**CALL IT! NFL 2011 Draft BuStS/SURPRISES!** Who's Overrated/Underrated?

Options
greenwood1921
greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
...I know draft busts/successes can't really be called after one year (word to Jerry Rice and Mario Williams, etc.) But it's easy to dance on a player's grave years later, so let's see who y'all think will fail or succeed before the 2011 class even signs their contracts.

Here's the 1st round from the 2011 draft...

1 Carolina Panthers Cam Newton QB
2 Denver Broncos Von Miller LB
3 Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus DT
4 Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green WR
5 Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson CB
6 Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones WR
7 San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith DE
8 Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB
9 Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith OT
10 Jacksonville Jaguar Blaine Gabbert QB
11 Houston Texans J.J. Watt DE
12 Minnesota Vikings Christian Ponder QB
13 Detroit Lions Nick Fairley DT
14 St. Louis Rams Robert Quinn DE
15 Miami Dolphins Mike Pouncey OL
16 Washington Redskins Ryan Kerrigan DE
17 New England Patriots Nate Solder OL
18 San Diego Chargers Corey Liuget DT
19 New York Giants Prince Amukamara CB
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Adrian Clayborn DL
21 Cleveland Browns Phil Taylor DL
22 Indianapolis Colts Anthony Castonzo OL
23 Philadelphia Eagles Danny Watkins OL
24 New Orleans Saints Cameron Jordan DE
25 Seattle Seahawks James Carpenter OL
26 Kansas City Chiefs Jonathan Baldwin WR
27 Baltimore Ravens Jimmy Smith CB
28 New Orleans Saints Mark Ingram RB
29 Chicago Bears Gabe Carimi OL
30 New York Jets Muhammad Wilkerson DT
31 Pittsburgh Steelers Cam Heyward DT
32 Green Bay Packers Derek Sherrod OL

My calls:

BUSTS:

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and Nick Fairley.

Fairley could either be the next Warren Sapp or the DT version of Jamarcus Russell.

the-guy-who-terrorized-my-LSU-Tigers.-Auburns-Nick-Fairley.jpeg
Since he's friends with Russell, I'll say he's the defensive Jemarcus. lol.

Cammy Cam won't have a terrible career. But something like the last black Auburn QB (Jason Campbell) or Vince Young. Which will be considered a bust.

Blaine Gabbert is the biggest hoodwink, bamboozle, run-a-muck I've seen since the Eagles drafted Mike Mamula (sorry for the flashback, Iggle fans, lol).

I watched Gabbert all of his career at Mizzou and even though he did well against my Sooners -- so did his predecessor Chase Daniels who is more talented and had better career stats at Mizzou than Gabbert did..

He's just another Mel Kiiper baby.

SURPRISES....

Jacquizz "Quizz" Rodgers (Falcons, 5th round) - The next Darren Sproles/MJD/Michael Turner type back in the league. Deceptive speed (football speed, not track speed) and the dude is just a baby beast. Got 185 yards against USC and is one of the top 5 high school running backs in Texas history. Which is saying alot for a state that makes running backs like Nebraska makes corn (I'm sure you've heard of Ladanian Tomlinson, Earl Campbell, Adrian Peterson, etc, etc.) The steal of the draft by far.

Demarco Murray Cowboys -- I actually didn't like him @ Oklahoma, and y'all know how I feel about the Cowgirls, but he'll be in the perfect position in Dallas (3rd down back, flanker, KR, PR) and he'll eat that ? up. Will never be a down-for-down back in the NFL, but he will be just as effective if not moreso than Reggie Bush has been in the NFL.

Feel free to add....

Comments

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    How Jake Locker got drafted at the eighth spot will forever boggle my mind.
    I think him and Fairley will be the biggest busts.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    How Jake Locker got drafted at the eighth spot will forever boggle my mind.
    I think him and Fairley will be the biggest busts.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to put him in my....

SURPRISES category. Yep I said it. I mentioned on here like a year ago that he would be a good NFL QB and ? thought I was sick. Don't know how he'll do as a rookie, but he has too many tools for success to fail. Just watch. Tennessee might surprise this year.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bust: Mike Pouncey: his last year @ UF was the WOAT, dude couldnt snap the ball for ?

Ryan Kerrigan: Dude wasnt impressive enough for where he was picked at

Cameron Jordan: Sorry saints fans. more of this later

Suprises:

Randall Cobb: Greenbay system was an awesome place for Cobb to land, he will be better than Greg Jennings, they have similar builds.

