Why are RPGs not lettin you play as a dark-skinned black man all of the sudden

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in IllGaming
Aiight, I first noticed this in Dragon Age 2 where the darkest you could make your character was "Hulk Hogan". Now I'm finally playin New Vegas for the first time and the darkest you can make a ? is Obama shade. WTF. I'm one of those race-conscious cats that strives to focus on the big picture and not petty stuff but this ? really bothers me for some reason lol.

Comments

• Carlos Loozer
    Carlos Loozer Members Posts: 848
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Play mlb 2k11... but i guess it is accurate since blacks arent in baseball really anymore
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    game designers are racists...words to video games
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Play mlb 2k11... but i guess it is accurate since blacks arent in baseball really anymore

The Show 11>>>>>MLB2k11

Can make your player black as Wesley Snipes
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol @ game designers thinking dark skin is a john boehner tan.

anyways, i think in starhawk, the main character is pure black.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sazh.jpg
    500x_091218ff13_1_r_01.jpg
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2011
    Options
    rofl @ him holding a chicken
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    slept on post
    lol
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited July 2011
    Options

sazh--article_image.jpg
    SazhCosplay--article_image.jpg
    lol.............
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2011
    Options
    slept on post
    lol

of all the baby bird breeds they could have given him, they gave him a chicken. think about that for a second.

(yes i know its supposed to be a chocobo but still)
  • JUXcaptainHOOK
    JUXcaptainHOOK Members Posts: 406
    edited July 2011
    Options
    damn ppl still play RPG's ? .... them ? fell off IMO... prolly cuz i got older and they're so time consuming but the last GREAT RPG I played.... and i mean great overall, best story, graphics, battles everything.... Dragon Quest 8 for the ps2 ... the next rpg i'll get is the remake of FF7 for the PS4 (the first game to be released when it drops) .. other than that i find them so boring now
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    My dude on Fallout is doo doo brown.........
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited August 2011
    Options
    damn ppl still play RPG's ? .... them ? fell off IMO... prolly cuz i got older and they're so time consuming but the last GREAT RPG I played.... and i mean great overall, best story, graphics, battles everything.... Dragon Quest 8 for the ps2 ... the next rpg i'll get is the remake of FF7 for the PS4 (the first game to be released when it drops) .. other than that i find them so boring now

if a FFVII remake is gonna happen, it will be in 2017 for the 20th anniversary.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    of all the baby bird breeds they could have given him, they gave him a chicken. think about that for a second.

(yes i know its supposed to be a chocobo but still)

not just that

his aeon thing is a sports car AND in the opening cut scene everybody is riding smoothly on the airship yet this ? is hanging on the back(back of the bus)

his son was frozen as "ice"

i used to have a list of all the racist stuff that happened during ff13
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Dark Souls will still let you create a black character. You could make a Shaka Zulu level black man on Demons Souls.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Thought i was the only person to notice tht ? in Fallout.
    they dont let you make a brotha on that game. You can make the shade of the skin paper bag brown,but you can have black features.

And smh @ a sports game not allowing you to create a dark skinned player. Remind me of the time my homie showed me NHL 05 didnt allow you to make anything outside of a white player. I could accept that,thats hockey, but baseball???
    c'mon mayne
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    u ? dont remember double dribble ?? one blk guy per team,, u could never pass him the ball..lol
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Aiight, I first noticed this in Dragon Age 2 where the darkest you could make your character was "Hulk Hogan". Now I'm finally playin New Vegas for the first time and the darkest you can make a ? is Obama shade. WTF. I'm one of those race-conscious cats that strives to focus on the big picture and not petty stuff but this ? really bothers me for some reason lol.

I have a black character and noticed that when I got new armor to wear, my character had white hands when some of the arm armor's are equipped. Apparently they didn't take the time to do a skin for non-whites buying equipment.
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mass effect 2 they didnt let you make him much darker than obama either, I tried carrying over my character from ME1 and he was 3 shades lighter and he just looked weird as ? .
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Because dark-skinned black man seems more like a bad guy?