especially if you're a Democrat, how about that Obama believes in Reaganomics and thinks tax cuts for the rich = prosperity for all.

So you gonna sit there and act like the congressional republicans didn't push that while holding unemployment hostage just like their doing with everything? Let's not start making ? up in order to support our positions on this situation.

This is a NATO mission though, so technically, it doesn't directly involve the United States. It is also a United Nations sanctioned mission unlike Iraq. Even still, I feel that the United States should not engage Libya for the simple fact that we haven't engaged any other country with similar circumstances across the Middle East (IE Syria). This does appear to be a smarter and more winnable engagement being that we are actually supporting a legitimate opposing force of our target and killing Gaddafi would actually end this war.
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited June 2011
    Options
    im not sure what you mean by people aren't getting tough on him. the houses in congress just filed a law suit against him on libya, and voted to cut off funding for the operation. the people who supported him the most, are the hardest on him, unlike bush supporters who just blindly supported bush. it seems to me that people are appropriately hard own obama, i have a hard time understanding where you coming from.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Obama's unauthorized war on Libya costs $9,421,000 a day: Are you getting your money's worth?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/06/obama-libya-war-congress-authority-war-powers.html

The Obama administration is spending almost $9.5 million every single day to blow things up in Libya because the president has determined that is in the country's national interest, this country's national interest, not Libya's.

You may not have noticed the $392,542 flowing out of the national treasury every hour, day and night, since those first $1.5 million Tomahawks flashed from the launch tubes back on March 19.

But Libya's dictator Moammar Kadafi has. Not enough to quit, mind you, because he can hide while his troops do the dying and killing.

Kadafi's military might has been degraded sufficiently by allied missiles and bombs to perhaps create a long-lasting stalemate with rebel forces in the desert conflict that Obama initially promised House members would last a matter of days, not weeks.Kadafi greets Obama 2009

Thirteen weeks later Obama, who was elected running against the war in Iraq, finds himself also embroiled in an escalating constitutional conflict at home over another war that he started while touring South America with his family in March.

You may recall that nine days later the Real Good Talker did what he usually does when attacked; he gave a speech to address the outcry over the sudden conflict without meaningful congressional consultation.

"When our interests and values are at stake, we have a responsibility to act," the Democrat declared. The president made the case that Kadafi was a ruthless ruler, who vowed "no mercy" on his own protesting countrymen. Obama added:

We knew that if we waited one more day, Benghazi – a city nearly the size of Charlotte – could suffer a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world. It was not in our national interest to let that happen. I refused to let that happen.

The trouble is that numerous bad guys are killing their own people all the time around the world. Syria comes immediately to mind as a place where government security....
    ....forces didn't even bother vowing "no mercy." They've just killed an estimated 1,000 protestors in recent weeks. Obama has "warned" Syria many times and frozen bank assets.

How could the Nobel Peace Prize winner order a military intervention over a possible civilian massacre in Libya, which was not attacking the United States, but do nothing over an actual civilian massacre in Syria? And how exactly is avoiding a stain on the world conscience in the vital national interests of the United States?
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ImSoReal wrote: »
    yes, I know this, I just want people to admit that the hope and change that Obama talked about was all ? . All politicians give the same damn speeches just reworded, and nothing really changes

obama never said that we would never be involved in another conflict.

plus we kind of owe the europeans this favor since they participated in
    iraq and afghanistan. plus when u have arabs begging in the street for the U.S to help
    and we dont it kind of helps proves al queidas point
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »

Obama never said that, the republicans were not going to extend the tax cuts for poor ppl
    unless obama extended them for everybody and we got DADT repealed and the nuke treaty with russia.

the bush tax cuts are set to expire again in 2012
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    obama never said that we would never be involved in another conflict.

plus we kind of owe the europeans this favor since they participated in
    iraq and afghanistan. plus when u have arabs begging in the street for the U.S to help
    and we dont it kind of helps proves al queidas point

How good is this favor if it's not improving our standing in the Arab world? Pakistan still hates us and Al Qaeda is growing in membership everyday. How about we learn to mind our own damn business and start taking care of home? Bombing the ? out of ANOTHER Muslim nation is no way for us to build up our pathetic reputation in the Middle East.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As an American President, and being involved with NATO the US has to intervene in any conflict around the world. People are mad at what hes' doing, but at least troops aren't on the floor getting killed for nothing like what President Bush did in Iraq.

If you gonna get mad at Obama wasting money on wars you gotta speak all the facts before you start getting upset. If Bush was still in Office we would have already went to War with Iran and other Middle Eastern countries out there with actually soldiers and not just drone strikes.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    As an American President, and being involved with NATO the US has to intervene in any conflict around the world. People are mad at what hes' doing, but at least troops aren't on the floor getting killed for nothing like what President Bush did in Iraq.

If you gonna get mad at Obama wasting money on wars you gotta speak all the facts before you start getting upset. If Bush was still in Office we would have already went to War with Iran and other Middle Eastern countries out there with actually soldiers and not just drone strikes.

Obama didn't have to go into Libya........we're already tied down in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, and Iraq. Libya is all about taking control of Libya's oil resources, why aren't we going into Syria to defend their civilians? Oh yeah I forgot, not much oil there
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    So you gonna sit there and act like the congressional republicans didn't push that while holding unemployment hostage just like their doing with everything? Let's not start making ? up in order to support our positions on this situation.

Obama signed it. If he doesn't believe in it, you're accusing him of intentionally wrecking the economy. Very serious charges on your part, can you defend that?

Excuses, excuses.