Grieves w/ Budo - Together/Apart - Rhymesayers - 21st June 2011!

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Essence
RSE0138CD.jpg

A long while back, I stumbled across 88 Keys and Counting, which turns out to be a great release from an underrated/under-the-radar-almost undiscovered artist. But now, Grieves is signed to Rhymesayers and about to drop his debut album with them. I can honestly see it being a great release and I'm hyped for it. Here's a synopsis from UGHH about the album:
UGHH wrote:
Together/Apart is the highly anticipated Rhymesayers debut album from Grieves. Teaming up with longtime friend and producer Budo, Together/Apart is an album infused with soulful horns, keys, and guitar. Lyrically, the album encompasses both the difficulties and joys of maintaining professional and personal relationships when on the road and back at home.

Together/Apart, showcases the amazing growth of this dynamic artist on the verge. The initial pressing of Together/Apart will feature a bonus DVD entitled Present/Tense, a biography-style documentary giving listeners an inside look at what inspired Together/Apart, as well as live and behind the scenes footage.

Some of my old favourites from 88 Keys and Counting:

With production like this and time influenced under Rhymesayers, this should be a great album that will hopefully create some buzz!

Comments

• skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Saw him live on the Family tour and he killed it. Should be a great album.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'll be coppin this..Grieves is dope and Rhymesayers always put out quality music..
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gonna be looking out for this...
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'll check this out!
  • RuffDraft
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Definitely, this album needs to be on more people's radar, it should be a quality release...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Grieves is cool, ive only heard 88 Keys and Irreversible. 88 Keys was dope and Irreversible was kinda a weaker album, had dope tracks but a few lame ones that i felt shouldnt be on the album. i will def check this out Budo is awesome with the beats.

Grieves is one goofy looking guy tho haha. i see his youtube videos and cant help but laugh sometimes.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Grieves is cool, ive only heard 88 Keys and Irreversible. 88 Keys was dope and Irreversible was kinda a weaker album, had dope tracks but a few lame ones that i felt shouldnt be on the album. i will def check this out Budo is awesome with the beats.

Grieves is one goofy looking guy tho haha. i see his youtube videos and cant help but laugh sometimes.

hahaha I feel the same way with Fashawn but it's neither here nor there... appreciate them both greatly as musicians etc.

I haven't heard irreversible, Atmosphere just put the album up on their status though via Facebook to get him some fans and attention, hopefully get him some more fans... looking forward to the album!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options

Liking the sound of this one... Grieves seems to be putting in a lot of groundwork for this release via social networks, looking forward to it!
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Album leaked. Its pretty decent. i cant say its my favorite Grieves album but its worth the listen for any Rhymesayers/Grieves fan. 7/10 tbh. i know the dude sings but he doesnt have to do it on every song. alot of the songs sound the same too, subjects dealing with his past addictions and what not.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Great album. Grieves is a rapper that caught my eye a few months ago and I'm glad I followed up on that intrigue. Very reminiscent of his Rhymesayers brethren Brother Ali and Slug. Very heartfelt and poetic rhymes. The producer here provides mostly softer and subtle backdrops for Grieves to rip, sometimes the beats are not dynamic enough tho, and some beats are too similar, but they are mostly very complimentary to Grieves lyrics and the mood of his songs. I'm gonna be listening to this one for a while. 4/5 right now, and thats usually a good mark from me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Great album. Grieves is a rapper that caught my eye a few months ago and I'm glad I followed up on that intrigue. Very reminiscent of his Rhymesayers brethren Brother Ali and Slug. Very heartfelt and poetic rhymes. The producer here provides mostly softer and subtle backdrops for Grieves to rip, sometimes the beats are not dynamic enough tho, and some beats are too similar, but they are mostly very complimentary to Grieves lyrics and the mood of his songs. I'm gonna be listening to this one for a while. 4/5 right now, and thats usually a good mark from me.

Coppin' this album next month, so I don't want to listen to it yet. But his 88 Keys and Counting was a really great album and if you've not heard that, you should check it out :tu
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Only heard this album and his previous EP The COnfessions of Mr Modest. I enjoy the new album more than that EP tho, and I quite enjoyed that EP. The songs on this album just have better production and seem more "complete" than the songs on Mr Modest.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Only heard this album and his previous EP The COnfessions of Mr Modest. I enjoy the new album more than that EP tho, and I quite enjoyed that EP. The songs on this album just have better production and seem more "complete" than the songs on Mr Modest.

I haven't heard that EP... I'll check it out :tu

Seriously though, 88 Keys and Counting got great reviews on the few blogs that caught onto it, well worth checking out...

Production on this is incredible:
    My favourite track:
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah 88 Keys is my favorite release. If thats your fave ruff draft i dont think this album will top it but it is still a very good listen
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah 88 Keys is my favorite release. If thats your fave ruff draft i dont think this album will top it but it is still a very good listen

I kinda figured that it'd be hard to live up to... that said, I'm still a fan of him as an artist and will look to support him along with others over at UGHH.

How's the production in comparison? Is it on the same level or is it some way off?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Id say its same level. its still pretty dope. alot of Dark stuff. Production imo matches perfectly with the content of every song.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Id say its same level. its still pretty dope. alot of Dark stuff. Production imo matches perfectly with the content of every song.

Sounds good, looking forward to coppin' it, props on the feedback :tu

But it's all about Kendrick Lamar tomorrow... can't wait to hear that now...
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited July 2011
    Options
    given this a solid 2X playthrough and it is a solid album from front to back, Honestly i was skeptical, never really hearing any previous releases but rhymesayers delivers...
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    given this a solid 2X playthrough and it is a solid album from front to back, Honestly i was skeptical, never really hearing any previous releases but rhymesayers delivers...

Good news that you was feeling it, probably cop this later as pay day is coming up... going to pick up quite a few probably, props.