Has knowing more

Options
Daniel Plainview
Daniel Plainview Members Posts: 895
edited June 2011 in The Social Lounge
made you happier? Or is ignorance really bliss?

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's too general of a question. It depends on the person and the knowledge. And knowledge can make you happy, sad, or both.

As for me, generally speaking, knowing has made me sad, angry, happy, etc at different times. But I equate knowledge with truth and I don't think that the truth is ever a bad thing even if that particular truth is an unpleasant one. I would not want to live my life believing in lies or living a lie, even if it was a lie that would make me happy. But that's just me. I would think that ignorance would certainly be bliss for many people, but that's just limiting yourself to a small island within a larger world in my opinion.

Nevertheless, the pursuit of knowledge can be quite cumbersome and disorientating
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ignorance is hell. Awareness can carry sorrow, but ignorance carries darkness.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    "Ignorance is bliss" is some propaganda
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ignorance is hell. Awareness can carry sorrow, but ignorance carries darkness.

Man that is the perfect explanation. Is that your quotable? Or did you pull a Puffy?
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yea its some ? i wish i didnt know...gives me a headache but i aint depressed...i guess it depends on what it is...i did always think autistic people and bums had the easiest life...they aint worried bout ?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Man that is the perfect explanation. Is that your quotable? Or did you pull a Puffy?
    I can't lay claim to it, the understanding was given to me.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I can't lay claim to it, the understanding was given to me.

no it wasnt. youre magnetizing/attracting it
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2011
    Options
    no it wasnt. youre magnetizing/attracting it

That works too :tu
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well, the more we know, the more we're "responsible" for it...or the more we have to acknowledge it when that knowledge is to be understood. I'm not worried about the sincerity of not knowing (though it's hard to know who is sincere), but those who know but have no respect for what they know.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    In a sense yes ignorance is bliss but i'd rather be informed, its what my spirit wants
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Pain makes you stronger