Justin Houston : Kansas City, combine hurt him but dude can play

thats all i can think of for now
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i dont think Fairley Will be a bust due to who else he has on the Line with him ...... it's not like he's walking into a situation on his own , he has SUH and also DE Kyle Vanden Bosch , DE Cliff Averil ( 8.5 sacks last season) ,

it has the potential be one of the better Defensive Lines in the NFC

so i def. dont see Fairley being a bust, if anything he walked right into the perfect situation in my opinion.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Julio Jones - Won't ever live up to what Atlanta traded to get him. but will be fairly successful.
    Blaine Gabbert - Going off of recent history, Jacksonville's 1st round pick always flops. *see Derrick Harvey, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, ect.*
    Christian Ponder - Taken way too high. Minnesota must see something in him that we didn't see.

Only person I see on D maybe not being successful is Phil Taylor.
    Phil Taylor - undersized DT in college at Baylor, very energetic, but won't overpower anyone.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2011
    Options
    But my List : Danny Watkins , James Carpenter , Jake Locker , Robert Quinn
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Christian Ponder - Taken way too high. Minnesota must see something in him that we didn't see.

Think they were judging him based off Pre-injury as a QB , his Junior year he was Killing it before getting blown up by a Clemson DB ...and ever since he struggled to get into a groove

he's pretty good , i agree i still wouldnt have drafted him that high but dude can play when healthy, he hasn't been healthy since that hit and he had elbow issues also, so i think they were judging him off when he was healthy on what he could be...

i could understand a 2nd round pick , but i seen him a lot his junior year before the injuries started getting him and dude can play, people giving him too much flack in my opinion.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think Shane Vereen will have a good start to his career being in NE, versatile back that can thrive in that system- given he gets enough touches.

Randall Cobb is another who could have some immediate impact this year and could be a playmaker for the next few.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i dont think Fairley Will be a bust due to who else he has on the Line with him ...... it's not like he's walking into a situation on his own , he has SUH and also DE Kyle Vanden Bosch , DE Cliff Averil ( 8.5 sacks last season) ,

it has the potential be one of the better Defensive Lines in the NFC

so i def. dont see Fairley being a bust, if anything he walked right into the perfect situation in my opinion.

It has happened before, bruh. I remember people thought the same thing about Marcus Spears and Demarcus Ware. But only Ware panned out.

Spears has had 8 sacks in 7 yrs despite playing on the same line with arguably the best DE in the league.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah I like Ponder better than all the others, aside from Cam. Most people said he was a reach at that pick because of his projections, but if that's the player you want and don't think he will hang around until later in the draft, then you have to take the risk
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Marvin Austin will be out of the NFL within 5 years
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Julio Jones - Won't ever live up to what Atlanta traded to get him. but will be fairly successful.
    Blaine Gabbert - Going off of recent history, Jacksonville's 1st round pick always flops. *see Derrick Harvey, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, ect.*

Only person I see on D maybe not being successful is Phil Taylor.
    Phil Taylor - undersized DT in college at Baylor, very energetic, but won't overpower anyone.

What do you think ATL expects from Julio? It ain't like nobody is expecting him to have the statistics of 5 WR's combined. lol.

I would be surprised if Julio is higher than 2nd on the team stat-wise for the next 3-4 years. He was brought in to spread out the offense, not break statistical records. That's what people don't understand. Julio's impact will be seen more in *other* player's stats than his own. I see him getting anywhere between 50-70 catches this year for about 600-800 yards -- really for the next 2-3 years until Roddy slows down.

Our offense is built to be more like the Cowboys in the early 90s than the Vikings when they drafted Moss.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The receiver in my sig will be the best of this draft class.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What do you think ATL expects from Julio? It ain't like nobody is expecting him to have the statistics of 5 WR's combined. lol.

I would be surprised if Julio is higher than 2nd on the team stat-wise for the next 3-4 years. He was brought in to spread out the offense, not break statistical records. That's what people don't understand. Julio's impact will be seen more in *other* player's stats than his own. I see him getting anywhere between 50-70 catches this year for about 600-800 yards -- really for the next 2-3 years until Roddy slows down.

Our offense is built to be more like the Cowboys in the early 90s than the Vikings when they drafted Moss.

