**NFL surprises 2011** Who'll surprise, disappoint?

Options
124»

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    Vick ruined the home playoff win streak, Judas probally set Vick up...probally a signed Favre jersey buried in the yard. The falcon has the nerve to lose to the eagles the next week...i was highly dissapointed

Yeah, ? was epic. ? gave the Falcons 0 chance in that ? . And Vick walkin around at the end like it was just a pre-season game that didn't mean ? was extra-ether. lol.

The Eagles game was closer than it seemed. That hit Dawkins put on Vick hurt us. He would've tied up the game in that drive.

But as for the Packers and my original post -- I ain't sayin none of that ? is guaranteed to happen (keep in mind, I also mentioned Julio Jones may have less-than-stellar stats) but let's not act like the Packers are going to be unstoppable. Every team has players banged up late in the season and there's nothing that guarantees the Packers won't still have injury issues. So you never know.

And that Super Bowl target on ya head is no joke.

Ask Drew Brees and Beast Mode. lol
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    More....

BETTER THAN YOU THINK

The NFC WEST

- I know, I know. 7-9 champion. ? was trash in '10. I know this. lol. But Neither team in this division is short on talent. Just young and/or misused talent. Bradford is looking like the next Manning. And with just lil help from his receivers and Stephen Jackson having another solid year -- they'll be aight. Niners are the most talented team in the division and now they *might* have a good coach to go with that. Seahawks clowned the Aint's in the playoffs last year and I'm sure that sent their confidence thru the roof and I already mentioned the Cards.

WORSE THAN YOU THINK

AFC EAST -

Patriots were not as good as their record. Jets are smellin' themselves a lil too much. And the Dolphins and Bills are... well... you know. They've been the media's favorite division lately, but that should end this year.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yea i dont think the pack will repeat, 11-5 is what im predicting just like 09, the offense will be better but linebackers besides Clay are a wildcard. This was the first year hawk did anything. Randall Cobb was a steal.

My Most Improved team is:the chargers, you cant have the number 1 offense and defense and stay down for long

Disapointing team: Jets...Sanch ASS *no ? * sucks. But i guess in New York he isnt asked to do much
  • shieky
    shieky Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Better

David Garrard
    The guy is already criminally underrated and now has a top 10 pick looking over his shoulder waiting for him to fail. He has an improving trio of skill position players (Mike Thomas, Marcedes Lewis, MJD) and gets some help by playing teams with some pretty soft pass defenses.

Oakland Raiders
    They only go here because I have predicted they would have a winning record the past 4 seasons.... eventually they gotta stop making a liar out of me.

Worse

Dallas Cowboys
    Partly here because I am an eagles fan, but mostly because I keep hearing people talk about how Romo being back will cure all ills. That Dallas hype machine never stops running, but truly thats all they have left as of right now. They are 19 milli over the proposed new cap, their best player on their worst unit is scheduled to be a free agent ( Doug Free ) and their best player on their second worst unit is a school girl and vastly overrated ( Mike Jenkins ). They have no clue how to use the 3 running backs they have, now they added murray to the fuckery.However, they do have what could be the best receiving corps in the league and they still have one of the softest schedules in the history of the NFL, so if they can't muster up 9 wins, they need to sell the team and never be spoken of again. But playoffs? Super bowl? Nahhh.

Kevin Kolb
    I don't think I need to explain this one, but i'll try. He has been hyped up since Easter of last year. Now that he is most likely headed to a NFCW team to start, that team will be expected to win the divison and POSSIBLY make noise in the playoffs. Anytime there is this much hype for a slightly proven commodity, you have to throw it in the disappointment column. There is just no way he can meet all these lofty expectations, especially now that all OTA's will have been missed, he will be surrounded by an all new supporting cast and asked to lead a group of men he has probably never met. The main point here ( without getting into all his failures on the field ) is that there is too much hype for him to not fail.

