obeezy gonna win this debt ceiling fight

Options

Comments

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's a tough situation, Dems joint is going to go to bat and the repubs already said they're rejecting it out of spite... Obama don't want that ? to become the preverbial hot button issue next year
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    naw if obama can pass the reid plan its a win because 1 trillion dollars
    over 10 yrs is not alot of money in the government especially if its discretionary.

the other trillion is from savings from winding down the iraq and afganistan

it doesnt touch medicare or medicaid so its a win for democrats.
  • Focal Point
    edited July 2011
    Options
    naw if obama can pass the reid plan its a win because 1 trillion dollars
    over 10 yrs is not alot of money in the government especially if its discretionary.

the other trillion is from savings from winding down the iraq and afganistan

it doesnt touch medicare or medicaid so its a win for democrats.

but will it pass, there's a lot of jokers who will cut the nose off America's face to be spiteful
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I wonder if he "won" with this latest deal.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Don't know the details but it looks like obey lost gotta see the details but there is no revenue increase as far as I can see
  • lordhonka2
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think he lost damn no revenue and a lot of cuts. He looking soft right now no ?
  • lordhonka2
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man I just looked at the deal Obama ok'd and this ? caved he. Tea party members playing takeover right looking real gansta
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nope, he lost with this deal. 0 revenue.

i heard a lot of the cuts are from military spending so I guess thats a minor win.

but you cant just raise taxes or just cut spending to fix deficits. it has to be both.

but i have a feeling it may not pass the house either way, obama raises debt ceiling himself, can is kicked down the road yet again
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    once again. he caves. this is a win-win situation for the TP. if it passes the house then the TP got what they wanted all along. spending cuts and no rev. if it doesnt pass the house, obama will look weaker than he already has because, the plan that not only the senate maj. leader SOTH, and the prez approved will be shot down. Either way pres. obama lost this fight just for the simple fact of ignoring this for 8 months
  • lordhonka2
    edited August 2011
    Options
    he didnt ignore it he had no idea the tea party would hold the economy hostage in order to protect wealthy people and cut social security and medicare wich help everyong
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    he didnt ignore it he had no idea the tea party would hold the economy hostage in order to protect wealthy people and cut social security and medicare wich help everyong

u serious ?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    once again. he caves. this is a win-win situation for the TP. if it passes the house then the TP got what they wanted all along. spending cuts and no rev. if it doesnt pass the house, obama will look weaker than he already has because, the plan that not only the senate maj. leader SOTH, and the prez approved will be shot down. Either way pres. obama lost this fight just for the simple fact of ignoring this for 8 months

the OG Paul Krugman said it all:

"And then there are the reported terms of the deal, which amount to an abject surrender on the part of the president. First, there will be big spending cuts, with no increase in revenue. Then a panel will make recommendations for further deficit reduction — and if these recommendations aren’t accepted, there will be more spending cuts.

Republicans will supposedly have an incentive to make concessions the next time around, because defense spending will be among the areas cut. But the G.O.P. has just demonstrated its willingness to risk financial collapse unless it gets everything its most extreme members want. Why expect it to be more reasonable in the next round?"
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yeah.. The L's will slowly be passed around. With all the major cuts in discretionary spending, this will mean more lay-offs in the public sector, higher unemployment and more L's for Obama.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Along with more & more jobs being outsourced e.g., GE & many others.

FYI

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/ge-ceo-jeffrey-immelt-the-head-of-obamas-jobs-council-is-moving-jobs-and-economic-infrastructure-to-china-at-a-blistering-pace

this snippet from the link above
    If the very people that have been entrusted with solving the unemployment crisis are shipping jobs out of the country, what hope is there that things are going to turn around any time soon?

there isn't....its that simple

help me understand though, how cutting education and health programs is the same as cutting defense/not raising taxes
  • politicalthug202
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah but the bush tax cuts expire in 2013 after the election
    either way even if obama looses in 2013 he is still the president in december.

either way obama will have nothing to loose.

plus medicare is not on the chopping block in the initial cuts

and 1 trillion over 10 yrs is not real money. we still gonna spend 10 trillion dollars
    over the next few yrs
  • dawriter
    dawriter Members Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This wasn't about Obama "winning" anything. This was about getting the debt ceiling raised. Period. I don't understand why people don't get that. This was turned into being about Obama when it should have been nothing but a procedural vote. Never before has deficit reduction been apart of raising the debt ceiling. It's no coincidence that suddenly Republicans are hell bent on decreasing spending. The programs that Obama has passed need funding, programs that they never wanted passed. So, by "reducing the deficit" they get to cut funding to the programs that they never wanted signed into law int he first place. This has been the Republican goal from the beginning...but that's not Obama's fault...that's OUR fault for not showing up to the polls during the mid-term elections.