Gave up too much for Jones.
    Great player but they could have really improved their already good squad even more with that 2nd and 4th round pick.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »

And it will happen while on a different team
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hankerson? Nah Bruh...
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Gave up too much for Jones.
    Great player but they could have really improved their already good squad even more with that 2nd and 4th round pick.

When somebody can name the 4 future hall-of-famers or pro-bowlers that we gave up for Julio Jones -- then I'll say we gave up too much for him.
  • Ibex
    edited July 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    Hankerson? Nah Bruh...

Hankerson is the best route runner, and blocking WR in the draft, had the most productive college career and will most likely get more reps and opportunities to be successful due to his team having no true #1. I like A.J Green but him being drafted by the Bengals and being under the tutelage of Ocho Cinco is a recipe for disaster. Julio Jones I see as a great athlete but was drafted to early for being a combine freak, I'm not expecting much from him he is Darius Heyward-Bey 2.0.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hankerson is the best route runner, and blocking WR in the draft, had the most productive college career and will most likely get more reps and opportunities to be successful due to his team having no true #1. I like A.J Green but him being drafted by the Bengals and being under the tutelage of Ocho Cinco is a recipe for disaster. Julio Jones I see as a great athlete but was drafted to early for being a combine freak, I'm not expecting much from him he is Darius Heyward-Bey 2.0.

Wrong and wrong on both of the bolded.

AJ Green was the best route runner, and Julio Jones was by far the best blocking receiver. He spent more time blocking at Alabama than catching.

Don't listen to me though. I'll let Redskins.com tell it....

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Jones-Blocking-Makes-Him-a-Redskins-Fit/66872169-4502-4caf-aa88-8852700de9cb
  • oldhead77
    oldhead77 Members Posts: 862 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    Bust: Mike Pouncey: his last year @ UF was the WOAT, dude couldnt snap the ball for ?
    Ryan Kerrigan: Dude wasnt impressive enough for where he was picked at

Cameron Jordan: Sorry saints fans. more of this later

Suprises:

Randall Cobb: Greenbay system was an awesome place for Cobb to land, he will be better than Greg Jennings, they have similar builds.

Justin Houston : Kansas City, combine hurt him but dude can play

thats all i can think of for now

@ bolded come on fam why u have to add to my anxiety???

I was ? when we took him @ 15 and I even considered turning in my Dolphins Fan membership but after while I guess the pick grew on me since Center (O-Line anchor) is the biggest skill-position we needed to address.

Dammit now I'm gonna be ? again.
  • Ibex
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wrong and wrong on both of the bolded.

AJ Green was the best route runner, and Julio Jones was by far the best blocking receiver. He spent more time blocking at Alabama than catching.

Don't listen to me though. I'll let Redskins.com tell it....

[URL="http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Jones-Blocking-Makes-Him-a-Redskins-Fit/66872169-4502-4caf-aa88-
    8852700de9cb"]http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Jones-Blocking-Makes-Him-a-Redskins-Fit/66872169-4502-4caf-aa88-
    8852700de9cb[/URL]

Feelings were obviously caught due to the Heyward Bey reference, but I'm glad you signed up at Redskins.com... appreciate the support there's some good stuff on there.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Feelings were obviously caught due to the Heyward Bey reference, but I'm glad you signed up at Redskins.com... appreciate the support there's some good stuff on there.

Yeah, I know it hurts. Own team's website shutting that ? you talkin down. lol.

Oh, and I didn't have to sign up -- it's called Google. You should try it out. "It's some good stuff on there."
  • Ibex
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I know it hurts. Own team's website shutting that ? you talkin down. lol.

Oh, and I didn't have to sign up -- it's called Google. You should try it out. "It's some good stuff on there."

*Never signed up for any other NFL team website because I'm not a closet fan post*
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    *Never signed up for any other NFL team website because I'm not a closet fan post*

Yeah, that cut you deep didn't it. lol. Smashed you and your sig with one post. You're right it's some good stuff on there. haha.

*Discussions on that page talkin' bout gettin' Jones and Green and they end up with Hankerson. Bwahahaha!
  • Ibex
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah, that cut you deep didn't it. lol. Smashed you and your sig with one post. You're right it's some good stuff on there. haha.

*Discussions on that page talkin' bout gettin' Jones and Green and they end up with Hankerson. Bwahahaha!

What's your screenname on Redskins.com so I can add you as my friend.