Oh... and are yall still doing fantasy leagues/pickem/survival on yahoo? Haven't been on these boards since 06 and the board I left this one for just died lol.
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    Yea i dont think the pack will repeat, 11-5 is what im predicting just like 09, the offense will be better but linebackers besides Clay are a wildcard. This was the first year hawk did anything. Randall Cobb was a steal.

My Most Improved team is:the chargers, you cant have the number 1 offense and defense and stay down for long

Disapointing team: Jets...Sanch ASS *no ? * sucks. But i guess in New York he isnt asked to do much

C/S. I got the Pack winning 10 games. I don't see the Vikings having another double-digit loss season. Too much talent.

And like I said, the AFC East and the Jets are overrated.

Chargers only blemish last year was their turnover ratio. They had the #1 offense and defense like you said, but were ranked in the 20s when it came to arguably the most important stat in the NFL -- turnover ratio.

Teams with good T/R ALWAYS have good seasons. Teams with bad T/R always have disappointing seasons. Fact.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Well, every team that Wade phillips have been to the 1st year they made the playoffs.
    Also. The last couple of Superbowl teams all had a prior head-coach as the defensive coordinator.

Greenbay had Dom Capers (who was the texans former head coach)
    The Saints had the Titans former head coach as the d-coordinator.

With that said, Dont be surprised if you see Chad Johnson opposite side of Andre. Or the jets DB Cromartie as well.

If they are truly going to do anything, this would be the year.

not trying to be funny but aint nobody coming to houston lol
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    C/S. I got the Pack winning 10 games. I don't see the Vikings having another double-digit loss season. Too much talent.

And like I said, the AFC East and the Jets are overrated.

Chargers only blemish last year was their turnover ratio. They had the #1 offense and defense like you said, but were ranked in the 20s when it came to arguably the most important stat in the NFL -- turnover ratio.

Teams with good T/R ALWAYS have good seasons. Teams with bad T/R always have disappointing seasons. Fact.

Just to emphasize the bolded...

Top 5 teams in T/R

1. Patriots
    2. Steelers
    3. Falcons
    4. Packers
    5. Buccs

Bottom 5 T/R

28. Broncos
    29. Vikings
    30. Dolphins
    31. Jaguars
    32. Bills

(Chargers were 24th between the Saints and the Panthers)

Not a coincidence.

Gotta take care of the Rock. Or yo ass better force some fumbles and get some INT's. lol.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't think the Bucs will disappoint. The Bucs r still re-building. Gonna have 2 new startin DE's, possibly 2 new starting DB's (Jackson and Talib are gone), possibly a new startin MLB.
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't think the Bucs will disappoint. The Bucs r still re-building. Gonna have 2 new startin DE's, possibly 2 new starting DB's (Jackson and Talib are gone), possibly a new startin MLB.

I don't really see'em having double-digits wins or losses. 8-8 or 9-7, IMO. Raheem is a solid coach (even tho he's like 17). He'll have them ready for every game. Just won't be as successful as last year.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't really see'em having double-digits wins or losses. 8-8 or 9-7, IMO. Raheem is a solid coach (even tho he's like 17). He'll have them ready for every game. Just won't be as successful as last year.

Ya, but that's just 1-2 losses more than last year. Would a 11-12 win season make the Falcons a disappointment?
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ya, but that's just 1-2 losses more than last year. Would a 11-12 win season make the Falcons a disappointment?

That's actually what I expected to the Falcons to win last year AND this year. But trust me, this ain't the NBA or MLB, there's a BIIIIIIIG difference between 10-6 and 8-8. And in a black coach's case -- it's the difference between employment and unemployment -- ask Dungy.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's actually what I expected to the Falcons to win last year AND this year. But trust me, this ain't the NBA or MLB, there's a BIIIIIIIG difference between 10-6 and 8-8. And in a black coach's case -- it's the difference between employment and unemployment -- ask Dungy.