Everyone that voted in 2008 should have made sure their ? voted in 2010. It's not enough to just have a President that you like, you have to have a President that can work with Congress. The powers of government are separate for a reason. If Obama could do it all himself, none of this would have mattered but he doesn't have that type of power and you can't negotiate with people that refuse to be rational about anything. This was never about the debt ceiling or about negotiating, this was about making President Obama look bad and destroying his Presidency.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah but the bush tax cuts expire in 2013 after the election
    either way even if obama looses in 2013 he is still the president in december.

either way obama will have nothing to loose.

plus medicare is not on the chopping block in the initial cuts

and 1 trillion over 10 yrs is not real money. we still gonna spend 10 trillion dollars
    over the next few yrs

medicare ain't on the chopping blocks now...but in the 2nd committee cuts, it will be if they don't meet a compromise

and you're right, cutting 1 trillion now and 1.3 trillion later ain't doing jack ? ...honestly this "concession" couldve been done months ago
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    dawriter wrote: »
    that's OUR fault for not showing up to the polls during the mid-term elections.

I'm sry b, but that ? was not my fault. I live in NY. We do democratic things out here. I don't sympathize with the American ppl.

If you're in a swing state its YOUR fault for not getting out and voting. (not you but the 3rd person you)

We can't motivate swing state ? to do ? they don't want to. Fair weather citizens ain't my type of ppl.
  • politicalthug202
    edited August 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    medicare ain't on the chopping blocks now...but in the 2nd committee cuts, it will be if they don't meet a compromise

and you're right, cutting 1 trillion now and 1.3 trillion later ain't doing jack ? ...honestly this "concession" couldve been done months ago

medicare has to be cut either way and the democrats already cut 500 billion
    dollars out of medicare to pay for obama healthcare and give health care to younger
    ppl. why are they so sensitive clinton cut medicare and nobody said anything
    they better get that ? under control,before the republicans get control of that ? and privatized it.

and we already got higher taxes in obama care because there is a medicare tax
    on divendends for people over 250,000 obama should just try and get through the next election
    and let all the bush tax cuts expire in 2013 when he want have to worry about re election.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So basically this isnt going to change anything but pentagon cuts??

Yea that ? wont last long..
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    obama stay winning
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    medicare has to be cut either way and the democrats already cut 500 billion
    dollars out of medicare to pay for obama healthcare and give health care to younger
    ppl. why are they so sensitive clinton cut medicare and nobody said anything
    they better get that ? under control,before the republicans get control of that ? and privatized it.

and we already got higher taxes in obama care because there is a medicare tax
    on divendends for people over 250,000 obama should just try and get through the next election
    and let all the bush tax cuts expire in 2013 when he want have to worry about re election.

republicans want no taxes period so they won't even let us live on that 250k or more ? so they ain't letting him live with that

and you and I both know, something is going to come up that will extend bush tax cuts....I refuse to sit here and say, "the republicans won't think of anything in 2 yrs to keep it going"

I'm for cutting medicare waste/fraud, but I don't think that's equal to defense spending/subsidies...not to mention cutting medicare doesn't solve why the cost keep going up
  • Focal Point
    edited August 2011
    Options
    he ? up unless he knows something we don't, them white boys just waiting for an opportunity to say "we gotta clean up the ? 's mess" No revenue increase smh, I feel as though if he had of made that clear to the "TPs" that the tax raise is on a group you don't belong in it might have gained a lot more support
  • politicalthug202
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So basically this isnt going to change anything but pentagon cuts??

Yea that ? wont last long..

naw the new dude who running the pentagon leon pennata
    is serious about cutting that ? .
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    naw the new dude who running the pentagon leon pennata
    is serious about cutting that ? .

They want to cut waste which is fine i dont think they even realize that when they start cutting jobs and then end up paying more for a contractor we will be in the same boat again..