Raheem's safe. He's doin a great job puttin the team together, and motivating them to play well.
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Raheem's safe. He's doin a great job puttin the team together, and motivating them to play well.

Yeah, for this year -- maybe. They lose more than 9 games and a *hot* coaching candidate becomes availabe (that just happens to have less melanin) and his ass is toast. Trust.

But no matter who your coach is, every game counts. And in a tough division like the NFCs, you need every W you can get. Take the Bucs for example. ONE MORE win and y'all would've been playoff bound.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, for this year -- maybe. They lose more than 9 games and a *hot* coaching candidate becomes availabe (that just happens to have less melanin) and his ass is toast. Trust.

But no matter who your coach is, every game counts. And in a tough division like the NFCs, you need every W you can get. Take the Bucs for example. ONE MORE win and y'all would've been playoff bound.

Oh, no doubt every win is vital, especially considerin our division. I'm just sayin I wouldn't consider 8-8, or 7-9 a disappointment since they're still puttin the pieces in place/cleanin up Gruden's mess.

? GRUDEN!
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oh, no doubt every win is vital, especially considerin our division. I'm just sayin I wouldn't consider 8-8, or 7-9 a disappointment since they're still puttin the pieces in place/cleanin up Gruden's mess.

? GRUDEN!

Oh rly now?

lol. Most of the Buc fans I know were worshipping "Chucky" about 4-5 years ago. And got heated whenever anybody mentioned he won with "Dungy's team". Now he ain't ? .

He's the best color-commentary dude in football since John Madden tho.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

? gruden!

coooooooo-sign
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oh rly now?

lol. Most of the Buc fans I know were worshipping "Chucky" about 4-5 years ago. And got heated whenever anybody mentioned he won with "Dungy's team". Now he ain't ? .

He's the best color-commentary dude in football since John Madden tho.

I been hatin him. He let personal issues with players get in the way of his coachin a lot, he drafted that DAMN WR out of Appalachian State in the 2nd round. Never tried to get us a young franchise QB to build up and lead the team (despite him bein an alleged QB genius). Monte Kiffin was the one keepin the team goin.

I hate him so much I don't even like hearin him commentating. And seein those QB camps with Gruden ? me off too, haha. Can't stand that dude
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Gruden was always overrated as a coach to me. Couldn't tell Raiders or Bucs fans that for years doe. And he just rode that LOOOOOOONG 49ers/Packers West Coast offense coaching tree of success to his coaching gigs.

Bill Walsh begat Mike Holmgren who begat Jon Gruden, etc, etc. (The tree is MUCH longer than that, but you get the picture.)
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MOAR....

BETTER THAN YOU THINK

- Donovan McNabb - Can't see him having another year like last year. No matter where he goes. And like we learned from his replacement in Philly last year (VICK) the way things look in the offseason/preseason won't always translate come mid season.

- Kansas City Chiefs - Last year was not a fad. KC is strong where it matters -- Running game, D and O line, front 7 on defense, great homefield crowd, and front office. That combo will make them contenders in every game they play. May not win as many games or the AFCw, but they will once again be a playoff contender.

WORSE THAN YOU THINK

- New Orleans Saints - Yeeeeaaaah. I said it. Ingram was a good pick-up, but let's not act like that wasn't a major need anyway. They haven't had a true running back since Deuce was in his prime, so at best they may just be as good as they were then. Last year proved that Brees and the Saints offense ain't foolin' or scaring anybody anymore. They'll still be a playoff contender, and Brees will still put up pro-bowl numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to win double-digit games.

- A.J. Green -

Like I said, I don't expect ANY rookie to have a stellar, pro-bowl caliber season next year and since I put Julio in this category and I feel Julio is better than him overall -- it's only right I put him here too. AJ could flourish in a really good passing system like New England or San Diego, New Orleans, etc. But in Cincy and most likely catching passes from a rookie QB or a disgruntled one -- He ain't doin' much.